Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Dang, here I was hoping for My Little Centaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

CvS2 coming as a PS3 download next month, according to Joystiq!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

CvS2 coming as a PS3 download next month, according to Joystiq!

If it's like the Japanese one, its a PS2 classics version. Dont get me wrong, amazing game that everyone should own, just dont get any hopes up about online play or new modes or anything.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Gutcruncher posted:

If it's like the Japanese one, its a PS2 classics version. Dont get me wrong, amazing game that everyone should own, just dont get any hopes up about online play or new modes or anything.
I had already gotten my hopes up by the time I scrolled down. :(

Edit: The Joystiq article is titled "Capcom vs SNK 2 due for PS2 Classics release in late April" so that's that.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
It is the PS2 version, complete with the input lag of running PS2 classics on a PS3.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Releasing a lovely version with no netcode is just a cruel joke. :(

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Who cares, custom grooves and sprites are cool. :c00l:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

netcat posted:

Releasing a lovely version with no netcode is just a cruel joke. :(

The PS2 release was actually good afaik, but the problem is that the PS2 classics use emulation of some sort which adds input lag.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'd rather travel to the other side of London to play the arcade version rather than play a laggy emulation, but if that's all you're gonna get, I suppose it's a pretty decent deal.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
You guys saw this, right:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/deadpool-mortal-kombat-strider-prey-2-steam-achievements-leaked-pes-2013-coming-to-steam/

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

I'd buy KOF XIII for PC if the netplay got fixed. Otherwise it seems kind of pointless.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I'm sure being on PC the netcode will be vastly improved...now if we could just get that climax update that will fix the move interpreter...not likely

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Someone could hack in real netcode though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If anyone hasn't contributed to the Skullgirls indiegogo yet, it's got under three days left and is almost to unlocking the third character!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I would donate if I wasn't sure that the awesome characters like Sharknerd and Anvildudley will inevitably be passed over in favor of something like the hot schoolteacher. :smith:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

AnonSpore posted:

I would donate if I wasn't sure that the awesome characters like Sharknerd and Anvildudley will inevitably be passed over in favor of something like the hot schoolteacher. :smith:

Actually, shark nerd has a huge following and might win. The other popular choice is a guy that fights with time travel. Like some high end, pro strats, quantum poo poo.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

AkumaHokoru posted:

I'm sure being on PC the netcode will be vastly improved...now if we could just get that climax update that will fix the move interpreter...not likely

This is the first time I've heard about this, could you elaborate whats up with the input system? I know 13 has some quirks but not heard about anything major.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AnonSpore posted:

If you haven't seen it, there's some details on all the potential characters over here: http://www.labzerogames.com/3rdcharacter/

Just about everyone seems to have some really interesting design and potential! I mean, check out Molly:

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

AnonSpore posted:

The hot schoolteacher sounds way more interesting than those two characters.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ixiggle posted:

This is the first time I've heard about this, could you elaborate whats up with the input system? I know 13 has some quirks but not heard about anything major.

there are certain inputs that always get taken a certain way like if you try to step forward and throw a fireball the game gives the forward down forward priority over the step forward qcf input and things like that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

AkumaHokoru posted:

there are certain inputs that always get taken a certain way like if you try to step forward and throw a fireball the game gives the forward down forward priority over the step forward qcf input and things like that.

And it's insanely lenient on certain motions in ways that don't even make sense, like you can input DPs as HCB Fw.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

getitoffgetitoff posted:

The hot schoolteacher sounds way more interesting than those two characters.

Design wise not really since she shares the same silhouette as a few of the cast members already. Cheesecake boobs/butts are nice but when it's on every single character it's silly. Skullgirls should've taken a lesson from from Capcom via Street Fighter/Darkstalkers design.

There's a reason why lovely R.Mika who only appeared in one Capcom game and characters Felicia and Morrigan are popular. Go easy on the amount of sexy and maximize it on a few characters and it'll pop out to your audience more. When it's on every single character then whats the point of even creating a serious storyline? Everyone looks like a prostitute and it's hard taking the design seriously even though the animation is great.

With that said, some of the ones they're proposing look amazing and would go a long way in strengthening their visual style. The game needs more characters like Peacock and Big Band.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 25, 2013

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

Ixiggle posted:

IIRC there's some funky inputs that can happen, both when you want them to (like you can do qcb,hcf as qcb,qcb,f, I think it is, but that also might be intentional), but also when you don't want them to, like trying to take a step forward and throw a fireball with a char that has an F, QCF super motion like Ryo.

I don't mind input leniency but when you start getting moves you have no intention of doing, then it becomes a problem.

Also, there's a four frame or so buffer on moves, so you can press C at neutral and if you push forward or back within those four frames, you get a throw.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

With that said, some of the ones they're proposing look amazing and would go a long way in strengthening their visual style. The game needs more characters like Peacock and Big Band.

At first I thought you meant like Peacock gameplay wise. One character that can fill the screen with bullshit is enough, tyvm.

I want Beowulf to win because the more games I can be grapplers that hit people with chairs in, the better.

UberChair fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 25, 2013

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

UberChair posted:

At first I thought you meant like Peacock gameplay wise. One character that can fill the screen with bullshit is enough, tyvm.

