Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

T-Mobile now has a deal where it is supposedly truly unlimited 4G data for $70/month, no contract. For anyone who uses massive amounts of data this is a pretty sweet deal

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

oops meant to edit the above post

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

johnny sack posted:

T-Mobile now has a deal where it is supposedly truly unlimited 4G data for $70/month, no contract. For anyone who uses massive amounts of data this is a pretty sweet deal

Do you have a link to said deal?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Do you have a link to said deal?
It's on their website now when you try to sign up

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/individual-plans.aspx?AID=11031750&PID=6147683

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/03/t-mobiles-new-rate-plans-are-live-right-on-schedule/

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Does "Includes up to 500MB of data for Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (Additional options available for more tethering data)" mean they somehow would know and limit you from using this plan as high speed Internet for your whole house? I'm very new to this but I know I'd love to stop paying $70/mo to Comcast.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

T-Mobile does packet inspection to tell what browser you're using, among other things. It's easy for them to automatically detect that you're tethering.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

td4guy posted:

T-Mobile does packet inspection to tell what browser you're using, among other things. It's easy for them to automatically detect that you're tethering.

Even if you're tethering an android tablet?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

You may be able to get around the packet inspection by using a VPN service, which can be set up for constant usage on many routers and Android phones. I can't recommend a particular VPN provider since I haven't used any. There is a goon-run VPN service stickied in SA-Mart though.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

You may be able to get around the packet inspection by using a VPN service, which can be set up for constant usage on many routers and Android phones. I can't recommend a particular VPN provider since I haven't used any. There is a goon-run VPN service stickied in SA-Mart though.

You can also avoid the TMO paywall by setting your user agent on your laptop to look like Android. However you get mobile formatted pages.

Zero VGS posted:

1) As of right now, you can tether to any other mobile device without issues, but you will hit a T-Mobile paywall if you browse on a computer without spoofing your User Agent. Here's a plug-in for Windows Chrome that works great for me: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg

Older quote. I've set my user agent by hand in Chrome to get around it before.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

So I'm thinking about switching from Virgin Mobile/HTC One V to StraightTalk/Nexus 4 or iPhone. I would go with the AT&T network, but I'm concerned about one thing in particular. My girlfriend has a 2-year contract and an iPhone 4S with AT&T. We both travel to Canada from the USA, my Virgin Mobile service is non-existent in the great white north. I've noticed that her coverage bounces between the Canadian networks. For instance, we were in downtown Toronto and she was on the Telus network. Once we were closer to the border, it was on Rogers. If I go with StraightTalk, would I be able to use my phone in Canada? Would that too bounce between networks? Are there roaming charges? What are the catches (if any)?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

THEY CALL HIM BOSS posted:

So I'm thinking about switching from Virgin Mobile/HTC One V to StraightTalk/Nexus 4 or iPhone. I would go with the AT&T network, but I'm concerned about one thing in particular. My girlfriend has a 2-year contract and an iPhone 4S with AT&T. We both travel to Canada from the USA, my Virgin Mobile service is non-existent in the great white north. I've noticed that her coverage bounces between the Canadian networks. For instance, we were in downtown Toronto and she was on the Telus network. Once we were closer to the border, it was on Rogers. If I go with StraightTalk, would I be able to use my phone in Canada? Would that too bounce between networks? Are there roaming charges? What are the catches (if any)?

There is roaming for AT&T on Straight Talk, but I personally don't know exactly what they use for it. There are no roaming charges for Straight Talk.

However, I would actually say look into Red Pocket if you can't find any ST AT&T micro SIMs. AT&T is kind of bitching about ST and Net10 taking their postpaid customers away so they're going after them with insanely low caps on data. Net10 has a set 1.5GB, ST has a limit of...no one knows.

Red Pocket is AT&T as well, but they have a set cap of 2GB/mo which is about 100MB/day. Most people won't hit this, so you'd be okay. Not to mention, RP has a much better customer service. It's generally accepted that their on-site chat is much better than their phone support though.

It also seems like RP is a lot less harsh (probably because they have a set 2GB cap and not some invisible one like Straight Talk).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hey.

It's been over 8 months since I updated the OP.

Since that time, among other things, Sprint has started allowing their prepaid brands and some MVNOs to use 4G LTE on their network, Straight Talk has added "Bring Your Own Verizon Phone" service, and T-Mobile has gone 100% prepaid, branding themselves as the "UNcarrier".

