Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'm trying to make mead, and following a recipe that has everything listed in terms of days - 3 to 4 days for primary fermentation, specifically. Now that it's actually been bubbling away for a few days, I'm looking around more online and people are saying it's more like a month or two in primary.

I honestly had no idea it took that long. Oh well, guess we'll have booze in the summertime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
You can make a short mead, which takes maybe 10 days at the worst.

edit: Well the internet insists that short is 3 months but I swear I have one that's 7-10 days. I'll find it when I get home.

I know that Real Good Mead takes 8 months or more. My friend made some and it was unspeakably good.

edit2: Getting close, here's a 3 week example http://amazingmead.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/orange-spiced-short-mead-drinkable-in-3-weeks/

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 21, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since chicken thighs just came up, I'm going to make Coq au Vin again on saturday and was wondering how long I'm likely to need to cook it until the meat just falls off the bones? It just makes it easier to chill portions to take for lunch if there is no bone to deal with

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I am making a cake I want to make this cake http://foodwishes.blogspot.ca/2013/02/chocolate-sour-cream-bundt-cake-you.html but I want to layer it 3 layers with Raspberry Mousse inside then covered with what the recipe calls for. My question is will this taste good? I don't normally mix raspberries and chocolate and have never made a mousee before.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I got a weird question. My significant other is a giant baby, and she refuses to eat a large number of otherwise wholesome and delectable foods. Included amongst these is beans. Doesn't matter on the kind or sort, she just hates the texture. However, she doesn't have any problem with beans when they are no longer in bean form - which I know sounds weird, but she'll eat refried beans quite happily and in the same dish pick out any whole beans.

This is a bummer because I like beans, and beans are cheap and good for you. Are there any good recipes or ways to use beans that change their texture from beans to, uh, bean paste?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Von Humboldt posted:

I got a weird question. My significant other is a giant baby, and she refuses to eat a large number of otherwise wholesome and delectable foods. Included amongst these is beans. Doesn't matter on the kind or sort, she just hates the texture. However, she doesn't have any problem with beans when they are no longer in bean form - which I know sounds weird, but she'll eat refried beans quite happily and in the same dish pick out any whole beans.

This is a bummer because I like beans, and beans are cheap and good for you. Are there any good recipes or ways to use beans that change their texture from beans to, uh, bean paste?

Does she like redbeans and rice or white beans and rice?

The cajun recipe for that is pretty much the easiest thing in the world to make and kind of makes them mushy and paste like to a degree. It's also incredibly cheap and easy to make.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Hollis posted:

I am making a cake I want to make this cake http://foodwishes.blogspot.ca/2013/02/chocolate-sour-cream-bundt-cake-you.html but I want to layer it 3 layers with Raspberry Mousse inside then covered with what the recipe calls for. My question is will this taste good? I don't normally mix raspberries and chocolate and have never made a mousee before.

Yes. Raspberries and chocolate are a classic (and delicious!) pairing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I just made some coconut milk (note: use a blender when you do it, it took forever to do it with my microplane...), what is something good to make with it? It's a bit watery, but tastes distinctly of coconut. Because it's not thick enough I wasn't going to use it for curry since I like those a bit thick. I have about a quart maybe.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Scott Bakula posted:

Since chicken thighs just came up, I'm going to make Coq au Vin again on saturday and was wondering how long I'm likely to need to cook it until the meat just falls off the bones? It just makes it easier to chill portions to take for lunch if there is no bone to deal with

Since noone has answered you yet- it may not be equivalent but in case it helps, last time I kept a chicken at an extremely low simmer it was cooked but still a little tough at one hour, falling off the bone in 2.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What are some nice smoked salt flavors to have and where should I procure them? I got reminded of them looking at a pulled pork recipe (will the compounds really come through in a brine? I figured everything would need to be water-soluble) but they seem like they would be nice to have on hand to finish dishes.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Does putting raw spinach in fruit smoothies leave an odd taste? I hear it recommended all the time but haven't yet mustered the courage to try it myself.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Ron Don Volante posted:

Does putting raw spinach in fruit smoothies leave an odd taste? I hear it recommended all the time but haven't yet mustered the courage to try it myself.

It will leave a slight vegetal, raw greens taste in there that will be noticable. It'll taste "off" if you're used to fruit-only smoothies. Try it, you may like it.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 22, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Von Humboldt posted:

Hummus with chickpeas served on bread?

Beans in italian cooking are sometimes cooked and pureed and served in a broth with pasta. Usually berlotti or cannelloni white beans. Look up pasta e fagioli for example. Can make it soupy or drier depending on preference.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Sever.

