Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

I do have one of her before popping out the egg, it's like 10 minutes long and it's just her trying to become one with the shavings. I'm uploading it now. 'll get one of her cackling like a maniac tomorrow or the day after, whenever she decides to lay :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO8J1RXf3iM

I had wondered what the hell the stuff all over her back was in the first video! I thought it has something to do with her bandages.

LOL! She's hilarious, trying to hide under the shavings. :D I wonder if she'd like it if you put an old towel or t-shirt over her cage.

If you video her tomorrow, try to capture some of the behavior she did after laying the egg (where she was arranging the pine shavings), along with her Egg Song. I hope that you told her she was a good girl after she laid her egg. :)

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Chido posted:

I do have one of her before popping out the egg, it's like 10 minutes long and it's just her trying to become one with the shavings. I'm uploading it now. 'll get one of her cackling like a maniac tomorrow or the day after, whenever she decides to lay :).

Edit: there we go! it's 5 mins long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO8J1RXf3iM

I don't know about you, but I certainly can't see any chickens in that video!

Only one of our two (Kali) likes to cover herself in hay. Oddly, she's the one that doesn't care much for sitting on her eggs afterwards or doing much other preparation beforehand. Her sister, Alecto, will stand by the nesting box waiting for Kali to finish, and then go in and sit on her egg for her. :)

I like VS's glowing incubator. Not only will it hatch basilisks, it will hatch glowing basilisks! I think there's a definite demand in the market for them.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Speaking of broodies, Zipper, the Red Star from last year's Chickam, is kinda-sorta-thinkin-about-it broody. She's been sitting in the same nest box (the most popular one) for the last two days and every time I check she's got quite the egg collection going. She doesn't fluff up or growl yet, and I think she's too young to be a reliable mama...but time will tell!

I have 5 red stars and they've never-ever even offered to go broody! I kinda wish at least one of them would!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Pictures...? And is it the one in the middle in their 3 week old photo?

Yes thats the one. Now the comb protrudes more and has little "fingers" sticking up higher, if that makes sense. She's also light grey as compared to the really dark grey of the other two.

Oh well. I guess I will probably get to see if my neighbors go batshit about a rooster or if I will first.

If we have to replace her after finding her a home how do you raise a solitary chick? Same as raising 3? It seems like it would get lonely and have issue.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes thats the one. Now the comb protrudes more and has little "fingers" sticking up higher, if that makes sense. She's also light grey as compared to the really dark grey of the other two.

Oh well. I guess I will probably get to see if my neighbors go batshit about a rooster or if I will first.

If we have to replace her after finding her a home how do you raise a solitary chick? Same as raising 3? It seems like it would get lonely and have issue.

If you get another baby chick after the others are adults (or close to it), then yes, a solitary chick will glom onto YOU as it's flock and scream bloody murder each and every time you get more than a few feet away--just ask Chido! It will do this night and day and drive you insane. A small stuffed animal (not the fuzzy type so the chick doesn't ingest crop-blocking fuzz) and a small mirror placed with the chick can help, but the flock instinct is strong and being alone does stress the chick. On the plus side, it will grow into a bird that loves YOU very much.

What I did last year was to get additional baby chicks while my first group was about 3-4 weeks old, and partition off the brooder box with wire--they could see and hear each other and hang out, but the older ones couldn't stomp the babies. After two weeks when the new kids were big and strong enough to deal with it, I removed the partition and everyone ran together.

Your other option is to get two baby chicks instead of one so they have company, even then they may holler for you (again, see Chido's videos). :keke:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

If you get another baby chick after the others are adults (or close to it), then yes, a solitary chick will glom onto YOU as it's flock and scream bloody murder each and every time you get more than a few feet away--just ask Chido! It will do this night and day and drive you insane. A small stuffed animal (not the fuzzy type so the chick doesn't ingest crop-blocking fuzz) and a small mirror placed with the chick can help, but the flock instinct is strong and being alone does stress the chick. On the plus side, it will grow into a bird that loves YOU very much.

