Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegatusP
Jan 4, 2013

Super Dude posted:

What keyboard is that?

Razer Deathstalker, not the Ultimate model though (which is something like $300)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

optik posted:

Crappy phone pic but I couldn't be bothered to get the camera out.

Is this an Ikea desk? That's available now?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ziploc posted:

Is this an Ikea desk? That's available now?

Galant with extensions.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Yes, I have cheap, lovely TN panels. Because I mostly care about screen real estate, and I can get two of them for less than the cost of one IPS display.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 14, 2013

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My couch is bigger than I thought it would be, so I just hooked the computer up to my plasma TV.

behind the TV: Full ATX case

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

jebeebus posted:

Temporary setup until I sell my iMac and replace with a PC.

Turns out we built the same desk.

I just picked up the Dell U2412M. Now I wish I had the space for two more!

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012
So, I upgraded the monitor set-up on my computer, as well as the graphics card today. Ended up with this after a trip to Microcenter & a few hours of cleaning and work.

(Pardon the crummy cell phone photographs, was in a bit of a hurry.)

Having 3x1400p amount of desktop workspace is pretty fantastic. I tend to spread out a lot and like to have many, many things open while working, so this is a godsend.

The 3 displays are the Auria 27" IPS from Microcenter, all of which appear to be pixel perfect out of the box. Really fantastic monitors, even with out-of-the-box calibration levels, which I plan on adjusting later this evening. One complaint, although this was kind of a given going in, but the stands are awful. Go figure.

That leads me to my point in posting this, since a lot of you guys seem to be keen on adjustable arms, like some of those Ergotron models and some of you own my same desk (Glass top Ikea Galant). Would I feasibly be able to attach separate arms to the monitors and align each mount somewhere along the desk? I honestly have no idea what kind of weight/stress this kind of glass top can comfortably take & when I should start to be concerned. Would appreciate any/all input on this.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Deskchat:

I've posted it before, but this is 8' x 4' and cost me (I think) about £120 ($180). It's an Ikea Galant frame with two extensions, and then the surface I cut from a discarded sheet of plywood. Came out pretty well, though were I to do it again I think I'd use something harder-wearing than varnish.

(The reason I used an Ikea frame rather than build one myself is that a) I wanted it to be adjustable and b) I'm in an apartment, so this way when I move I'll be able to dismantle the frame and just get a new sheet of plywood at the other end)

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 27, 2013

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
How much work was it to attach the frame to the top. The original top of mine was easy to attach, i'm guessing the custom top was a bit more involved. Looks really good, love the lack of seems.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

It was surprisingly easy - I just dropped the cut & varnished sheet on top of the assembled frame, aligned it, then drove 16mm wood screws in where the bolts would usually go.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

coffeetable posted:

It was surprisingly easy - I just dropped the cut & varnished sheet on top of the assembled frame, aligned it, then drove 16mm wood screws in where the bolts would usually go.

Oh nice.. that is pretty simple. I was thinking there would have been some pre-drilling and such involved.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

coffeetable posted:

Deskchat:

I've posted it before, but this is 8' x 4' and cost me (I think) about £120 ($180). It's an Ikea Galant frame with two extensions, and then the surface I cut from a discarded sheet of plywood. Came out pretty well, though were I to do it again I think I'd use something harder-wearing than varnish.

(The reason I used an Ikea frame rather than build one myself is that a) I wanted it to be adjustable and b) I'm in an apartment, so this way when I move I'll be able to dismantle the frame and just get a new sheet of plywood at the other end)

drat man, that looks almost EXACTLY like what I want
What thickness and kind of plywood did you use? And how deep did you make that cut-in towards the monitors - about a foot off?
You just gave me great and wonderful ideas hahah. Now to find the frame and extensions on Ikea's site for the next time I'm near one...

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

It was a 2440x1220x18mm (8'x4'x3/4" roughly) sheet of pine plywood, but I'm not sure what grade. Probably low, seeing as it came from the local amateur dramatic's society last set. It took a couple of passes with a sander before I got a surface I was happy to varnish.

The cutout is ~400mm (1' 4") in and stops ~800mm (2' 8") from the end. Unfortunately the far corner (where the books are) is out of comfortable reach when sitting, but any deeper and you'd begin to lose useful area in the main section of the desk.

