Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Since the eShop doesn't accept foreign credit cards, I'm looking for ways to get US eShop funding codes online. The ones I have found are:

thecardcloset.com
pcgamesupply.com
maximuscards.com

The Card Closet has the cheapest at $54 for $50 of credit. That's not bad but are there any cheaper methods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Since the eShop doesn't accept foreign credit cards, I'm looking for ways to get US eShop funding codes online. The ones I have found are:

thecardcloset.com
pcgamesupply.com
maximuscards.com

The Card Closet has the cheapest at $54 for $50 of credit. That's not bad but are there any cheaper methods?

Set your region to Alberta, Canada and it will accept your credit card. I do this with my Japanese credit card.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

floatman posted:

I too, am using BR as my eshop region as the eShop is currently not available for my region. Can I ask what region did you change yours too?

I set it to Florida, US.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

According to this it looks like the levels have been lengthened and the bosses made more complex??

Scrooge 3:16 says this game will buy and sell our asses. All hail the Monopolizer!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

petewhitley posted:

Set your region to Alberta, Canada and it will accept your credit card. I do this with my Japanese credit card.

This works? :aaa:

I'll try that when I get my American XL.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

According to this it looks like the levels have been lengthened and the bosses made more complex??

The 8-bit Magica de Spell only ever shot lightning and turned into a vulture. This one has a handful of new attacks and patterns that get increasingly complex as she takes damage.

It will still probably only take an hour to beat the whole game, but it looks like it's going to be a really great hour.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

Stink Terios posted:

I set it to Florida, US.

Does Florida, US accept foreign credit cards? Thanks for the suggestions anyway. If that doesn't work I will try Canada, Alberta.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Apparently it does. I haven't actually bought anything yet, as I don't have a credit card :v:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

floatman posted:

Does Florida, US accept foreign credit cards? Thanks for the suggestions anyway. If that doesn't work I will try Canada, Alberta.

From what I understand, Alberta Canada is an anomaly in terms of credit card acceptance for whatever reason. I believe the other posters are simply talking about changing their region and buying North American eShop points via a reseller.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, the Miyamoto mii for the Luigi Mansion eShop release. :allears:

I know it's a gimmick and all, but every time something like this happens I'm filled with this nonsensical warm and fuzzy feeling.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

petewhitley posted:

When the eShop asks you for a post code, how do you get around that?

Ztrapper
Jan 8, 2011
I'm not Japanese, but i just used my own real 5 digit Israeli zip and added a 0 before (as it ask for 6 digits). it worked just fine.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Ztrapper posted:

I'm not Japanese, but i just used my own real 5 digit Israeli zip and added a 0 before (as it ask for 6 digits). it worked just fine.

Ha. That worked. Thanks. :)

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Platinum rewards are never digital are they? Always physical things that require shipment.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They've offered up one or two digital gold/platinum rewards in the past - Doc Louis' Punch-Out!! for WiiWare, some random VC games - but they're generally physical rewards, yeah.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I think last year they had the option of some normal vc games for download.

Seemed like a ripoff compared to getting some unique swag you could resell if you didn't want, but if you can't have them send you things, it would work.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I'm talking about NA, they have digital rewards for gold status every month. But I think all the platinum rewards are physical.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of March 28):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    LEGO City Undercover - €59.99 / £49.99
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Luigi's Mansion 2 - €44.99 / £39.99
    Resident Evil Revelations - €29.99 / £24.99
    Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D - €9.99 / £8.99
    Code of Princess - €29.99 / £24.99
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D - €19.99 / £17.99
    Heroes of Ruin - €24.99 / £19.99
    50 Classic Games - €4.99 / £4.49
    Fire Emblem Awakening (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    HarmoKnight - €14.99 / £12.99
    The Beet Party: Unidentified Flying Waffle (video) - €0.99 / £0.89
    3DS Save Data Transfer Tool (free)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Harvest Moon (Game Boy Color) - €4.99 / £4.49
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Pokedex 3D Pro (3DS eShop) - €11.99 / £10.79 until April 4
    escapeVektor (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until April 11
    Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30, available until April 20
    ZombiU (Wii U Retail Download) - €34.99/£29.99 until April 4th
    Assassin's Creed III (Wii U Retail Download) - €29.99/£29.99 until April 4th
    Just Dance 4 (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/£19.99 until April 4th
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/£19.99 until April 4th
    Rabbids Land (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/£19.99 until April 4th
    Sports Connection (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/£19.99 until April 4th
    Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (Wii U Retail Download) - €24.99/£19.99 until April 4th

Lots of 3DS retail downloads this week, and some of 'em are even reasonably priced! RE Mercenaries is gonna sell a ton at that price, I imagine.

The 3DS Save Data Transfer Tool allows you to extract save data from your game cartridges in order to use it with your digital eShop games; this is a one-way transfer and will permanently erase the save data from the cart, so use with caution.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm talking about NA, they have digital rewards for gold status every month. But I think all the platinum rewards are physical.

So were we. Doc Louis' Punch-Out!! was a platinum reward, and the 2012 gold reward let you choose from a bunch of VC games in a similar but not identical fashion to the regular digital rewards they offer every month.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

So were we. Doc Louis' Punch-Out!! was a platinum reward, and the 2012 gold reward let you choose from a bunch of VC games in a similar but not identical fashion to the regular digital rewards they offer every month.

I see. I understand now, thanks.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I see. I understand now, thanks.

:) Here's some proof that I'm not crazy.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/06/club-nintendos-2012-platinum-and-gold-prizes-revealed

Lastly, a new option added for this year – games! Club Nintendo started offering game downloads a few months ago, so Platinum and Gold users can opt to ignore all of the physical prizes to instead score a free digital download instead. The games on offer are Super Mario Kart and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask from the Wii Virtual Console, Metroid II: Return of Samus from the 3DS Virtual Console and Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! from DSiWare (only redeemable on a 3DS, though.) Note that if you go the game download route, you only get to pick one of these listed titles.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

PAL update (week of March 28)

Last Thursday of March and still no Mega Man 3...

