Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

thelarue posted:

Logic and reason has almost no place in Mystery anime games. At least, from my experience (and I admit its not the end all, be all) these kinds of games don't rely only on logic and reason. If we aren't going to assume that Nagito is just plain crazy or he isn't apart of the Despair gang in some way... then why did he plant a knife for seemingly no reason? Why did he orchestrate a murder when there was not really anything for him to gain.

If you try to hard to be 100% logical about an anime mystery its going to leave you blindsided at some point. No offense meant, it just seems that this is how mystery Anime games work. Notable examples would be stuff like Umineko and Phoenix Wright itself. Not to mention what Serious Frolicking pointed out... Togami in DR1 did something completely stupid for the sake of doing it. There was no logic or reason... it was just meant as a red herring for whatever reason Togami felt like.

It was Sakura, actually. What's that, you say? Sakura is 1) dead, 2) not on the island, and 3) not the type of person to kill Togami? This is an anime mystery game, man! They don't follow logic! What need has Death Killer Sakura for logic? Death Killer Sakura has only fist and hatred.

If you discard logic, you can't draw conclusions, period. So characters in a story adhere to logic. This is not the same as being sensible or following normal patterns of thought. Togami had a reason for doing what he did; that doesn't mean what he did was smart. It was dumb and short-sighted and way too dangerous, but Togami felt invincible at that point -- him not comprehending the very real danger of obscuring the investigation to achieve his own goals (expose Syo, discover the savvy detectives among the crowd) made sense because it was dumb. It was dumb in a way that corresponded to his weaknesses as a character. That was the start of his development. We needed a sense of just how convinced this man was of his own invincibility and ability.

Nagito had a reason for planting the knife that we don't know yet. His sudden outbreak of crazy substantially widens the possibilities -- it means that his internal logic is much more variable, and much harder to predict, than normal common sense. But this does not make him illogical, merely logical within his own system. Crazy != monkeycheese human dice roll table.

Now, I'm not discounting your "Nagito banked on his luck" hypothesis, or at least that part of it. Maybe Nagito is actually SHSL Good Luck, in that this has been a life-long pattern for him. Maybe Nagito is the kind of person that wins jackpots at slot machines or who never runs into unexpected rain or who wins most of the raffles he enters. But, again, this follows logic: Nagito has luck -> Nagito discovers luck -> Nagito uses luck.

Can no one ever say something as monumentally dumb as "let's ignore logic" again? Because seriously, that's really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

To be fair to DR1, the (ab)normal days for chapter 2 dedicated a lot of time to showing off how full of himself Togami was. We just underestimated how far it went.

Nagito doesn't have actual SHSL Luck, anyway. He (supposedly) got in the same way Naegi did: he won one lottery. One. He doesn't consistently win every single thing he enters, nor is he always surviving life-threatening situations by chance. If he did, I could buy him setting up a plan that relied on luck. But he doesn't.

Considering how scientifically-minded Hope's Peak's staff is, I wouldn't be surprised if SHSL Luck was just a way of selecting a control variable without making them feel too terrible about themselves.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 24, 2013

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

CandyCrazy posted:

Nagito doesn't have actual SHSL Luck, anyway. He (supposedly) got in the same way Naegi did: he won one lottery. One. He doesn't consistently win every single thing he enters, nor is he always surviving life-threatening situations by chance. If he did, I could buy him setting up a plan that relied on luck. But he doesn't.

But didn't he sorta did? I mean, he was the one that sent the letter to Togami and with that in mind he prepared the lottery to choose who would clean the lodge. But how would he know that Togami would think of a party? Yes with Togami's personality he could have arrived to that conclusion, but he couldn't be sure, but he stil went ahead a prepared a murder plan based on that. Doesn't that rely on bit of luck? Unless he had like 10 other murder plans on his mind in case Togami did other stuff or he couldn't go with the lottery.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Nagito genuinely have a "Luck Power" would mean his own abilities are more otherworldly and supernatural than anything we've seen so far, and would raise a lot of questions. It's far more logical in my eyes that he simply rigged the drawing in a way.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

IceBorg posted:

But didn't he sorta did? I mean, he was the one that sent the letter to Togami and with that in mind he prepared the lottery to choose who would clean the lodge. But how would he know that Togami would think of a party? Yes with Togami's personality he could have arrived to that conclusion, but he couldn't be sure, but he stil went ahead a prepared a murder plan based on that. Doesn't that rely on bit of luck? Unless he had like 10 other murder plans on his mind in case Togami did other stuff or he couldn't go with the lottery.