What I did last year was to get additional baby chicks while my first group was about 3-4 weeks old, and partition off the brooder box with wire--they could see and hear each other and hang out, but the older ones couldn't stomp the babies. After two weeks when the new kids were big and strong enough to deal with it, I removed the partition and everyone ran together.

Your other option is to get two baby chicks instead of one so they have company, even then they may holler for you (again, see Chido's videos). :keke:

Video in question and a bit of background information. I had ordered chicks from mypetchicken.com, Errant, and USPS shipped them to the wrong state. By the time I finally got them two died on within an hour of getting them out of the box, and one a couple of days later. The survivor, Pancake, was very lonely and would peep her little heart out so I got an EE chick --Waffle-- from the feed store. Both of them hit it off right away, but they were still a bit lonely, and would peep so much if we weren't near their crate. I ended up taking them to my room so9 they could see me whenever I was at my computer, but if you see this video, you can see how distressed chicks get if they realized they are alone when I went to make some coffee :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pQpGTGeV3Y

Both chicks are 6 months old now and Waffle is extremely attached to people, and they both ALWAYS stick together. They go forage together, eat together, sleep together. It's adorable to see them, but they do it because they are at the bottom of the pecking order, and they feel safer staying together. Pancake surprisingly is not that bad and has no big issues with the other chickens; Waffle on the other hand, is very skittish whenever the older hens are near her. Thy both are very sweet and the tamest chickens we have.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Both chicks are 6 months old now and Waffle is extremely attached to people, and they both ALWAYS stick together. They go forage together, eat together, sleep together. It's adorable to see them, but they do it because they are at the bottom of the pecking order, and they feel safer staying together.

If you have just one baby chick, it needs a pal so they can keep each other company and watch each other's backs when they get older. If you get one new chick, you really need to get a 2nd chick so the first one won't be so lonely.

When VS's second hatch last year only yielded one chick (Georgia B.), it was so sad to see Georgia all huddled as close to the wire separating him from the other older chicks. :( Georgia wanted to be with the others, but they probably would have hurt or killed him. So, VS purchased Rose (a chick almost the same age) and Georgia B. was soooooo happy when Rose joined him in the brooder box. :)

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I finally got an egg from the Jerseys! It only took me months...

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

We're testing Chickam right now if anyone gets a message saying it's live and sees our test eggs, don't panic. :) Hatch is still April 20th.

Gotta get our setup tweaked for sound, lighting, etc. Also have to rig something that will let me open the door constantly and NOT make it so we're constantly repositioning the cam.

VVV That, and Leghorns are marvelously sweet and derpy. :)

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 26, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alrught, we will probably buy two Ameraucana's then and partition the big brooder we have going and just let them get aquainted through the wire for a few weeks until they are big enough to play.

Im pretty sure Henrietta is really Henry because of the feather color and the comb. I will get a picture of them in natural light so you all can see better. Hopefully if they are only 3 weeks apart we can put them all out together and they will be a happy little flock o' chickens.

edit: Although I am tempted to get some leghorns because fuzzy yellow chicks are just so drat :3:

Alright here are the girls

Here is Henry

He is much lighter and he won't loving stay still to get a good photo.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 27, 2013

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Gotta get our setup tweaked for sound, lighting, etc. Also have to rig something that will let me open the door constantly and NOT make it so we're constantly repositioning the cam.

VS,

My Reptipro 6000 came in today! That's the good news...
However I'm a bit concerned.
I turned it on, and set the temp at 84 just for a quick test. Right now its been 2 hours and it's only up to 80.
Also, the fan hasn't come on at all. No noise whatsoever. Does it have to get to the target temp before the circulation begins?
The Display shows the target temp every ten seconds, then it flashes back to what the actual temp is at the moment.

