Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FRINGE posted:

Its all I've ever done because I am a bad person or whatever
You're not a bad person for using it, Next is a bad system for requiring a placemat while simultaneously not supporting it and/or requiring ToTM while simultaneously not supporting it, depending on your point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Splicer posted:

You're not a bad person for using it, Next is a bad system for requiring a placemat while simultaneously not supporting it and/or requiring ToTM while simultaneously not supporting it, depending on your point of view.
All I know about Next so far is from this thread(s). I know there were people who liked miniatures so I figured I would point out the kickstarter. :shrug:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

In my group we arrange the terrain and the miniatures on the table when the battle starts, and then throw a bed sheet over them.

It's a metaphor.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

FRINGE posted:

I know there were people who liked miniatures so I figured I would point out the kickstarter.

It does look interesting. I was thinking about making some of that style of terrain, but then I got to thinking that it'd probably mean that every dungeon/fight/whatever becomes a variation on the bits you've made. "Oh, it's another large room with a fountain in one wall". Even if not that extreme, I think it'd end up locking you into the mindset of 'every map is a stonework dungeon' in a way that a totally abstract layout on a mat doesn't.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Thank god Drow are getting back Know Alignment as a spell-like ability.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Why would they even evolve that? Wouldn't it constantly read "chaotic rear end in a top hat" everywhere in Drowtown?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

moths posted:

Why would they even evolve that? Wouldn't it constantly read "chaotic rear end in a top hat" everywhere in Drowtown?

Maybe Drow have a long history of having "That Guy" ala Drizzt who just constantly talks about morals and justice and poo poo instead of enjoying the spider queen orgies, and that trait evolved to help them weed those jerks out.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Countblanc posted:

Maybe Drow have a long history of having "That Guy" ala Drizzt who just constantly talks about morals and justice and poo poo instead of enjoying the spider queen orgies, and that trait evolved to help them weed those jerks out.

It is just passive aggressive enough to be the reason.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
In my milieu, Drow carry around alignment memes on posters and taunt opponents by pointing to the square that matches their alignment.

Keith Bearjumper
May 17, 2010
They were bestowed with that ability by Lloth because something something?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

anyone know if any of the big chain grocery stores would stock gyoza skins? cooking with dog has given me some ideas but i cant make them without gyoza skin - and I am too lazy to even try and make them from scratch.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

If you think about it, while I can't explain where the ability comes from, it would explain why all Drow are assholes.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Maybe they've been around Chaotic Evil people for so long that when they meet someone else they're just like "whoa this dude's a weirdo"

I AM THE MOON posted:

anyone know if any of the big chain grocery stores would stock gyoza skins? cooking with dog has given me some ideas but i cant make them without gyoza skin - and I am too lazy to even try and make them from scratch.

I think I saw some at Whole Foods the other day, I'd need to check again though.

Dec 26, 2012

moths posted:

To weed out intruders using disguise spells or racial abilities maybe? I'm not sure, it's a strange decision.

Keith Bearjumper
May 17, 2010
Are people lining up to infiltrate drow cities? Any time I've ever been in an adventure where part of it involved infiltration it has been a gigantic pile of spiderly flavored death. Faking your way past a bunch of crazily powerful elves was already a poo poo sandwich before handing out Know Alignment.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Keith Bearjumper posted:

Are people lining up to infiltrate drow cities? Any time I've ever been in an adventure where part of it involved infiltration it has been a gigantic pile of spiderly flavored death. Faking your way past a bunch of crazily powerful elves was already a poo poo sandwich before handing out Know Alignment.

Given the usual temperments of a party I'm pretty certain even with Know Alignment your party will be welcomed with open arms as one of the fmaily.

Dec 26, 2012

Keith Bearjumper posted:

Rolling with that idea, it'd be more so other NPC groups, like svirfneblin or illithids, who are usually loaded up on magic or not-magic such as psionics. I assume they're eventually including some kind of nondetection-like spell (because as usual, there's a spell for that) to negate that anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point.

Barudak posted:

Given the usual temperments of a party I'm pretty certain even with Know Alignment your party will be welcomed with open arms as one of the fmaily.

Bear in mind that "one of the family" is synonymous with "ripe for murder" unless they've changed drow significantly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

01011001 posted:

Bear in mind that "one of the family" is synonymous with "ripe for murder" unless they've changed drow significantly.

Given the average party that's down right hospitable.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
If that ability means that Drizzt is murdered at age 6 and Salvatore has to stop writing about him I'll buy every Next thing.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Razorwired posted:

If that ability means that Drizzt is murdered at age 6 and Salvatore has to stop writing about him I'll buy every Next thing.

"We're proud to present the D&D Next Iconic Characters Supplements, featuring all-new and exclusive racial features, class features, and feats to help you play the characters you know and love! Our first booklet brings Drizzt Do'Urden to life like never before, complete with tales of how he survives his childhood despite the ever vigilant eyes of the Mother Matrons written by R.A. Salvatore himself!"

They also throw in a recipe for black bread, referring to it as a staple food of the underprivileged in Menzoberranzan.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I'm really hoping the bestiary is a huge work in progress, the current one is just pretty much terrible ( just as an example both dragons are pretty much exactly the same, they don't have all the neat differentiating abilities or well different monster types in general that 4E had to make them all unique).

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

I AM THE MOON posted:

THey carry them around here stock, although if I want to buy a lot of them I will go to one of the Japanese markets.

Tonight's supper, homemade crust smeared with garlic, oil, and hot sauce. BBQ sauce topped with bacon, onions, and chicken. Colby and mozz. cheeses.

Since I always have leftover crust, I usually use it for bread sticks, braids, cheese bread, cinnamon bread, whatever. This time the two year old got her first pizza all for her:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

whydirt posted:

Thank god Drow are getting back Know Alignment as a spell-like ability.

I don't remember them ever having that in the first place. They had darkness, faerie fire, and levitate.

Razorwired posted:

:frogout:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

I AM THE MOON posted:

Gyoza dough is really easy, though. Like, the hardest part is waiting an hour while it sits in the fridge.

Put flour in a bowl. Put some oil and salt in there, and some cooking starch to help bind crap together. Start mixing it with your hand, and while you do that add hot water until you get the consistency you want. Cover the bowl and let it sit in your fridge for an hour, then roll it out into a tube and cut as thick as you want.

Proportions depend on how many gyoza you're gonna make and how thick you want to cut the dough. The cool part is that if you're not getting enough while you're mixing, just dump more of your supplies in there and keep going.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I AM THE MOON posted:

cooking with dog

This... this is a typo, right? :ohdear:

e: Oh thank god.

moths fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 28, 2013

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

moths posted:

This... this is a typo, right? :ohdear:

I'm assuming he means this.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That pizza looks loving amazing, Winson. drat, now I want pizza.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Someone on another board has noticed - caster supremacy at high levels is back with a vengeance. Wizards now get a scaling bonus to their spell save DCs. At 20th level, with a 20 Int, their save DC is 20.

Right now, saving throws are straight stat checks. A cleric with 20 wisdom can only save on a 15+ with a Wisdom save.

That's not all, though - on account of WotC's decision to have saves vs. every stat, odds are there is at least one save they will make only on a 20.

Hooray for god-wizards, eh?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Desty posted:

Gyoza dough is really easy, though. Like, the hardest part is waiting an hour while it sits in the fridge.

Put flour in a bowl. Put some oil and salt in there, and some cooking starch to help bind crap together. Start mixing it with your hand, and while you do that add hot water until you get the consistency you want. Cover the bowl and let it sit in your fridge for an hour, then roll it out into a tube and cut as thick as you want.

Proportions depend on how many gyoza you're gonna make and how thick you want to cut the dough. The cool part is that if you're not getting enough while you're mixing, just dump more of your supplies in there and keep going.

I was going to make a comment that it was a pain to make and impossible to get thin enough before I remembered I make my own egg and lasagna noodles now so more is the fool me. Still, I make them infrequently and the skins are SO HANDY if you want something quick and keep forever so I usually just buy them.

Kai Tave posted:

That pizza looks loving amazing, Winson. drat, now I want pizza.

It came out really well, I have my pizza tech down now I think. In a perfect world I would let the crust rise longer, but sometimes I want pizza in an hour or two.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Desty posted:

yes but thats like four steps more than i want. also the water in my apartment is not safe to use without filtering it -- so lots of hot water is kind of a bitch.

ill check WAL*MART or something, when i get the chance. I will post a trip report if i can make some.

edit i meant to say lots of hot water is already kind of a bitch, so having more, and keeping it hot while i need it, is even more of a bitch op

I AM THE MOON fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 28, 2013

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Winson_Paine posted:

It came out really well, I have my pizza tech down now I think. In a perfect world I would let the crust rise longer, but sometimes I want pizza in an hour or two.