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

elf help book posted:

:) Here's some proof that I'm not crazy.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/06/club-nintendos-2012-platinum-and-gold-prizes-revealed

Lastly, a new option added for this year – games! Club Nintendo started offering game downloads a few months ago, so Platinum and Gold users can opt to ignore all of the physical prizes to instead score a free digital download instead. The games on offer are Super Mario Kart and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask from the Wii Virtual Console, Metroid II: Return of Samus from the 3DS Virtual Console and Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! from DSiWare (only redeemable on a 3DS, though.) Note that if you go the game download route, you only get to pick one of these listed titles.

My confusion came from thinking you had to get gold status every month to receive games. I didn't realise that you only needed that for the rewards at the end of the Nintendo year. I'm not sure it's still limited to one game a month though? I just redeemed a reward game, I'm viewing a second at the moment and it's not giving any warning that I couldn't obtain it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

PAL update (week of March 28)
On one hand, i'm really happy to see lots of third party retail downloads being put on the eShop, and hope they get some of the other nice titles that missed the eShop bus, like the Square Enix games and stuff like Rhythm Thief or Shinobi.

But on the other hand, i'm disappointed that they still haven't put Kid Icarus: Uprising on there yet. Literally every other first party game is on there, and the "but the stand" reasoning is stupid, as they are perfectly fine letting anyone who buys the game secondhand have to crawl through the game standless.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

AngryCaterpillar posted:

My confusion came from thinking you had to get gold status every month to receive games. I didn't realise that you only needed that for the rewards at the end of the Nintendo year. I'm not sure it's still limited to one game a month though? I just redeemed a reward game, I'm viewing a second at the moment and it's not giving any warning that I couldn't obtain it.

There's no monthly limit. If you have the coins you can buy as much as you want. The items just rotate every month.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Crawfish posted:

But on the other hand, i'm disappointed that they still haven't put Kid Icarus: Uprising on there yet. Literally every other first party game is on there, and the "but the stand" reasoning is stupid, as they are perfectly fine letting anyone who buys the game secondhand have to crawl through the game standless.

Nintendo doesn't care about the people buying it second hand. Though I do agree - I've played through Kid Icarus without the stand and it was fine. In fact I've used it more for art academy.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The 3DS Save Data Transfer Tool allows you to extract save data from your game cartridges in order to use it with your digital eShop games; this is a one-way transfer and will permanently erase the save data from the cart, so use with caution.

Does that mean when I use the app, I could get a digital version of the game for free, OR is it that I need to have the digital game at first, and I can transfer the cart's save file to the digital version? (I never heard TOO MUCH about the Transfer Tool, so I'm lost)

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

LightningKimba posted:

OR is it that I need to have the digital game at first, and I can transfer the cart's save file to the digital version?

This. Like Nintendo would let people use more than one copy of their owned games :roflolmao:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
March 25th and Nintendo still haven't released Nintendoji to the eStore. I don't think there are any other gold/platinum Club Nintendo Japan members about, but I just wanted to vent (the release date they gave back in December was "March 2013")

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A new 3DS firmware update just went live - it's mostly background stuff to prepare for the save transfer app, from the looks of things, but there are a couple other minor eShop/browser changes, too.

EDIT: patch notes

quote:

Version 5.0.0-11U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:
Nintendo eShop improvements*

Users will no longer need to close the Nintendo eShop application to ensure the "Download Later" feature works while the Nintendo 3DS is in Sleep Mode.
Other improvements to usability have been made, including the ability to download software update data in the background.

Improvements to system stability and usability

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.
*System menu versions 5.0.0-0U through 5.0.0-10U do not include these improvements.
The following, which were included within previous system updates, are not included with system menu versions 5.0.0-0U through 5.0.0-4U:
New features for the Nintendo 3DS Camera
New content for StreetPass Mii Plaza
System Transfer between two Nintendo 3DS systems
The following, which were included within previous system updates, are not included with system menu versions 5.0.0-0U through 5.0.0-1U:
Addition of Internet Browser
Addition of Nintendo eShop
System Transfer from a Nintendo DSi or Nintendo DSi XL system

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 26, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wark Say posted:

Ah, the Miyamoto mii for the Luigi Mansion eShop release. :allears:

I know it's a gimmick and all, but every time something like this happens I'm filled with this nonsensical warm and fuzzy feeling.

To add to this, there's a Miyamoto swapnote for Luigi's Mansion too. He even has audio in it.

poo poo, I wasn't THAT interested in the game before, but I might have to get it with some free cash now....

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

That 3DS system update seems to be giving a not-insignificant subset of people trouble leading to an error code and the loss of ability to access both the eShop itself and System Settings. Beware.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

That 3DS system update seems to be giving a not-insignificant subset of people trouble leading to an error code and the loss of ability to access both the eShop itself and System Settings. Beware.

Oh hey this literally just happened to me isn't that real fuckin neat

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Guess I'll wait to update until I hear that it's fixed. Thanks for taking that bullet, people who already applied the update!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

gently caress, now both my Wii U and 3DS have lost eShop connectivity.

Great going Nintendo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Is anyone with a PAL-region 3DS having this problem? It seems like it might be an NA-only issue.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Aw, I just started the update. Now I guess there's nothing I can do.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I updated and tried the 3DS eShop... I got in just fine, so I dunno if I got lucky or what. :shobon:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Update done and I can still access the eShop and Settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Pal 3DS here and I too can still access the eShop and Settings.