But yeah also there are more than a few stews you could make and puree the beans.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Would anyone care to link/type their favored shrimp curry recipe? Thai, if possible?

Thank you!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Why are so many tomato products loaded with sugar? My mom bought some tomato & red pepper soup from Trader Joes and there's more sugar than red pepper! Pizza sauce, tomato sauce, loaded with sugar. Why?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

Why are so many tomato products loaded with sugar? My mom bought some tomato & red pepper soup from Trader Joes and there's more sugar than red pepper! Pizza sauce, tomato sauce, loaded with sugar. Why?

To cover crap tomatoes, sugar is added. Good tomatoes will have a natural sweetness, and a beautiful, rounded tartness that comes from inside. Unfortunately, they don't necessarily net the largest or heaviest tomatoes. So the crap ones that have the taste profile of a cardboard box are grown instead. And then to cover the fact that the tomatoes are utter and complete rubbish, a truckload of sugar and sometimes citric acid is added to fake the flavour.

Also, people are addicted to sugar, and packaged food is created to make you want to eat more of it. Fat, salt, and sugar are usual culprits for packaged foods. It's why you should avoid them if at all possible.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

dino. posted:

To cover crap tomatoes, sugar is added. Good tomatoes will have a natural sweetness, and a beautiful, rounded tartness that comes from inside. Unfortunately, they don't necessarily net the largest or heaviest tomatoes. So the crap ones that have the taste profile of a cardboard box are grown instead. And then to cover the fact that the tomatoes are utter and complete rubbish, a truckload of sugar and sometimes citric acid is added to fake the flavour.

Also, people are addicted to sugar, and packaged food is created to make you want to eat more of it. Fat, salt, and sugar are usual culprits for packaged foods. It's why you should avoid them if at all possible.

I had a pasta sauce disaster a few weeks ago that ended up in the sauce being both over-salted and way too sugary (don't ask, I am still reeling from the shame) and the similarity between what I ended up with and jarred pasta sauces was uncanny. I do not understand how some people can prefer that stuff.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Sounds like it's time to start making your own tomato and pepper soup :D

Soups are great because they're incredibly easy to make. Chop, mix, wait!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

dino. posted:

The difference between out of season tomatoes and bad canned tomatoes versus fresh are just insane.

quote:

It's also that people now expect food to taste like that. There's a pleasure response for sure from fat, salt, and sugar, but people just think that is how food is supposed to taste now.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 22, 2013

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
There is nothing wrong with most canned tomatoes :colbert:

In fact, most markets in the US have either really lovely produce, or can't get the right kind for sauce. I use almost exclusively canned diced tomatoes for my sauces.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

dino. posted:

Unfortunately, they don't necessarily net the largest or heaviest tomatoes. So the crap ones that have the taste profile of a cardboard box are grown instead.

Not exactly to do with yield. More that a ripe tomato on the vine will never make it to market without rotting so they are harvested green and force ripened with ethylene. There's a shitton of stuff like that. Tomatoes need to be able to be piled into a box together so they're bred to be sturdy not flavorful, sturdy enough to pile into a well calculated box of given dimensions and not crush the ones on the bottom then make it to a distro warehouse then make it to the grocer without molding or cracking or crushing.

Flavor plays almost no factor in these considerations.

therefore, grow your own tomatoes.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

therefore, grow your own tomatoes.

I think someone asked before (maybe in the cheap thread), but has anyone tried one of those ~Topsy Turvy~ tomato plants? I'll assume the seeds are garbage but it should be ok with any given tomato seed, right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

totalnewbie posted:

Sounds like it's time to start making your own tomato and pepper soup :D

Soups are great because they're incredibly easy to make. Chop, mix, wait!

Don't worry, ever since I wandered into GWS I only make my own soups now. I was just curious because sugar seemed like such an odd thing to associate with tomatoes so strongly. Thanks, guys

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Saint Darwin posted:

I think someone asked before (maybe in the cheap thread), but has anyone tried one of those ~Topsy Turvy~ tomato plants? I'll assume the seeds are garbage but it should be ok with any given tomato seed, right?

The seeds are fine too. They really work well. I've had friends have great success with those things.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Saint Darwin posted:

They're ok, but you can make them out of a 5 gallon bucket for way cheaper/free. The "gravity nutrient" whatever stuff they say in the commercials is garbage. It's just a way to grow food hanging. The soil dries out a lot faster than in the ground. If you want to grow tomatoes in a cheap container, I would do a self watering 18gal containers or 5 gal buckets: http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

If you have to stick with conventional containers, find the "Sweet 'n Neat" variety, or the "Patio" variety works alright, too.