A lottery is extremely easy to rig when you're the one holding the sticks.

As for the note, no, there's no way he could have predicted exactly how Togami would react to it, but it was a safe bet that he would desperately do everything in his power to keep everybody safe and, likely, keep the whole group in one place. Also, do we know for sure that Nagito didn't help Togami come up with the party idea? There's plenty of leeway here for him to put this all together from the start.

Look, I'd be okay with luck-related shenanigans if the game had established in multiple instances that Nagito isn't only lucky, but that he's unnaturally lucky, then maybe I could buy that he left major parts of his plan to chance. Maybe. So far all we have is that he might have been kind of lucky in one or two instances, but probably just planned it himself.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

IceBorg posted:

I think that could be an interesting way to apply his Luck. Creating multiple possibilities based on what is probable and coordinating those possibilities to what the probabilities turn out in the end. It was sort of inevitable that Togami would make everyone gather in one area, but there was no way to say it would be the lodge and certainly no way to say those sticks would even be needed. As people pointed out during that particular update, the picture had an extra stick that accounted for Kuzuryuu who was refusing to join in the group meeting. He obviously couldn't predict Kuzuryuu's absence so it makes sense for the extra stick to exist. Even more about that scene is how he quickly pulled it out from nowhere. It would have been easier to just have Togami, who was in charge of the party, make the decision. But instead he insisted on the sticks.

Now with 15 sticks being drawn, Nagito has a 1 out of 15 chance of picking the correct stick. How different is that from Naegi being picked out of thousands of students randomly to attend Hope Peak's? He has a 1 in 1000 chance and happens to get lucky and get in. He also had the luck to have a cruddy bathroom which was key to solving the first case, the luck of Mondo slipping up at the very last moment to figure out the second case, the luck of Yamada just happening to not die right away to help reveal Celes. Greater mentioned parts include Kirigiri just happening to save his life, Alter Ego happening to stop his execution and happening to fall into garbage disposal and surviving despite the fall. In this series "Luck" is more than just winning a lottery. Luck actually plays a larger role in this game when you consider all the lucky coincidences that happened that by all means shouldn't have happened. Even murder itself is a gamble because you can get caught if you just happen to not pick the right thing to do. That is, you aren't lucky enough to get away with it because of your own slip ups.

What I'm getting at is that both of these things can co-exist. Nagito can apply his luck by creating many possibilities based on multiple probabilities. And, more times than not, things just happen to swing his way and he gets the outcome he wants because he just happens to have good luck as a result of assessing every possibility and sometimes just being lucky.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

thelarue posted:

If you try to hard to be 100% logical about an anime mystery its going to leave you blindsided at some point. No offense meant, it just seems that this is how mystery Anime games work. Notable examples would be stuff like Umineko and Phoenix Wright itself.

We must have different definitions of "logical", because none of the mysteries in Umineko or Phoenix Wright are unsolvable without intervention by the author. Some minor details maybe, but nothing case-changing. They might lead your thoughts only to pull the rug beneath your feet later, but if you fall it's because you weren't paying the attention to the right things. That's pretty much how mysteries work generally, though.

If you're talking about how some character's motivations are weird and "illogical" aside from you misunderstanding that character's thoughts, that's still kind of a mystery genre staple. Nobody cares about motives in a whodunit. Without love, it cannot be seen. :v:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

VladTheEater posted:

Nagito is playing one big Xanatos Roulette... and relying on such a chance-heavy plan isn't a problem when you have SHSL Good Luck in your corner.

I think he used his good luck to 'rig' the draw in his favor so that he could set up the party and I think he further used his good luck to manipulate his key players into position. Getting Togami under the table at the same time the real murderer (probably Hanamura) got under the floorboards with the missing skewer was just further use of SHSL Good Luck.

