Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asthanius
Dec 26, 2012

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Armanky posted:

If you're "contributing to a theory", don't say poo poo like this. It's extremely condescending, especially for a declaration that has been suggested and, for the most part, accepted as the likely truth for... what, 90 pages now?

This logic is extremely counterproductive and goes nowhere. You can literally take any piece of evidence the game has thrown at us and say "Wait! Maybe it's fake!" Just because there was a single, minor incidence of false evidence in the first game (which, really, didn't add much to the case besides extra motivation) doesn't mean you can just throw out any information you want because "it's happened before!"

Okay, yeah. I admit that was a really poor choice in phrasing.

And to your second point, all I'm saying is that we've been misled before. Besides, you don't absolutely have to take everything I said as fact. Maybe Togami placed the knife there, maybe he didn't. It's just a theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Because we were told over and over that there's no way under the floorboards, but that got disproven when Hamster Master got his earring back. So despite being this far into the trial, there's still going to be new evidence that will be uncovered in the trial (namely, the location of the entrance to the area under the floor).

I would love it if Gundam was all "oh yeah, I was screwing around under the floorboards for a good hour or so after I found my earring. Check out this huge bloody skewer I found!"

Considering the source, any useful testimony will have to be dragged out of Gundam using multiple minigames. Dude never leaves the safety and comfort of his own rear end.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
:iia:
Seriously, showing Nagito to be an absolute nutter this early in the game is a great decision on the part of the game's writers. I can't wait to see how they all interact with Nagito going forward now that they know he's batshit insane.
Also, Nagito is totally going to claim now that he killed Togami, and try to force everyone to vote for him, and Nagito's gonna have to shoot his claims to pieces.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Spatula City posted:

Seriously, showing Nagito to be an absolute nutter this early in the game is a great decision on the part of the game's writers. I can't wait to see how they all interact with Nagito going forward now that they know he's batshit insane.
Also, Nagito is totally going to claim now that he killed Togami, and try to force everyone to vote for him, and Nagito's gonna have to shoot his claims to pieces.

I think you meant Hinata in that last part, unless you're suggesting that Nagito has multiple personalities.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

RefinedUndefined posted:

I think you meant Hinata in that last part, unless you're suggesting that Nagito has multiple personalities.

This last part's just going to have everybody watching in awe as Nagito finishes the rest of the trial by arguing with himself.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Spatula City posted:

A cheap story would shamelessly leave that revelation hanging until the endgame! Can you imagine?!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I don't think Nagito is a Hope junkie. Every big bad guy in fictional history has laughed at his foes trying to rise up and destroy him - the motivation could be as pedestrian as that, but people jump straight to "Like Junko, but hope instead of despair"? What about the joy of a worthy rival about to be crushed. I didn't take his statement as "Oh yeah, hope! I'm getting off on this! I caused this situation to see hope! Yeah! My rocks are getting off! Wooo!" I took it as "Haha look at these scrubs still clinging to hope, I can't wait to see it crushed."

His eyes were described as a mixture of hope and despair, and Junko stated you can't have despair without hope. This hints at brainwashing or a corruption of Naegi, to me, but we clearly don't know for sure yet. At the very least your explanation for his motivation can't be 100% hope. It's not like, poo poo, what was that game where the paladin was so ridiculously lawful good he was basically evil? Planescape? It's not that situation.

He's riding high on a high octane fuel mixture of exactly the right amount of hopeful defiance so that when it's crushed the despair will be truly excellent. Before it was boring - they were going to vote for nobody and all die not knowing they hosed up. Now they're starting to get a handle on the situation and their hopes are rising but they're grabbing the blade the wrong way around (by accusing him) and it's going to get interesting for him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If Nagito's goal is really to kill as many of them as possible, the best method would be to cover up someone else's murder. In other words, if he was intentionally wrongfully convicted he would effectively kill all but one of the students. This method isn't even risky, as there is no punishment for anything but murder. He can try it as many times as he likes and it only has to succeed once, but with the added bonus that everyone else would distrust him more after each attempt. Following the intended rules of the game by committing a murder, getting away with it and then committing suicide seems like it wouldn't work now that he has been exposed.

Of course, his goal isn't really clear yet. He is obviously crazy, but the specifics are still up in the air.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Jesus Christ, Naegi. What the hell did you see out there in Mono-World?

(alright I guess we still don't know it's the same person from the first game, but that was the first thing that jumped to mind for me)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
After this update it's pretty clear that Nagito isn't Naegi ... but if I had to guess I'd say that Nagito has met/knows of Naegi. His name is an anagram of "I'm Makoto Naegi", he's bonkers for Hope, he had to get into the academy through unconventional means, and I bet you he's the "traitor" too - someone who isn't supposed to be part of this class.