I'm not really interested in doing a new OP.

If anyone else is, he/she may find prepaidphonenews.com to be helpful. For example:

AT&T and AT&T MVNOs Compared

T-Mobile and T-Mobile MVNOs Compared

Sprint and Sprint MVNOs Compared

Verizon and Verizon MVNOs Compared

Overview of prepaid plans which include data

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Do any of the AT&T MVNOs allow LTE? For example, Red Pocket claims it offers "4G data", but it's unclear whether or not this is just HSPA+ or LTE.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Currently AT&T and Verizon do not provide LTE for MVNOs.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

tonic posted:

Do any of the AT&T MVNOs allow LTE? For example, Red Pocket claims it offers "4G data", but it's unclear whether or not this is just HSPA+ or LTE.

No, they don't use and I doubt AT&T will ever let them.

They're going after both Straight Talk and Net10 for using normal data so the thought of any AT&T MVNO getting LTE is pretty far down the line. I wouldn't be surprised if they just left LTE for their postpaid.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

ThermoPhysical posted:

No, they don't use and I doubt AT&T will ever let them.

They're going after both Straight Talk and Net10 for using normal data so the thought of any AT&T MVNO getting LTE is pretty far down the line. I wouldn't be surprised if they just left LTE for their postpaid.

God i hope Sprint is able to turn it around with LTE.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

God i hope Sprint is able to turn it around with LTE.

After being able to make a call in places where Sprint wouldn't work and being able to switch carriers and take my phone with me, I don't think I'd go back to Sprint.

Well, that and Omaha, NE won't see Sprint LTE until 2014 at the earliest.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

After being able to make a call in places where Sprint wouldn't work and being able to switch carriers and take my phone with me, I don't think I'd go back to Sprint.

Well, that and Omaha, NE won't see Sprint LTE until 2014 at the earliest.

:lol: Oh drat that's a good one, like Omaha will ever see LTE. We're like coffee Dan Hesse made and forgot on the counter - by the time he remembers it's already cold and it's too late to drink coffee so it just gets dumped like it never happened.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

There is roaming for AT&T on Straight Talk, but I personally don't know exactly what they use for it. There are no roaming charges for Straight Talk.

However, I would actually say look into Red Pocket if you can't find any ST AT&T micro SIMs. AT&T is kind of bitching about ST and Net10 taking their postpaid customers away so they're going after them with insanely low caps on data. Net10 has a set 1.5GB, ST has a limit of...no one knows.

Red Pocket is AT&T as well, but they have a set cap of 2GB/mo which is about 100MB/day. Most people won't hit this, so you'd be okay. Not to mention, RP has a much better customer service. It's generally accepted that their on-site chat is much better than their phone support though.

It also seems like RP is a lot less harsh (probably because they have a set 2GB cap and not some invisible one like Straight Talk).

Well, I don't do a ton of web browsing, e-mail, etc. from my smart phone. Additionally, I've been poking around Red Pocket and my initial thoughts aren't good. I had tried their online support chat system to ask questions about Canada calling, etc. and the person on the other end stopped responding. I've also noticed some poor reviews on the Google Play store in regards to their Red Pocket android app.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

THEY CALL HIM BOSS posted:

Well, I don't do a ton of web browsing, e-mail, etc. from my smart phone. Additionally, I've been poking around Red Pocket and my initial thoughts aren't good. I had tried their online support chat system to ask questions about Canada calling, etc. and the person on the other end stopped responding. I've also noticed some poor reviews on the Google Play store in regards to their Red Pocket android app.

The app isn't needed if you want to change APN settings. That's just weird. Plus, those reviews sound really confused. AT&T has nothing to do with the Play Store update and MMS is bad on AT&T prepaid anyway. Even on ST AT&T, it's pretty much nonexistent.

I think they have something on their site about international calling/texting though. I can't check now since I'm on my phone and the site needs a lot of Flash.

E: After reading the comments again, none of those 1-stars are justified. RP stated that the app no longer works on ICS and above due to how Google changed things. But people still download it and complain when it doesn't work.