I think Nagito set things up to make Togami *really* easy to murder... to make that a really tempting option. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Nagito continue to play an antagonistic role without actually being guilty himself. I mean, if you happened to be walking around and noticed that one of your classmates was scrubbing the floor, alone, underneath a big, heavy chandelier and there just HAPPENED to be the support rope and a pair of shears right in front of you... wouldn't you be tempted too? I think Nagito is going to use his luck to influence situations like that.

I have come to a similar theory, and one that's actually pretty drat brutal. It may yet be proven wrong, but here's how I see things so far.

Nagito is nuts. He might be an agent of SHSL Despair, a crazed Naegi fanboy in the vein of Nny/Mmy, a 'good luck draw' student of Hope's Peak who snapped under how ordinary he was compared to his 'earned their way' peers, or something else entirely, but he's crazy. He had enough self-control to appear normal unless put under pressure, but just how cuckoo he went once that pressure applied itself shows how Nagito's mind works. On the basis of that fact, Nagito did not plan to kill Togami (or anyone else), get Togami killed, or get killed himself. All Nagito wanted to do was stir the pot and try and arrange things so people'd buy into his 'Better to all die together than realize one of our friends would rather destroy us all' spiel.

So Nagito arranged the taped knife, the glow in the dark paint, and the blackout. I suppose it is possible he also knew about (the likely) possibility that Hanamura discovered he was trying something and tried to arrange his own thing, but it's just as likely he didn't know. He sent that note to Togami to get him on edge, and with everything set up, this is where Nagito's madness kicks in and where 'How could you account for X/Y/Z' gets thrown out the window.

Nagito did not have a set plan; he just wanted to stir the pot. Considering he outright identified his talent as being 'Good Luck', he might actually believe luck is on his side. Since he was making it up as he went along, who knows what he would have done had Togami been a little less on the ball? Done nothing except 'spot the knife' and let paranoia take over? Get the knife, stab or slash someone randomly with no regard if it was a fatal wound or not, and then throw the knife away so 'no one knows who did it' (and counting on good luck/insanity to not get any blood on him?) Something else? Whatever Nagito's plan or improvisation would have been, he ultimately underestimated Togami.

And then Togami got killed.

As it has been debated, it is likely that Hanamura did not commit his murder with actual malicious intent. He either did it having discovered the knife and having decided that 'to kill a murderer would be okay' (and possible further justification that the rest of the group would be killed by Monobear, not him), or did it when he decided to sneak under the floorboards to be a pervert, carrying a skewer for bravery, and when the blackout happened he panicked and stabbed at Togami's night vision goggles. Despite Nagito's underestimation, the situation not only worked out so that someone died, but the killer likely didn't mean to kill him/kill anyone in the first place. As it is now, Nagito (assuming he's either so nuts he doesn't care if he dies, or he thinks he had immunity for some reason) wins either way. If they seize onto him as the murderer and convict him, they all die like Nagito wanted. If they correctly keep following the thread and realize Hanamura was the actual killer, and watch him break down before he reveals he just wanted to kill a murderer or it was more or less a stupid perverted accident...

If Nagito didn't believe he had Good Luck as an actual talent before, he sure as will now. Because he's won. He's completely won. Circumstances worked out so that the group leader was dealt with and the killer did the deed more or less by accident. The group will fracture. Nagito doesn't have to do anything else: he could go sit on the beach for the rest of the game; he's poison pilled everything nearly beyond repair. Because now, with things having gone beyond control, not only will any further murders always have Nagito as a suspect, but anyone who wants to kill out of malice (Hiyoko/Kuzuryuu?), current desperation (Souda), or snapping under the mounted pressure (half the remaining cast could potentially do that) now have a perfect scapegoat to frame, and it's not one that can ever be easily dismissed as 'too obvious' because as far as the group knows, NAGITO WAS FULLY WILLING TO COMMIT FIRST DEGREE MURDER. It would not surprise me if the very next case is someone killing someone else and trying their damndest to frame Nagito as the doer. If not the next one, number 3 for certain. And that's just if Nagito sits around and does nothing. If he actually decides to actively interfere...

So yeah. Nagito only had a vague plan to rock the boat, and instead he completely tipped it over. drat if the situation wasn't...lucky for him, and drat if he won't realize it and believe it. Hinata's got a long, hard road ahead, I suspect.

