Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

grover posted:

I REALLY wish manufacturers would come up with standard li-ion batteries. We have AA, AAA, C, D, etc., that everyone uses; why the hell can't we do that with rechargeables?

Heh, inside the cells are an industry standards. I believe they're all the same. In this case you can see the 18650 cells (same cells in the tesla apparently). I'm a little surprised that some smaller players don't just make tools compatible with one of the major players. Perhaps they are concerned with lawsuits? On ebay 3rd parties sometimes make replacement batteries. In the case of 12V there is remarkable similarity between most of the packs, dewalt being one notable exception.

http://dewaltownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=439.0

Lithium does have the issue of needing control circuitry and there is room for the manufactures to implement that differently, but of course that could be standardized too.

But yeah it's annoying and I'm not sure how much it helps the manufacturers - it helps them when they're ahead in terms of popularity, but none of them stay there. And it hurts them when they're trying to catch up, like dewalt jumping into 12V lithium recently. The tools are good, but lots of people already have milwaukee/bosch/maikita etc 12V systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
As usual, the great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

NIST needs to step in, I think. I just shot an email to them. Probably an empty gesture, but at least I feel better.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It would not be a surprise if each of the various connector designs are patented to prevent exactly the unification you're wishing for. Or everyone's pulling an Apple and want a 'license fee' or similar for every device built by anyone else with that special snowflake connector.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

grover posted:

NIST needs to step in, I think. I just shot an email to them. Probably an empty gesture, but at least I feel better.

Don't forget ANSI and ISO!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Today I took apart that Craftsman/King Seeley lathe and a previous owner must have been from the 'it ain't tight until I grunt' school of fastener torquing... because obviously every nut, bolt and screw must be as tight as possible otherwise your manhood may be questioned.

The headstock pulley had been moved to the wrong place and the set screw left mushroomed pock marks on the spindle so I filed, polished, checked the bearings then reassembled. The spindle actually has factory dimples for the set screws, it's obvious where they should go. The bearings seem okay but they are ~60 years old so I'll end up replacing them for good measure.

The banjo (tool rest holder & clamp) would barely slide and no wonder, in 60 years no one bothered to file the casting where they rub. It was literally rough as a cob; there was flashing 1/8" wide. Five minutes with a file and now it glides (obviously) better than new.

The tailstock was not together correctly either and I'm still not sure it's correct. There seems to be something missing but I have a parts diagram and it doesn't show anything else. It works, mostly. I'll have to chat with someone more familiar with these lathes.

It's no wonder the folks I bought this from hated it so much but all it really needed was to be taken apart and reassembled correctly plus some file work.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Do you guys have any suggestions for a good socket wrench? I'm not looking to break the bank, but I'm willing to pay for good build quality.
Maybe this? http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-92-804-Piece-Socket-Set/dp/B000NIK9ZU/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1363015227&sr=1-2&keywords=socket+wrench

Also, what do you guys think of this drill guide?
http://www.amazon.com/Gator-V-Drill...tor+drill+guide

And Irwin is a good brand for clamps, right?
http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Industr...irwin+clamp+set

It'd be for a guitar project.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

TyChan posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good socket wrench? I'm not looking to break the bank, but I'm willing to pay for good build quality.
Maybe this? http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-92-804-Piece-Socket-Set/dp/B000NIK9ZU/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1363015227&sr=1-2&keywords=socket+wrench

I have a Stanley socket set that I've been mostly happy with, but ironically the ratchets themselves are the one thing that have had issues. The L/R toggle switches have always been extremely loose, to the point that just normal operation is enough to knock it into the in-between area that won't ratchet in either direction. They were like that pretty much from the start, and if I had more initiative on my part I'd probably look into what kind of warranty they have. I later bought a Craftsman ratchet loose, which has been a dream to use. I don't know if I just got a bad set or if they're all a bit off, but I would go to the hardware store and see if they would let you try one out first.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Cheap ratchets always have that l/r toggle fail, gently caress you Husky. Buy used american made ones, no matter the brand, cheaply.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Not an Anthem posted:

Cheap ratchets always have that l/r toggle fail, gently caress you Husky. Buy used american made ones, no matter the brand, cheaply.