If you have the space, a raised bed is probably the best bet to start gardening now. You can build them out of cheap scrap lumber or :effort: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Pots-Big-Fabric-Raised/dp/B007BVKDZI

RE: seed. You can start seed if you want, but tomato seeds can be kind of a pain to start without ample light. If this is your first time gardening, I would just get plant starts from a local nursery. Mine charge 3bux for 6pack of plants, so it's pretty affordable. If you're growing on a patio or balcony, I would stick to "determinate" varieties of tomato, as "indeterminates" may take over your apartment.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gravity is turning into a real farmer :kimchi:

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I want to buy a new gas grill, something for just me and my girlfriend to use, nothing huge or whatever. Want a good quality piece, so spending limit is 4-600 or so.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
RE: Tomatoes, I once read somewhere that it's recommended that they get a set number of hours of direct sunlight. Would it be okay to plant them somewhere that gets full sunlight, or just partial shade, like close to our garage?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
If in pots or other containers, I find morning sunlight is best. I grow chillies and tomatoes to get 6 hrs of direct sunlight (from 6am to 12pm), then they are shaded for the afternoon.
Full sunlight is OK if planted in the ground, but in containers the roots get too hot when in direct sun all day, the plant is wilted all the time, fruit gets sun scalded and you end up over watering and killing the roots.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

kinmik posted:

RE: Tomatoes, I once read somewhere that it's recommended that they get a set number of hours of direct sunlight. Would it be okay to plant them somewhere that gets full sunlight, or just partial shade, like close to our garage?

depends on a lot of things. How hot it gets where you are, watering schedule, fertility of the soil, variety of plant. Technically "full sun" means 6 hrs or more of direct sunlight, so Fo3's 6 hrs of sun a day is still in the "full sun" category. Like (s)he mentioned, containers are kinda sensitive to soil temps and afternoon sun is brutal. But you know, sometimes some varieties just don't give a drat about recommendations. My parents grow Early Girls every year in SF's East Bay on the side of their house. They probably get 2 hours max, of direct sunlight, at noon. But for some reason those fuckers produce like mad, Early Girls are still one of my favorite varieties for just sheer bulk and consistency of production. They're indeterminate though, so they can get quite ungraceful looking.

Really the best way to find out is to ask a local master gardener for specific variety recommendations, then try a good assortment and take note of what worked and what didn't. Don't skimp on the soil amending, for tomatoes I save up eggshells and then blitz em in a blender with some water and mix into the soil (they need calcium to set blossoms into fruits).

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 23, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
That would take a long time to break down (calcium from egg shells that is).
Best tip I heard is soak broken egg shells in vinegar. After 2 weeks the vinegar has dissolved the egg as best it can (you'll know it's no longer acidic and safe to use on plants when scum starts growing in the container). Some people burn the egg shells first before adding vinegar to sterilise them and minimise scum growth in this stage.
Pour off the liquid, I usually use about 40ml per 9L watering can.
Top up the old egg shells with fresh vinegar for another 2 weeks.
You could still compost or chuck egg shells into the soil, but this is a quick pick me up when they really need calcium, usually after the first harvest.

Edit: Potassium is another mineral that fruiting plants need a lot of.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 23, 2013

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

RazorBunny posted:

I'm trying to make mead, and following a recipe that has everything listed in terms of days - 3 to 4 days for primary fermentation, specifically. Now that it's actually been bubbling away for a few days, I'm looking around more online and people are saying it's more like a month or two in primary.

I honestly had no idea it took that long. Oh well, guess we'll have booze in the summertime.

For what it's worth, even when my meads are done, they tend to benefit from some extra time so I usually go an extra couple months after they're done.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What's the best width for a cannoli form (I'm going to make my own) and is metal or wood better? I'm thinking metal, 1 inch.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
In my experience dough sticks more to metal than to wood, but ive never made cannoli

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I want to make apple strudel for a brunch. Can I make it the day before (like a pie) or is it going to get soggy?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone got a gluten-free coating for frying fish?

I've always just gone with cornmeal / a little flour but want to make some for a person with a gluten allergy.

I've tried coconut flour and it browns too quickly and darkly giving it a slight burnt flavor even if the oil was a little colder than I'd have liked.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Breaky posted:

Anyone got a gluten-free coating for frying fish?

I've always just gone with cornmeal / a little flour but want to make some for a person with a gluten allergy.

I've tried coconut flour and it browns too quickly and darkly giving it a slight burnt flavor even if the oil was a little colder than I'd have liked.

tapioca flour makes a really crisp coating for delicate meats like fish.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GrAviTy84 posted:

tapioca flour makes a really crisp coating for delicate meats like fish.

Excellent, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putka
Apr 11, 2007
Jailhouse rock!
Are ceramic frying pans worth it?