Also, for some reason the individual frames without tops aren't listed on the Ikea website. When you go in though you should be able to order them individually (assuming they use the same system where you are as they do the UK). There should be a lil' A4 booklet on the Galant in the showroom listing the pieces you need. I ended up with x6 A legs, the ~6' main frame and x2 ~2' extensions, one to bring the length up to 8' and the other to support the corner.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 27, 2013

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

niss posted:

How much work was it to attach the frame to the top. The original top of mine was easy to attach, i'm guessing the custom top was a bit more involved. Looks really good, love the lack of seems.

coffeetable posted:

That works but, if you want something a tad more involved but longer lasting, I did this with my desk but I used insert nuts on mine so they come off quickly and wont strip easily long term. I also did a two piece top for easy assembly and movement(a full width main desk and a separate extension).

The cool thing with rolling your own top is you can tweak things like the width and depth, and it isn't that involved at all for the most part.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Juriko posted:

That works but, if you want something a tad more involved but longer lasting, I did this with my desk but I used insert nuts on mine so they come off quickly and wont strip easily long term. I also did a two piece top for easy assembly and movement(a full width main desk and a separate extension).

The cool thing with rolling your own top is you can tweak things like the width and depth, and it isn't that involved at all for the most part.

I want to see more of your home :allears:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pweller posted:

I want to be inside your house :unsmigghh:

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Pweller posted:

My home right now is kinda cramped and lame. I have an apartment in the lower half of what is a converted split level. I moved here years back, and while I dislike the apartment I love the location and the fact I have a decent private yard in the middle of a city. After having moved like 6 times in a 3 year period I just totally nested. Oddly my college apartment was pretty nice but in a junky building and a junky neighborhood. You can do a lot with a bit of creativity and effort. Art school wasn't totally useless!

My desk is my baby though. When you spend enough time at a single space you tend to get obsessive.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

coffeetable posted:

It was a 2440x1220x18mm (8'x4'x3/4" roughly) sheet of pine plywood, but I'm not sure what grade. Probably low, seeing as it came from the local amateur dramatic's society last set. It took a couple of passes with a sander before I got a surface I was happy to varnish.

The cutout is ~400mm (1' 4") in and stops ~800mm (2' 8") from the end. Unfortunately the far corner (where the books are) is out of comfortable reach when sitting, but any deeper and you'd begin to lose useful area in the main section of the desk.

Also, for some reason the individual frames without tops aren't listed on the Ikea website. When you go in though you should be able to order them individually (assuming they use the same system where you are as they do the UK). There should be a lil' A4 booklet on the Galant in the showroom listing the pieces you need. I ended up with x6 A legs, the ~6' main frame and x2 ~2' extensions, one to bring the length up to 8' and the other to support the corner.

Thanks a ton for the extra info. If I could bug you for one more thing, where-abouts did you attach the legs? I can see the one pair, I assume there is a pair near the right-hand side, but where did the other two end up? In the middle/by the corner? Even a really crappy, low-res MSpaint would be awesome.

Since my brother lives right near the ikea, I'm making him go get this stuff and I'll pick it up next time I'm there. Or maybe I'll just go...but then I buy too much Ikea stuff hahah.

Now to figure out what colour I want...

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Siochain posted:

Thanks a ton for the extra info. If I could bug you for one more thing, where-abouts did you attach the legs? I can see the one pair, I assume there is a pair near the right-hand side, but where did the other two end up? In the middle/by the corner? Even a really crappy, low-res MSpaint would be awesome.

They're in the far corner where you'd usually put the legs if there wasn't a pokey-outy bit. You can see one of the two by the hoover under the desk.

I remember reason c) that I went with an Ikea frame now rather than building my own: because this way I can sweep my legs through an 8ft span without smashing my knees on anything.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I suppose I'll crosspost my dining/music/general purpose room from the NMD Vinyl thread since my bedroom still doesn't have a proper desk in it (and won't for a while) and the dining room table is where I do the bulk of my work and gooning these days. In the pictures, my computer screen is looking at the full mitochondrial genome sequence of a species of mantis shrimp on NCBI- which is seriously what I'm working on right now.

:science: SCIENCE! :science:

quote:

Is posting your :krad: setup still the cool thing to do in this thread?

My roomie and I are still in the process of putting up art and curtains all over the new apartment, but the dining/music/reading room is ready enough and the ladder was handy, so I snapped a few pics. It's not quite there yet- hopefully the mess will be gone by week's end. We've really put a lot of work into the place over the last 3 weeks. The blue on the walls used to be a gross hospital pink/beige.

