Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I have the Pegasus Gothic City Ruins and Cathedral and they are both awesome for Mordheim terrain. Hear good things about the bridge they make too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hellbeard posted:

It is supposed to be an OICW/XM29 business because I think it's a nice complement to have both small arms and smart munitions but that huge mass in the buttstock really hides a lot of what's going on.

I guess they passed up on it for a reason. :downsrim:

I think it looks fine. I've used more clunky guns than that and I'm glad to see bullpups getting some love.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Anyone else have any experience with these Pegasus Hobbies kits?
Take a look at your hands. Seriously, take a long look at them. Now kiss your fingers goodbye :unsmigghh:

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Manifest posted:

Things get shuffled around. I've played in fantasy tournaments there and it always manages to work out.
It's not the biggest store, but it's the friendliest store in LA, so I keep giving him my money.

I can see that being the case. I asked the guy there if I could post a flyer or something for my game night on the 6th and he said if I send him the info he would post in in their yahoo group. I wish it was a little easier getting there but the 405 is always awful and will certainly be a deterrent to my visiting. Wish I knew about that place when I was going to UCLA, I lived like 6 blocks east but just never saw it driving around. :sigh:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

dishwasherlove posted:

I have the Pegasus Gothic City Ruins and Cathedral and they are both awesome for Mordheim terrain. Hear good things about the bridge they make too.

I got the bridge a year or two ago as a present, it's pretty neat. Also modular.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I can see that being the case. I asked the guy there if I could post a flyer or something for my game night on the 6th and he said if I send him the info he would post in in their yahoo group. I wish it was a little easier getting there but the 405 is always awful and will certainly be a deterrent to my visiting. Wish I knew about that place when I was going to UCLA, I lived like 6 blocks east but just never saw it driving around. :sigh:

Where are you at now? I'm on the east side, but I work on the west side so I go to Aero on lunch breaks when I need something, but do most my gaming at Game Empire over in Pasadena. Good shop. Owner is a weirdo, but he has a good hobby/game manager.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I live in Manhattan Beach and work in Westchester. I know about 5 others guys who play. We used to make monthly visits to the LA battle bunker because the tables were so nice, but now thats gone. Sometimes we go to the Pedro store, but its just a one man and its not even that nice. We have been upgrading our terrain and such since the battle bunker closed and are trying to start a local club.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Manifest posted:

You went to Aero Hobbies? The owner Keith is my GM for Only War. He is dope as gently caress.

[edit: OT I've got the pegasus hobbies river. I added water effects to make it shine, and a little static grass to make it blend, otherwise it was pretty great out of the box.)

Is this the tiny place on SM next to... the Jaguar dealer? I feel like I've walked past it a few times and it's always closed.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Manifest posted:

Where are you at now? I'm on the east side, but I work on the west side so I go to Aero on lunch breaks when I need something, but do most my gaming at Game Empire over in Pasadena. Good shop. Owner is a weirdo, but he has a good hobby/game manager.

does game empire run Infinity? I would love to learn to play it.
I buy my hobby supplies there, but I have never bothered to check the game area.
What do you mean by weirdo? Average socially awkward nerd or the full brony?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Seconding this. Sole.Sushi, stop being a smart rear end in the oath thread and paint.

Once this year wraps up, and all my Reaper Bones come pouring in, my gaming group will want them painted up.
I'm the only one that paints, so I'll pretty much crash and burn on painting stuff in the next year or so. :v: Plus side is that I'll just be that much better at painting/photography.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sole.Sushi posted:

all my Reaper Bones come pouring in

Oh man, this should be getting close, right? I keep trying not to be reminded about it though, so thanks. Now I'm gonna be antsy for a couple days again. So much plastic! (And I needed paints, so I'll be getting a ton of those with mine as well.)

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Oh man, this should be getting close, right? I keep trying not to be reminded about it though, so thanks. Now I'm gonna be antsy for a couple days again. So much plastic! (And I needed paints, so I'll be getting a ton of those with mine as well.)

Best that I saw, they said mid to late March is when they are getting stuff sent out, so that's here to the end of the month/next month, whatever. Getting real bad plastic crack shakes though. Daddy needs his minis. :catdrugs:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Argh, I hope they're delayed. I'm not going to be able to open them until my group can get together for our draft and that's going to mean a giant box of resin sitting under my desk until June (I'll still send you yours, Sushi).