I am a fan of pizzas that do a bbq sauce instead of the traditional tomato. I also enjoy hot sauce on pizza though. A chicken pizza with hot sauce and blue cheese crumbles is a thing of beauty.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ulta posted:

I am a fan of pizzas that do a bbq sauce instead of the traditional tomato. I also enjoy hot sauce on pizza though. A chicken pizza with hot sauce and blue cheese crumbles is a thing of beauty.

I've been using smoky BBQ sauce on some home made pizzas, and found it goes surprisingly well with stuff like sausage and artichoke hearts. The trick is not using too much or diluting it down somehow.

Hot sauce and blue cheese works? Holy hell, that's going be my new favorite thing. I don't like chicken much, so I'll probably try it with chorizo.

In other news, I'm seriously thinking about building a pizza oven, but I hear they're giant pains in the arse.

Dec 26, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Hot sauce and blue cheese works? Holy hell, that's going be my new favorite thing.

The dining hall at my college used to secretly wheel out the hot sauce base pizza with bleu mixed in with normal and chicken pieces interspersed during late dining hours. Normally they wouldn't tell anyone, but if you knew what was up they'd hook you up. It was probably the best thing they served.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

AlphaDog posted:

I've been using smoky BBQ sauce on some home made pizzas, and found it goes surprisingly well with stuff like sausage and artichoke hearts. The trick is not using too much or diluting it down somehow.

Hot sauce and blue cheese works? Holy hell, that's going be my new favorite thing. I don't like chicken much, so I'll probably try it with chorizo.

In other news, I'm seriously thinking about building a pizza oven, but I hear they're giant pains in the arse.

Hot sauce and blue cheese is a classic combo, there is a place where we eat that does buffalo bleu cheese fries and goddamn I would kill a man for those.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Winson_Paine posted:

Every single time we try to make home-made pizza we overdo the cheese and sauce and end up with a giant pile of soggy tomatoey cheesedough :sigh:

I AM THE MOON posted:

also the water in my apartment is not safe to use without filtering it -- so lots of hot water is kind of a bitch.
Buy an electric kettle. Water goes in, press button, you'll have two litres of hot water before you've finished setting out the ingredients.

Vhex
Mar 30, 2011

"Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you, and you may call me V."
I second the idea for an electric kettle. It's useful for tons of different things. I think we use ours every day. It's also really useful when you're sick and just need steam or want to do the occasional hot towel for your face and pretend you're rich.

For pizza, the trick to getting the sauce right is to have the right pan. I have a round pan that I use on the kitchen counter (if you don't have a stone/marble counter then put the pan on a cutting board). The pan should have no handle and round baking sheets will work well for this. Put the pan on the counter, put the dough on the pan (already rounded). Make sure the pan can spin. Start with a quarter to a half a cup of sauce depending on how much sauce you like and how thick the sauce is and put that in the middle of the pan. Spin the pan in circles as you lower your spreading utensil (I use a flat spatula) onto the sauce. The sauce will spread toward the edges naturally as you gently push down on it. If the sauce is thin, use a slow spin, if it's thick then use a fast spin. Spread to about 1" to 1/2" from the edge of the crust. If you find you didn't put enough sauce in, start from the middle and work your way out again. The sauce will be evenly spread and it's very quick.

I think I also have a recipe for Drow around here somewhere.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I bought an electric kettle after I forgot to take a pot of boiling water off the stove. Sometimes it takes a ruined pot to tell you that you need to just buy a drat electric kettle already.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

On that topic, can anyone recommend a good brand of electric kettle? My wife and I have been through 3 so far, and the interior always rusts no matter how well we dry it out. Thus far we've tried Black and Decker and GE, both of which lasted less than 2 months (we drink a lot of tea).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spoilers Below posted:

On that topic, can anyone recommend a good brand of electric kettle? My wife and I have been through 3 so far, and the interior always rusts no matter how well we dry it out. Thus far we've tried Black and Decker and GE, both of which lasted less than 2 months (we drink a lot of tea).
Go cheap and think of them as disposable, would be my recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Spoilers Below posted:

This Cuisinart kettle has served my house well for years. Worst thing that's happened to it is the occasional case of scaling.

Ratoslov fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 28, 2013

• Locked thread