Jamasan
Oct 14, 2012
A tad late, but after update 31 felt the need to draw this:

No text:

Jamasan fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 25, 2013

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

This is the most beautiful thing. Have you got a version without the text?

EDIT: That is even better.

JimmyT64 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 25, 2013

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Cornwind Evil posted:

Nagito did not have a set plan; he just wanted to stir the pot.

Are you loving kidding me.

After all bullshit about Nagito relying on luck.

You're now suggesting he's doing it for absolutely no reason.

:shepicide:

Armanky fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 25, 2013

BigDB
Mar 21, 2013

Pretty much everyones theories at the moment. Well maybe not but this picture is just too glorious. Nicely done.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Armanky posted:

You're now suggesting he's doing it for absolutely no reason.

orenronen posted:

It's fine. There's no need for worry.
I mean, come on! Its just some killer, right? What chance can they possibly stand against the students who were branded the symbols of hope?!

There's no way we're going to lose here. An incident of this level isnt an obstacle! Its a mere stepping stone!

In the end, hope is going to win! I have full confidence in that!

...That's a problem. It seems it could've been any one of us, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, that is the truth...
We talked about the incident that much, and yet we haven't found a single clue leading to the culprit...

But... that's just natural, isn't it? I mean... there's no way the culprit is one of us.

Hey, everyone. Don't tell me you haven't ever felt like this...

Don't tell me you never felt it better to die trusting your friends than to survive suspecting them...

What's wrong with me? What's wrong with me is that's something wrong with all of you!

You keep blaming and accusing each other... I think that's utter madness!

Let's just stop it! We don't really have to find the culprit, do we?

We're comrades, aren't we...? There's no way that murder would happen between comrades, right...?

Then why the hell is Togami dead?!

Who cares why...? Let's just give up, already...

Until we get more details about how and why Nagito is nuts, then yes, it seems like he might very well have indirectly caused all this because...well, see for yourself. He contradicts himself, encourages everyone to just give up and die, that it would be better to die than accuse your friends...in the end, he might be doing all this because he's batshit insane and that might as well be no reason, because there's 'no reason' in it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Well slowbeef, I think you've finally found yourself a new avatar. Text: "Me, modding the Dangan Ronpa thread."

I'd buy it for you but I'm pretty sure you guys can just give yourselves avatars anyway.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

Until we get more details about how and why Nagito is nuts, then yes, it seems like he might very well have indirectly caused all this because...well, see for yourself. He contradicts himself, encourages everyone to just give up and die, that it would be better to die than accuse your friends...in the end, he might be doing all this because he's batshit insane and that might as well be no reason, because there's 'no reason' in it.

He's the Despair or some variation on it, which is almost 'is insane' but puts at least some kind of rationality in it. I don't think he's the Monobear controller, I think something deeper is going on there, but I'm absolutely certain Nagito intentionally set the stage for someone to get murdered and is going to continue to try and do that from here on in. The openly antagonistic presence is really going to punch the story up a fuckload of notches.

Remember, being an accomplice only serves no point if you're actually concerned with whether or not you live or die.

EDIT: Don't buy slowbeef a DR avatar, we torture him enough :negative:

Patware fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 25, 2013

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

JT Jag posted:

Well slowbeef, I think you've finally found yourself a new avatar. Text: "Me, modding the Dangan Ronpa thread."

I'd buy it for you but I'm pretty sure you guys can just give yourselves avatars anyway.

I bought a mod an av once and they still wear it now, most mods are pretty cool about it

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

You went full Junko. Never go full Junko.

Dollars to donuts Komaeda's our Genocider Syo and will never actually commit a murder. He's too conspicuously conspicuous.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

MadRhetoric posted:

Dollars to donuts Komaeda's our Genocider Syo and will never actually commit a murder. He's too conspicuously conspicuous.

Nagito, however, seems to know too much (the "we both have special feelings to Hope's Peak" sentence, for instance) to be a complete comedic relief or red herring. I still think that he is related to SHSL Despair somehow and we will find out more in later chapters.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
He'll have trouble committing a murder now, because everyone will always suspect him.

