Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Normally I hate case/problem/guest star-of-the-week shows, but I like the overarching storylines tying everything together, and hopefully the later seasons become more serialized. It helps that I have a lot of goodwill for Timothy Olyphant from Deadwood and the outstanding Walton Goggins from The Shield (who is KILLING IT as Boyd Crowder), and I've always been a bit of an Elmore Leonard fan as well.

You're going to have a awesome time with series 2, 3 and 4. :)

quote:

At least Justified hasn't yet made the mistake of focusing too much on Raylan's relatively generic co-workers.

We're usually just happy whenever they get lines that the writers remember they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Herb Stencil posted:

I know it's not original, or even a little uncommon, but I finally decided to finish Twin Peaks. I'd only ever worked through the first story arc the first investigation and finally sort of thwarting BOB So recently I sat down and finished out season 2. I can't say I loved everything about it but I did love a lot of it. I can only imagine seeing the ending when it aired and how it must have gone over with the die-hard fans It was a fantastic break from my usual habit of watching sitcoms, but I feel empty inside now. I almost wish I'd never gone back to watch the second arc.

You might as well watch Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me now. The first third is awesome, but it's much darker and more disturbing than the series, with none of the humor after that point. It is a prequel rather than a continuation, so don't expect some magical finale that wraps up all the loose ends from the series. Unfortunately, it bombed, so Lynch never made the other two movies he hoped to make that would wrap everything up with a satisfying conclusion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

You might as well watch Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me now. The first third is awesome, but it's much darker and more disturbing than the series, with none of the humor after that point. It is a prequel rather than a continuation, so don't expect some magical finale that wraps up all the loose ends from the series. Unfortunately, it bombed, so Lynch never made the other two movies he hoped to make that would wrap everything up with a satisfying conclusion.

There is hints on where they were going to go. Also the bizarro Twin Peaks is amazing.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

You may also enjoy the Twin Peaks "reunion" on Psych, "Dual Spires.". Lots of nods to the series and a bunch of series regulars.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
So, I just finished watching the pilot for The Shield, and I'm hooked already. This is going to be a full-on binge. I pretty much have nothing else that I'm watching right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard fans of the show say they didn't really like the first few episodes? If that's the case, then I will probably love this show because that was an amazing pilot, in my opinion. I did NOT see that coming. Holy poo poo, Vic Mackey.

And yeah, Twin Peaks is awesome. I haven't seen Fire Walk With Me, and I heard that it isn't really worth it. Maybe I will give it a shot now.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Exploder posted:

So, I just finished watching the pilot for The Shield, and I'm hooked already. This is going to be a full-on binge. I pretty much have nothing else that I'm watching right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard fans of the show say they didn't really like the first few episodes? If that's the case, then I will probably love this show because that was an amazing pilot, in my opinion. I did NOT see that coming. Holy poo poo, Vic Mackey.

And yeah, Twin Peaks is awesome. I haven't seen Fire Walk With Me, and I heard that it isn't really worth it. Maybe I will give it a shot now.

The pilot is amazing. The rest of the first season does seem a bit aimless at times though, but it's still pretty drat good. After season 1, it only gets better. I envy you, watching it for the first time.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Since I'm at home with the flu, I'm rewatching Scrubs. I must've seen all episodes at least five times, but it never gets old to me.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Just finished a rewatch of Breaking Bad Season 3. I'd honestly forgot how brilliant that season was. Maybe it's due to Seasons 4 & 5A blowing doors down with their excellence but drat do I appreciate this one a lot more now. So many jaw dropping moments, great character development and tension like no other show has done on this level. I mean in "One Minute": That final scene. Jesus. I knew everything that was going to happen and was still tense as hell. What an amazing piece of television. In fact that whole episode is a work of art. Jesse's speech to Walt about how he has nothing left is just heart-wrenching.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just did a marathon of Terriers

So much win in such a little show.
Not a crap actor or role in the whole show.

Hank and Britt's bromance
Hank and Gustafson's frenemy bromance

Donal Logue nailed the gently caress outta that role. Michael Raymond-James was just charming from beginning to end, killed it.

Karina Logue as Steph was beyond brilliant as the slightly mental sister.

They work well as Brother and sister on screen, kinda wish they had been able to do it on Sons of Anarchy.

I seriously hope Shawn Ryan can get a TV Movie off the ground.

Not to mention Quarls from Justified being Quarls in Terriers... almost exactly the same.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm on the first season of Night Court. I can definitely see why they decided that Paula Kelly and Karen Austin just didn't quite work with the rest of the cast, but I love the hell out of Selma Diamond, it's such a shame that she only could last two seasons.