I hope this is what it is supposed to do.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Bantaras posted:

VS,

My Reptipro 6000 came in today! That's the good news...
However I'm a bit concerned.
I turned it on, and set the temp at 84 just for a quick test. Right now its been 2 hours and it's only up to 80.
Also, the fan hasn't come on at all. No noise whatsoever. Does it have to get to the target temp before the circulation begins?
The Display shows the target temp every ten seconds, then it flashes back to what the actual temp is at the moment.

I hope this is what it is supposed to do.

Did you check the buttons on the back of the unit, too? Make sure the fan isn't set on 'mute' (it does cycle on and off though). Also, try getting it to heat to 100 degrees instead of 84...mine heated up within minutes. If the thing still doesn't work for you, call ReptiPro--so far they have an amazing rep for sending replacement units immediately when one doesn't work.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Did you check the buttons on the back of the unit, too? Make sure the fan isn't set on 'mute' (it does cycle on and off though). Also, try getting it to heat to 100 degrees instead of 84...mine heated up within minutes. If the thing still doesn't work for you, call ReptiPro--so far they have an amazing rep for sending replacement units immediately when one doesn't work.

Yeah, I checked that stuff.
I called and they are sending a replacement right away. They are sending it without even having the original unit back yet!
Great customer service, and they are bending over backwards to help.
On the BackyardChicken website forums, I've read that faulty incubators are a common thing when shipped. One person had to send their Brinsea back 3 times before they got one that worked.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

So my feed store has dropped all pretense and is finally telling the truth when you buy baby chicks:

OK, actually it was a small plastic toy for my kid. But the rest of the items are accurate and we buy this much feed monthly, Brahmas and Giant Cochins eat like freakin' locusts. :pwn:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I tried to get Megatron "singing" after laying her egg on video, but she didn't do it. Instead, here's a picture of her wound. I haad put tape to try and close her wound on Sunday when it was fresh. It didn't quite work, but at least the wound isn't as wide. How is it looking? Does it look like she's healing well?

The wound when it was fresh.

I also want to try to clean some of that dry blood/oozing liquid/neosporin at the bottom of the wound, but I don't want to hurt her, so how should I do it?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

I tried to get Megatron "singing" after laying her egg on video, but she didn't do it. Instead, here's a picture of her wound. I haad put tape to try and close her wound on Sunday when it was fresh. It didn't quite work, but at least the wound isn't as wide. How is it looking? Does it look like she's healing well?

I also want to try to clean some of that dry blood/oozing liquid/neosporin at the bottom of the wound, but I don't want to hurt her, so how should I do it?

Augh!!!! Those pictures! :(

You could take some saline solution (they sell big bottles of it for cheap at the drugstore) and use it to wash out the wound. You can heat the saline solution up in the microwave if you want to make it warm (but be sure to test it before using it on the hen). Perhaps take some cotton balls and gently dab at the dried stuff.

You might also use hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound (but I can't remember if it stings or not...I don't think so). Hydrogen peroxide breaks down blood. I used to use it to get blood stains off of towels. You would want to rinse the hydrogen peroxide off.

Do you have some iodine? Use a cotton ball and apply that to the wound perhaps? Just remember that iodine can stain stuff, so don't let her roll around on the carpet.

VS: LOL! I saw that receipt posted on your Livejournal. So funny! :D

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 28, 2013

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

the feathers around it look messy because of the neosporin. I put a lot of it to completely fill in the wound, but Megatron eventually spreads it everywhere. The wound itself is pretty dry now, and there's thin film covering it now. The thing is that I really want to clean all around it, but I fear Mega might struggle and the skin will split again.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

the feathers around it look messy because of the neosporin. I put a lot of it to completely fill in the wound, but Megatron eventually spreads it everywhere. The wound itself is pretty dry now, and there's thin film covering it now. The thing is that I really want to clean all around it, but I fear Mega might struggle and the skin will split again.

If the wound is sealed up and dry, I would just leave it alone.

When I was going to a clinic about some difficult-to-heal wounds, they would always use iodine on my wounds, mainly because it was a disenfectant. Once it dried, they'd bandage the wound up again. I guess you do NOT want to use iodine since she might spread it all around (and it stains very badly).

