Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Zombie survival guide but thats not really what you're asking methinks. Its also not that interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Since we're on a zombie kick here, has anyone seen Mimesis: Night of the Living Dead? I just saw it for sale in the new releases section at HMV, but according to IMDB it came out in 2011. Has anyone seen this?

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Since we're on a zombie kick here, has anyone seen Mimesis: Night of the Living Dead? I just saw it for sale in the new releases section at HMV, but according to IMDB it came out in 2011. Has anyone seen this?

I saw this at Rock & Shock last year, it had its moments (and fun Sid Haig and Courtney Gaines cameos) but overall kind of flopped. It's campy and an interesting concept, and definitely has a lot of respect for NOTLD, but ultimately didn't amount to much in terms of story or motive.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

demozthenes posted:

I saw this at Rock & Shock last year, it had its moments (and fun Sid Haig and Courtney Gaines cameos) but overall kind of flopped. It's campy and an interesting concept, and definitely has a lot of respect for NOTLD, but ultimately didn't amount to much in terms of story or motive.

Thanks for the info. The concept did look intriguing, but it definitely seems like the type of thing that will end up on netflix in a few months. I'll probably watch it then.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

StickySweater posted:

While we're on the subject, I'd like to make some comments about Night of the Living Dead (1990). It's directed by Tom Savini and includes many of the people who worked on the original. It stuck close to the original script with a few minor alterations. Overall, I definitely enjoyed it.

Also it was made partially as a way to reclaim the first film of the series by Romero (because the original is not copyrighted properly) and was given to Savini to direct partially as a consolation for the fact that he was supposed to be involved in the production of the original but couldn't due to his serving in Vietnam at the time.

I like the 1990 version quite a bit personally. It's not as good as the original but it's a fun film and it would be a huge mistake for a horror fan to skip it. I think one of the key things to think about with this version is that when people always refer to it as "Night of the Living Dead 1990" they are actually doing you a favour by reminding you that not only is it a remake, but it's very much of it's new time period. Just like the first Night was of its time, this version is of 1990, for better or worse. Deal with it.

Also I'd like to randomly put it out there that I'm a big fan of the Argento cut of Dawn for rewatch purposes because Argento's version is more action oriented and features more music by Goblin (always a good thing). I wouldn't recommend it as the way to watch Dawn the first time, but for rewatches you can just fill in the character development blanks in Argento's cut on your own anyway.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I greatly prefer the mixture of stock music and the Goblin score, the all Goblin score makes it a more serious and less sarcastic movie.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I greatly prefer the mixture of stock music and the Goblin score, the all Goblin score makes it a more serious and less sarcastic movie.

Fair enough. Argento's version is more of an action film cut. Did he miss the point? Probably. Did he still make an interesting cut that works? Yup.

Goblin soundtracks make everything sound serious and intense. I like rewatching old episodes of "Friends" with Goblin playing in the background. It makes that show watchable really.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So this popped up on my facebook.

quote:

Meet One Of “The Animals” On This Exclusive ‘You’re Next’ Poster Premiere!

More info here,
http://bdisgusting.com/14fEICl

The idea of the movie sounds kind of cool. Any one heard more about this?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Their soundtracks for Supsiria and Tenebrae are much more playful, I love those. It's like a Wang Chung soundtrack versus a Tangerine Dream soundtrack. Tenebrae's title track in particular is very cheesy, it sounds like a funky Alice Cooper song or something.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Their soundtracks for Supsiria and Tenebrae are much more playful, I love those. It's like a Wang Chung soundtrack versus a Tangerine Dream soundtrack. Tenebrae's title track in particular is very cheesy, it sounds like a funky Alice Cooper song or something.

Between this and your post about the William Petersen Twilight Zone episode you should do what I did last night and watch To Live and Die in LA. Man, I really loved the poo poo out of that film and I have no idea why it took me so long to see it.

