Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Bow before the might of the MiG-21PFM, a variant so old even most African militaries have more advanced aircraft. You'd think they could at least have sprung for one of their MiG-29's, they had a photo of lil' Kimmy with one when he first got the job.

I love the chrome Kalash, too. Didn't Saddam have one in gold, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Bow before the might of the MiG-21PFM, a variant so old even most African militaries have more advanced aircraft. You'd think they could at least have sprung for one of their MiG-29's, they had a photo of lil' Kimmy with one when he first got the job.

I love the chrome Kalash, too. Didn't Saddam have one in gold, though?

What are those things hanging open?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

hailthefish posted:

What are those things hanging open?

Wheels and wheel doors ?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I'm the guy wearing green pajamas and shooting with his eyes closed from the hip.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Baloogan posted:

Wheels and wheel doors ?

It's the mainwheel well doors, they're just painted yellow for the glory of Juche or something.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
So, one of those vs. a modern US/Korean F-16 variant.

Over/Under in minutes until being curbstomped.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Depends. A mig 21 can gently caress up a couple of blackhawks easy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Chinatown posted:

So, one of those vs. a modern US/Korean F-16 variant.

Over/Under in minutes until being curbstomped.

Well, the F-16 can shoot before the MiG-21 will detect it on radar. So there's that.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

I'm the guy wearing green pajamas and shooting with his eyes closed from the hip.

Racist

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The fearsome juche military displays its finest military tactics, derived from such films as "Predator", "Starship Troopers" and "The Warriors" (NKA colours are bright green over an orange background)

Seriously, are they using Kim Jong's film collection to train their army?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Nice to see that ugly army chicks isn't a US only phenomenon.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The real question is how did one of them get fat?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

ded posted:

I don't know but she seemed to catch the eye of Dear Leader...

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Guess someone needs to spell this out to everyone. The people in those pictures are not a good representation of the actual bulk of NK troops. These are most likely all Pyongyang inhabitants, the privileged bureaucrats and party members who are still required to do kabuki military exercises. Imagine the worst National Guard units multiplied a hundred fold.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Bensa posted:

Guess someone needs to spell this out to everyone. The people in those pictures are not a good representation of the actual bulk of NK troops. These are most likely all Pyongyang inhabitants, the privileged bureaucrats and party members who are still required to do kabuki military exercises. Imagine the worst National Guard units multiplied a hundred fold.

Woah, so their "National Guard" Fatties are like our regular National Guard soldiers in terms of build. I'd hate to see what their regular army pre-pubescent 5ft private looks like.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

pkells posted:

I don't know but she seemed to catch the eye of Dear Leader...

He does look hungry.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

ded posted:

Every two years they drop squads out in an isolated location and they have to survive there for three months. The goal is to harden them and teach them to live off the land and work together but usually the bigger ones just end up eating the smaller ones. Due to some wacky rule, if you eat a person you become that person and are entitled to what was theirs including rations. The fat chicks are the baddest motherfuckers around.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Now this is pretty interesting. Powerful Portraits of British Soldiers Before, During and After Deployment to Afghanistan

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Pardon my ignorance, but how can this guy even see? The magazine is mounted right in front of the sight.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Raimundus posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but how can this guy even see? The magazine is mounted right in front of the sight.

The sight is offset.

Bensa posted:

Well no poo poo, way to take a joke about fat people in a county in a state of perpetual starvation too seriously.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Vasudus posted:

Well no poo poo, way to take a joke about fat people in a county in a state of perpetual starvation too seriously.

Wasn't really about the fat ones so much as the dudes holding those weapons in a variety of hosed up ways, a lot of the food aid is diverted to the armed forces. The actual armed forces no doubt know something about warfare and are internally face-palming at mach 3 when they see this poo poo thrown out by the propaganda machine and politically appointed generals.
I bet its pretty similar to what other militaries do with their photo-shoots, just on a bigger scale. Instead of a PFC who's really good at drill being chosen to promo the newest weapons system its a bunch of party workers who got employee of the month at their local bureau.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I'm absolutely certain that the pilot was ordered to accelerate fast enough to fly the nose wheel off the ground then promptly put it back down and stop the Mig-21 for this photo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He didn't have a choice, it ran out of gas.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

There was a pretty good comment on reddit from a photographer noting that most of the change expressed in these photos was due to lighting tricks.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ron Jeremy posted:

There was a pretty good comment on reddit from a photographer noting that most of the change expressed in these photos was due to lighting tricks.

Photography is just like any creative outlet where it's done to achieve a goal. You pretty much have to assume any photo published in a magazine or on journalistic website is very likely to have been manipulated in some way.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm absolutely certain that the pilot was ordered to accelerate fast enough to fly the nose wheel off the ground then promptly put it back down and stop the Mig-21 for this photo.

Looks like its on of the 2 seat trainer MiG-21s. Probably a training squadron

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGtOPXML_P8

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That's not how you reduce ballast.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I bet those poor guys had to drive on the surface the entire time because of that bolted on bullshit on the sail.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/29/world/europe/syria-weapons-blogger/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Brown Moses aka MR MOM

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot

Good he's getting the recognition he deserves :)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

He didn't have a choice, it ran out of gas.

Sequestration truly is a bleak future.

Since we're posting DPRK MiG-21s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nKuoNhihh4

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Highway to the Juche Zone!

EBB fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 31, 2013

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
for some reason i still think sub @ periscope depth pics are really cool

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
That slut of a sub is showing its BRA.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Stood under a -53 as it was taking off. Old photo:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The comments are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

The comments are amazing.

CNN comments are always hilariously bad.

• Locked thread