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 28, 2013

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Inveigle posted:

If the wound is sealed up and dry, I would just leave it alone.

When I was going to a clinic about some difficult-to-heal wounds, they would always use iodine on my wounds, mainly because it was a disenfectant. Once it dried, they'd bandage the wound up again. I guess you do NOT want to use iodine since she might spread it all around (and it stains very badly).

Yeah,and right now I'm not putting any bandages on her because she keeps taking them off. I fear she might get tangled with the bandage and hurt herself at night so I'd rather leave her like that. the wound seems to be healing well and it doesn't look infected. The skin around it isn't that red anymore, so it seems to be ok.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Augh!!!! Those pictures! :(

You could take some saline solution (they sell big bottles of it for cheap at the drugstore) and use it to wash out the wound. You can heat the saline solution up in the microwave if you want to make it warm (but be sure to test it before using it on the hen). Perhaps take some cotton balls and gently dab at the dried stuff.

You might also use hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound (but I can't remember if it stings or not...I don't think so). Hydrogen peroxide breaks down blood. I used to use it to get blood stains off of towels. You would want to rinse the hydrogen peroxide off.

Do you have some iodine? Use a cotton ball and apply that to the wound perhaps? Just remember that iodine can stain stuff, so don't let her roll around on the carpet.

VS: LOL! I saw that receipt posted on your Livejournal. So funny! :D

I'd use the saline solution and gauze to clean it--it will fuzz and stick less than cotton balls, and has a little more texture to it to aid in cleaning. Pat it dry with more gauze and apply a thin film of Neosporin.

I made the egg trade with a local family, here are their eggs which will go into the incubator with ours on Saturday!

They are mixes of the following: Light Brahma and Golden Polish dads, moms are Sicilian Buttercup, Light Brahma, Golden Polish, Leghorn, Orpington, Rhode Island Red and Silver Laced Wyandotte, each one will be kind of a mystery! Buttercups and Polish, yay! I do so love chickens with silly doodads on their heads. :woop:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 28, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Do ducks lose a few feathers when they're feathering out, or are my chickens plucking him?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I made the egg trade with a local family, here are their eggs which will go into the incubator with ours on Saturday!

They are mixes of the following: Light Brahma and Golden Polish dads, moms are Sicilian Buttercup, Light Brahma, Golden Polish, Leghorn, Orpington, Rhode Island Red and Silver Laced Wyandotte, each one will be kind of a mystery! Buttercups and Polish, yay! I do so love chickens with silly doodads on their heads. :woop:

Ooooh! Lots of nice breeds there! Hooray for Polish fluffheads! :D You'll have to get the lady you traded with to take some photos of the chicks she ends up with. How many chickens does she own?

unprofessional: I would think that any birds would lose feathers when they are molting. Take some photos of your birds and show us! :)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

unprofessional posted:

Do ducks lose a few feathers when they're feathering out, or are my chickens plucking him?

What do you plan on doing with duck now that his friend is gone? It was kind of lovely of them to only send two ducks, knowing how social they are. I wonder if him having chickens for friends would be enough for him?
Do you have any sort of pond for duck?

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Chido posted:

You could try Blue Kote spray. It will help protect the wound & keep other chickens from pecking it.
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/blue_kote_wound_dressing.html

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Greycious posted:

What do you plan on doing with duck now that his friend is gone? It was kind of lovely of them to only send two ducks, knowing how social they are. I wonder if him having chickens for friends would be enough for him?
Do you have any sort of pond for duck?
1 acre pond, so that's not a problem. Not really sure about what I'll do - we have a local animal sale barn every saturday, so maybe I can find him a buddy soon. He's so f'ing goofy, I love him.

Please identify any chicks you can pick out. Bald part of the duck is right behind the wing, as you'll see.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

1 acre pond, so that's not a problem. Not really sure about what I'll do - we have a local animal sale barn every saturday, so maybe I can find him a buddy soon. He's so f'ing goofy, I love him.