I want to be able to play Cable/Peacock/Morrigan, thank you very much. :colbert:

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

And it's insanely lenient on certain motions in ways that don't even make sense, like you can input DPs as HCB Fw.

But imagine having to super cancel a DP into a QCB,HCF super without that input for a DP. Ugh. Doing it as HCB, FW+button, QCF+button is at least manageable.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

UberChair posted:

I want Beowulf to win because the more games I can be grapplers that hit people with chairs in, the better.

Oh woops, I just meant their visual look. I know it ruffles feathers but I really want this game to be successful outside a small circle of folks and visuals do a lot for people outside the fighting game community. I prefer it's animation to to just about everything that's out aside from 3rd Strike and KOF.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Oh I fully agree. I meant from a gameplay perspective though.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

The KOF13 alternate inputs are necessary and intended as a result of them making simple specials (DP/fireball) have more leniency. I think it's a pretty great way to do it because it allows people to get into it at a funhaver level pretty easily while presenting clear options for advanced combos for people who know what to do. That said they could have done a better job of explaining it within the game. It keeps most of the familiarity for older KOF players with the signature ranbu/maiden masher inputs while making it easier for people who haven't been playing it for years. There's still a few exceptions where you run into them giving you the wrong thing and there's no other option (like Kyo's midscreen HD with the dp xx running grab stuff), but overall I think it's a pretty elegant way to deal with 3 distinct levels of KOF specific execution.

That said I have a huge boner for the game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Oh I fully agree. I meant from a gameplay perspective though.

Given that hot teacher has no description on her playstyle except "fights like a teacher, also hilarious fighting game references" and her main inspirations are fairly bland Rival Schools characters (every other game mentioned doesn't even have a character listed, so I can only assume they're using in references but don't directly influence her playstyle), while Sharknerd is based on Slayer, and Anvildudley is based on Dudley and Steve, I have no idea how you can think this. I mean, the only thing you can really glean from the teacher's description outside of cosmetic stuff is that she might have counters, because Kyoko, Hayato, and Hideo were pretty drat vanilla as far as gameplay mechanics went. Hell, Hideo is literally Ryu with a divekick--he even has the same supers. Even as characters they were decidedly less than memorable.

Meanwhile a lot of the characters Stanley and Andy are based on had immensely memorable and character defining gameplay mechanics. Slayer's backdash cancel invulnerability, links in a game where almost everything was a chain combo from Slash onward, the dandy step system (especially once its FRC was added), Dudley's incredible corner combos, Steve having his kick buttons all replaced by ducking and weaving, the list goes on.

...And so I donated to the kickstarter. :v:

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

ReVerve posted:

But imagine having to super cancel a DP into a QCB,HCF super without that input for a DP. Ugh. Doing it as HCB, FW+button, QCF+button is at least manageable.

Except it's not really hard to super cancel DPs in qcb,hcf in most KOFs since the shortcut of d(b), b, f works and is much easier than a system with hosed up input priority and overlapping motions.

quote:

The KOF13 alternate inputs are necessary and intended as a result of them making simple specials (DP/fireball) have more leniency. I think it's a pretty great way to do it because it allows people to get into it at a funhaver level pretty easily while presenting clear options for advanced combos for people who know what to do.

They aren't necessary. At all.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with how the characters felt from the Atomiswave-era on.
The alternate inputs actually make A LOT of things actually harder to do than in older KOFs, which is the exact opposite of what Playmore intended.
Controls that are way too loose are just as bad as controls that are way too stiff.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

forget about doing anything off a dash without stopping long enough to see the char stop...unless you intended to do a running dp. running anything else...might be asking for trouble.

Shiki Dan posted:

Controls that are way too loose are just as bad as controls that are way too stiff.
this is mainly the problem the game holds on to your inputs far too long for moves.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
Anyone have a recommendation for a stick bag? I'm using a qanba q4 for size reference.

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm looking for a good/tight local-2-player fighting game for stoned bullshitting and finding out who is THE MAN, for the PC. So far our group of friends has played DBZ Budokai 3 (emulated), Tekken 5 (emulated), SSBB, and Street Fighter X Tekken. SSFIV sounds like the reigning king at the moment, but goon opinions are always welcome.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sumotori.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Akatsuki Blitzkampf

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The answer to that question and most others is Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

quakster posted:

Sumotori.
The fights in Sumotori are meaningless. The real fun is in the "drunk man standing up" simulator.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

junan_paalla posted:

I'm looking for a good/tight local-2-player fighting game for stoned bullshitting and finding out who is THE MAN, for the PC. So far our group of friends has played DBZ Budokai 3 (emulated), Tekken 5 (emulated), SSBB, and Street Fighter X Tekken. SSFIV sounds like the reigning king at the moment, but goon opinions are always welcome.

Even though SF4 is my favorite fighting game to play, for your purposes I don't think it's a great choice. If you just want to have fun with your friends and don't really care to work your way toward high level play or whatever, then SF4 is going to just feel really boring. I feel like KOF98 is actually really fun to play when everyone is pretty new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

junan_paalla posted:

Dong Dong Never Die.

• Locked thread