I think I'll watch Manhunter tonight

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I agree with you on both points Hundu. This thread is now about awesome horror soundtracks. One of my favourites has always been Bernard Hermann's work on DePalma's Sisters:

http://youtu.be/Lfeh55s7buE

I wish Hermann had worked with DePalma more, especially with the thriller/horror films.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Parachute posted:

Between this and your post about the William Petersen Twilight Zone episode you should do what I did last night and watch To Live and Die in LA. Man, I really loved the poo poo out of that film and I have no idea why it took me so long to see it.

I adore Petersen in To Live And Die In LA.

Also, Wang Chung.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

I think I'll watch Manhunter tonight

Surely you jest, although I've since come around on the To Live And Die In L.A. soundtrack. It's just so incongruous with the Sorcerer soundtrack, which is one of my favorites ever, period.

quote:

I think that's the first time I've seen someone say the first season of Twin Peaks is the bad one.

To Live And Die In L.A.
dir. William Friedkin

First off, the resemblance to Miami Vice cannot be understated, and I don't mean that disparagingly since Miami Vice is one of the most thoroughly cinematic TV shows ever made. The Miami Vice comparison also makes more sense to me when talking about "neo-noir", when it's a clear forerunner for stuff like Mann's L.A. Takedown, rather than resembling the neo-noir of DePalma, which basically created the modern "erotic thriller". Secondly, the Wang Chung soundtrack blows. Dancehall Days is a great song but Wang Chung's soundtrack is just inappropriate, rather than unusual, especially when compared to Tangerine Dream's excellent soundtrack for Sorcerer.

If it weren't so good, you could accuse it of being a relocation of The French Connection, with the same moral inversion of protagonist and antagonist, chase sequence, frustrated revenge plot, etc. William Petersen's increasingly reckless pursuit of Willem Dafoe's master counterfeiter is very similar to Popeye Doyle's, but like Cruising, the bleak open ending is making me realize the kind of character Friedkin likes dealing with.

Even in that piece of poo poo, Deal of The Century, the three leads essentially have no particular moral grounding, even Gregory Hines' arms dealer who arbitrarily decides he wants to give his life to Jesus Christ. This ultimately manifests itself as what amounts to a terrorist act at an arms industry expo. Doyle kills the wrong guy at the end of The French Connection and it doesn't even serve as a means to an end, since the guy he's pursuing gets away. The fact that Steve Burns easily catches the serial killer in Cruising just punctuates the fact that he himself has committed a heinous murder himself. Father Karras is a priest but he is deeply conflicted about his role is in the attempted exorcism of Regan McNeil. There are no paragons or morally rigid people in these movies.

These aren't aspirational figures, although Tony Pino is seen as a hero at the end of The Brink's Job, he isn't. His "heroism"/aspirational quality is his self-assurance. He isn't self destructive because he's comfortable with himself. The protagonist of Rampage is an excellent example of this. Contrast this with the mercenaries and lost souls in Sorcerer, who don't know what they are. Survival is money, and that's the only thing that defines them, to the point where they're willing to die over it. Really loving good, Willem Dafoe is excellent (he's never better as a villain, between this, Speed 2 and Wild At Heart) and I wish I knew how William Petersen went from Thief, this and Manhunter to a bunch of bullshit.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Surely you jest, although I've since come around on the To Live And Die In L.A. soundtrack. It's just so incongruous with the Sorcerer soundtrack, which is one of my favorites ever, period.

I definitely assumed you had watched it - I just hadn't until last night. Also, I have the option of watching Sorcerer tonight as well, hmmmm.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Laff, Petersen was in Thief for like 2 seconds. Manhunter rules though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Parachute posted:

I definitely assumed you had watched it - I just hadn't until last night. Also, I have the option of watching Sorcerer tonight as well, hmmmm.

God, I love Sorcerer. I was set to re-release the soundtrack actually, but then... didn't.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, but the point was, he's in it! Unfortunately not as much as fuckin' Jim Belushi is.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Volume posted:

So this popped up on my facebook.

The idea of the movie sounds kind of cool. Any one heard more about this?

It's getting all kinds of buzz lately.

all the reviews I've read on it have been pretty glowing, apparently it puts some twists on the home invasion genre.

