Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

ME3 statistics. Linked because there might be spoilers.

http://i.imgur.com/J9Q1jzV.jpg

Jesus, all those poor sons of bitches who never got to meet Wrex.

I wonder what the numbers would be if the character defaulted to the female version and you had to manually switch it over to maleShep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Yeah, that number for Femshep players is wayyyy lower than it should be.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

The MSJ posted:

They unveiled it at their PAX panel today. Poor Raphael Sbarge was right there as they revealed Kaidan to be far and away the least used squadmate.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

epenthesis posted:

They unveiled it at their PAX panel today. Poor Raphael Sbarge was right there as they revealed Kaidan to be far and away the least used squadmate.

which is kinda sad, since he's arguably the most effective ME3 squadmate.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

epenthesis posted:

They just don't know what they're missing. :colbert:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm sure he's a wonderful person, but his previous voicework in Bioware games have given me a kneejerk hate response to the sound of his voice. I've killed Kaiden off on all but one of my Shepards.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kaiden is so boring that I've never really cared about the whole "Why wasn't Kaiden romancable" controversy; I just can not give two fucks about Kaiden Alenko either way.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Kaidan usually lives on my playthroughs because he is the second least interesting squadmate after Ashley.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Kaidan's scenes in Citadel are pretty cool!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Why do so many players apparently take the boring route and pick Soldier? It's hardly any different than any normal third person shooter character, so why not try something more unique?

I'll admit that I used to roll with Soldier in ME1 and used it at first in ME2, but can't bear to go back after trying the other classes. I think that first time players are really skewing the numbers on these polls.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Ashley and Kaidan are always both dead at the end of ME3 in my playthroughs. Though this is because I found Kaidan intolerably boring in ME1, and since I didn't romance Ashley, her setting herself against you due to ME2, Shepard getting angry with her and ignoring her during the Genophage storyline, and not taking the shot during the Coup, thereby letting Garrus or Javik kill her is fitting to me. I don't hate Ashley's character, but she has nothing to do in the story really after the Coup, and it feels right that the Coup is her endpoint.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 24, 2013

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've never actually had the squaddie die in the Coup, don't you need to have the Salarian councilor die to do that?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I've never actually had the squaddie die in the Coup, don't you need to have the Salarian councilor die to do that?

No, when the Virmire Survivor raises their gun, you don't take the initial paragon interrupt, and then a dialogue tree pops up just after the Asari Councilor's line and you take the non paragon/renegade option. Udina moves to the terminal, and you have a standoff with the Virmire Survivor. A renegade interrupt pops up, and you either take it, or one of your squad shoots Ashley/Kaidan. After that, Udina is always killed by Shepard.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Geostomp posted:

Why do so many players apparently take the boring route and pick Soldier? It's hardly any different than any normal third person shooter character, so why not try something more unique?

I'll admit that I used to roll with Soldier in ME1 and used it at first in ME2, but can't bear to go back after trying the other classes. I think that first time players are really skewing the numbers on these polls.

I used a soldier on my first playthrough of ME1 because I was pretty confident I would be able to shoot stuff but I had no idea what the other mechanics were like. One good thing about the squaddies in ME1 is that they mimicked Shepard's classes - Wrex was a vanguard, Garrus was an infiltrator, Liara was an adept, etc. So I got a feel for how space magic worked through commanding my allies and then played the game again with other more specialized classes once I knew what I was doing. Of course that's coming from the viewpoint of somebody who expected to play the game several times. For a lot of people I think they just blow through the character creation and take the default male soldier since they don't really give a poo poo. Soldier was also a very powerful class in ME2 at least, I never played one in the third game.

Also some people say they enjoyed RPing Shepard as somebody with no remarkable abilities other than "good at shooting men and robots" who still becomes savior of the galaxy.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Geostomp posted:

It's fun! In the first game, you can get so durable that you could just wade into combat and bludgeon them with you rifle if you wanted (and I did that a lot). In 2 and 3, they have a versatile class power that lets you line up head shots, escape sticky situations, or just peel your back off a wall for 2 seconds without getting shot to ribbons. In the third game, especially, they also have a wide variety of weapons and ammo powers available to them.

My first playthrough was with a Vanguard, so I know full well how much fun it is to play a power-heavy class, but sometimes you just want to spray bullets everywhere.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Because after playing through the all three games as a space-Jedi or a space-mechanic, sometimes I want a different playstyle.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'll freely admit to the Internet that I am one of the terrible people who only play as a soldier or an infiltrator. Try as I might, I have never really been good enough at this game to be anything else, which is a hard thing to admit. Whenever I tried to be a vanguard I always got plastered by those terrible mech dog that first appear in Freedom's progress in ME2. I tried being a space-wizard in the first game once, but I never really found my mojo (although I suppose this could be because Adepts aren't so good in the first game? I'd like to believe that, anyways).