I've gone over his little insane flip-flopping speeches a few times, and there really isn't any consistent viewpoint there that I can see. I was originally thinking that the positive parts were just there to confuse the issue and make the impact of his "we haven't really figured anything out" speech more intense, but even that doesn't make a lot of sense; he's being genuinely helpful as far as I can tell, even thought it's just incriminating him more. I suppose this is the "pulp of hope and despair" that the text refers to seeing in his eyes; he really is just flipping back and forth between helping the murderer and helping the rest of the students. Maybe he can't choose which of his friends to help?

At least the last little bit makes it clear why he was going to commit murder:

orenronen posted:

The Super High-school Levels stand together and rise against the despair of their friend's death!
Aa, this is such a magnificent, beautiful sight...!

That's a motivation to kill, albeit a crazy one. How is he going to see them rise above adversity if there isn't any actual adversity and they're all just vacationing on a tropical island watched over by Togami? I feel like Nagito isn't Naegi or a Naegi-imposter so much as a parody of Naegi by the developers. Like, take Naegi's personality and adjust it twenty-five percent towards crazy and this is what you end up with.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

lotus circle posted:

I think that could be an interesting way to apply his Luck. Creating multiple possibilities based on what is probable and coordinating those possibilities to what the probabilities turn out in the end. It was sort of inevitable that Togami would make everyone gather in one area, but there was no way to say it would be the lodge and certainly no way to say those sticks would even be needed.

Nagito was the one who first suggested they use the old lodge for Togami's party.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I just had a scary thought... what if Nagito isn't all that relatively crazy? Assuming this is a sequel set after DR1, maybe Nagito is practically an average guy by Monoworld standards.

Junko talked about despair being infectious, and implied it had spread over the whole world, if this could really be thought of as the most despair-inducing event in the history of mankind. So maybe this is what Monoworld really looks like: a lot of people out there going full Junko.

Sure, watching the Hope's Peak students stand up and escape would have been a beacon of hope and an attack on SHSL Despair's image, but for people already this crazy and embracing despair, they're not exactly going to flip a switch and go back to being normal human beings. Nagito seems to have loved the broadcast and latched onto the students as these idealized heroes (especially Naegi). But not in a healthy way, to say the least. Imagine the despair of the DR1 survivors when they find a world full of people who were inspired by their actions, only to become nutballs like Nagito.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Bifauxnen posted:

I just had a scary thought... what if Nagito isn't all that relatively crazy? Assuming this is a sequel set after DR1, maybe Nagito is practically an average guy by Monoworld standards.

Junko talked about despair being infectious, and implied it had spread over the whole world, if this could really be thought of as the most despair-inducing event in the history of mankind. So maybe this is what Monoworld really looks like: a lot of people out there going full Junko.

Sure, watching the Hope's Peak students stand up and escape would have been a beacon of hope and an attack on SHSL Despair's image, but for people already this crazy and embracing despair, they're not exactly going to flip a switch and go back to being normal human beings. Nagito seems to have loved the broadcast and latched onto the students as these idealized heroes (especially Naegi). But not in a healthy way, to say the least. Imagine the despair of the DR1 survivors when they find a world full of people who were inspired by their actions, only to become nutballs like Nagito.

The problem with that is it that makes it seem trivial for people to acquire Junko-type Despair syndrome. I mean, our heroes are still kids; sure they've had X amount of years shaved off of their memories, but it's plausible for them to go from age 15 when they entered Hope's Peak to whenever now is without realizing anything is super off. They don't remember Monoworld, so the effects of whatever the hell happened probably have had only a few years to settle in. Though, what little we have seen of Monoworld shows it to be so cartoonishly insane that maybe billions of people really would just go "gently caress it" and lose their minds. So I guess your idea is possible, but we don't really have any information to support or contradict it.

The point I'm most curious about right now is whether Nagito is brainwashed like everyone else should be. Unless we've really, really prematurely outed the big mastermind (doubtful!) or he's somehow the outsider who forced himself into the group (I still insist that this must have been Togami, though) he should be brainwashed, which would mean he's always been like this independent of any Junko shenanigans. So were the others his friends at Hope's Peak before this incident? Did they notice anything, or was it another Junko/Mukuro/Syo thing where somehow no one ever realized that they were buddies with a crazy person?

dragonsroar
Mar 19, 2013
Just a small bit to throw into the discussion, but if Nagito is SHSL luck and he's been playing off that to perfect his murder, wouldn't him being discovered as murderer break his "luck"?