DR1 was televised, right? So I bet you Nagito was awestruck by Naegi and wanted to be just like him. Thus taking his name, SHSL skill, and so on. It looks like Nagito is intentionally manipulating situations simply so he can create another situation where everyone embraces "Hope".

The people guessing "Nagito is a parody of Naegi" set me along this train of thought, but I don't think it's so much parody of Naegi as it is insane imitation.

Alto
Dec 27, 2012

Not A Saxophone

Brannock posted:

After this update it's pretty clear that Nagito isn't Naegi ... but if I had to guess I'd say that Nagito has met/knows of Naegi. His name is an anagram of "I'm Makoto Naegi", he's bonkers for Hope, he had to get into the academy through unconventional means, and I bet you he's the "traitor" too - someone who isn't supposed to be part of this class.

DR1 was televised, right? So I bet you Nagito was awestruck by Naegi and wanted to be just like him. Thus taking his name, SHSL skill, and so on. It looks like Nagito is intentionally manipulating situations simply so he can create another situation where everyone embraces "Hope".

The people guessing "Nagito is a parody of Naegi" set me along this train of thought, but I don't think it's so much parody of Naegi as it is insane imitation.

So our lunatic is a Super High School Level Fanboy?

I don't know. Nagito seems a little too crazy to just be doing what he saw on TV.

Kudzu
Jan 12, 2013
It appears the island shop doesn't have Nagito's crazy meds in stock. I really like this character turn, especially how normal they made him out to be. It feels like a plot twist that would've been carried out later in the game. But since Monobear admitted that they lost their memories before anyone was even murdered, you never know what to expect now. I hope they do this personality twist with more characters.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Bifauxnen posted:

A cheap story would shamelessly leave that revelation hanging until the endgame! Can you imagine?!

Nagito being a complete nutter that's trying to get everyone killed and being known as such is great! Incredible vistas of dickery are open to the writers now! Corpse-moving is just the beginning! Hell, he could totally throw off a case simply by solving it and telling everyone his solution, because everyone would think he's framing the culprit. And pretty much everyone has a motive to knife the duplicitous sonofabitch. It's so lovely. :allears:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Mahiru claimed that Nagito set up the lottery so that he'd get stuck on cleaning duty, but that doesn't make sense. How could you set that up unless you can control who picks the chopsticks so that you make sure nobody else pulls the red one?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

yaoi prophet posted:

Mahiru claimed that Nagito set up the lottery so that he'd get stuck on cleaning duty, but that doesn't make sense. How could you set that up unless you can control who picks the chopsticks so that you make sure nobody else pulls the red one?

None of the chopsticks are marked, the red mark is a thing on your finger that you attach to the last chopstick, no matter which chopstick is the last chopstick. The holder can guarantee he will be the one with the chopstick marked red no matter what.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was reminded of Junko's spinning eyes in her big breakdown from the last game, and it kinda lead to this...

Someone with some sort of skill at avatar-making please convert this into an avatar so that I might spend :10bux: as quickly as possible.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Krinkle posted:

None of the chopsticks are marked, the red mark is a thing on your finger that you attach to the last chopstick, no matter which chopstick is the last chopstick. The holder can guarantee he will be the one with the chopstick marked red no matter what.

Ah, that makes sense.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Or there is no red one and you just say you have it. Though looking back the dialogue implies the others can see his chopstick so maybe not

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Saradiart posted:

Someone with some sort of skill at avatar-making please convert this into an avatar so that I might spend :10bux: as quickly as possible.

It's probably a bit too spoilerrific for an avatar.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Saradiart posted:

Please don't do this.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Yeah, don't do it man. It's not worth the trouble.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Alternatively, SHSL Good Luck.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

kvltmanifesto posted:

Alternatively, SHSL Good Luck.

This would mean he actually has SHSL good luck as a skill, and doesn't just have it for winning a lottery like Naegi.

BigDB
Mar 21, 2013

Brannock posted:

Pretty much all of this makes much more sense to me than Naegi = Nagito. I'm also adding the fact that Nageis 3 sizes are completely different from Nagitos.

Naegi
Height: 160cm
Weight: 52kg
Chest: 75cm

Nagito
Height: 180cm
Weight: 65kg
Chest: 84cm

I would put blood type but we don't know what Naegis' blood type is. Of course I could be wrong because we don't know what how much time is between DR1 and DR2. Although I don't imagine very much time because with Togami, the only thing that didn't change with him was his height. He is still the same height as before. Then again, everything with Togami is a complete mystery like his weight and why he had such a drastic personality change, but I think that will be revealed later (or not which would be weird). So unless Naegi had a sudden growth spurt and bulked up when Togami only fattened up, I highly doubt that Nagito is him. Then again, I could be wrong but I'm sticking with this for now.
Also, on the subject of the chopsticks, I also think that Nagito just didn't mark any of them and just claimed he got the red one.

