Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

edit: Oops, double post.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

If you did like the wackiness of the last 20 minutes though you're in for a treat with Army of Darkness. That poo poo is straight bonkers from beginning to end.

Hell yes. Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Wow. I thought that I knew what was happening in The Tall Man but I was way off. What a strange movie. I really recommend it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished watching Army Of Darkness. What a goddamn ridiculous movie. Straight comedy from beginning to end. I could barely keep a straight face the entire time.

Now I know why Jay from Half in the Bag called Oz The Great And Powerful "Army Of Darkness for kids". Also, it foreshadowed Drag Me To Hell in several ways, so that was cool to see.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just finished watching Army Of Darkness. What a goddamn ridiculous movie. Straight comedy from beginning to end. I could barely keep a straight face the entire time.

Can you believe Army of Darkness almost got an NC-17 and they had to fight for their R rating? I guess skeleton violence is the worst violence.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

qbert posted:

Can you believe Army of Darkness almost got an NC-17 and they had to fight for their R rating? I guess skeleton violence is the worst violence.

....how is this possible? :stare:

At one point, Ash launches a skeleton into the air and it explodes. Clearly it's not meant to be malicious.

And it doesn't even have any blood sprinklers set to overdrive like Evil Dead 2 does.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Now I know why Jay from Half in the Bag called Oz The Great And Powerful "Army Of Darkness for kids". Also, it foreshadowed Drag Me To Hell in several ways, so that was cool to see.

I knew you'd love it. I didn't realize that some people were looking down on it, it might not be horror but it's an absolutely great movie.

I'm puzzled that some people here were talking it down in fact.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Twee as gently caress posted:

I knew you'd love it. I didn't realize that some people were looking down on it, it might not be horror but it's an absolutely great movie.

I'm puzzled that some people here were talking it down in fact.

Yeah it wasn't scary or unnerving in the least, it was just a laugh riot. The entire movie was like the comedic parts from Evil Dead 2 ramped up to 11.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I watched the Tall Man because of this thread. I hold you responsible. What a terrible piece of poo poo that was.

Grave Encounters wasn't very good either, but it wasn't too bad.

The Bay might be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Maybe if it wasn't marketed as a horror film I wouldn't have hated it as much.

Why am I so negative :negative:

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't enjoy the 4th kind or tall man.

In fact the opening sequence of the most recent re film was more enjoy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hated fourth kind but enjoyed the tall man!

Part of the fun with Tall Man when you know only what is in the poster was waiting for the jump scare that I expected would happen (but thankfully never did)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ravenkult posted:

I watched the Tall Man because of this thread. I hold you responsible. What a terrible piece of poo poo that was.

Grave Encounters wasn't very good either, but it wasn't too bad.

The Bay might be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Maybe if it wasn't marketed as a horror film I wouldn't have hated it as much.

Why am I so negative :negative:

Who knows?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Probably hitting movies that's not my style lately.

I liked ''The Awakening'' a lot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Tall Man owns.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Which ending did you see? Just out of curiosity.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Crackerman posted:

Which ending did you see? Just out of curiosity.

Oh, there's multiple endings?

Ash gets back to his time, back to working at S-Mart and a Deadite shows up there so he blasts her with his shotgun and everyone praises him as the hero.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Oh, there's multiple endings?

Ash gets back to his time, back to working at S-Mart and a Deadite shows up there so he blasts her with his shotgun and everyone praises him as the hero.

Here's the much darker alternate ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3HBCopB7Hc

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I still think this ending is terrible by comparison and I don't even curr if no one agrees.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

penismightier posted:

I still think this ending is terrible by comparison and I don't even curr if no one agrees.

I'll fight you man, I swear. I love the "I slept too long" ending much, much more.

edit: "Manufactured products!"

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Also I disagree with Raimi, I prefer the US ending, the original one is just way too dark considering the tone of the movie.

penismightier posted:

Right there with you, and agree its terrible.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

The problem with that ending is it comes on the director's cut, where the skeleton battle at the end goes on way too long and becomes tedious as poo poo. There needs to be some kind of perfected cut, like Army of Darkness: The Final Cut. We all know Raimi prefers the mean ending because he's a bully.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

penismightier posted:

It does set up another zany adventure in the post-apocalyptic world, though. Maybe at the end of that one, they use magic to send him back in time to 1987.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Crackerman posted:

We all know Raimi prefers the mean ending because he's a bully.

Yeah his whole 'Well Ash is an idiot, therefore I love to give him as much poo poo as I can on screen!' is a pretty stupid and hosed up attitude.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah his whole 'Well Ash is an idiot, therefore I love to give him as much poo poo as I can on screen!' is a pretty stupid and hosed up attitude.

That's pretty much Raimi's attitude generally. He likes to torment his audience, as well as his actors and characters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Not really, especially if you take Ash as a Wile E. Coyote or Daffy Duck-type figure.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo how did I not know that he's currently working on 'Army of Darkness 2' :stare:

http://screenrant.com/army-of-darkness-2-evil-dead-4-sam-raimi/

quote:

As opening day for Evil Dead draws near - Fede Alvarez’s remake of Sam Raimi’s iconic 1981 video nasty – fans are inching closer and closer to also seeing the latter return to the beloved series he created back in 1981.