That's...really sad.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 26, 2013

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Rastor posted:

Straight Talk has added "Bring Your Own Verizon Phone" service

Guessing this is 3G only, but is there any more info about it? I ended up at http://www.straighttalksim.com/ but didn't see a link for VZW BYOD.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

kensei posted:

Guessing this is 3G only, but is there any more info about it?
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013/03/straight-talk-bring-your-own-verizon.html

Supported phones (as you guessed, it's the 3G ones):
http://www.prepaidreviews.com/blog/straight-talk/straight-talk-starting-verizon-byod-program-tomorrow-36564/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So, what's the phone to get off that list? Is it the Palm Treo Pro?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's also an extra 10 bucks a month?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TLG James posted:

It's also an extra 10 bucks a month?

It is, but considering AT&T wants people to stop using ST's data, I'd say its worth it the extra $10 to get a solid cap, better customer support (than ST anyway), and less worry about if you'll be throttled for no reason.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

You're talking about RP, correct? It would be an extra $10 per month with them if I were to get Canada roaming coverage?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

You're talking about RP, correct? It would be an extra $10 per month with them if I were to get Canada roaming coverage?

Now that I'm on my computer, it seems RP does not allow international roaming. So the SIM would only work in the US, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands.
http://help.goredpocket.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/25/0/do-you-have-international-roaming

There is roaming if you're in the US, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands however.
http://help.goredpocket.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/10/0/does-red-pocket-mobile-allow-roaming

You can still send international texts and calls though through RP.

The extra $10 would be for RP's Unlimited Talk/Text and 2GB Data plan though. It's $60/mo instead of $45 (it's actually $15 extra). However, I still think it'd be worth it if you're not already on ST to pick RP instead of ST considering how weird things are getting and will only get in the future due to AT&T's meddling.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Now that I'm on my computer, it seems RP does not allow international roaming. So the SIM would only work in the US, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands.
http://help.goredpocket.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/25/0/do-you-have-international-roaming

There is roaming if you're in the US, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands however.
http://help.goredpocket.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/10/0/does-red-pocket-mobile-allow-roaming

You can still send international texts and calls though through RP.

The extra $10 would be for RP's Unlimited Talk/Text and 2GB Data plan though. It's $60/mo instead of $45 (it's actually $15 extra). However, I still think it'd be worth it if you're not already on ST to pick RP instead of ST considering how weird things are getting and will only get in the future due to AT&T's meddling.

So for unlimited with a 2GB cap on RP it's $60 per month using the AT&T network. Directly with AT&T on a prepaid plan, it's unlimited with a 1GB cap and $65 per month. That's pretty close. It seems like AT&T is trying to force the smaller providers to match them (or at least come close.)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

So for unlimited with a 2GB cap on RP it's $60 per month using the AT&T network. Directly with AT&T on a prepaid plan, it's unlimited with a 1GB cap and $65 per month. That's pretty close. It seems like AT&T is trying to force the smaller providers to match them (or at least come close.)

You know, no one's ever mentioned that and I think you might be on to something. Net10 is reportedly a lot less throttle happy since getting the 1.5GB cap. Where ST seems just as throttle happy if not moreso than before.

I think ST will go down to 1.5GB too soon. I don't know if that's enough to make me jump to RP but who knows at this point. I'm just glad that, if I do decide to leave, there's no ETF and I can just take my phone.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So uh

quote:

As part of T-Mobile's new Uncarrier branding and initiative, it will be selling the iPhone 5 slightly differently than its competitors. Instead of pressing customers to sign a two-year agreement, T-Mobile will let iPhone buyers either pay full price for the device at the time of purchase, or spread the cost over 24 months with installment plans. A 16GB iPhone 5 will sell for $99 up front with 24 months of $20 payments — that's $579 over the two years, $70 less than buying an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4148212/t-mobile-to-carry-the-iphone-starting-on-april-12th-for-99-up-front

Does anyone know if I'd be able to buy a new iPhone 5 from T-Mo and put it on my current plan ($30 100 min plan) using the $99 down + $20/mo deal or if that offer will be limited to their new plans?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

the kawaiiest posted:

So uh

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4148212/t-mobile-to-carry-the-iphone-starting-on-april-12th-for-99-up-front

Does anyone know if I'd be able to buy a new iPhone 5 from T-Mo and put it on my current plan ($30 100 min plan) using the $99 down + $20/mo deal or if that offer will be limited to their new plans?

It says you can do that with a new contract, but iirc there's nothing stopping you from just buying the phone, paying for one month in the $50 plan, and then just cancelling and swapping over to your $30/plan (except the SIM size I guess, don't know how that would work).

