Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Experto Crede posted:

Sure: Open your macbook, open your PC. Remove the drives and forcefully smash them together repeatedly. That'll have as much chance of working as OS X's windows file sharing system.

Since at least Leopard I have barely been able to get it working effectively, if at all. Across a couple of macs and a fair few PCs, it just (sometimes) barely works.

-Something like rEFIt might be your best bet for this
-There are solutions, but I wouldn't trust them. Just copy the data, reformat as NTFS and copy back.
-NTFS-3G
-Pretty good, integrates relatively well
-No idea
-Well VNC support is built into OS X so it's the easiest, but whether it's the best, I can't say.

ExFAT is also a fine choice for a filesystem for external media that you need a little bit of bearable speed/4GB+ support on Windows and Mac as long as you don't mind the out-of-box Linux incompatibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
:siren: Anecdotal Evidence :siren:

Since Lion, we have found that cifs:// works better than SMB.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fookolt posted:

Any ideas? :3:

All I see when I search is a vast wasteland of Apple forum posts that go nowhere.

I'd just like to be able to have full read/write access on my Windows 7 machine from my rMBP.

Use WinSCP for as much as you can.
Obviously that's no good for streaming though.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Experto Crede posted:

-There are solutions, but I wouldn't trust them. Just copy the data, reformat as NTFS and copy back.

I thought as much about the NTFS to HFS thing. I planned on copying/back and forth and converting drives but was just hoping I didn't have to because someone here was like "OMG XYZ PRODUCT ROCKS I USE IT ALL THE TIME TO CONVERT OUR COMPANY FROM PC TO MAC"

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
:siren: Further Anecdotal Evidence :siren:

This procedure completely fixed my Windows 7 install refusing to even enumerate the list of SMB shares on my Mac Mini. Previously it would just say user/pass incorrect, now it connects properly each time. Not sure if this only affects people running OS X Server or not though.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

fancyclown posted:

It works great for me. Laptop (Windows 8), iMac (Snow Leopard).

Turn off homegroup in Windows and use the classic mode where you enter user and pass.
Enable samba file sharing on the mac. Be sure that the pc and mac uses the same Workgroup.

On the mac: Go > Connect to Server > smb://ip.to.the.pc

Windows: just go to Networks and wait for the share to pop up. If it doesn't type the the name of the mac share in the address bar. ex: \\Name-of-mac

I agree that it's a bitch to get shares automatically popup in Finder or Windows Explorer, but this longer route works for me.

My problem is that I try this and it shows me my shared folders and then it just says this when I select one:

quote:

There was a problem connecting to the server "my local ip".
Check the server name or IP address, and then try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator

Hah, I somehow got it to work. I think it was doing this thing in regedit and then restarting my W7 machine:

http://lastplaceonthe.net/fix-error-36-mac-os-accessing-windows-7-shares/

It could also have been this (I set the IRP stack size to 14):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q177078&

Whatever, someone else can figure out what definitively fixed it for me.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 19, 2013

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Martytoof posted:

Messages is too convoluted. I don't think it knows what it's trying to be. There's no clear indicator that you have buddies online unless you bring up the buddy window which isn't really prominently featured. There's more to complain about but I think in general the UI is just really clunky. I hope it gets a huge revamp in 10.9 or something.

I don't know what you remember about iChat, but with the exception of the hidden (but still easily accessible) buddy list which seems to throw everyone off, Messages is almost identical.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Take that, Google +1 :colbert:

Can't say I've had any obvious issues with Messages here, most of my use is AIM and iMessage with some rare Jabber usage now and then to troubleshoot my sister's computer over screen sharing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fookolt posted:

I'd just like to be able to have full read/write access on my Windows 7 machine from my rMBP.
Create a user on windows, give it read/write on the disk, enable file sharing (everyone:everything), done?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Joe Don Baker posted:

An MKV is just a container. What codec is the actual video file? And to sort of answer your question, I think the Mac Mini I have at work is the same one and I don't recall any video playback issues.