So really what I am trying to say is that I am terrible at easy video games and enjoy the crutch of using abilities that slow down game-time. I have been meaning to play through the series again, though, so perhaps I'll just jump into 2 as a space-magician and see where the takes me.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Chasiubao posted:

Because after playing through the all three games as a space-Jedi or a space-mechanic, sometimes I want a different playstyle.

Which is fine and what I did too, it's that soldier apparently accounts for almost half the playerbase, far outstripping everything else.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Adept's are really broken in the first game, but you need to pace yourself in the early segements where equipment and stat boosts aren't strong enough to off-set your lack of durability.

I'd recommend taking an Adept through Mass Effect 1 at least once for the novelty. A lot of the surprisingly satisfying physics based stuff comes from combining the Adept's biotic powers.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
ME1's combat was lacking in a lot of areas, but it sure was good at tossing ragdolls around.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
You haven't played Mass Effect until you tossed a Krogan into out space. :haw:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Once you maxed out biotics in ME1 you could ragdoll pretty much every enemy in the game with them, even the giant geth tank enemies. Shields offered no protection from biotics too. Time a Lift as a krogan runs at you and his momentum will cause him to fly comically high into the air and die from fall damage/map ejection. It's also the only game in the series where enemy biotics were dangerous enough to be able to ragdoll you, often with glitchy or annoying results.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Haha all of that sounds amazing. I have been meaning to play the series as female Shepard, maybe it is time to kill two birds with one stone! Thanks, everybody!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Haha all of that sounds amazing. I have been meaning to play the series as female Shepard, maybe it is time to kill two birds with one stone! Thanks, everybody!

That is a very good idea. I'd probably say anything between Eden Prime and the end of Therum you should feel free to ask for help, past that point you'll be wrecking everything. I probably wouldn't play above Normal for your first shot at Adept.

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
Does Adept manage to stack up well in Mass Effect 3? I tried it back in Mass Effect 1 and it was a lot of fun to see how long it'd take before I'd get experience using Pull/run under/Toss on the generic planet exploration maps. I switched over to Infiltrator in ME2 after seeing how obnoxious the enemies your magic didn't work on at all were.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Vega can die?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Vega can die?

With low enough EMS, your squadmates get killed during the Beam Run

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Veotax posted:

With low enough EMS, your squadmates get killed during the Beam Run

drat, I thought about this after I posted, but was hoping that there might be something else.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Leafy Wall posted:

Does Adept manage to stack up well in Mass Effect 3? I tried it back in Mass Effect 1 and it was a lot of fun to see how long it'd take before I'd get experience using Pull/run under/Toss on the generic planet exploration maps. I switched over to Infiltrator in ME2 after seeing how obnoxious the enemies your magic didn't work on at all were.

Adepts are spectacularly powerful in ME3. The improved power-combo model really benefits them; like in ME2 (but even moreso), there is more to playing Adept than flinging enemies from the map. Not that there is a problem with flinging enemies from the map, to be sure :haw: Engineer is also a sadly underplayed, underestimated class that you might consider trying sometime, if you haven't already.

Edit: Also, only 4% completion for insanity runs? :psyduck:

Edit: You should give Adepts another pass in ME2 also :colbert: Defense-stripping becomes an important mechanic, and there is an attendant emphasis on combined arms. Yes, it meant Adepts wouldn't be an 'army of one' anymore, but the class is still very potent, and through good Adepting you can restrict enemy movement, blast whole squads off the map, and generally gently caress around to your hearts content.

magimix fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 24, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

People who want challenging gameplay aren't going to come to Mass Effect for it. People who want challenging gameplay and a fairly casual, action/rpg are a pretty specific and niche cross-section.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Batham posted:

You haven't played Mass Effect until you tossed a Krogan into out space. :haw:
ME2 is best for this: get someone off the ground with Pull or Singularity, then toss out an upward-angled, maxed-out Throw and watch enemies go flying out of the map's bounds. It's a pity that Throw seems much less potent in ME3, probably because everything sets off a biotic detonation now, and it gets in the way of Throw's raw kinetic power.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

magimix posted:

Most of those are you.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Dan Didio posted:

People who want challenging gameplay aren't going to come to Mass Effect for it. People who want challenging gameplay and a fairly casual, action/rpg are a pretty specific and niche cross-section.

