Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Made a super tasty tomato soup from scratch today! One day, when I have my own little food truck, I think this is gonna be on the menu, because goddamn. All the people who suggested fish sauce were loving right, holy poo poo. So savory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sociopastry posted:

All the people who suggested fish sauce were loving right, holy poo poo. So savory!

:)

I love fish sauce /
fish sauce is my friend /
I would marry fish sauce /
if it had a cute tail-end

:holy:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

:)

I love fish sauce /
fish sauce is my friend /
I would marry fish sauce /
if it had a cute tail-end

:holy:

But would fish sauce marry you?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

But would fish sauce marry you?

I will forever be amazed that I convinced an amazingly cute girl to agree to marry me

(and I've seriously done a fishsauce devotional song/dance almost verbatim to the above in our kitchen, multiple times, much to her disbelief)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Which fish sauce is the best fish sauce?
I normally just grab some unpronounceable name brand from a small asian market I go too.
Had some just then with juiced lime and chilli in a "Thai" salad. It was nice.

Edit: I read the back of the label, it was Tra Chang from Thailand. Aged two years they say...
Well it was only $1.15

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 22, 2013

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
The worst part about becoming a vegetarian was giving up fish sauce. Steak, pancetta, falling-apart curries - whatever. Fish sauce - tragedy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fo3 posted:

I normally just grab some unpronounceable name brand from a small asian market I go too.

Edit: I read the back of the label, it was Tra Chang from Thailand. Aged two years they say...
Well it was only $1.15

The undisputed Heavyweight CHAMPION OF THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD fish sauce is Red Boat. It's pretty drat expensive and I've never had the pleasure of trying it but apparently it's the bee's knees.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Vagueabond posted:

The worst part about becoming a vegetarian was giving up fish sauce. Steak, pancetta, falling-apart curries - whatever. Fish sauce - tragedy.

Not gonna say it tastes like fish sauce because what does but there are more than a few umami flavors you could sub in for that would make a different, if just as good, dish.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

Not gonna say it tastes like fish sauce because what does but there are more than a few umami flavors you could sub in for that would make a different, if just as good, dish.

Please elaborate. I'm interested.

Also, I think I might be getting quinsey again.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Quinsy/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Read the treatments. :aah: Going to the doctor to hopefully catch it before physical intervention is needed.

therattle fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 22, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Braggs liquid aminos are pretty good for that.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Please elaborate. I'm interested.

Also, I think I might be getting quinsey again.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Quinsy/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Read the treatments. :aah: Going to the doctor to hopefully catch it before physical intervention is needed.

I'm a fan of golden mountain sauce (which I call in my head "golden shower sauce" because I'm a 12 year old in my head). Barring that, there's also, as wiggles mentioned, bragg's liquid aminos. I've also seen vegetarian fish sauce in a thai grocery store ages ago, and I'm sure it's still out there.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

I'm a fan of golden mountain sauce (which I call in my head "golden shower sauce" because I'm a 12 year old in my head). Barring that, there's also, as wiggles mentioned, bragg's liquid aminos. I've also seen vegetarian fish sauce in a thai grocery store ages ago, and I'm sure it's still out there.

dino., I'll have you know that I would never have made that connection, you depraved beast.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fo3 posted:

Well it was only $1.15

my One True Fishsauce is Flying Lion

http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Lion-Vietnamese-Style-Fish-Sauce/dp/B0000CNU56 (the price on amazon is ridiculous)

I've been gifted red boat, and have tried about 8 other fish sauces, and this one really outclasses everything. except red boat, I'd put them on about the same level. I loved red boat, but I wouldn't say it was any better than flying lion, and the price is absurd.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

my One True Fishsauce is Flying Lion

http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Lion-Vietnamese-Style-Fish-Sauce/dp/B0000CNU56 (the price on amazon is ridiculous)

No joke, I can get that stuff at my local asian market for like 8bux.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Re: veg fish sauce - yeah, I know about the alternatives and use Golden Mountain myself. But... it's not fish sauce. I've tried the "vegetarian fish sauce" before and it wasn't quite right either.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Vagueabond posted:

Vegetarian by day, secretly pescetarian by night!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vagueabond posted:

Re: veg fish sauce - yeah, I know about the alternatives and use Golden Mountain myself. But... it's not fish sauce. I've tried the "vegetarian fish sauce" before and it wasn't quite right either.

