Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PipeRifle posted:

Reuben's kinda mean tbh

no hes not hes a sweetie :3:

oc is ballin outta control

rip matt & jerry-cat :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
So God created OC in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
Male and Orange he created him.

God blessed him and said to him, “Bask well and increase in temperature; view the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

God saw the catte he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning — the sixth day.

By the seventh day, OC had killed god; and so on the seventh day he rested in a sunbeam.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Hey guys, I know how we tend to :goon: catte vet bills, so here's to hoping it can work one more time:
please don't do this

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee

hes in love and im in love?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Here's thinking of you, dearly departed cats up on the cloud. Hey, if you're sitting on a cloud the sun is always out and the birds fly up there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think this video amply demonstrates why cats > dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnrCki4Cmzw

Xanthine
Nov 8, 2008

cat gender is a social construct
same

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

It's never a trap.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sebastian loves my coat

Xanthine
Nov 8, 2008

So I don't have a cat of my own yet and I'm wondering what you guys estimate you spend monthly on your cats, including food, pet insurance, litter etc. Obviously medical expenses, toys etc. might make that vary but I'm trying to get a rough estimate of how much I'm looking at per cat once I find full time work again.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Moo has silly meows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySQhwVNZMZ4

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

aww look how happy bubs is :3:

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho

Xanthine posted:

So I don't have a cat of my own yet and I'm wondering what you guys estimate you spend monthly on your cats, including food, pet insurance, litter etc. Obviously medical expenses, toys etc. might make that vary but I'm trying to get a rough estimate of how much I'm looking at per cat once I find full time work again.

all available monies

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

we probably spend $30 a month on food and litter for zoey and teddy, and we give them fancy holistic bullshit food. cats are cheap.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dex and Lulu are expensive because of Dexter's dietary limitations. His perscription food costs me around $100 a month.

Edit: their insurance runs me $65 a month for the both of them.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Xanthine posted:

Something to remember about food is if you get your cats (get two so they entertain each other) is that if it's a quality food like Wellness Core or Blue Buffalo you actually have to feed them less than you would with a lovely brand. I was getting 12 pound bags of Wellness Core Dry for around 37 bucks and depending on the size of the cat it can last awhile due to the quality of the ingredients. Canned is more expensive but it healthier for the cat due to the amount of water in it. Dry food can be easier to manage cost wise and good brands still provide a lot of benefit. You'll just want to make sure they get a lot of water. Adding some to the dry food helps and you should get a fountain like the one from Hagen Catit which goes for less than 20 bucks on Amazon.

Cat litter is less of an issue. Get it in bulk from someplace like Costco and if you have the room get a box for every cat you have. Pet Island probably has some expert opinions on brands but your cat is pooping in it and probably won't care if it's Freshstep or some exotic bioneutral cedar hipster blend.

Medical expenses are the wild card. With good food and lots of fresh water a cat is going to do well. Most vets and adoption centers run specials on annual shots that you should take advantage of. Eggplant Wizard posted a link to a pretty comprehensive review of pet insurances but I misplaced the link. I just recent signed up my two cats for Trupanion on many goon recommendations and on the recommendation of my vet. Pet insurance might seem like a luxury but I really wish I had gotten it sooner since one of mine had to have something she swallowed removed through surgery. Other YOSPOS cats have had bad luck as well so in the end it's really worth the peace of mind.

As far as toys go you're going to spoil them. Just get used to the idea.

Oh one last thing. Kittens are great but keep your mind open about adult cats as well. And it's important to let the cat pick you as much as you pick them.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

dur posted:

we probably spend $30 a month on food and litter for zoey and teddy, and we give them fancy holistic bullshit food. cats are cheap.

yea cats are cheap

also my couch is trashed cuz of leo ($2000 or so) also my leahter jacket ($400) also many other things oh i remember my bed is one also leather trashed that was idk even how much i paid for it

so yeah cheap

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

If you're thinking about getting 7 cats I spend about $130 a month on food & litter, so I wouldn't get 7 cats

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
It's springtime and that means it's time to roll around in the driveway and get dirt all up in your fur.

I left home thinking I had a white cat with tabby markings and came home to a brown one.

Xanthine
Nov 8, 2008

Sniep posted:

yea cats are cheap

also my couch is trashed cuz of leo ($2000 or so) also my leahter jacket ($400) also many other things oh i remember my bed is one also leather trashed that was idk even how much i paid for it

so yeah cheap

i barely have anything of value (yes rule 36 blah) and i'm not into buying furniture that isn't off kijiji so i think i'm good. my ex-roommates' cats managed to avoid destroying my leather jacket, god willing my future cats won't

wait, a leather bed?

Trast posted:

Oh one last thing. Kittens are great but keep your mind open about adult cats as well. And it's important to let the cat pick you as much as you pick them.

I'm getting shelter cats, and I'm probably going to get adult ones.

edit: i'd totally get 7+ cats if i didn't have to worry about medical bills and space

Xanthine fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 27, 2013

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Xanthine posted:

wait, a leather bed?

the headboard is leather, and scratched to hell

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

margaret mitchell and her cat.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Jonny 290 posted:

sebastian loves my coat

i love it when cats do this

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

devmd01 posted:

Pepper you can't come with us you are a catte. TSA won't let you past security with your claws. :ese:

does pepper have short legs dev, or is it just cause of the socks? either way she rules

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Rest in peace good goon cats that were lost this week. :(

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

beatlegs posted:

ahhh warm weather

glad to see OC isn't running from the camera anymore

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

watch as i push my phone into banana's face https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBhag5OCIsw

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ijustam posted:

watch as i push my phone into banana's face https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBhag5OCIsw

lol

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Cross post from pyf

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

ijustam posted:

banana rules

post the other guy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xanthine posted:

one catte:
insurance: $360/year (it went up this year)
vet visit: $100/year
5 lb. bag of innova prime dry food: $18 (not actually sure how long this will last since I changed his feeding, but i'd guess 2-3 months)
1 can of innova wet food every two days: $1.50
litter: $14/bag - good for a month or so (the crystal stuff lasts a long time)
toys: i just buy something cheap every so often
scritches: free
cost of furniture: lmbo. my couch is demolished. i'm going to buy a cover for it, though. which will also get demolished

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

scamtank posted:

banana rules

post the other guy

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
man I wish Pepper snuggled up more, though she does curl up on the foot of the bed every night and snuggles with the wife from time to time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yospos

in the past two months we have seen an explosion in nargle's fuzzy coat

she is now more of a floofball than she ever has been. that gif where the cat gets stuck on he own chest fuzz? she does that now.

do you think....this might be some sort of reaction to help her compete with her notably larger brother? like her "badass" hormone level got bumped up and one of its side effects is to give her a thicker longer coat to appear larger to predators/challengers?

or am i crazy

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

how cold has it been recently

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eh, back and forth. arkansas is weird so we'll have 5-7 days of high 60's but we got flakes this week and the past couple mornings we have had frost. floof level since the consistently-cold dec/jan period is definitely up. thought about climate, i can't pin it on that.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
post floofy nargle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
No recents but this is one of my favorites