The idea of buying used, good tools from old businesses or something like that always appealed to me. Do you have any suggestions on where I could shop?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

TyChan posted:

The idea of buying used, good tools from old businesses or something like that always appealed to me. Do you have any suggestions on where I could shop?

I get broken craftsman hand tools at garage sales quite often and turn them in for free replacement. Some thrift stores or estate sale stores may have what you are looking for.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've felt like craftsman ratchets are going downhill for a while now. I tend to break a few every couple months.

Husky ratchets are junk though, I can break them on command, and even if I don't try to, they generally break within 3-4 uses.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
My favorite ratchet/socket set is one I paid $5 for in an auto parts store like 20 years ago. I've abused the hell out of it, but it's never let me down. :h:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

TyChan posted:

And Irwin is a good brand for clamps, right?
http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Industr...irwin+clamp+set

It'd be for a guitar project.

Irwin clamps are excelent. If I remember correctly though Home Depot may have better prices for a set of them. Like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...51#.UT5lN-s_9Rs

For the socket set I was going to mention Tekton as well, although their $10 set has terrible reviews. But I've liked tekton when I've wanted inexpensive tools for things I didn't want to invest in. Slightly higher than harbor freight prices, much better quality in my experience so far anyway (clamps, pliers etc).

But that stanley looks like a decent buy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

iForge posted:

I get broken craftsman hand tools at garage sales quite often and turn them in for free replacement. Some thrift stores or estate sale stores may have what you are looking for.

I've read multiple accounts that Sears is no longer honoring the lifetime warranty, reportedly it depends on the store. The official policy is they will honor the warranty but in practice they are sometimes being difficult about it. Last time I used the warranty was for a broken wood handle on a hammer, I didn't actually expect them to replace it but they did (gave me a new hammer), that was years ago though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The reason some stores aren't honoring the lifetime warranty any more is specifically because people like iForge will go and scour garage sales for old/damaged tools and turn in ten at a time for new things they don't really deserve :ssh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I generally don't turn in tools I bought at a yard sale / found at the junkyard until they are actually broken.

When they finally break, in they go for replacement. Not going to waste their money replacing a socket I found in the mud because it's rusty, though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TyChan posted:

Incidentally, this Stanley 201 piece set is $68 on Amazon today.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NIK9UU...H0Q3XDAA4RWVABT

Also, I've been wanting one of those Gator drill guides for awhile now.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I think my last experience with the craftsman warranty was maybe a year ago. My hose nozzle was making like a sieve, and they gave me a new one without even batting an eye.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Sagebrush posted:

The reason some stores aren't honoring the lifetime warranty any more is specifically because people like iForge will go and scour garage sales for old/damaged tools and turn in ten at a time for new things they don't really deserve :ssh:

I call shenanigans on this. Its not like I buy them by the gross and turn them in, but I will get them when I see them and turn them in. Nothing wrong with what I'm doing. Unless you can link a news story confirming that there is a huge problem with people turning in broken tools that they bought second hand, I'd pump your brakes on that statement.

If I was doing this to re-sell them, I could see the problem.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

iForge posted:

I call shenanigans on this. Its not like I buy them by the gross and turn them in, but I will get them when I see them and turn them in. Nothing wrong with what I'm doing. Unless you can link a news story confirming that there is a huge problem with people turning in broken tools that they bought second hand, I'd pump your brakes on that statement.

If I was doing this to re-sell them, I could see the problem.

I don't see a problem with it, they were sold with a lifetime warranty and if they break Sears should honor the warranty regardless of your purpose or where you bought it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, unless there's some "NON-TRANSFERRABLE" clause in there, it's working exactly as designed.