Well, obviously nobody is expecting an exact like for like substitute.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
For the first time in my Life I've started an actual diet and it already kind of sucks, a bit over one week in. I'm just cutting calories, and not gone for some specific diet, like LCHF or similar. The only real change is that I'm sort of going for an intermittent fasting approach, since I'm not a breakfast person anyway, but otherwise I eat like I normally do, just a bit less. It's just really frustrating to not be able to eat when I'm hungry, just because I've hit my calorie goals for the day. And counting calories is fiddly and time consuming. Thankfully I'm only looking at losing 8-10 Pounds or so, so it won't be a very long process, if I do it correctly, but drat I can't imagine I'd ever manage to stick to a diet if I actually had to lose a substantial amount of weight.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
If you are hungry but have hit your calorie goals, maybe your calorie restriction is too harsh or you are eating foods that are too calorie dense. Obviously it depends on what you're eating but in my case I could just substitute white bread with oatmeal and wholegrain rye to save a lot of calories.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I could probably have drunk a bit less milk today in favour of some solid foods, but overall hunger really isn't a major issue. I'm not famished or anything. It's just that I'm not used to actually curbing the reflex to eat something when I feel a bit peckish. Maybe I've cut back a bit much, but it's a bit early into the diet to tell yet. I'll see how my weight is next weekend.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I'm not saying you should go low carb - but this is why those diets are popular. You don't necessarily lose weight by cutting out all your carbs (aside from water weight), but by eating just protein and fat, you can maintain your calorie deficits while maintaining satiety.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
My protein vs. carb ratio is pretty good as it is, and I want a decent amount of good carbs, since I don't really want to train without them. Overall satiety isn't a major issue. It's just merely unexpected annoyance at not being able to indulge in food related whims as I usually do. :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just get used to hunger, and after a while, it won't be a big deal. I've been 180 since I was in highschool, but this year I decided I wanted to drop down to about 150. So I got a cool calorie counting app, cut myself to 1200 calories a day, and started watching the pounds melt away. Just stick to it and you'll be fine.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The first week-ish of a diet is the worst part by far anyway. Every time I start a calorie deficit I feel like I can't handle it for a week and then my body adjusts and it's fine.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Hey so if I want to hang a pancetta up over my sink in the kitchen am I going to need to wrap it in cheesecloth? I intend to drill straight through the bottom of a cupboard to mount a sturdy hook, even though we are just renting the place.

I figure that pork belly is an okay thing to lose a small deposit over.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Walk Away posted:

Hey so if I want to hang a pancetta up over my sink in the kitchen am I going to need to wrap it in cheesecloth? I intend to drill straight through the bottom of a cupboard to mount a sturdy hook, even though we are just renting the place.

I figure that pork belly is an okay thing to lose a small deposit over.

hehe this will end poorly

you need to really diligently watch your humidity/temperature levels, particularly with thicker rolled items like pancetta. I've had duck breasts where I even thought I was watching my humidity well enough in a controlled wine-fridge environment, and I cut it open 3 weeks later and it's still raw inside. :(

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The single worst thing about PAX East: 5 days of convention center food. Carnival fare, greasy marginal quality meats, and everything comes with fries. Some lovely espresso, too.

The BCEC folks have gotten extra strict about the outside food thing; they wouldn't even let us bring in a stack of pizzas for the setup crew on Wednesday. loving assholes stopped it at the dock.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

The single worst thing about PAX East: 5 days of convention center food. Carnival fare, greasy marginal quality meats, and everything comes with fries. Some lovely espresso, too.

The BCEC folks have gotten extra strict about the outside food thing; they wouldn't even let us bring in a stack of pizzas for the setup crew on Wednesday. loving assholes stopped it at the dock.

