Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Cream_Filling posted:

Maybe they'll downsize the next (or rather next-next) Commodore to ride on it, because otherwise, it looks like it'll transition to FWD/AWD as is rumored (though Commodore rumors are a dime a dozen and probably even GM is not quite sure what to do that far in the future).

The plan for the Commodore is, to my understanding:

1) GM bitches about how expensive it is, how it's a limited market vehicle and how they totally want to shut down the Commodore line,
2) Australian federal/state governments fork over a truckload of money to keep the plant open,
3) A new Commodore arrives!
4) Go back to 1 after six or seven years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the government needs to get behind telecommuting in a big way and offer big incentives to companies to allow it.

I drive 16 miles one way every day to work on servers that are 10 miles away in a different direction. What sense does that make other then some cultural belief that people need to gather in a central location somewhere to work?

This would certainly be more effective at reducing oil consumption than CAFE, where just making a vehicle flex-fuel capable gets you a significant kicker to the CAFE-rated MPG.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
:swoon: Here's the complete CTS :swoon:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Jeez, the front and rear are much more exciting than the middle. I wonder if that's why they got leaked first.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

blk posted:

Oh my...

Ok, I liked the CTS when it first came out, but this may be the first (modern) Caddy I've actually fallen in love with on looks alone. Am I... am I catching the Domestic bug?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

Jeez, the front and rear are much more exciting than the middle. I wonder if that's why they got leaked first.

Eh screw that, I hate excessive character lines. Give me a '67 Continental over a CLS any day.

That CTS is hotasfukk. It's like every redesign, they slowly evolve ever closer to their ultimate form, the Cadillac Sixteen:

And its more modern cousin, the Ciel:

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 26, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

My GF said it looked like an old man's car based on the middle, but I like the minimalism. Black jacket, black tie, half windsor.

I really like how they adjusted the grill and fascia to make the whole car seem lower in the beltline (even if it isn't) than a lot of current sedans. Not really a competitor, but the MKZ screws this up to my eyes - it's bottom half feels too tall, especially forward of the A pillar.

It does have a hell of a lot of buttons on the steering wheel:

All the pics are on Autoblog BTW.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Eh screw that, I hate excessive character lines. Give me a '67 Continental over a CLS any day.

It's not that it's not busy enough for my liking -- it's that the curves look pretty much the same as the Malibu's greenhouse. They took just a bit too much angularity out from the C-pillar, I think.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

It's not that it's not busy enough for my liking -- it's that the curves look pretty much the same as the Malibu's greenhouse. They took just a bit too much angularity out from the C-pillar, I think.

That's a fair point. I see what you mean, now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I don't like big cars, but I would totally buy one of these for my weekend car if they built it and it looked anything like that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cream_Filling posted:

That CTS is hotasfukk. It's like every redesign, they slowly evolve ever closer to their ultimate form, the Cadillac Sixteen:

And its more modern cousin, the Ciel:

Note how these cars have approximately the same amount of sheetmetal above both the front and rear wheels. Now look at the CTS render:

blk posted:

That is one seriously tall rear end end. I wonder what rear visibility is like.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
It's pretty tough to see out of the bell end of the current one, so I can't imagine it'll be much better. I can't see anything parked directly behind me if I'm on a slight incline in mine.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

Note how these cars have approximately the same amount of sheetmetal above both the front and rear wheels. Now look at the CTS render:

I'm pretty sure there's a law against cars without raked beltlines or character lines now. I seriously can't think of more than like 2.

But yeah, it might not look as good IRL when not posed at the exact angle where everything looks level. Though that distance might be exaggerated because it looks like the front fender is lower than the actual top of the hood.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 26, 2013

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax

blk posted:

I see a lot of c-class merc.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Peppi posted:

I see a lot of c-class merc.

I was just going to say, from the middle back the lines look awfully like an S550.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

It would be a huge accomplishment if they managed to make it any worse than the current one.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
That looks really really nice, and I'm a long time hater of Cadillacs. The ATS is nice to drive though so I've got high hopes for this one, because of some dumb online thing they gave me an ATS for 3 days to test out and tweet about, fingers crossed they do the same thing with the CTS.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Saw a C7 Vette yesterday, it was struggling with the pot holes :(. I also saw the new Jeep Liberty and the Alfa SUV driving next to each other near Chrysler HQ today The Alfa is actually kind of good looking...

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
The Buick Regal and GS can be equipped with AWD now. That makes me extremely happy.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

XCPuff posted:

The Buick Regal and GS can be equipped with AWD now. That makes me extremely happy.

The current GS is FWD right? It would be neat if they pulled off AWD.

So will the Grand National and GNX be on alpha like the ATS?
I really hope the Grand National and GNX turn out amazing.
If the Chevy SS isnt going to be coming out with a stick, there is still hope for Buick offering it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cream_Filling posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a law against cars without raked beltlines or character lines now. I seriously can't think of more than like 2.

But yeah, it might not look as good IRL when not posed at the exact angle where everything looks level. Though that distance might be exaggerated because it looks like the front fender is lower than the actual top of the hood.

