Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
This was pretty intense.

http://everyplay.com/videos/31040

Skip to 1:20 if you're lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

You seriously need to just use them and decide for yourself whether a bigger screen or a smaller form factor is more important to you. Neither one is going to be objectively better for gaming, because it depends on what kind of games you're playing and what you like about either device.

Well I'm on a 4 and while the higher tier games look glorious, the thing is unwieldy as all hell.
Forget about holding the drat thing up while using virtual joystick for any length of time. Setting it down for action games isn't much better either.
Infinity Blade 1/2 is fine but it breaks my heart that Vice City is horrible to play.

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012

Nickoten posted:

Akinator's database is filled by our submitted content whenever we stump it, if I recall correctly. You're pretty much asking the internet if it's ever heard of this one dude.

Edit: Wow I shouldn't have let that post sit there for so long.

Looks like Cuckoo from that Cuckoo show stumped it on my first try. Suck on that Akinator!

e: oh balls it took like 32 turns

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wario In Real Life posted:

This was pretty intense.

http://everyplay.com/videos/31040

Skip to 1:20 if you're lazy.

Beating Depths 2: https://everyplay.com/videos/30984
Beating Forest 3: https://everyplay.com/videos/30986

and I don't even have everybody 2 starred yet!

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Cool dev hacks bro. :jerkbag:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Wario In Real Life posted:

Cool dev hacks bro. :jerkbag:

Pfft, the only IAP I am using is red gems, all legit.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I still can't even reliably beat Courtyard 1. I apparently suck at Not-A-Train-Game.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I'm having a lot of fun with Starbase Orion, but man, I suck at it so much.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

marshmonkey posted:

Beating Depths 2: https://everyplay.com/videos/30984
Beating Forest 3: https://everyplay.com/videos/30986

and I don't even have everybody 2 starred yet!

Ugggggghhhhh :argh: I gave up when I couldn't beat Castle 2, I never unlocked that 15th character :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shalinor posted:

I still can't even reliably beat Courtyard 1. I apparently suck at Not-A-Train-Game.

Practice and Upgrades. I used to have the hardest time with Courtyard 1. (I couldn't get past it.) Then I upgraded all my items and I got past it. Once I 3 Starred Boomey, I made it all the way to Courtyard 2 on my first go.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
So is this game snake/snafu with a chain of rpg characters or what? Swipe controls?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I take back what I said about Nimble Quest; It's growin' on me. I got 40 coins for joining #SA when that event that just finished and bought a few upgrades with them before jumping in the regular game and things are getting better. Boomy's level two now! :)

I don't like spending money to play in the arena though, because all those devil fire guys destroy me in like 15 seconds.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Anyone play Robotek? It is a really fun game with no IP needed. I would link it but I am on my ipad typing. It's very strategic on how to win. There are 3 types of slots that make actual dynamic strategy work. It just depends on what robots you have and pray the AI or your real life opponent doesn't roll doubles.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

randyest posted:

So is this game snake/snafu with a chain of rpg characters or what? Swipe controls?

Pretty much. Go download Call of Snakes, it's basically the same game with a little more customization.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sad lions posted:

Well I'm on a 4 and while the higher tier games look glorious, the thing is unwieldy as all hell.
Forget about holding the drat thing up while using virtual joystick for any length of time. Setting it down for action games isn't much better either.
Infinity Blade 1/2 is fine but it breaks my heart that Vice City is horrible to play.

I'm using a 3 and I've never had a problem holding it for long periods of time. I never even really had a problem holding the original. That's why I said he really needs to go and try them out and decide for himself, because there's no right answer here.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Davincie posted:

If anyone wants an endless runner that looks good and plays well (multiple ways past most obstacles) Epic Knight from the Tiny Heroes guys is pretty good and free. As long as you upgrade loot first you barely notice the standard iap as well.
I'm a sucker for these games when they're done well, thanks.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
Someone please visit my Museum in Happy Street. :negative:

GameCenter: Funksworth

Bummey
May 26, 2004

West Legends, a Battleheart clone, is on sale for one dollar. It's supposed to be pretty okay. Edit: its pretty okay. Definitely worth buying and playing.

http://appshopper.com/games/west-legends

Skip this poo poo. It's poo poo. And the Penny Arcade deck builder card game is on sale for one dollar, too.

http://appshopper.com/games/penny-arcade-the-game-gamers-vs-evil

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 22, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Robotek is really really cool and it's a much better implementation of the slot machine battle system than other stuff we've been seeing recently. It's hard to explain (but easy to understand upon playing the game) but I will try! Basically, the way it works is you and the enemy each have a big robot with a set amount of HP and you take turns spinning slots to attack. First one to drain the enemy's HP wins. You have three different sets of 3-reel slots to choose from each turn -- the first one summons robots that attack every turn, and soak up damage that would normally hit your main robot. The three symbols on the reel each represent a different minion, one defense-oriented, one attack-oriented, and one balanced. If you get more than one symbol for the same robot when you spin you can summon an advanced version of that robot or heal it if you already have one on the field. The second set of slots has symbols representing various utility spells -- creating a force field, hacking enemy minions and bringing them onto your team, or boosting the damage of your robot summons. Again, getting multiples of any of these symbols will boost the power of the ability. The third has more direct-damage related spells, with symbols representing stuff like an area-of-effect attack that hits the entire enemy team or a powerful single-target beam. When you're spinning, the first reel in the slot machine moves pretty slowly and you can stop it wherever you want so you do have some control over what attack you'll execute, but the element of luck with the other two reels keeps things interesting -- it seems like there's a neat rock-paper-scissors element between summoning, defending, and directly attacking and the game features a multiplayer duel mode that I haven't tried yet but might have some depth to it. Between battles in the campaign mode you gain XP, and when you level up you get skill points that you can use to permanently upgrade the abilities attached to different symbols on your reels.