The trio of Harry Anderson, John Larroquette, and Richard Moll, of course, are fantastic. Can't wait until Markie Post comes in.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm behind on several sitcoms. Some are ending/ended, some got terrible, some are still good but I just haven't had time. I'll still watch each of them because I want to know what happens to the characters, so which one should I catch up with first?

The Office: Saw the first episode of this season, nothing beyond it.
Modern Family: Same.
How I Met Your Mother: Haven't seen any of this season.
30 Rock: Didn't see season 6 or 7.
Apartment 23: Liked the first season, haven't seen the second.
Always Sunny: I'm something like 3 seasons behind, but I'm probably less likely to binge something with a ton of episodes right now and save it for summer instead.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
30 Rock got better for season 6, and especially season 7, and ended with one of the best sitcom finales I've seen, so if you stopped watching because you thought it got worse, stick with it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

sticklefifer posted:

I'm behind on several sitcoms. Some are ending/ended, some got terrible, some are still good but I just haven't had time. I'll still watch each of them because I want to know what happens to the characters, so which one should I catch up with first?

The Office: Saw the first episode of this season, nothing beyond it.
Modern Family: Same.
How I Met Your Mother: Haven't seen any of this season.
30 Rock: Didn't see season 6 or 7.
Apartment 23: Liked the first season, haven't seen the second.
Always Sunny: I'm something like 3 seasons behind, but I'm probably less likely to binge something with a ton of episodes right now and save it for summer instead.

I watch all of these.
Office - Eh. Nothing particularly great about this last season.
Modern Family - Still consistently good. It doesn't try to be particularly different or break its formula, but it does what it does well.
30 Rock - The final season was pretty good. Consensus is that the show ended well.
Apartment 23 - Some people love this show. I think it's just okay. If you liked the 1st season, I'd say the 2nd got better.
Always Sunny - If you liked the show up until now, it's more of the same. Which means some great episodes, some that don't work as well, but pretty much a consistent tone throughout.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

richardfun posted:

The pilot is amazing. The rest of the first season does seem a bit aimless at times though, but it's still pretty drat good. After season 1, it only gets better. I envy you, watching it for the first time.

I'm pumped. I haven't been this excited about binging through a show (that had a long run) since I watched Lost last year.

Rocksicles posted:

Just did a marathon of Terriers

It seems like a lot of people (including myself) are watching Terriers lately. I wonder how well it's doing on Netflix. Obviously I am living in fantasy land here, but I wonder if Terriers is a show they look at and consider bringing back on Netflix if it's getting a lot of views. It seems like it would be an inexpensive show to produce. Look at what happened to The Killing, and it's a terrible show, but it's inexpensive enough to justify bringing it back. I can't imagine that Donal Logue and Michael Raymond-James would demand that large of a contract. Again, it's fantasy land, but I can dream.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Exploder posted:

I'm pumped. I haven't been this excited about binging through a show (that had a long run) since I watched Lost last year.

It seems like a lot of people (including myself) are watching Terriers lately. I wonder how well it's doing on Netflix. Obviously I am living in fantasy land here, but I wonder if Terriers is a show they look at and consider bringing back on Netflix if it's getting a lot of views. It seems like it would be an inexpensive show to produce. Look at what happened to The Killing, and it's a terrible show, but it's inexpensive enough to justify bringing it back. I can't imagine that Donal Logue and Michael Raymond-James would demand that large of a contract. Again, it's fantasy land, but I can dream.

I've watches it before, when it first aired and loved it. Been sitting on my HDD gathering dust since.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I figured I'd finally get around to seeing 30 Rock now it's wrapped up, first season was pretty good, 2nd season... How the hell did this line get on air:

It wouldn't be a Lemon party without old dick.

This show is a great little comedy and I'm pissed off I didn't check it out sooner.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

qbert posted:

I watch all of these.
Office - Eh. Nothing particularly great about this last season.
Modern Family - Still consistently good. It doesn't try to be particularly different or break its formula, but it does what it does well.
30 Rock - The final season was pretty good. Consensus is that the show ended well.
Apartment 23 - Some people love this show. I think it's just okay. If you liked the 1st season, I'd say the 2nd got better.
Always Sunny - If you liked the show up until now, it's more of the same. Which means some great episodes, some that don't work as well, but pretty much a consistent tone throughout.

Pretty much agree with most of this. Office is slightly better this season than last.