Recently, word got out that Raimi and his brother (ostensibly Ivan) were planning to start work on a script for Evil Dead 4 this summer – news that became a little more real courtesy of Robert Tapert, the man who produced not only the original Evil Dead films but many other entries in Raimi’s filmography.

Speaking with Shock Til You Drop this weekend at South By Southwest, Tapert, Raimi’s long-time collaborator cleared up any concerns about the existence of two Evil Dead franchises competing with one another and amended Raimi’s original remark with a statement of his own. It turns out that the Raimi brothers’ intention wasn’t to write a treatment for Evil Dead 4, but rather a direct sequel to the medieval fantasy-influenced Army of Darkness- which for some fans represents the pinnacle of the Evil Dead series.

... but without Bruce Campbell :negative:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not really, especially if you take Ash as a Wile E. Coyote or Daffy Duck-type figure.

Except that Ash has never done anything to deserve it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Daffy never did anything to deserve it aside from being second banana to Bugs. Wile E. Coyote only does what's in his nature and only resorts to faulty technology out of necessity.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Daffy never did anything to deserve it aside from being second banana to Bugs. Wile E. Coyote only does what's in his nature and only resorts to faulty technology out of necessity.

Daffy's treatment was an example of Disney's horrible track record on racism, and Wile E Coyote was a villain.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo how did I not know that he's currently working on 'Army of Darkness 2' :stare:

... but without Bruce Campbell :negative:

Aw man, what's the point then? :smith:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't know. As far as Ash being too old, make it a direct continuation of Ash being sent to the future, and he's been dealing with Deadites for 20 years now and boom, someone who's not a deadite just appeared and he might have a way to go back to the past or something. Boom, treatment, hire me Sam Raimi I will find a way to shoehorn Bruce Campbell in every single project you do

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Daffy's treatment was an example of Disney's horrible track record on racism, and Wile E Coyote was a villain.

No way, Wil E. Coyote was just a coyote. What do you think the title cards with the genus and species names are about? I don't think Looney Tunes judges Wil E. for what it's worth. Daffy's crime is just being Scottie Pippen.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
One of the things I always liked about Bruce Campbell was his quiet dignity.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:lol: That's pretty great, but I think I still like the ending I saw more.

skog
Aug 20, 2009
This is a long shot but there was a movie that came out eithe early this year or late last year on VOD. I remember it getting a lot of good word here and it started with an R. It had a house on the cover, I finally have a chance to watch it and I don't even remember what it's called :(

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I watched Splinter tonight. It did a lot right and a lot wrong. It was extremely well made for its budget, good acting and dialogue, well-shot, great creature effects, and excellent sense of tension and what-you-don't-see-is-scarier. But the plot suffers from nearly every character being dictated by Horror Movie Logic (aka "Why don't they just..."), and the one guy being just fine after an arm amputation bothered me a lot. Still, I'd say I enjoyed more than I didn't.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I watched "Grave Encounters" last night and drat, it scared the crap out of me. It wasn't the best movie ever, but I don't get the hate for it. Maybe it's because I'm claustrophobic so the feeling of being enclosed with no way out is what freaked me out the most.

Probably going to watch the second one tonight. Hopefully its as good as the first.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

SlenderWhore posted:

Probably going to watch the second one tonight. Hopefully its as good as the first.

Nope.

It's a bore until it starts to get interesting and then it really quickly shits itself completely. It's a sight to behold. A boring, unnecessary sight.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SlenderWhore posted:

I watched "Grave Encounters" last night and drat, it scared the crap out of me. It wasn't the best movie ever, but I don't get the hate for it.

Yo might be thinking of Grave Encounters 2? From what I remember this thread loved the first one.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

skog posted:

This is a long shot but there was a movie that came out eithe early this year or late last year on VOD. I remember it getting a lot of good word here and it started with an R. It had a house on the cover, I finally have a chance to watch it and I don't even remember what it's called :(

I spent a while looking for this too, I think the movie you're thinking of is "Resolution."

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SlenderWhore posted:

I watched "Grave Encounters" last night and drat, it scared the crap out of me. It wasn't the best movie ever, but I don't get the hate for it. Maybe it's because I'm claustrophobic so the feeling of being enclosed with no way out is what freaked me out the most.
It's not a particularly hated movie. The main issue I had were a lot of the scares were predictable. It also bugs me that there is the big reveal about the front door just leading to more mental hospital, but they still try to shock you with stuff like the stairs not leading to a roof exit.

quote:

It's rare that a movie is both incredibly bonkers and incredibly boring. It repeats a lot of the scares from the first film and really doesn't offer anything new which isn't a bit silly. There is one pretty well done scare that you might enjoy. If you liked the first one, you might enjoy this one. At the very least, you can appreciate a really weird sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I haven't seen the Grave Encounters movies but the still photos of the monsters give me the heebie jeebies.