The plan with the armchair/side table is to turn that spot into a little reading/listening nook complete with fancy headphones in the near future. There are actually about a good ~4 feet between them and the dining table, so the space isn't nearly as cramped as the angle in the photo makes it look.

The Expedit "credenza" has a good portion of my vinyl in it, but a fair amount's boxed up in my bedroom. To be honest, I still don't know where I'm going to put it.

Click for big:

As far as equipment:

Table: Vector Research VT-250. I plan to replace it with a lime green Debut Carbon in the spring.

Receiver: Nakamichi Receiver-2. I love the hell out of this thing, but I've got this Yamaha CR-2040 with double the WPC waiting to take its place once I finish cleaning it up and slap some new veneer on it. Hopefully it'll look something like this when I'm done fixing it. I'm gonna put the Nak in my bedroom eventually.

Speakers: Technics SB-K14 and Bose 201 Series IV. Altogether, they cost me $16. Both pairs are pretty crappy on their own, but together they make a halfway decent stereo setup since the Technics have no real midrange to speak of and the Bose are basically nothing but midrange. They're also on my 'Replace' list for summer but I've got no idea what I'll put in their stead yet.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh man my custom desk arrived at the local place this weekend, gonna take them another couple of weeks to stain. Hurry up. :argh:

Theonlydk
Jul 29, 2003
The only Dk here!

Two Ikea desks put together and a whole lot of electronic junk.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

Old and busted:

New hotness:

not living like poo poo:

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Looks nice.. love the red glow behind the desk

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!

Theonlydk posted:

Two Ikea desks put together and a whole lot of electronic junk.

Which desks are those? I'm hopefully moving into a new place May 1st and looking for a good desk, I'm running 3 24" monitors, probably picking up a monitor arm.

devmd01 posted:

New hotness:

not living like poo poo:

Nice setup, have to ask, what kind of desk?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

MasterOfDemons posted:

I think the thread title should be changed to 'just go look at an Ikea Galant first'.

Having said that, I just got a corner one with an extension on each end. And chrome A-legs. :feelsgood:

Can't wait to build it. Are A-lets actually worst than T-legs?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ziploc posted:

I think the thread title should be changed to 'just go look at an Ikea Galant first'.

Having said that, I just got a corner one with an extension on each end. And chrome A-legs. :feelsgood:

Can't wait to build it. Are A-lets actually worst than T-legs?

As long as they don't get in the way, I prefer A-legs. I think the big complaint was having to adjust two legs instead of one or something, but I screwed mine in as-is from the factory and it's been fine so whatevs.

EDIT: The galant is bitching. Tons of space, stiff enough, simple functional legs, a few customization options if you're into that, on top of being priced right. Finally, I'm a crafty consumer! :zoid:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Delta-Wye posted:

As long as they don't get in the way, I prefer A-legs. I think the big complaint was having to adjust two legs instead of one or something, but I screwed mine in as-is from the factory and it's been fine so whatevs.

If you're constantly adjusting the legs of your desk you should get something like the Geek Desk anyway.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I liked the look with T-legs and they are good if you need to put it against the wall. Ether legs will be sturdy enough to stand on.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Bucket Joneses posted:

If you're constantly adjusting the legs of your desk you should get something like the Geek Desk anyway.

One day I will buy one of these drat things. And some butcher block top from Ikea. Until then, my ghetto table-with-new-4x4-legs will have to do.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MasterOfDemons posted:

Custom order from a local place. Don't recall what manufacturer catalog we picked everything out of, sorry.

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!

devmd01 posted:

Custom order from a local place. Don't recall what manufacturer catalog we picked everything out of, sorry.

Nice man. I need to find someplace similar, only crap around the area of nj I'm in is target, staples etc. probably gonna end up at ikea. Haha

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Here's a slightly older one of mine...

Mac + PC running synergy to share a keyboard/mouse. Sitting on an overly expensive, uncomfortable, unconfigurable desk from some designer in Italy.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Basic student apartment I guess.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
Cleaned my work desk today, Meh.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I built a whiteboard desk.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MancXVI posted:

But...you drew a coffee square, and your cup is round!

(I think this is an awesome idea, btw!)

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

MancXVI posted:

Did you use a shower board or paint?

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Here's my current setup with absolutely shameful cable management (I used one velcro cable tie and said gently caress it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

compton rear end terry posted:

Did you use a shower board or paint?

I used a board.