How I Met Your Mother: Still hit or miss episodes. The first 6 or so aren't that great but it really has been hitting a stride lately.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Exploder posted:

Come on over to the Shield thread and give us some updates. The thread is spoiler free.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

VodeAndreas posted:

I figured I'd finally get around to seeing 30 Rock now it's wrapped up, first season was pretty good, 2nd season... How the hell did this line get on air:

It wouldn't be a Lemon party without old dick.

There's a Tubgirl reference to look forward to in series 7.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've spent all day absorbing Black Mirror like a sponge and I don't know why it took me so long to get around to it, especially since it's by Brooker. I don't think I've seen anything in the last few years that managed to give me such a feeling of creeping dread just watching TV.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Oh man. Black Mirror is one of my favorite shows and wish they made more per season.

I never gave Arrow a chance initially but caught up on all the episodes recently and I am glad I did. I figured it would be more like Smallville but it's so much better than I expected.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Anyone here ever watch Boomtown? I've been going through Justified recently, and it's absolutely fantastic, and I heard a lot of the same cast and crew were back on Boomtown and that it got decent reviews. Premise seems intriguing, I've just never ever heard anyone ever mention it...

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Boomtown is pretty good, although I would say it's more like Southland than Justified. Also if I remember correctly, after the first season there were some huge changes to the cast, writing, and production because it felt like a different not as good show. But the first season is definitely worth a watch. Donnie Wahlberg, Mykelti Williamson, and Neal McDonough all do tremendous jobs. It also has a great intro.

Came across the first episode on Youtube here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaA9kPfaizM

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 24, 2013

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

-Blackadder- posted:

Boomtown is pretty good, although I would say it's more like Southland than Justified. Also if I remember correctly, after the first season there were some huge changes to the cast, writing, and production because it felt like a different not as good show. But the first season is definitely worth a watch. Donnie Wahlberg, Mykelti Williamson, and Neal McDonough all do tremendous jobs. It also has a great intro.

That's a pretty good description of it. It leans more towards case-of-the-week than over-arching stories, although it has more of the latter than your L&O/CSI run-of-the-mill procedurals. The cast is fantastic, the Tarantino-esque timelines usually work, and it's got a unique sense of humor that sets it apart from most other cop shows. It does lean a bit more towards the melodramatic than most other shows in the genre, but I'd second the recommendation if you're able to get your hands on a copy of Season 1.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CaptainHollywood posted:

Pretty much agree with most of this. Office is slightly better this season than last.

How I Met Your Mother: Still hit or miss episodes. The first 6 or so aren't that great but it really has been hitting a stride lately.

HIMYM is one that I seem to watch more for how intricately they plan the plot with callbacks and foreshadowing, so I enjoy it even when the jokes aren't particularly great.

Without having to delve into The Office thread and search pages of reactions, what's the general consensus about further breaking the 4th wall with the film crew? I figured they'd eventually have to address it, but it's often very jarring so far.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

richardfun posted:

Report back once you've seen it all.

richardfun posted:

Report back once you've seen it all.
Done. I thought the final season was nearly perfect. I just wish that the whole thing had ended with the shot of Adama sitting next to Roslin's grave. I did not need to see Gaius + Six in New York; actually, it kind of ruined the last episode for me, because it felt so loving ham-fisted. I guess they could have made up another explanation than "ANGELS" for a couple of things, but I didn't mind the "angels". The whole thing was about faith, so they might as well run with it. Kara disappearing was pretty much what I expected. But somehow it bugged me that after she had found her burned body, Leoben never spoke with her again. It was just like "gently caress, I was wrong, I'm out of here". But overall it was a tremendous, moving experience. I cared for so many of those characters, it was crazy.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 24, 2013

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Did you watch the movies/spinoffs/webisodes too?

Razor is okay, but doesn't really add anything to it other than Cain's motivations for hating the Cylons so much, especially Sixes.
The Plan is just fill-in for some plot gaps on the Cylon end; again, doesn't add much but at least shows the other side.
Blood & Chrome and Caprica both have their moments, but as prequels they really just focus on their own stories.
The Resistance web series was fairly decent if you were invested in the very minor characters too.
The Face of the Enemy web series wasn't as good, but revealed why Gaeta stabbed Baltar.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 24, 2013

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

sticklefifer posted:

Did you watch the movies/spinoffs/webisodes too?