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

computer parts posted:

It says you can do that with a new contract, but iirc there's nothing stopping you from just buying the phone, paying for one month in the $50 plan, and then just cancelling and swapping over to your $30/plan (except the SIM size I guess, don't know how that would work).

I would need the installment plan thing, I don't have $500+ lying around. I think that if I canceled the $50 plan I'd have to pay full price for the phone.

Teflon Bob
Feb 2, 2004

Wipes down easy!

the kawaiiest posted:

I would need the installment plan thing, I don't have $500+ lying around. I think that if I canceled the $50 plan I'd have to pay full price for the phone.

I think your phone installment continues, you just won't have a service portion of the bill.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

the kawaiiest posted:

Yes you have to pay for the phone at some point. Either by having your "contract" play out or paying for the rest of your phone (an "ETF"). It also sounds like the iPhone payment plan only works with the new plans and not Monthly4G Prepaid plans ($30 Wal-Mart plan). However, I'm guessing you'll have to wait until April when they start selling iPhones with payment plans to find out.

If you can't purchase an iPhone through T-Mobile on the $30/month plan you can purchase the phone from Apple and see if they will finance you for 12 months. You will pay a little more from Apple but will make up for it in savings from your plan. You still need to wait until April 12th to get an iPhone 5 that supports T-Mobile LTE but getting it from Apple is a possibility.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

the kawaiiest posted:

Not to sound like your mother, but do you really need it opposed to some other, cheaper, also very capable phone, such as the N4? Only asking because you said you can't afford it outright which would suggest money is at least a little tight, and buying a brand new phone on credit/payment doesn't seem smart to me.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Teflon Bob posted:

I think your phone installment continues, you just won't have a service portion of the bill.

Why would TMo subsidize your phone if you aren't using the service that you are paying for, to subsidize the phone? There's most likely an ETF. Just speculating based on how every other cell phone subsidization has worked, but there's probably an ETF if you don't go the length of the contract.

Edit: gariig posted the same thing

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Because t mo, it's effectively giving you a 0% APR loan for the phone if you read the fine print. The phone is now being sold independently of the service, so if you did cancel your service you'd still be getting billed for the phone.

If you look at their other options you will see the same thing, the Nokia 810 ids being sold for 0 down and $15/mo. Selling the phone on loan and the service without a contract is a subtle but important distinction. Given that all their plans are now prepaid, I am not seeing the $30 plan online anymore. I don't know if they're still offering it.

Nevermind, I found the $30 plan.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 27, 2013

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

With T-Mobile's LTE network now live in a few cities, anyone tested if they get LTE service over prepaid?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

johnny sack posted:

Not to sound like your mother, but do you really need it opposed to some other, cheaper, also very capable phone, such as the N4? Only asking because you said you can't afford it outright which would suggest money is at least a little tight, and buying a brand new phone on credit/payment doesn't seem smart to me.

I said I don't have 500 dollars to spare. I'm perfectly capable of making monthly payments on something. My credit is flawless and I would never get into debt that I couldn't pay off. Please don't assume that I'm a dumb irresponsible person because I said I need to buy something in installments. I just have a low income and don't want to touch my savings if I can help it. Monthly payments are manageable for me, a single $575 payment is not.

Also I need the phone for work and to make videos / send photos to my family on the other side of the world. A decent android phone with a good camera is not that much cheaper off contract. If I'm going to spend a few hundred dollars on a phone it might as well be one that I like.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Rabble posted:

Because t mo, it's effectively giving you a 0% APR loan for the phone if you read the fine print. The phone is now being sold independently of the service, so if you did cancel your service you'd still be getting billed for the phone.

Yes except they are packaging the two together.

The only real difference with the TMo model and the normal carrier model is transparency of the pricing structure and when you get to the end (25th month) they stop charging you for the phone. What I've heard but have not confirmed in writing would indicate if you pay $100 down with the $50 plan then cancel the plan they will charge bill you the remaining balance weather or not you sign up for a $30 plan.

Yes the plan is $50 per month + $20 per month for 24 months, but they don't want to just give you a 0% risky loan for $500 without a good reason for doing so. That reason is the $50 per month just like every other carrier.

If you don't have $500 laying around or access to a low APR loan, why are you buying a $700 phone when the N4 is a completely comparable product (short of being bigger) for $299.

• Locked thread