Also, the game is free with an "energy" mechanic where you can gain more through IAP but hear me out: it's extremely generous as you don't actually lose energy unless you lose a battle, and the tutorial promises that if you play conservatively you can make it through the entire campaign with more than enough energy to spare. ALSO, if you make any purchase, even the 99 cent one, a method of regaining your energy in-game gets unlocked: so basically it's apparently possible to beat it without spending any money on IAP but if you DO decide to, it's pretty much a one-time purchase. It's a weird system that seems kind of convoluted but rest assured it's a lot freer than most "free" games out there and it will probably bankrupt the devs and not make them any money. Which is a shame, because the game is cool.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Robotek is a good game. The Penny Arcade deck builder, however, is not. It's a much more simplified version of Ascension but still manages to be way too busy and tedious at the same time. Pass.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh yeah I would have told you to sleep on that one, sorry. It's the first deckbuilding game I played that made me realize its come into its own as a genre enough since Dominion that we're seeing lovely, uninspired cash-ins. (eagerly awaiting Tanto Cuore iOS)

edit: WOW i was joking but: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...R_PUBLISHER.php

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Bummey posted:

Robotek is a good game. The Penny Arcade deck builder, however, is not. It's a much more simplified version of Ascension but still manages to be way too busy and tedious at the same time. Pass.

I was having a lot of fun with it until I got Ascension, and even after playing the hell out of that I still don't hate Gamers Vs. Evil. I do rather enjoy the comic strip so perhaps that helps.

Also, I just re-downloaded Jetpack Joyride after a large amount of time not playing, does it seem less fun now or am I just being weird? Has there ever been any major changes to it?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Seems AppShopper is coming back!

Touch Arcade posted:

A side bonus of using the Watch List is that once a game is released, it will move over to the "Released" side of the list, and you can get notified of any news or price drops even after it's already out. It's not as robust as the functionality you get using the AppShopper website or the (soon to return) AppShopper app, but it can still be handy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

I just picked up Robotek based on this and I have to agree, it's a great, fun game. Personally I like how the first wheel spins slowly so you actually have at least some control each round, King Cashing really bugs me with how awful I feel at working the wheels but here it's much more about probabilities and risk.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Bummey posted:

I played about 5 games of Penny Arcade and basically just wished I were playing Ascension. Not enough cards, not enough variety. I did like the characters and battling bosses for loot thing, but it's not really deep enough to make up for how much less there is to the game.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bummey posted:

Pretty much. Go download Call of Snakes, it's basically the same game with a little more customization.

Thanks it's fun. You're good at finding good games you should make more recommendations or start a blog or something.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Death Rally, a combat racer by the developers of Max Payne and Alan Wake where you can race Duke Nukem, just went free.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

randyest posted:

Thanks it's fun. You're good at finding good games you should make more recommendations or start a blog or something.

Don't give Bummey any ideas.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Funkz posted:

Someone please visit my Museum in Happy Street. :negative:

GameCenter: Funksworth

Repost in this thread :) - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519801

Or just add random people from the list in the OP.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

There's also a Google spreadsheet you can add yourself to for Happy Street.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
Didn't realize that Happy Street had its own thread. Thanks. :)

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Just wanted to post to declare that the Ridiculous Fishing shop music is the best fucken videogame tune all time, all my life. Even better than the NintendoLand startup song. Yup I said it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Raffles posted:

Just wanted to post to declare that the Ridiculous Fishing shop music is the best fucken videogame tune all time, all my life. Even better than the NintendoLand startup song. Yup I said it.

All the music is goddamn awesome. Every bit of it is goty

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Fazana posted:

I only caught mentioned of that today on Joystiq saying it was out "soon" and hopes were high because of the name behind it. I'm downloading it as I type, it appears to be a monster building strategy game with local or online multiplayer. It's freemium and from a completely unscientific check of what the IAP shows in the appstore it appears you buy some of the units/themes that way.

Edit: Not what I expected at all, it's like a board game and not the builder type I had expected. I will check it out at the weekend, see if I can get my son to play me at it to see whats what.

Yeah, it struck me as a bad boardgame. Was excited given the lineage, but given how it plays right now, I wouldn't tell you statesiders to get excited. :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Words also about love for Robotek.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Speaking of CCG's, this is coming to iPad: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/22/blizz-card-hearthstone-heroes-of-warcraft/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

This looks really fun. Seems like there's a sort of booster draft thing with the Forge mode, so that'll probably get me playing.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Now that EA has gone through a major shake-up, I would hope they would consider porting Ultima Online to the iPad? Just a thought.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
It's coming to PC and Mac first with an ipad version later "sometime." Already seen a ton of complaining about it being ipad only for mobiles.

What will make them yet more metric fucktons of money will be the small chance of loot cards they will stick into the $$ packs which will give you something when redeemed in WoW or D3.

VideoGameVet posted:

Now that EA has gone through a major shake-up, I would hope they would consider porting Ultima Online to the iPad? Just a thought.

The shitey Facebook-ish game is coming out soon apparently but I doubt they'd do anything with the MMO nowadays tbh.

The online MMO which appears to have an ipad client of some form on the way is Runescape (using html 5) and that could be fantastic. The gameplay would really suit a touch interface and the graphics would be just fine on it. I'd deffo resub again if I could play that on the move.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
http://everyplay.com/videos/31556

"It's not the size of your snake, it's how you use it."

Also the movespeed buff is the most evil thing in the world. Once you get used to playing with it, regular gameplay feels like literal quicksand. I'm highly contemplating dumping $5 on tokens so that I never have to worry about playing without it.

• Locked thread