Ugh. That's really grim.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

mindphlux posted:

hehe this will end poorly

you need to really diligently watch your humidity/temperature levels, particularly with thicker rolled items like pancetta. I've had duck breasts where I even thought I was watching my humidity well enough in a controlled wine-fridge environment, and I cut it open 3 weeks later and it's still raw inside. :(

Okay so where is a good place? What humidity/temperature levels should I look for? I only have an apartment but I'm sure I can rig up something that will work.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Walk Away posted:

Okay so where is a good place? What humidity/temperature levels should I look for? I only have an apartment but I'm sure I can rig up something that will work.

We have a thread for just these questions!
Charcuterie: What if I leave this meat in my fridge for 6 months?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Saw that duck prosciutto, remembered I had some duck breast in the freezer, now I'm making duck prosciutto.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squashy Nipples posted:

Any good stories about PAX then? I wanna go someday, but I haven't gotten a chance yet.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Walk Away posted:

this is off the top of my head, but you're looking for humidity of about 70-75%, and temperatures around 55.

my failed experiments have happened mostly because my humidity stays around 40. I've been able to regulate temperature pretty well using some industrial sensors, but I haven't found a small/compact enough humidifier solution that I could slap in a wine fridge / mini fridge without creating serious localized humidity problems or just blasting my meat with water. suggestions welcome.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Any good stories about PAX then? I wanna go someday, but I haven't gotten a chance yet.

None of the kind of stories that you like, you weirdo. Mostly normal PAX stuff: I got to see some new games, came in 7th in a classic console tourney, learned how to play Warmachine, watched a pro pinball player hit the same shot 10 times in a row, got to play with the new Wii, ran a 6 on 6 Artemis tourney, got to play CS Joust for this first time, and bullshitted with a bunch of developers and vendors.

Well, ok, I did get a massage from a man in Enforcer Land. It was perfectly innocent, but if you want to read something dirty into that, go for it.

EDIT:
I meant "weirdo" in a loving, endearing way.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 26, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Make friends with the Teamsters, I assure you they are not buying food at the center. Also just make the pizza with a "Exhibit Materials" sticker and argue until they let it in.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bunnielab posted:

Make friends with the Teamsters, I assure you they are not buying food at the center. Also just make the pizza with a "Exhibit Materials" sticker and argue until they let it in.

Wait a minute... argue with teamsters? Are you out of your loving mind?

First of all, who do you think stopped the pizza? Second, there is little chance of befriending them, as they view the PAX Enforcer staff as scab labor. God forbid you carry anything over certain magic lines.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Threw some apples, pumpkin pie spices, and a little key lime juice into the crock pot last night. Woke up today to amazing and delicious applesauce. :woop:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mindphlux posted:

this is off the top of my head, but you're looking for humidity of about 70-75%, and temperatures around 55.

my failed experiments have happened mostly because my humidity stays around 40. I've been able to regulate temperature pretty well using some industrial sensors, but I haven't found a small/compact enough humidifier solution that I could slap in a wine fridge / mini fridge without creating serious localized humidity problems or just blasting my meat with water. suggestions welcome.

You could cut a hole in the side and attach a hose from a small humidifier output, then plug it into a humidity sensor, whose probe would sit inside of the cooler.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squashy Nipples posted:

None of the kind of stories that you like, you weirdo. Mostly normal PAX stuff: I got to see some new games, came in 7th in a classic console tourney, learned how to play Warmachine, watched a pro pinball player hit the same shot 10 times in a row, got to play with the new Wii, ran a 6 on 6 Artemis tourney, got to play CS Joust for this first time, and bullshitted with a bunch of developers and vendors.

Well, ok, I did get a massage from a man in Enforcer Land. It was perfectly innocent, but if you want to read something dirty into that, go for it.

EDIT:
I meant "weirdo" in a loving, endearing way.

Well that's the kinda thing I meant, geez :v:. Other cons are for bouncy bouncy, PAX is for the vidya. What's Artemis? And combolations on the classic console tourney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ugh. I just discovered this restaurant supply store that kicks rear end only to find out that you need a membership to shop there and can't get a membership without owning a restaurant or food distribution license. :negative: