System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

While I don't personally find this bad-looking as such, I've witnessed several people complain about having intact heads on their plate.

Just some smoked baltic herring. You don't eat the head but I guess it would be too time-consuming to do them all up one by one before eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

schwenz posted:

Last year I went to a barbecue the Dominicans down the street were having and ended up drinking this stuff with the host.

mamajuana

Which was rum based, this stuff pictured above has a lot more Turtle Penis in it than the kind I had. But yeah. Turtle penis.

Can't imagine that's any kind of legal.

That reminds me of snake wine:

Funnily enough, it tastes like cheap vodka and rotting snake.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Archer666 posted:

Moving on, a fast food restaurant in France ran a promotion for Star Wars Episode 1. While normally that would mean temporary renaming their food to something Star Wars related, these guys decided to go the extra mile:

I have no idea how many they managed to sell, since this looks absolutely disgusting.

Well, seeing as he's eating at a Quick he must be used to shoving poo poo in his mouth.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why did they spell the name wrong? I get the stupid pun on "dark" but I don't understand why they went with "vador". I can't imagine that Lucasfilm would even allow it.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Sagebrush posted:

Why did they spell the name wrong? I get the stupid pun on "dark" but I don't understand why they went with "vador". I can't imagine that Lucasfilm would even allow it.

Because that is how it is spelled in France. "Darth Vader" in french would be pronounced "Dart Vaday".

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sagebrush posted:

It's his French name.

e: beaten

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

While I don't personally find this bad-looking as such, I've witnessed several people complain about having intact heads on their plate.

Just some smoked baltic herring. You don't eat the head but I guess it would be too time-consuming to do them all up one by one before eating.

I'm not a big fan of those things, but they're not really that bad. The truly horrid dish made from baltic herring is of course surströmming - salted & fermented herring.
some choice quotes from wikipedia:
"According to a Japanese study, a newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world"

"In 1981 a German landlord evicted a tenant without notice after the tenant spread surströmming brine in the apartment building's staircase. When the landlord was taken to court, the court ruled that the termination was justified when the landlord's party demonstrated their case by opening a can inside the courtroom. The court concluded that it "had convinced itself that the disgusting smell of the fish brine far exceeded the degree that fellow-tenants in the building could be expected to tolerate.""

"German food critic and author Wolfgang Fassbender wrote that "the biggest challenge when eating surströmming is to vomit only after the first bite, as opposed to before.""

So, yeah, scandinavian cuisine.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Archer666 posted:

Its weird to see how my experiment into pizza fusion managed to inspire someone to write fanfiction about me being the Great Unclean One or some poo poo. Keep at it, bro.(Please dont)

Moving on, a fast food restaurant in France ran a promotion for Star Wars Episode 1. While normally that would mean temporary renaming their food to something Star Wars related, these guys decided to go the extra mile:

I have no idea how many they managed to sell, since this looks absolutely disgusting.

Is that bread or a donut? It looks kind of like one of those good dark German breads or something, but it also kind of looks...cakey? And it's being served at a fast food place...but it IS France so...what is this?

english muffin
Feb 1, 2012
the likes of you and I

Owithey posted:

'The Maple Leaf' Canadian Pub just by Covent Garden serves it.

Unless the food there has improved considerably, I would not recommend eating at the Maple Leaf.

For content - a friend of mine used to swear by cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches, And what IS it with people eating apple pie with cheese??

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

RentCavalier posted:

Is that bread or a donut? It looks kind of like one of those good dark German breads or something, but it also kind of looks...cakey? And it's being served at a fast food place...but it IS France so...what is this?

This might be a bit far-fetched i know, but i'm gonna go with "hamburger bun with food coloring" here

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Archer666 posted:

Its weird to see how my experiment into pizza fusion managed to inspire someone to write fanfiction about me being the Great Unclean One or some poo poo. Keep at it, bro.(Please dont)

I dunno, get rid of that special sauce or whatever, and it looks like a pretty standard double cheeseburger, just with black buns. At the worst, it's just food coloring, or it could be some sort of black bread bun, like pumpernickel or something. Black bread makes for some drat good sandwiches, so it might not be totally awful.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

english muffin posted:

Unless the food there has improved considerably, I would not recommend eating at the Maple Leaf.

For content - a friend of mine used to swear by cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches, And what IS it with people eating apple pie with cheese??

It's an offshoot of pairing cheese with fruit.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

L. Ron Mexico posted:

I'm not a big fan of those things, but they're not really that bad. The truly horrid dish made from baltic herring is of course surströmming - salted & fermented herring.
some choice quotes from wikipedia:
"According to a Japanese study, a newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world"

"In 1981 a German landlord evicted a tenant without notice after the tenant spread surströmming brine in the apartment building's staircase. When the landlord was taken to court, the court ruled that the termination was justified when the landlord's party demonstrated their case by opening a can inside the courtroom. The court concluded that it "had convinced itself that the disgusting smell of the fish brine far exceeded the degree that fellow-tenants in the building could be expected to tolerate.""

"German food critic and author Wolfgang Fassbender wrote that "the biggest challenge when eating surströmming is to vomit only after the first bite, as opposed to before.""

So, yeah, scandinavian cuisine.

Okay, if you want to bring out the big guns,

This is Hákarl. It's make by takeing a greenland or basking shark, cutting it up and letting it hang from rafters for five months or so. This is done because greenland sharks, like many fish adapted to cold weather, have very high levels of urea and ammonia in their flesh that acts as a sort of antifreeze when the animal is alive, but renders them poisonous to humans. Note that this process doesn't get all the amonia out, so the finished product reportedly tastes like cheese soaked in ammonia (there are two veriaties, the solid cubes are from the back of the shark, and transparant gelly looking stuff from the belly ) :coolfish:
This is kiviaq

Sea birds left inside a hollowed out seal for 3-18 months, then eaten raw, bones and all :yum: Eating stuff like this is pretty understandable if you're trying to survive somewhere as harsh as Greenland, but still jesus christ.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Humboldt squid posted:

This is kiviaq

Sea birds left inside a hollowed out seal for 3-18 months, then eaten raw, bones and all :yum: Eating stuff like this is pretty understandable if you're trying to survive somewhere as harsh as Greenland, but still jesus christ.

But how does it taste!?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Well, seeing as he's eating at a Quick he must be used to shoving poo poo in his mouth.

it's not like they serve kapsalon or mitraillette :)

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

DreamingApe posted:

it's not like they serve kapsalon or mitraillette :)

Kapsalon

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
In high school bio we dissected sharks and the smell was really familiar for some reason. I couldn't stop thinking "why do I know the smell of sharks in formaldehyde? What is wrong with me?" And then I remembered that my dad took me to the restaurant in Disney's EPCOT in Norway.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

"Kapsalon is a Dutch food item consisting of fries, topped with döner or shawarma meat, grilled with a layer of Gouda cheese until melted and then subsequently covered with a layer of dressed salad greens."

It might look awful, but that sounds loving delicious.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The white frosting looks like a long twisted neck perched atop a bulbous distended torso. All I can see is this

COME HUG SANTA CHILDREN

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RagingBoner posted:

Because that is how it is spelled in France. "Darth Vader" in french would be pronounced "Dart Vaday".

I know that. I'm surprised that Lucas would let them "dilute the trademark" like that.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

VogeGandire posted:

"Kapsalon is a Dutch food item consisting of fries, topped with döner or shawarma meat, grilled with a layer of Gouda cheese until melted and then subsequently covered with a layer of dressed salad greens."

It might look awful, but that sounds loving delicious.

Kapsalon is pretty much a hoagie wrap but with more gherkins and is therefore healthier than most scottish takeaways.

Cuttlefish Party
Mar 18, 2011

Cuttlefish: GO.
(They've advanced quickly.)

Geektox posted:

Yeah, my first interaction with poutine was the cafeteria at my local ski mountain in Vancouver. Tasted like garbage. When I went to Montreal for school, I (hesitantly) went with some friends to La Banquise, long regarded as the best in the city. It was heavenly. Although I gotta say, I'm a bigger fan of Frite Alors! so check both of them out if any of y'all are in the area.

West coast poutine just can't compete with the East coast originals. :respek:

I tried poutine for the first time last summer at Frite Alors! and I was a bit underwhelmed. The gravy was just too salty for me. Besides that it wasn't too bad, but I think I would have preferred non-soggy fries on their own. I ended up throwing away half of it. (Is that some kind of crime in Canada? Are the Mounties coming for me? :ohdear:)

One thing I eat and enjoy, but is really pretty gross when you think too much about it, is fish sauce. Yum, the liquid that seeps out of putrefying (er, "fermenting") salted fish . . . or maybe just fish guts!

It's way too common to qualify as "weird" of course, but it's one of those things you're better off being vague about when convincing someone to try it.

Um, in Vietnam I had snake wine.

The kind I tried had some sort of bird in it too. Like, the whole bird, feathers and all. :iiam:

Honestly, it tasted pretty much like regular rice wine to me . . . guess my palate lacks the subtlety to appreciate the essence of nature's badassery.

e: found a photo of the stuff I tried:

Caw! Caw!

Cuttlefish Party has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Mar 27, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Francostein posted:

In high school bio we dissected sharks and the smell was really familiar for some reason. I couldn't stop thinking "why do I know the smell of sharks in formaldehyde? What is wrong with me?" And then I remembered that my dad took me to the restaurant in Disney's EPCOT in Norway.

Oh my loving god, my dad did that too. It was years ago, but I'm fairly certain I probably went hungry because there was just nothing there that I would even entertain the concept of eating. He was in the Navy, so he had already tried his fair share of bizarre foods from around the world.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So I have absolutely no idea what these things even are but here's some super gross looking food:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Francostein posted:

Its in Island that they eats rotten shark.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

In Norway fish head is a motherfucking delicacy:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Alhazred posted:

Its in Island that they eats rotten shark.

I don't know what they all smell like but I can imagine rotten shark, lutefisk et al all having at a somewhat similar smell. Being rotten fish and all.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

RentCavalier posted:

I live in France and tried all the varieties when they were announced, I saw the Ad on a Bus Stop I just couldn't believe that poo poo, it took me a few days before the curiosity got the better of me. There were two more, but only one was coloured was any curious looking -

Evil Dark Tomato ---------------------------------------------- OH GOD THE CHEESE SO MUCH CHEESE

Here's a better look at the top, where you can see it's basically just a coloured toasted bun.

Quick is alarmingly popular out here, the places are frequently busier than the McDonals but everything I've there in the past 7 years has been absolute poo poo. The bread always feels stale rather than toasted, and the majority of the time the sauce overpowers the insanely thin patties. It's bearable. I'd honestly recommend to try once if you're passing one for some reason. Their Fries are pretty good, and they tend to serve some rpetty good sides like jalapeno poppers, cheesesticks etc. As far as I know they're Belgian - And the kicker is that we dont even have Burger King in France because they failed to succeed unlike Quick and McDonalds

:negative:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Overminty posted:

I don't know what they all smell like but I can imagine rotten shark, lutefisk et al all having at a somewhat similar smell. Being rotten fish and all.

Lutefisk actually doesn't smell that bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

You take this back, Mister. This delicious tripe soup helped me survive the time I studied in England, surrounded by horrible pre-fabricated pastries and faux-Asian dishes. This and smoked, fried and pickled herring, another staple of Western Slavic cuisine:

Looks like soggy garbage, tastes like savoury heaven.

Also, blood products are delicious, if you can get over the concept:

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Lutefisk actually doesn't smell that bad.