Coincidentally enough, the CST Coupe is one of the worst cases of this that I've seen:

And this might be a rather generous angle.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

New WRX? Not really a fan of the round exhaust outlets. I guess it doesn't matter how it looks since it will be CVT only :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CVT only would be suicide. that concept seems to share a lot with the advanced tourer concept from 2011.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

mobby_6kl posted:

Coincidentally enough, the CST Coupe is one of the worst cases of this that I've seen:

And this might be a rather generous angle.

Exception that proves the rule :colbert:

I'm okay with super raked beltlines on small coupes and sports cars or whatever - that's what really popularized the look, the greenhouse has to clear the rear wheel wells, and it's not like they're meant to be super practical anyway. I just think they look bad on most sedans and crossovers. But apparently people think that it makes cars looks "fast" and it helps hide some of the fatness so it's slapped onto everything.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

blk posted:

New WRX? Not really a fan of the round exhaust outlets. I guess it doesn't matter how it looks since it will be CVT only :v:

Source? Is this an official rendering, or is it just rendered speculation?

edit: nevermind, looked it up. Apparently these were posted on some French blog but they're rumored to be leaked concept drawings.

See:

If you mentally de-sketchify and productionize it, it looks like it'll be just like past WRXs - a widebody kit on the standard Impreza bodyshell. Maybe with new doors, though it's hard to say. And maybe shorter F/R overhangs, though if it's like past Imprezas, this might just be because the Japanese market bumpers don't stick out as much due to different crash standards.

I mean, it always was weird how Subaru tracked the WRX internally in terms of sales and such, so I think rebranding it makes a lot of sense. But for a while there were wild rumors of new bodystyles or coupe variants (though I suppose neither is really ruled out yet).

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 26, 2013

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

blk posted:

That is one high beltline. Subarus usually have nice big greenhouses, I hope that doesn't change.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

The ATS is nice to drive though so I've got high hopes for this one, because of some dumb online thing they gave me an ATS for 3 days to test out and tweet about

What's your twitter? Or will you write about it here?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Behold the new Cherokee in all its glory:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22FXhfW0Sqo

It's amusing that the rear has the same visual theme as the front.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Tekne posted:

Behold the new Cherokee in all its glory:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22FXhfW0Sqo

It's amusing that the rear has the same visual theme as the front.

I hear exhaust and turbo-y sounds in that video. :3:

e: I wonder if they're going to try to differentiate it from other crossovers and give it some more off-road potential?

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 27, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

There's the rear.

EDIT: And the Escalade

Looks pretty swank.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 27, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

e: I wonder if they're going to try to differentiate it from other crossovers and give it some more off-road potential?

A certain minimal off-road capability is there even in the Patriot and Liberty. They probably worked harder in that respect for a vehicle that ended up carrying the Cherokee badge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

A certain minimal off-road capability is there even in the Patriot and Liberty. They probably worked harder in that respect for a vehicle that ended up carrying the Cherokee badge.

Yeah, Compared to this new piece of poo poo, the current liberty looks like a god drat hummer h1.

My mom has an 08 liberty and it's poorly built all around, but it has decent approach and departure angles, a solid rear axle, an actual transfer case, and the exterior dimensions(apart from height) of a ford focus. I dare say with the 6 speed stick and getting it used for peanuts, it would be a decent little vehicle.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 27, 2013

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

An allpar member had this to say about the Cherokee Trailhawk:

quote:

To clarify, with the end of the embargo drawing closer....some tidbits... The KL drive system has been renamed, it's not a PTO, the official term is PTU As for the air dam, the Trailhawk has a few features it doesn't share with the other models. It sits higher, it has a better approach angle, by nearly 10 degrees, and it has a locking rear differential. That's all you get
Jeep is actually bringing it to the 2013 Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, so we'll see what it can do or can't. That crowd will probably be even more critical of the vehicle than the internet, and it will be interesting to see what they say.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Thinking about hitting up the New York Auto Show this weekend. Any cars really worth the trip for this year?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Thinking about hitting up the New York Auto Show this weekend. Any cars really worth the trip for this year?

What haven't you seen? I thought both the C7 and Viper were gonna be there. Neither were at the Boston show :argh:
My company is trying to branch further into the auto industry, and one of our Detroit folks said he could get me handshake time with Ralph Gilles, but Gilles ended up not being able to go to the NYC show.

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum
New Range Rover Sport.

Bigger in every dimension than its predecessor, but manages to weigh 900 lbs less. They claim 39% weight reduction, that's astounding.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

That looks LOW. Can the suspension raise I'm assuming?

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

angryhampster posted:

That looks LOW. Can the suspension raise I'm assuming?

I'm not sure, but it is the sport. Generally they're the supercharged models meant to be street stormers.

EDIT: as far as i know all RRs have had ride height adjustable suspensions for a while now, so I would say yes.

VanNuys fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 27, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

It's questionable, actually. The whole reason it looks so lumpy is because they're in such a financial crunch that they slashed engineering and design budgets to the point where badge engineering was the only option left. Even then, they've just recently been forced to push back production because they're having trouble finding the money to retool fast enough.

Maybe in a year or two once Fiat's finances stabilize they will come out with a trail rated version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Gatts posted:

There's the rear.

EDIT: And the Escalade

Looks pretty swank.

This just looks great. Wow