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Dick Trauma posted:

Is this the tiny place on SM next to... the Jaguar dealer? I feel like I've walked past it a few times and it's always closed.

They open at noon, but yeah that's them.

Fauxtool posted:

does game empire run Infinity? I would love to learn to play it.
I buy my hobby supplies there, but I have never bothered to check the game area.
What do you mean by weirdo? Average socially awkward nerd or the full brony?

I'm not sure. Probably? Check their facebook page, they do a thing on Tuesday where it's focused on teaching people games.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fix posted:

Argh, I hope they're delayed. I'm not going to be able to open them until my group can get together for our draft and that's going to mean a giant box of resin sitting under my desk until June (I'll still send you yours, Sushi).

I know you probably mean MtG or something, but the one thing I miss about games like Mage Knight was having minis games with Draft mechanics. That was a cool idea that doesn't really work with any new games.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I know you probably mean MtG or something, but the one thing I miss about games like Mage Knight was having minis games with Draft mechanics. That was a cool idea that doesn't really work with any new games.

No, I mean an actual Reaper mini draft. We're playing a series of games (each participant picking one) to determine draft order. Draft x number of minis, play another game. Draft x minis. Play game. So on and so forth.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
So, I gots mans that needs them some bases, but I'm lazy as poo poo, and want to try casting my own bases like the cool kids at Dragon Forge and Secret Weapon do. I've got a ton of blanks, and some green stuff. Anyone got tips on making masters for replication for bases?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Fix posted:

You'd better or I'm gonna have one pissed-off gaming group! :argh:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
WIP elf man, playing around with a minitaire ghost tint. Airbrush speckling is completely imperceptible beyond 5" or so.

I think I've got faces pretty much nailed at this point, which makes me happy, since (especially in this case) they tend to be a focal point of attention on models.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

dishwasherlove posted:

How is the cathedral set? I'm thinking of getting some of their city sets, but it seems that they don't have a roof, which is a bit of a pain in the rear end.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Guys any tips on making magnetic movement trays?

Not sure wither to pick up steel paper, magnetic paper or just buy steel sheets and glue them to plastic card and make them that way.

any tips?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

gilljoy posted:

Not sure wither to pick up steel paper, magnetic paper or just buy steel sheets and glue them to plastic card and make them that way.

any tips?

http://www.back2base-ix.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=50

You could try something like this.

Edit: Or this
http://www.back2base-ix.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=51

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 22, 2013

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the 40k thread.

Half-squad of Krieg Guardsmen finally finished after being WIP for about 2 months. drat painting slumps.

Sorry for some of the photos being poo poo. I'm still trying to find the optimal settings for daylight shots on my lovely cellphone camera. Only the first picture is decent, so I suspect it doesn't deal well with close-ups without the macro function, which I turned off because I couldn't configure light settings on that so they ended up too dark.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

gilljoy posted:

any tips?

I would suggest rubber steel sheets. Gale Force 9 has sheets you can pick up for pretty cheap. Just measure the inside of the tray, cut the sheet to shape, and glue the sheet down. It works so good, you can hold them upside-down!

Not shown: staining the snow with my cheetos fingers

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

gilljoy posted:

any tips?

The Warhammer thread (and myself) are big fans of Shogun movement trays.

http://shogunminiatures.com/shogunminjaturessteeltrays.html

Cheap, and you can get any size you want.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

Slimnoid posted:

I would suggest rubber steel sheets. Gale Force 9 has sheets you can pick up for pretty cheap. Just measure the inside of the tray, cut the sheet to shape, and glue the sheet down. It works so good, you can hold them upside-down!

Not shown: staining the snow with my cheetos fingers

That is a really well painted unit there dude. Any other shots of them? Preferably ones the right way up?

I have bought a bunch of trays from Sarissa Precision, and stuck down my own steel rubber to the sheet, and used 20mm sheet magnets (the brown flat kind) stuck to the underside of the bases. Works perfectly, especially with Mantic's flat based bases.

Works really well, and they stick really well. And yeah, can be held upside down without them coming off.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

The Dark Project posted:

That is a really well painted unit there dude. Any other shots of them? Preferably ones the right way up?

Suuuure.

I've got two units of 40 of these guys, all magnetized. So 80 skeletons. Mind you, it's using the Mantic bases, which are solid underneath and I had to drill a hole in models I already glued down. Don't do this, ever :negative:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Really cool. Remind me of the frozen skeletons from Diablo II Act 5.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Really cool. Remind me of the frozen skeletons from Diablo II Act 5.