BigDB fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 24, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nagito really doesn't look like he's 65kg. Like, that's not very heavy, but he looks about as strong as a twig. Nidai could probably punch him in half.

Maybe about 10 or 15 of that is the hair.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

alcharagia posted:

Nagito really doesn't look like he's 65kg. Like, that's not very heavy, but he looks about as strong as a twig. Nidai could probably punch him in half.

Maybe about 10 or 15 of that is the hair.

It's clearly all the crazy weighing him down.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Four or five pages of comments after the Nucking Futs reveal and nobody comments on or sympathizes for both Ibuki and Mikan having to sit next to Coo-Coo for Cocopuffs at this trial? Because, holy poo poo, I feel sorry/worried for them now, even if nobody in these games has ever attacked someone standing next to them during these things. ...Yet.

Even Yamada had someone feel sorry he was standing next to Syo.

But seriously man, not only has Nagito *at least* been planning to kill somebody, now he's gone and lost his loving marbles. If he's exonerated as the killer... Jeez... what in the gently caress is going to happen after the trial? Nobody would trust him, much less let him come near them... and it would probably be too much of a throwaway to have him be the next victim because there's all sorts of insane you could do with him living for a little while longer.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
First things first: whoever asked for the source on the DR1 anime being one cour (I forget who it was, because update pandemonium): here you go, second on the list. Sorry for not responding sooner!

Secondly: I guess Nagito's freakout could potentially answer my question about him bringing up refutable points if he was somehow responsible for part of the murder -- he really does want to be found out, but it still remains as to why. My best guess is that he has some kind of guilt complex, and his going mad is the culmination of him trying to hold his composure. I think that might have been said already but again, update pandemonium! And rightfully so, holy poo poo those eyes :stonk:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Miss Kalle posted:

Secondly: I guess Nagito's freakout could potentially answer my question about him bringing up refutable points if he was somehow responsible for part of the murder -- he really does want to be found out, but it still remains as to why. My best guess is that he has some kind of guilt complex, and his going mad is the culmination of him trying to hold his composure. I think that might have been said already but again, update pandemonium! And rightfully so, holy poo poo those eyes :stonk:

It's not like no one ever fucks up and says things that can easily be proven wrong. People are either overconfident and assume no one will notice that one weak point in their claim, or they simply don't realize that their claim isn't rock-solid.

DefenderDT
Jul 2, 2010

What do you mean I'm not popular?

orenronen posted:

Nagito Komaeda: Super High-school Level Good Luck

Just a small thing, doesn't the trail around Nagito's coat and back make it look like a Yin-Yang symbol?

If anything that means I've been watching that introduction video a few more times for more possible twists, or I could just be over speculating.

YOU DECIDE!

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's not like no one ever fucks up and says things that can easily be proven wrong. People are either overconfident and assume no one will notice that one weak point in their claim, or they simply don't realize that their claim isn't rock-solid.

That's a fair enough point, but part of me feels like Nagito doesn't seem the overconfident type... at least as far as motives for killing. Planning the act out, maybe.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BigDB posted:

Pretty much all of this makes much more sense to me than Naegi = Nagito. I'm also adding the fact that Nageis 3 sizes are completely different from Nagitos.
An Ishida-style transformation with Junko would explain his physical characteristics changing. And also why he appears to have developed multiple personalities, SHSL despair-ism and whirlpool eyes.

I mean I guess it could be some new guy who's acting like Naegi and who also has his power for some reason, but that seems odd considering Naegi's fate after DR1 is totally unknown. It'd make more sense to address that unresolved plot point by having him appear in the next game.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

An Ishida-style transformation with Junko would explain his physical characteristics changing. And also why he appears to have developed multiple personalities, SHSL despair-ism and whirlpool eyes.

I mean I guess it could be some new guy who's acting like Naegi and who also has his power for some reason, but that seems odd considering Naegi's fate after DR1 is totally unknown. It'd make more sense to address that unresolved plot point by having him appear in the next game.

Well, if you want someone that knows Naegi, saw Junko Enoshima die, and has a completely unknown fate- well, I was joking when I mentioned the possibility earlier, but...

orenronen posted:

Name: Yasuhiro Hagakure (葉隠康比呂)
Weight: 71kg
Chest: 82cm
Specialty: Super High-school Level Fortune Teller

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BigDB posted:

Naegi
Height: 160cm
Weight: 52kg
Chest: 75cm

Nagito
Weight: 65kg
Chest: 84cm

I would put blood type but we don't know what Naegis' blood type is. Of course I could be wrong because we don't know what how much time is between DR1 and DR2. Although I don't imagine very much time because with Togami, the only thing that didn't change with him was his height. He is still the same height as before. Then again, everything with Togami is a complete mystery like his weight and why he had such a drastic personality change, but I think that will be revealed later (or not which would be weird). So unless Naegi had a sudden growth spurt and bulked up when Togami only fattened up, I highly doubt that Nagito is him. Then again, I could be wrong but I'm sticking with this for now.
Also, on the subject of the chopsticks, I also think that Nagito just didn't mark any of them and just claimed he got the red one.