The smell of lutefisk cooking is amongst the foulest of all scents.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Overminty posted:

Lutefisk isn't really rotten fish, though. It's just dried fish that's also treated and soaked with lye and water.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

ulvir posted:

Lutefisk isn't really rotten fish, though. It's just dried fish that's also treated and soaked with lye and water.

Ok so they're both quite alkaline. I guess what I really wanted to say was I'm not at all surprised at the possibility there was a similarity between the shark Francostein was dissecting and the food being served in a Norwegian themed restaurant.

Tiamat
Jul 25, 2008

yer a wizard, harry

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh my loving god, my dad did that too. It was years ago, but I'm fairly certain I probably went hungry because there was just nothing there that I would even entertain the concept of eating. He was in the Navy, so he had already tried his fair share of bizarre foods from around the world.

So interestingly the EPCOT Norway restaurant was the first time I tried this delicious beauty:

Gjetost. Basically caramel-flavored, sweet cheese. It's delicious! Not every food that comes from Scandinavia is fermented, rotting fish!

...Not that it really belongs in this thread, unless brown cheese puts you off your feed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tiamat posted:

So interestingly the EPCOT Norway restaurant was the first time I tried this delicious beauty:

Gjetost. Basically caramel-flavored, sweet cheese. It's delicious! Not every food that comes from Scandinavia is fermented, rotting fish!

...Not that it really belongs in this thread, unless brown cheese puts you off your feed.

Waffle and brunost is goddamn delicious:

But I think you're seriously underestimating the amount of horrible fish we eat in Norway:

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

The hairbrush and Old Spice juxtaposed against the disgusting plate of food makes me think of Masaokis, the notorious French-Canadian Youtube cook. I think I even remember a video where he put deodorant shavings into the dish he was making.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

english muffin posted:

Before I moved I used to frequent a cafe that did brie, turkey, and raspberry preserves grilled cheese sandwiches on sourdough. They were heavenly.

I know this is going to cause controversy, but I have never come across a piece of fried chicken I could stomach. crispy skin? fine. Slippery layer of subcutaneous bits and pieces and dripping grease right under the skin? :barf:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

You take this back, Mister. This delicious tripe soup helped me survive the time I studied in England, surrounded by horrible pre-fabricated pastries and faux-Asian dishes.

Well - I certainly recommend everybody to try it, as it's indeed delicious (something alike to spicier version of chicken soup), however looking at the unrecognizable bits might not be advisable. I'm treating this thread at this point as "delicious food made from weird things just to mess with foreigners".

Other things from Poland that make people raise their eyebrows:

Pig kidneys - definitely an unique taste; the ones I've used to eat as a kid didn't taste much of urine, but more similar to hearts and had similar, firm texture.

Headcheese - in Poland it's generally treated as either delicacy, or "all the bits that are leftover from making sausages shouldn't go to waste, let's made something from it"

Lard - we just spread it on the bread. I quite enjoy it with chopped garlic, or some sour ghurkin.

Żurek - a soup made from soured flour extract served with egg and sausage.

EDIT: added some description

canis minor has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Mar 28, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ulvir posted:

It's just dried fish that's also treated and soaked with lye and water.

Overminty posted:

Ok so they're both quite alkaline.

Definitely alkaline, and because they are made with cold-water arctic fish, it's quite fatty as well. What else is made of lye and fat?

quote:

It is important not to incubate the fish too long in the lye, because saponification of the fish fats may occur, effectively rendering the fish fats into soap. The term for such spoiled fish in Finnish is saippuakala (soap fish).

:yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
What the hell is with Finnish people. There was an exchange student from Finland I was in university with who gave me candy called salmiakki, it was a hard candy that tasted like black licorice full of the saltiest salt ever, then I found out it was ammonium chloride. She definitely had fun offering it around to all us unsuspecting folks and watching as the salty centre made itself known.

54 40 or fuck has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Mar 28, 2013

• Locked thread