Poor video playback on my 2011 MacMini happens a lot, with AVIs, MKVs, MP4s, etc. I've been using VLC to play back files, but no love. Any other thoughts?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IMHO, VLC on the Mac has turned to poo poo. As an alternative, try MplayerX or Movist from the App Store.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish Perian hadn't died off. Really, my favourite media player was just quicktime + perian :(

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

Binary Badger posted:

IMHO, VLC on the Mac has turned to poo poo. As an alternative, try MplayerX or Movist from the App Store.

Yeah VLC was the problem. Thanks. :)

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Martytoof posted:

I wish Perian hadn't died off. Really, my favourite media player was just quicktime + perian :(

Seconded. I didn't need much, just a clean loving player with a big play button to make videos go. I still keep Perian installed on Mountain Lion, but at this point it's like Weekend at Bernies.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Binary Badger posted:

I used to love VLC, but you are correct in saying it turned to poo poo. The constant pointless updates. Used to play files instantly, but even on a brand new machine there is a huge delay (sometimes minutes for a puny 500mb file).

Thanks for posting the alternatives.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You're welcome..

And not to put too fine a point to it, I find each app has its own advantages. In my own anecdotal experience:

MPlayerX is great at playing .mkv files with all kinds of wacky homebrew subtitles; it's played files that VLC pretty much vomits out (frames skipped, no subs, or shitastic decoding.) It handles WMVs, AVIs, MKVs and other formats crisply and cleanly, with artifacting only on files that weren't competently encoded in the first place.

Movist is great at playing .mp4s and .mov files with high CPU efficiency, it's better than MplayerX in this lone area; however I'm sure it's offloading to the GPU using whatever built-in decoding tech is in the currently installed chipset. As long as you have a non-Intel GPU it seems to do fine, even on the lowly nVidia 9400Ms. However, I'm convinced nothing can help an Intel pre-HD 4000 though.

I think the guys who are still updating VLC on the Mac side either just aren't testing any of the more exotic formats or just don't give a poo poo. Evidence seems to point strongly to the latter.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Thanks for that info! I've been using VLC for my go-to player but I'll check out those suggestions.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I've been using MPlayerX since the day I found it. It's essentially Quicktime X done "right" and better.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

One other note: Apple's had their Video Decode Acceleration Framework available to developers since OS X v10.6.3.

That's a built-in API for doing GPU based decoding, and it supports every GPU used by Apple newer than and including the nVidia 9400M.

VLC's bug tracker says they incorporated VDA back in March of 2012 into the Mac version, but in my anecdotal experience they sure aren't using it right.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 20, 2013

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I've got a 2009 MacBook running Leopard. I'm a terrible Luddite and only learned about upgrading OS recently; is it worth doing for a computer this old? I only really use it for word processing/Internet, although it tends to overheat when I play a video longer than a few minutes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

the_lion posted:

I used to love VLC, but you are correct in saying it turned to poo poo. The constant pointless updates. Used to play files instantly, but even on a brand new machine there is a huge delay (sometimes minutes for a puny 500mb file).

Thanks for posting the alternatives.

I haven't noticed a difference in it (maybe a few seconds more delay). I'm running it on a 2011 MBP though, so it's a fairly good machine.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

House Louse posted:

I've got a 2009 MacBook running Leopard. I'm a terrible Luddite and only learned about upgrading OS recently; is it worth doing for a computer this old? I only really use it for word processing/Internet, although it tends to overheat when I play a video longer than a few minutes.

I'd just do it because it's relatively cheap. My late-09 MacBook came with Snow Leopard so everything's downloaded fine from the App Store. I like full-screen apps.

e: I hope you have more than 2 gigs of RAM in that thing. When I upgraded to 4 gigs it was like I had a whole new computer.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Oxford Comma posted:

Yeah VLC was the problem. Thanks. :)

Ugh.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Even with MPlayerX, when some movies have a lot of stuff happening on screen (fast-moving action sequences, for example) MPlayerX falls apart and goes to poo poo. It gets choppy, sound goes bad, then it refuses to pause and eventually has to be Force Quit.