It's more just that modern day Sears doesn't like old-time Sears' business plan, that's the actual problem with the whole thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

My issue with the whole thing is the definition of "break" - in my view, as long as the tool is performing as it's supposed to, it's not broken. Bringing used tools in for warranty that are just scratched up / worn / well used? That sorta seems skeezy. That's why I use em till they break (and that doesn't include intentionally breaking them) before exchanging stuff I didn't buy new.

Either way, I won't contribute further to this derail, as I've said my part... question. Where would one go to find 2" per foot automotive taper reamers for a reasonable price? I know of XKUT already, I just don't feel like dropping $100 on one cutting tool that I will likely use 4 times.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Either way, I won't contribute further to this derail, as I've said my part... question. Where would one go to find 2" per foot automotive taper reamers for a reasonable price? I know of XKUT already, I just don't feel like dropping $100 on one cutting tool that I will likely use 4 times.

Check an auto parts store and see if they do tool rentals, the ones near me will rent out tools like that (expensive and you only use it a couple times) for a reasonable fee plus deposit.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

What in the gently caress did I buy today? The (deceased) previous owner was a model maker for Boeing, if that helps any...

Its some kind of mini lathe thing. Probably about 14 inches long overall. It has a pulley for a belt, but also has a hand crank on it too. There is about 2 inches clearance between the chuck and tailstock piece. The frame is brass, the rusty stuff is iron, and the crank handle is wood. The Link below each pic goes to full size image. Anyone ever seen something like this? There are no markings on it to indicate a maker.

http://i.imgur.com/o5TNFOv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wYAWX3x.jpg

Edit: Turns out it is a very incomplete watchmaker's lathe. I am going back there Saturday and will look for any other parts for it.

Link to what it is kinda supposed to look like

iForge fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 15, 2013

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

iForge posted:

Edit: Turns out it is a very incomplete watchmaker's lathe. I am going back there Saturday and will look for any other parts for it.

Link to what it is kinda supposed to look like

I was going to say it looks like a watchmaker or a polishing lathe. Hopefully you can find more parts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That set of brushless Makita impact driver + drill arrived. They're awesome! They feel quite solid, and have a lot of power while being pretty lightweight. The brushless motors are very smooth and quiet, and stop on a dime. Good tools.

The battery charger beeps when it starts charging. If you don't like the beep you can turn it off, or alternatively make it play one of three short motifs taken from classical music. Everyone knows construction workers love Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. :japan:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

That set of brushless Makita impact driver + drill arrived. They're awesome! They feel quite solid, and have a lot of power while being pretty lightweight. The brushless motors are very smooth and quiet, and stop on a dime. Good tools.

The battery charger beeps when it starts charging. If you don't like the beep you can turn it off, or alternatively make it play one of three short motifs taken from classical music. Everyone knows construction workers love Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. :japan:

Enjoy them, my Makita cordless lithium tools have been tremendous performers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I have an old Makita 12v ni-cad drill that still works perfectly, but the battery life is getting pretty short so I guessed it was time to upgrade. As much as I like that old drill for its sentimental value, this new one is much nicer.

Also I really like Makita's corporate color.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
OK, I have to brag. I just won this:

in an auction. Not only was it just a good deal, this is a saw from my local community college (they upgraded to Sawstops) and I know the shop tech (who actually went to carpentry college in London) kept it in immaculate condition. I can't wait to go pick it up Monday ( and store it in my buddy's garage for six months, I'm just starting the permit process to get permission to build my garage/workshop :smith:). But it's a freaking Powermatic! :D

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Figure I should put a notice here...

If you buy Ryobi or Ridgid power tools, make sure you keep your receipt till you get home, and make sure you register them within the 90 day store warranty period. Once you have registered them, KEEP THE RECEIPT! You will need it if you want that 2 or 3 year warranty to be worth anything.