AICN loves it, and Horrornews.net, and bloody-disgusting (but I think this is one of their releases?)

I know it was being screened back in 2011, good to see it's getting out finally.
I can't wait to see the trailer.

The same guys did A Horrible Way to Die I never saw that one either, any good?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

schwenz posted:

Which leads you in the Matheson I Am Legend sort of direction. I've seen zombie movies go this direction, Walking Dead is in this vein, but the problem is that Zombies don't reproduce (unless they infect)and I can't imagine that they live that long. So unlike Matheson's vampire-like creatures, Zombies don't have that apocalyptic threat attached to them.
Wasn't that Romero's main influence for Night of the Living Dead? Because I remember watching the Vincent Price adaptation The Last Man on Earth and was thinking, "Man this is just like Night of the Living Dead" and afterwards looked up the date and saw it was made in 1964 and I think Romero cited it that it influenced him when he was making Night. Speaking of which I really like The Last Man on Earth, but anything with Vincent Price will entertain me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I'm watching the original Evil Dead for the first time in years after seeing the new remake last night. Now I see that the remake was, surprisingly, incredibly faithful to the original. But I think I actually liked the remake better. There's more of a setup, the deaths are gorier, the comedic touches are funnier, etc. The tree scene was better in the original, but not by that much, actually.

I don't mean to discount the original completely, though, because its cinematography and makeup still hold up very well, and the film still feels downright terrifying at times. But while the original will most likely be remembered more in the history of horror films because it's already so iconic, I think the remake is the better movie.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Now see Evil Dead 2 and tell us what you think!

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I watched Grave Encounters 2 today. It wasn't particularly good or scary.

I am home alone and music has started blaring from my roommate's room. I am afraid if I turn it off the door will close behind, the lights will shut off and those screaming spooky guys will get me :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skywalker OG posted:

Now see Evil Dead 2 and tell us what you think!

I'm about half an hour into it and so far it's.....not good. Though I'm still trying to understand what the gently caress I'm watching here.

edit: I'm also starting to believe that Jim Carrey based his entire career on the performances of Bruce Campbell and the fact that he looks almost identical to Bruce Campbell is purely coincidental. Because I feel like I'm watching a goddamn Jim Carrey movie now.

edit2: Okay, the girl swallowing the flying eyeball was pretty hilarious, but otherwise this movie feels pretty lame and unnecessary.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 23, 2013

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Just watched The Tall Man. It was certainly something.
So basically they were part of a network of people reverse-Robin Hooding children to give them a better shot at life, in exchange for their parents suffering?
I'm still not sure how I feel about the movie. It was good though. But it's definitely not horror, and the trailers were incredibly misleading.

e: ^^There is nothing lame or unnecessary about Evil Dead 2. :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mikeycp posted:

e: ^^There is nothing lame or unnecessary about Evil Dead 2. :colbert:

The eyeball part and Ash getting his chainsaw arm were the only real awesome parts. The rest of the movie was just a boring rehash of the first one with inconsequential new characters and a plot that didn't matter.

The final scene was loving bonkers, though. I hope Army of Darkness is more like that, because I'd probably dig a movie full of ridiculous poo poo like that more than one that just tries (unsuccessfully) to recapture the magic of the original.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

That's really an interesting take, because many people hold the second one up to a much higher regard than the original.

Many people also like Army of Darkness but, really, I wouldn't recommend it, as it isn't very good and isn't like the other two in any way.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

schwenz posted:

The same guys did A Horrible Way to Die I never saw that one either, any good?

I really, really hated it. The plot was OK, but the camerawork gave me a headache. They keep unfocusing/refocusing and zooming in on nothing. I'm not the best at analysis, so I'm probably missing some deeper meaning, but ugh.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The eyeball part and Ash getting his chainsaw arm were the only real awesome parts. The rest of the movie was just a boring rehash of the first one with inconsequential new characters and a plot that didn't matter.

The final scene was loving bonkers, though. I hope Army of Darkness is more like that, because I'd probably dig a movie full of ridiculous poo poo like that more than one that just tries (unsuccessfully) to recapture the magic of the original.