LOL! The duck looks so big, compared to his buddies! You've got a great selection of chicks! All very cute! Did you get any turkeys?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

unprofessional posted:

Please identify any chicks you can pick out. Bald part of the duck is right behind the wing, as you'll see.
Gray stripey girls are Barred Rocks. Weird half red/white chick staring down the waterer maybe a Red Star hen or a Golden Comet...? The black chicks with the lighter faces may be Jersey Giants or Australorps.

Gray/white stripey chick in front center looks a lot like my OEG bantam hen...

white chick may be a White Rock...

Dark chick next to duck at waterer looks like a dark Brahma, the one standing on the waterer practicing her ballet moves may be an Aseel--look at those legs! Have fun chasing this one if she doesn't want to be caught. :keke:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ahahaha he looks so giant.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

The black chicks with brown chests are definitely Black Sex Links.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

The red with white chicks look a lot like my Red stars did at that age.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Is the word they use SQUEEEE for adorable furry chick pictures? Is the duck one of those Runner type ducks? Thanks for all the great photos everyone!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Bantaras posted:

The red with white chicks look a lot like my Red stars did at that age.

These pics define the word, 'trepidation'.
:ohdear: 'Oh no, I'll have to jump down...'
:supaburn: 'Oh GOD everyone else is eating Igottagetdownthere!'

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I put the Ladies out in their coop for the first time yesterday!

It was about 65 and sunny, so I put them in their tub (for moving them around) and then put them in the coop. There was some minor freaking-out, but mostly they peeped and checked out their new digs. Then I opened the door (the coop has a built-in run). They ignored it completely. The dogs and cats, however, went full-on batshit nuts. Especially the dogs. They were quivering they were so worked up.

We ended up luring them out with mealworms. My husband made a little candy trail of worms/oats down the chicken ladder to get them out.
They ate the worms and promptly went right back up into the house part. Baby steps, I guess.

We went out for dinner last night, and my husband said, "We're going to get back and there will just be a fat coyote stuck in the coop, too fat to get out." Needless to say, they did fine. I put a clamp light with a 150W bulb in the house to keep it from getting too cold overnight.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Since we got ourselves a roo we went back to get some hopefully hens to finish our flock.

Rhode island red and a white Australorp. :3:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you need another duck or chick you might be able to find a bunch in a week or so after they're no longer cute for easter.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
TSC is already half-pricing the bigger ones. Might be able to go to the sale barn tomorrow morning.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Bantaras posted:

I made another feeder for a friend. She's actually studying veterinary sciences at Univ of Florida and will be shipping out to Michigan this summer to get some kind of poultry inspection certification. Her little brothers have chickens here at home so I thought they might enjoy this.

Just wanted to post that I thought making a few with orange trays seems to look a lot better.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Heh, love to see people falling victim to Chicken Math (and Duck Math) and justifying their madness with ohsosaneseeming rational... :keke:
I, on the other hand, never do such a thing.

...I've got 40 eggs labeled and ready to go into the incubator tomorrow for hatch on April 20th! Because it's been a year since my floor was covered in chicken poop. :suicide:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Yesss, Chickam is comin' up soon! Gonna waste so much time watching your cam, VS. :allears:

Have you ever thought about having ducks or something besides chickens? Maybe quail? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Alterian posted:

If you need another duck or chick you might be able to find a bunch in a week or so after they're no longer cute for easter.

I stopped by the local farmer's supply store and they had 3 week chicks and turkeys, I think they are still adorable! Gawky looking but adorable! They did not appear to be as fragile as the 1 week chicks. Sad thing, the turkey brooder had 3 dead chicks. The clerk was cleaning water bottles and filling food and I suppose he didn't see the deceased chicks or perhaps he did and decided to remove them once I pointed them out. (3 week old turkeys are not that tiny) I've heard "chicken math illness" also called "morehens disease."