I've had Activity Monitor up and running while I'm doing this, and nothing out of the ordinary pops up. Any other thoughts?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
What's the CPU usage like during those sequences? Is it possible to switch it to something like pure software/CPU decoding?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What's the resolution of the videos you're trying to play? I routinely do 1920 *1280 mkvs with no issue.. on a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo and nVidia 9400M..

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

And are you playing them from a NAS?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

Ugh.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Even with MPlayerX, when some movies have a lot of stuff happening on screen (fast-moving action sequences, for example) MPlayerX falls apart and goes to poo poo. It gets choppy, sound goes bad, then it refuses to pause and eventually has to be Force Quit.

I've had Activity Monitor up and running while I'm doing this, and nothing out of the ordinary pops up. Any other thoughts?

This exact thing happens to me when I'm playing something from a USB hard drive while doing something else that's disk IO intensive on the same drive.

My guess is whatever you are storing them on either has something else accessing it a lot at the same time, or is too slow/possibly going bad.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got iPhoto 9.1 running on 10.7.5. What do I need to do to be able to get Photo Stream on it? Each time I googled it says it needs a version of the OS which is lower than what I have, and iPhoto 9, but I see no options for it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm fairly certain you need at least iPhoto 9.2.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Oxford Comma posted:

You might wanna try MPlayer OSX Extended. The official version hasn't been updated in a while, but there's a fork with a much newer MPlayer included. If you think it's a performance issue you can try it with MPlayer2 instead I guess.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I'd just do it because it's relatively cheap. My late-09 MacBook came with Snow Leopard so everything's downloaded fine from the App Store. I like full-screen apps.

e: I hope you have more than 2 gigs of RAM in that thing. When I upgraded to 4 gigs it was like I had a whole new computer.

I don't, so I'll try that first. Thanks!

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I have an HFS disk that is injured beyond disk utility repair. What tools are available to rescue the data on disk?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I just used Data Rescue II with great results.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Jam2 posted:

I have an HFS disk that is injured beyond disk utility repair. What tools are available to rescue the data on disk?

If it's just the directory, I still love DiskWarrior.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is there a keyboard shortcut to quickly lock the computer? In Windows, it's just WIN-L.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

fookolt posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut to quickly lock the computer? In Windows, it's just WIN-L.

If you have Alfred (which I highly recommend regardless) you can just type lock into it.

Edit: I know that's not really what you're asking, but I'm not aware of a keyboard shortcut and thought I'd share how I handled quickly locking my poo poo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fookolt posted:

Not built into OSX. What I do is fire up Keychain Access, launch its Preferences, and selec "Show keychain status in menu bar". Then when I need to walk away from the computer I just mouse into my status bar and lock the computer manually. I also have a screensaver password so I can't verify whether this works without that.

Also I guess you can do the same thing by displaying the Login Window icon in your menubar and just switch to the Login Window when you're away from screen.

I'm sure there are ways to automate this via system hotkey, though I don't know of any off the top of my head.

Also I trialed this app a while back but it was really buggy. Maybe it's gotten better since? I dunno:

http://www.quicklockapp.com/

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

fookolt posted:

http://smyck.net/2011/06/02/mac-os-x-keyboard-shortcut-for-locking-the-screen/

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You could turn on a simple screensaver, and then require a password to wake from screensaver. Combine that with a hot corner, and then you just lock the screen by moving the mouse into the bottom left corner (or whichever corner you want). I think all of that is setup from the screensaver preference panel.

Otherwise I just turn off my screen with the Control + Shift + Eject keys. It works on my MBPr without a CD drive, but the eject key is on my Apple external aluminum keyboard. I don't know if you can make it require a password to wake from that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Thanks for all the awesome posts, y'all. I do have Alfred so I think I'll use that.