Also, a Gundam i drew today. he is seriously growing on me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I... that Gundam drawing

That's amazing. How long did it take to do?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

dragonsroar posted:

Just a small bit to throw into the discussion, but if Nagito is SHSL luck and he's been playing off that to perfect his murder, wouldn't him being discovered as murderer break his "luck"?

Dang! Good job with that. Like the ocular occlusion effect as well.

(My only note is that anatomically, ears are usually the same vertical location as the nose.)

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

dragonsroar posted:

There are no words for how freaking awesome that picture is!

Athar1007
Oct 11, 2012

Faction Namer
Just my two cents, if this hasn't already been mentioned before:

The knife is still a red herring. We all know the (missing) skewer was the actual murder weapon. But now what? It seems Nagito is part of SHSL Despair, but not the culprit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dragonsroar
Mar 19, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I... that Gundam drawing

That's amazing. How long did it take to do?

Around one and a half hours. Thank you!

Neeksy posted:

Dang! Good job with that. Like the ocular occlusion effect as well.

(My only note is that anatomically, ears are usually the same vertical location as the nose.)

Thanks! I always have trouble with ears, so your input is VERY much appreciated. I'll definitely do some studies, thank you very much!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Athar1007 posted:

Just my two cents, if this hasn't already been mentioned before:

The knife is still a red herring. We all know the (missing) skewer was the actual murder weapon. But now what? It seems Nagito is part of SHSL Despair, but not the culprit.

Unfortunately, this has already been beaten to death for quite some time - Hanamura is nearly universally agreed to be the culprit by thread consensus, on account of him being the primary person who has the opportunity to get under the floorboards, as well as the suspicious circumstance of him crying out during the darkness in the main room but not actually being there afterwards until rather later.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There is also the fact that he claimed to have followed the wall to reach the ballroom, which wasn't possible due to the fire door. Next, the bloody tablecloth was found in the storage room, and Hanamura had the easiest access to that room during the blackout. Furthermore, Hanamura is the one who claimed that one of the skewers was missing to begin with, which obviously isn't the case given the murder weapon. Finally, there is the crotch shot evidence bullet, and no one can figure out what that has to do with anything aside from Hanamura's failure to comment even though he claimed to have been in the ballroom when the lights came on.

There is tons of evidence pointing at him and clearing everyone else. The only questions that remain are who put the knife under the table and arranged the blackout and how Togami was lured across the room, but Nagito being bugfuck insane hints at the answers. They've even answered what the lamp was for, which was something I was wondering about given that it didn't seem necessary but was placed in the room deliberately.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Compared to the face, the clothes are a bit blocky and the ear is off, but man I'm jealous of your rendering skills.

It's a small picture for that kind of detail, though. Is that the original size?

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013

tiistai posted:

If you're talking about how some character's motivations are weird and "illogical" aside from you misunderstanding that character's thoughts, that's still kind of a mystery genre staple. Nobody cares about motives in a whodunit. Without love, it cannot be seen. :v:

Motives is pretty much exactly what I am talking about. In anime mysteries, its always something overblown... or something you wouldn't really KILL someone over. Phoenix Wright: JFA is the game that really comes to mind. The trial with the circus has got to be the dumbest, but I think the PW community pretty much agrees that one is like the worst case. Umineko was more an issue with the author masturbating to the idea that he was so clever and it turned out a lot of clues given were basically all red herrings as well as most of the red text being useless when looked at as a whole. Umineko was cool, but drat, the author broke my heart.

edit: I will clarify a bit more, when it comes to anime mystery you can't say suchansuch character wouldn't do that or isn't capable. Its pretty much a trap to try to be logical about how someone will behave. I think the target demographic for most of these games is like teen to tween... I wouldn't really consider that group to be too logical. /ageist

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

thelarue posted:

In anime mysteries, its always something overblown... or something you wouldn't really KILL someone over.