I don't put any stock at all in the changed numbers; high school students tend to grow. I mean just look at Togami!

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 24, 2013

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

DefenderDT posted:

Just a small thing, doesn't the trail around Nagito's coat and back make it look like a Yin-Yang symbol?

Hey, it actually does. That's a pretty neat touch.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

QuarkJets posted:

I don't put any stock at all in the changed numbers; high school students tend to grow. I mean just like at Togami!

Keep in mind that because of the two mindwiped years, the cast of DR1 was closer to college age than anything by the end of the game. A 20cm (that's a bit less than 8 inches) growth spurt at age 17-18 is pretty improbable! Togami packed on the pounds but didn't change in height at all (he's incidentally really loving tall for a Japanese person).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Orenonen, out of curiosity, do you have any plans to include the manga spinoff prologue thing like you are for DR0?

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013
Swirly eye'd Nagito is pretty creepy. I am kind of sad they didn't swirl around like Junko's did, but I am happy a forum member made a sweet edit of it.

With Nagito certifiably nutter, I wonder why he can't keep his thoughts straight. I also think its proven that, in some ways, he is only like Naegi in that he can sway people to his side of thinking. To explain: Nagito got half or more than half of the other students to give up hope for even a microsecond with almost no effort, this kind of reminds me of how Naegi just shouted "Don't lose hope" at people and that's all he needed to do to make them regain hope.

Other than that observation, the game is being clever by playing our knowledge of the previous game against us. Most of us didn't believe Nagito would wind up as a SHSL Crazy until we saw it for ourselves, just because Nagito seems like Naegi and as we know Naegi was the most level-headed behind Kirigiri. I say this, because Togami was kind of played this way as well. While in the previous game he was a good person, he was mostly concerned with only his own survival and didn't want to mingle with the students at ALL. This game's Togami, while still arrogant and whatnot, was the opposite in those 2 key ways. I think we need to be open-minded about characters we THINK are like other characters (such as how Nanami is coming off kind of Kirigiri-ish) and be ready for twists that seem out of character. The game seems out to abuse our knowledge of the first game to throw crazy stuff at us.

As for Hanamura, I don't really know what his motivation was. The memories thing doesn't seem strong enough. I believe Nagito had something to do with it, maybe he had twisted hope's message around on Hanamura and it worked somehow. Wouldn't it be kind of weird if Nagito was Monomi's traitor and this is somehow why Nagito is acting all weird and creepy?

atsuwrong
Mar 6, 2013
Now that we know that Komaeda is a loving fruit loop, I was reflecting back on the murder setup itself and it gave me some new ideas about motives for Hanamura as the killer for the case.

Before, a lot of people were assuming that Teruteru saw Komaeda planting the knife or fiddling with the air-conditioners, and figured out that the murder was going to happen because of those actions, but that seems extremely unlikely. I mean, taping a knife under a table takes what? Thirty seconds? A minute to slather paint on it? The chef would also have to have had SHSL good luck to walk by at the precise time the knife was being planted to understand that Nagito was planning on offing someone.

What if Nagito is so loving insane that he just straight up told Hanamura "I'm going to commit murder at X time in X place and only you can stop me?" I mean, dude clearly isn't trying to get off the island here. He just wants hope/despair/some kind of strong emotion. By forcing someone else into killing, he could keep himself around longer to wreak more emotional havoc while simultaneously creating a ridiculous amount of despair/hope from the resulting murder. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDB
Mar 21, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I don't put any stock at all in the changed numbers; high school students tend to grow. I mean just like at Togami!

The only thing that grew with Togami was his waist line. He is still the same height. Then again, I think I said I could be wrong but I'm still gonna stick with my theory for now.

atsuwrong posted:

What if Nagito is so loving insane that he just straight up told Hanamura "I'm going to commit murder at X time in X place and only you can stop me?" I mean, dude clearly isn't trying to get off the island here. He just wants hope/despair/some kind of strong emotion. By forcing someone else into killing, he could keep himself around longer to wreak more emotional havoc while simultaneously creating a ridiculous amount of despair/hope from the resulting murder. :v:

Aww that would be terrible and genius if he baited Hanamura like that.

• Locked thread