Razor is okay, but doesn't really add anything to it other than Cain's motivations for hating the Cylons so much, especially Sixes.
The Plan is just fill-in for some plot gaps on the Cylon end; again, doesn't add much but at least shows the other side.
Blood & Chrome and Caprica both have their moments, but as prequels they really just focus on their own stories.
The Resistance web series was fairly decent if you were invested in the very minor characters too.
The Face of the Enemy web series wasn't as good, but revealed why Gaeta stabbed Baltar.
I had no idea all of this existed. Thanks a lot for pointing it out!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Jack's Flow posted:

Kara disappearing was pretty much what I expected. But somehow it bugged me that after she had found her burned body, Leoben never spoke with her again. It was just like "gently caress, I was wrong, I'm out of here". But overall it was a tremendous, moving experience.
That bugged me, too, and I felt justified in being bugged after reading a few interviews with Katee Sackhoff in which she said it bothered her, as well. But (I guess I'll spoiler tag this) Callum Keith Rennie had been contracted to do another series at that point and couldn't be around for filming any more episodes -- it's a shame they just had him bail on her, though, without a goodbye or anything...that seemed out of character).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rabbit Hill posted:

That bugged me, too, and I felt justified in being bugged after reading a few interviews with Katee Sackhoff in which she said it bothered her, as well. But (I guess I'll spoiler tag this) Callum Keith Rennie had been contracted to do another series at that point and couldn't be around for filming any more episodes -- it's a shame they just had him bail on her, though, without a goodbye or anything...that seemed out of character).

I alwasy saw it He was scared of her. He had no idea what she was and due to that he no longer wanted to be around her

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

bobkatt013 posted:

I alwasy saw it He was scared of her. He had no idea what she was and due to that he no longer wanted to be around her
He definitely was scared shitless of her, I agree. But he was also the guy who had no problem scaring the poo poo out of her for years, pushing her towards her "destiny". And then their contact simply stops. No Kara brute forcing her way through the base-ship to talk to him, to demand a conversation about what happened on that planet? That just felt "wrong" to me, given the overall tone of the show. It's interesting to know that he simply wasn't around anymore to appear in more episodes.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
It's a shame I've waited so long but I'm now pouring through the new Doctor Who series. I'm only a few episodes into Matt Smith as the Doctor but I really like what is developing with the River Song subplot.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

lifts cats over head posted:

It's a shame I've waited so long but I'm now pouring through the new Doctor Who series. I'm only a few episodes into Matt Smith as the Doctor but I really like what is developing with the River Song subplot.

Eugh, I've really disliked all of Matt Smiths Doctor so far. I couldn't even make it through that season.

There's a reason people are campaigning for Benedict Cumberbatch to take over the role.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Picked up Game of Thrones S2 and suffering from the same problem I had in S1. I sit down to watch 1 episode and end up watching 3. Its a good thing theres only 10 episodes per season. I bought this set friday and have 2 episodes left. Probably gonna watch the last 2 tonight. Very interested about whats gonna happen.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Picked up Game of Thrones S2 and suffering from the same problem I had in S1. I sit down to watch 1 episode and end up watching 3. Its a good thing theres only 10 episodes per season. I bought this set friday and have 2 episodes left. Probably gonna watch the last 2 tonight. Very interested about whats gonna happen.

You're about to watch the best episode yet. Get ready.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Eugh, I've really disliked all of Matt Smiths Doctor so far. I couldn't even make it through that season.

There's a reason people are campaigning for Benedict Cumberbatch to take over the role.

Cumberbatch would be an excellent Doctor but I would have trouble not seeing Sherlock. In fact he could play Sherlock playing the Doctor and I'd probably enjoy all of it. I've actually been surprised by Matt Smith, although admittedly my expectations were very very low to start for some reason.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Because tumblr?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Smith is pretty much objectively better than Tennant and had his moments when he was better than Eccleston (although I thought Nine was better overall).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bown posted:

Because tumblr?

and a poll in the Sun :colbert:

lifts cats over head posted:

Cumberbatch would be an excellent Doctor but I would have trouble not seeing Sherlock. In fact he could play Sherlock playing the Doctor and I'd probably enjoy all of it.

Yep, that's pretty much my take on it.

computer parts posted:

Smith is pretty much objectively better than Tennant and had his moments when he was better than Eccleston (although I thought Nine was better overall).

IMO opinion it's Tennant>Eccleston>Smith

I'd be interested to hear who everyone's favourite companion was. I'd have to say mine was Martha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I'd be interested to hear who everyone's favourite companion was. I'd have to say mine was Martha.

You should drop by the Doctor Who thread, this will make interesting arguments.