Conversationally, I wouldn't characterise myself as someone who is after challenging gameplay as a matter of course (with the possible exception of Trials). I generally think less of games that require me to really engage with the combat, rather than giving me the option to tone it up or down as I see fit. In games with combat, I'd prefer that combat to be somewhat engaging if possible, but I'll take janky combat I can ignore over otherwise refined combat that I cannot. By and large, I don't play games for their combat, and games that are all about their combat lose me very quickly.

But very occasionally, a game comes along that I like enough that I'm willing to engage more with the actiony parts, if it looks like there might be more to the mechanics. ME2 and ME3 make the mark, as does Dishonored (edit: and sometimes Deus Ex: Human Revolution). That's the whole list. For everything else, it's normal difficulty if the action is relatively benign (see Tomb Raider), or easy if the action might otherwise require me to apply myself to it, or is just entirely uninteresting to me (see any pure shooter).

Edit: To be sure, none of that seeks to rebuff what you say, nor indeed address it in any way; just using as a spring-board to waffle on. :haw:

magimix fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 24, 2013

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

I think that Mass Effect and ME2 can present a fantastically challenging gameplay experience. The 4% insanity completion rate for Me3 must be solely due to the fact that "Insanity" seems very difficult from the description, despite being a drat sight easier than hardcore in Me2. Those statistics are very strange to see - so much default manshep, zero effort, default choices - the Kaidan and Wrex figures are bizarre.

edit: were there any similar stats released for the original game? I'd love to see how many people got the completionist achievements.

Got rid of the Tali thing because people don't like her. (But I do...)

edit 2: Good point. VVV

lenoon fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 24, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not saying the Mass Effect games are bad at presenting challenging gameplay (I do think that Insanity in the games is quite easy after a while, but that's because it's a simple series to 'master', not because the difficulty is at fault) I'm saying that people who are looking for a third person real time game for a challenge aren't coming to Mass Effect.

It's just not what those games were sold on.

People who want challenging shooting games and Action-RPGs already have those well covered by games that appeal more readily and fundamentally to those crowds.

lenoon posted:

edit: were there any similar stats released for the original game? I'd love to see how many people got the completionist achievements.

No, Mass Effect 1 was pre-EA, thus pre-EA statistics sourcing.

The best you could hope for is an Achievement aggregate, which isn't very accurate.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 24, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

magimix posted:

For what it's worth, I've only played through the game once and, it being my first run, I played in one difficulty below Insanity (Hardcore, I think? Are the difficulty levels the same as in ME2?) because I figured I wasn't all used to the new combat mechanics and just stuck with the difficulty. And I haven't played the game since, and maybe it's the same for a lot of people, which is where that number comes from :v:

Actually, I'd be curious about this statistic for ME2 a year after its launch. I bet it's slightly higher :shepface:

Sombrerotron posted:

ME2 is best for this: get someone off the ground with Pull or Singularity, then toss out an upward-angled, maxed-out Throw and watch enemies go flying out of the map's bounds. It's a pity that Throw seems much less potent in ME3, probably because everything sets off a biotic detonation now, and it gets in the way of Throw's raw kinetic power.

ME2 has awesome opportunities to lift enemies off the ground and away (LotSB comes to mind!) but nothing beats lifting Geth Juggernauts and Krogan off the Citadel in ME1 and into loving space!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really, really don't understand why so few players pick Engineer. They should retroactively rename that class "Mathemagician".

I mean, I guess maybe people either think "Engineer? Math is dumb" or "Oh I guess Engineer is the "lockpick and hack" RPG class, gently caress that" when in fact Engineer is the "blow up all the things" class, especially in ME1 since every power has its own cooldown.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Adept's are really broken in the first game, but you need to pace yourself in the early segements where equipment and stat boosts aren't strong enough to off-set your lack of durability.

I'd recommend taking an Adept through Mass Effect 1 at least once for the novelty. A lot of the surprisingly satisfying physics based stuff comes from combining the Adept's biotic powers.
My first Mass Effect 1 playthrough was as an Adept. I did mess up by choosing Nemesis as my specialization but I promptly forgot it when I was tossing Krogans into the stratosphere.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

precision posted:

I really, really don't understand why so few players pick Engineer. They should retroactively rename that class "Mathemagician".

I mean, I guess maybe people either think "Engineer? Math is dumb" or "Oh I guess Engineer is the "lockpick and hack" RPG class, gently caress that" when in fact Engineer is the "blow up all the things" class, especially in ME1 since every power has its own cooldown.

Engineer suffers both from being the Rogue-analogue (typically the least used archetype by players but this time without acrobatics to back it up) and the "nerd" stigma.

True, Infiltrator is probably closest to the usual videogame rogue while Engineer is closer to a caster, but the stigma remains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I'm playing an Infiltrator for the first time in ME2 and just got the Widow. God drat. :stare:

• Locked thread