This probably goes for other brands too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's for realsies time to buy a bandsaw. I talk about this about once a year around this time (my birthday) but this year, I have a shop roughly three times the size of my old one, and I'm going to be here for a while so I want to pull the trigger. Aside from the normal bandsaw stuff, my other primary use will also be to resaw logs/boards from various local hardwoods. With that in mind, I need a big resaw capacity, and I figure I'll need at least a couple horsepower. I would like to keep a budget of around a grand, although if I could get a hugely better tool for a couple hundred more, I could probably swing that.

I think last time I was looking, this Rikon bandsaw got some good recommendations, although it's a bit light on the HP. I'm also considering this Grizzly or possibly this slightly bigger Grizzly, both of which I like the stats on more than the Rikon. Any thoughts, here?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

kastein posted:

If you buy Ryobi or Ridgid power tools, make sure you keep your receipt till you get home, and make sure you register them within the 90 day store warranty period. Once you have registered them, KEEP THE RECEIPT! You will need it if you want that 2 or 3 year warranty to be worth anything.

Sounds like somebody just got hosed out of a warranty. :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Sounds like somebody just got hosed out of a warranty. :(

Not quite yet I didn't.

There's some question as to whether or not my warranty will be honored on my Ridgid tools as they were gifts and as such I never got the receipts. One of my Ryobi nicad batteries croaked for absolutely no reason a few weeks ago, the returns desk person at home depot moved heaven and earth to try and get it warrantied for me but couldn't work anything out. She offered me a set of a few tools and a battery on discounted clearance for $20... I have my own plans as to how I'm going to warranty this battery and it involves that set and creative serial number switching when registering them.

Basically, if they're going to try and gently caress me out of a warranty, I lose all semblance of conscience when it comes to loving them into not loving me out of a warranty. So I'm going to buy the discount clearance set, register it with serial numbers and such but put in the serial number for the battery that croaked on me, then return the battery that came with the kit within 90 days and register the one I get. Then return the one that croaked on me under the extended warranty now that it's registered.

Try and gently caress me out of a warranty that I rightfully paid for, over stupid bullshit paperwork that 99% of owners will never realize they need to fill out? drat right I'll do everything in my power to get that poo poo honored even if it means creativity.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Not quite yet I didn't.

More than likely, you won't be able to register the old serial, they keep track of the dates of manufacture.

In any case, you are right, they will try to screw you any way they can. Rigid makes decent stuff, but the terms of the warranty are ridiculous: if you need one part warrantied, you have too send everything back, batteries, chargers, and all tools.

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010

t_violet posted:

OK, I have to brag. I just won this:

in an auction. Not only was it just a good deal, this is a saw from my local community college (they upgraded to Sawstops) and I know the shop tech (who actually went to carpentry college in London) kept it in immaculate condition. I can't wait to go pick it up Monday ( and store it in my buddy's garage for six months, I'm just starting the permit process to get permission to build my garage/workshop :smith:). But it's a freaking Powermatic! :D

How much did you pay for it? That thing looks lush.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kastein posted:

I had a cheap Delta table saw, and discovered well after the fact that the power cable had been defectively installed. No receipt or anything, but I called up Delta and bitched, and they sent me a new power cable at no charge.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Bad Munki posted:

It's for realsies time to buy a bandsaw. I talk about this about once a year around this time (my birthday) but this year, I have a shop roughly three times the size of my old one, and I'm going to be here for a while so I want to pull the trigger. Aside from the normal bandsaw stuff, my other primary use will also be to resaw logs/boards from various local hardwoods. With that in mind, I need a big resaw capacity, and I figure I'll need at least a couple horsepower. I would like to keep a budget of around a grand, although if I could get a hugely better tool for a couple hundred more, I could probably swing that.

I think last time I was looking, this Rikon bandsaw got some good recommendations, although it's a bit light on the HP. I'm also considering this Grizzly or possibly this slightly bigger Grizzly, both of which I like the stats on more than the Rikon. Any thoughts, here?

Here's a bandsaw for you:

An Oliver 30" bandsaw

Unfortunately it's somewhat out of your price range.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
There is a 36" like that for sale an hour from here for $1000.

I wish I had the space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090