I based them off draugr. The whole idea (originally) was an army of undead vikings. It...hasn't quite ended up like that 100%, but I'm still going with the blue undead look.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Does anyone have experience with paiting those laser cut hdf/mdf buildings?

I'm thinking mainly about prepping, as I hear the wood will soak a lot of paint. I'm going to be using an airbrush for the painting itself, but I'm a bit lost on how to prep the buildings.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Can you guys point me a one stop shop for how to do battle damage? I'm not looking for painted damage - rather, stuff that you mark and cut on the model. I've tried some myself, but the main one I have problems with are animal claw scars. Basically, I can't seem to get it "right" - either the scars are too close, which messes with the integrity of the model (and causes the spaces in between the scars to become flimsy) or they're too wide and don't have the look of animal scars.

Others I have tried:
-Bullet scars: not too bad. On flesh, I usually put a small cicular indention. On metal though, I want it to look ever so slightly warped around the rim. This is slightly more challenging
-Chips: my favorite one. Just go wild on chipping weapons and armor. The models I am currently doing are ogre bulls, and look fairly silly with undamaged gear.
-Sword scars: less challenging, as it is just a single deep cut.

All of these will hopefully be clear once painted, so I'll keep you all updated.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

HardCoil posted:

Does anyone have experience with paiting those laser cut hdf/mdf buildings?

I'm thinking mainly about prepping, as I hear the wood will soak a lot of paint. I'm going to be using an airbrush for the painting itself, but I'm a bit lost on how to prep the buildings.

Not 100% sure but if its MDF then can you not just go down to your local DIY store and get some wood primer. I personally would just try Tamiya primer from a rattle can as usual. This should seal and prime the wood ready for the next layers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If it's MDF, some really watered down wood glue painted on followed by some regular old spray primer will work just fine.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm wanting to make terrain by gluing 2'x2'x1" HDPFoam to a piece of hardboard, then carving the terrain out of the foam. I would like to know the best glue to use to bond the two.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Whatever you do, don't use any spray adhesives, unless you want your foam to melt into a puddle of sticky good as part of the process. Or any glue with "ace-anything" in it, really. Basically, drying agents are out.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I'd suggest wood glue. Inert enough not to harm the foam, but should help bond the two surfaces as the foam is porous. As the poster above said, be careful with your choices.

Slimnoid posted:

Really well done stuff

Excellent work. Thought they were a kind of moonlight kind of dudes, but frozen is just as cool (heh heh heh). From looking at them I thought they were the undead from the end of season two of Game of Thrones.

Good work!

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 23, 2013

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Has anybody used the GW Edge paints?

I don't even understand what they're for. Are they like 'ardcoat with color?

link

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Dark Project posted:

I'd suggest wood glue. Inert enough not to harm the foam, but should help bond the two surfaces as the foam is porous. As the poster above said, be careful with your choices.

Wood (or even plain white elmer's) is a good choice, it'll just take a long time to dry, for two reasons: 1) it's in an enclosed space, sandwiched between two surfaces that don't transmit moisture very well, and 2) no drying agents, but that's a necessity because they'd melt your foam. Once it does dry, though, the PSI capacity of the bond will be higher than the material itself.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hixson posted:

Has anybody used the GW Edge paints?

I don't even understand what they're for. Are they like 'ardcoat with color?

link

The email they sent out says 'They each possess the same formulation as the Citadel Layer Paints, but come in a much lighter shade.'

and they have a sample picture:

So basically they're just an extreme highlight for some of the existing colors. Up to you if you want to buy it or simply mix your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I'm wanting to make terrain by gluing 2'x2'x1" HDPFoam to a piece of hardboard, then carving the terrain out of the foam. I would like to know the best glue to use to bond the two.

I have done exactly this, and found the best tool for the job is a hot glue gun. Squirt a pattern of hot glue onto the MDF and then very quickly mash the foam onto it before it cools. Sculpt the edge afterward and use a fill to fill the little gap that's likely to be there - I've been using pre-mixed spackle from Home Depot, like $5 for a giant tub.

The results, after spackling but before painting:

The spackle filler also protects the foam, so you can use spraypaint or whatever after and it won't melt anything. It has a nice gritty texture which is good for stone buildings - if you want smooth, you might need to pick something different.

• Locked thread