Going from the last game:
Saving her friends reputations and lives, because she felt as though it was her fault (Maizono) and Self-defense and fear (Leon)
A huge amount of Anger (Mondo)
The money, something killed over in real life just as often. (Celes-Yamada) And Jealousy (Yamada-Hall Monitor)
Suicide for the sake of her friends' safety. It was 'kill someone or I destroy your Martial Arts place' and she chose herself. (Sakura)
And Junko's Despair Fetish (Mukuro)

None of these motives are really overblown, except for maybe Maizono's, since Junko's fetish is actually plausible for murderers in real life.. Dangan is actually remarkable at making the motives believable and completely understandable as to why someone would murder.

This game while the memories seem to be a bit of a red herring for the lack of mention, The true culprit (I think Hanamura but you never know until the climax inference) and Nagito have to have some sort of motive for their murder plans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
DR gives every single character the same motive to commit murder. It has very rarely been that simple, but the motivation is there. In most mystery stories, motive is a key aspect but it was largely irrelevant in DR1. That seems to be the case so far in DR2, as well.

It is sort of strange how Hanamura was so desperate to escape from an island resort full of fit young people of both genders, though. He seems like the first person to put the giant robots and such out of his mind in favor of lust. Hanamura can even make full use of his shsl talent, which is something he obviously enjoys doing. Perhaps Nagito had a talk with him?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

thelarue posted:

edit: I will clarify a bit more, when it comes to anime mystery you can't say suchansuch character wouldn't do that or isn't capable. Its pretty much a trap to try to be logical about how someone will behave. I think the target demographic for most of these games is like teen to tween... I wouldn't really consider that group to be too logical. /ageist

I don't know why you would assume that the characters behave perfectly logically (that is, working towards a maximum probability of survival). For one, humans. Secondly, young humans. Thirdly, "anime mysteries", especially the more 'out there' ones like these, take place in settings that are batshit insane, often with people who are batshit insane. So it's not much of a stretch to give the characters motivations which, while logical from a twisted point of view, are not in line with what normal people would do. (Or: without love, it cannot be seen :saddowns:)

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Maybe Hanamura was under the floorboards not because he wanted to murder someone, but rather because he wanted to look at the ladies from down below. Maybe the skewer was there to make small holes in the carpet.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 25, 2013

dragonsroar
Mar 19, 2013

tiistai posted:

Compared to the face, the clothes are a bit blocky and the ear is off, but man I'm jealous of your rendering skills.

It's a small picture for that kind of detail, though. Is that the original size?

Thank you for the critique, I'll practice more on flowing clothing. I was actually pretty concerned about his scarf's unnaturalness!

And yeah that's the original size, it was just a side-doodle between some other things i had to draw so i didn't want it to take too long.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blattdorf posted:

Maybe Hanamura was under the floorboards not because he wanted to murder someone, but rather because he wanted to look at the ladies from down below. Maybe the skewer was there to make small holes in the carpet.

I dunno dude, if you were poking a hole in the carpet above you and blood started dripping down, would you do it a few more times for good measure? Because Togami was stabbed multiple times.

OldTimeyProspector
May 29, 2010

Podima posted:

I dunno dude, if you were poking a hole in the carpet above you and blood started dripping down, would you do it a few more times for good measure? Because Togami was stabbed multiple times.

Plus, the only thing that's ever seemed to override Hanamura's horneyness is his pride in his food. He wouldn't pass up a chance to have his chef skills praised by the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Podima posted:

I think they meant this as a reason for him going down into the crawlspace in the first place, not so much the murder itself (which has been clearly established as having taken place on the floorboards).

If Nagito didn't have a chat with him, I can buy that he wanted underneath so he could potentially get a... um, better view, of the party. I do, however, think the skewer was taken with the intent to kill, since an innocent reason like poking holes in the carpet would still be extremely dangerous and wouldn't really let him see anything anyway.

What I'm thinking is that he found the knife after crawling around under the building before the party (it would be extremely easy to spot from this perspective), decided to spy on Nagito for a little while, figured out his plan, and decided to "protect" his fellow students by putting together a counter-plan. Either that, or Nagito coaxed him into it somehow. I'm still on board with Nagito planning to commit suicide during the blackout, in which case the Hanamura justice theory would make a lot more sense.

• Locked thread