As far as I know, the point of the second one was to be a retelling of the first one, and also to be a parody of it, dialing all the really out there bits up to eleven. I think the story I heard was that Raimi didn't have the budget to do the first one like he wanted, so Evil Dead 2 was literally doing a bigger budget first movie, but with the movie knowing exactly what it is. It also really kinda sets the tone, and displays pretty solidly Raimi's style that you see in a lot of his other stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mikeycp posted:

As far as I know, the point of the second one was to be a retelling of the first one, and also to be a parody of it, dialing all the really out there bits up to eleven. I think the story I heard was that Raimi didn't have the budget to do the first one like he wanted, so Evil Dead 2 was literally doing a bigger budget first movie, but with the movie knowing exactly what it is. It also really kinda sets the tone, and displays pretty solidly Raimi's style that you see in a lot of his other stuff.

But the original was so much better, in part because it had such a small budget :negative: Because there wasn't a huge budget, it had to be creative. The 2nd one just wasn't for the most part.

Most of the 2nd movie was goofy, but only small parts of it were actually endearing/funny if that makes sense.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxCC1T7q22E

If you think this scene is unnecessary then I guess we just aren't going to agree on much.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I feel basically the exact opposite.
I'm having trouble coming up with a part of the movie what wasn't funny and/or endearing.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

OldTennisCourt posted:

I just watched The Bay and it was surprisingly good. :words: (and other posts)

Thanks to everyone for recommending this! Goddamn do I love found footage films, and The Bay did not disappoint. I've always loved how found footage films were a single point of view throughout an entire narrative but I'm loving how more films are pooling together a ton of POVs to allow for the same sort of scenes along with cutting to different locations. It's a cool evolution of the found footage narrative that goes hand-in-hand with the prevalence of recording devices and technology in day-to-day life.
Let me use this post to mention how disheartening it is to see non-found-footage sequels like the second Last Exorcism and Rec 3 :smith:

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 23, 2013

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Peterson chat!

There was an article before on a lot of roles he turned down. He's huge on working in the theatre and basically has more of an interest there than anywhere else. He'd given some interviews like 4 seasons into CSI talking about how he was getting a bit tired of it so it's remarkable he lasted as long as he did. Since then he just went back to treading the boards. There was never the impression he wanted to work film/tv that much, but it was a good way to make money.

He's great in Manhunter/To Live and Die in LA though, and he has a spectacular walk.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

How does the plot to Evil Dead II not matter any more than the plot to Evil Dead I doesn't matter?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm excited to see the new Evil Dead, but I have to admit I'm kind of hoping it will lead to more productions of Evil Dead:The Musical.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm excited to see the new Evil Dead, but I have to admit I'm kind of hoping it will lead to more productions of Evil Dead:The Musical.

Splatter Zone, all day everyday

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

But the original was so much better, in part because it had such a small budget :negative: Because there wasn't a huge budget, it had to be creative. The 2nd one just wasn't for the most part.

Most of the 2nd movie was goofy, but only small parts of it were actually endearing/funny if that makes sense.

You are the only person I've ever seen to actually say they prefer the original to the sequel. To each their own.

If you did like the wackiness of the last 20 minutes though you're in for a treat with Army of Darkness. That poo poo is straight bonkers from beginning to end.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I get someone not liking Evil Dead II. If a one-man Three Stooges combined with demons and splatter isn't your thing it isn't your thing.

What I don't get is someone calling it uncreative. :psyduck:

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
I saw the trailer for the Evil Dead remake last night for the first time and I was kind of surprised they included the tree scene - didn't Raimi say he regretted doing that whole thing in the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sethsez posted:

I get someone not liking Evil Dead II. If a one-man Three Stooges combined with demons and splatter isn't your thing it isn't your thing.

What I don't get is someone calling it uncreative. :psyduck:

On paper, that sounds like one of the most fun movies ever and something I'd really enjoy.

I guess it was just the execution of it that didn't do anything for me and left me feeling uninterested.