Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Greycious posted:

Ugh seriously, all of this. My pregnancy has completely ruined/changed almost everything about my body and the way it functions. :(

And yeah getting kicked down near the vagina/cervix, especially when I know there are stitches down there, is very un-cool! Little dude, just kick or punch me in the ribs instead, okay? I actually prefer that much much more.

I feel a little bit like a monster for how much I complain and say "I can't wait to have my body back to myself" but it really has not been very pleasant for me. I'm insanely jealous of women who look normal and comfortable during their pregnancy. I can't even walk through one store without my lower back feeling like my spine is welded together and I have to waddle around because it is so stiff and uncomfortable. (Although, that might be partly because i've been on bed rest almost my whole pregnancy and all my muscles are so weak they never got use to carrying extra weight-but it has also been achy and sore since the first trimester so...)

I feel like when I bitch to people who aren't my mom or husband they might get the wrong idea and think that I am angry at this baby or something, lol. Totally not the case, I love him to bits already and can't wait to meet him, but drat I just wish my body was handling all this better. I had an image of how my pregnancy would go before I got pregnant, and almost every little piece of that image was shattered by the time I was 6 weeks along, and it never got to be anything like what I expected/hoped for either.

/end rant. Sorry that felt good. :haw:

I'm here for you on this one. My pregnancy was AWFUL...had ear infections worse than labor, frequently. I also lost my job because I was pregnant (really), had a complication and fell a few times. You're not a monster. Pregnancy really can suck and people should be understanding of that, even if it is temporary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Thanks all. seen four different doctors who have said different things ranging from inducing at 34 weeks to waitig to 37 and maybe i can in home if local place will monitor me but probably not because of distance. got my course books here so banget some studying done at least.

sorry for spelling

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lyz posted:

I never had a problem after everything healed up, although my hemorrhoids stuck around.

Does this get better? I'm 4 months post and ugh. The medicated wipes do nothing.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

Molly Bloom posted:

Oh, that's too easy for France. They give you some mega-huge glass ampoule of D3 oil to be taken once every 15 days.

When I was on megadoses on vitamin D, I LOVED it. I had sooo much energy and I'd zoom around and not need sleep and it was so incredible. The constant fairly low dose is kinda sad after that.

Sockmuppet posted:

I just had a toxoplasmosis test done, and I'm negative, and absolutely baffled. Concidering how much I've eaten over the years (and the suspect circumstances I've eaten these things in) of everything they warn you against when you become pregnant, I cannot believe I haven't picked it up before the pregnancy.

My mom made me get a toxo test, which also came back negative. I've dug in the garden for a zillion year and had cats since birth (some of whom went outside) so I was surprised too.

The one thing that really surprised me was that I'm not immune to rubella (I think - my online records for that seem to have vanished). I've had all my vaccines! The doctor told me that sometimes the vaccines just don't stick.

The coolest thing about being pregnant, to counteract my fuss post, is that my immune system has gotten godly. I have had a cold that knocked me out for two weeks, but all other diseases and allergies have been non-existent. It's been great. I'm hoping that means that the baby will come out with a super-human immune system and never get sick so I don't have to deal with snot or puke (hahahaha yeah right).

Glad everyone seems to be okay, despite peeing themselves everywhere.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
I'm definitely not one of the "I am a glowing Earth Goddess and I love being pregnant" types of pregnant women, that's for sure! I've just had it very easy and am thankful for that. I also have found some of my chronic conditions have improved with being pregnant which is a huge, huge bonus. I haven't worked in 2 years because I've had chronic debilitating migraines, and (knocks on wood) I haven't had a single migraine since getting pregnant. I mean, sure, I have a mild to moderate headache every day, but I can more than tolerate that. The worst part of the migraines weren't really the pain. Strangely, my anxiety has also been a lot better. This surprised me the most, given my long history with panic disorder. I was afraid I was going to have a really rough time, especially because I quit my anxiety meds, but I'm so, so much less anxious. It's very weird, but I'll take it!

I'm 29 weeks today, and have my first childbirth class tonight, ack! Where is the time going?! Since I had to go to the ER and get checked out Saturday, the constant cramping went away but came back last night. Annoying, but it isn't worse than it was this weekend so I assume it's just something I'll have to get used to. I see the midwife on the 3rd so I'll get checked again then, but on Saturday my cervix was totally closed and everything was fine. Hard not to be a little concerned (and uncomfortable, it's like moderate menstrual cramps and I can't take ibuprofen) but guess it's just my uterus practicing.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 22, 2017

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lullabee posted:

Do any of you guys have experience with lip ties? I'm positive my son has it (will post a picture later, if you guys want). Would his pediatrician take care of it? I'm thinking he has tongue tie too. We don't have problems latching but I know it can cause problems if we don't get it done early, so I'm just curious.

Your pediatrician wouldn't take care of either, you get a reference to visit an ENT as per your ped's recommendation. The lip tie isn't as much of an issue as the tongue tie. Tongue tie is something you want to get done early, if your LC and ped agree that it's an issue. I thought my son's wasn't that bad since he was nursing fine but it turns out it was one of the worst ones my LC had seen in a long time. He has a dent in the tip of his tongue from where the frenulum stretched and pulled at it for so long. It should eventually work itself out, though.

Is your son having issues nursing? Are you having a lot of pain? Is he gaining ok? We didn't have issues with the first two, but after 2 weeks he was not gaining and had we not found the problem would have been diagnosed with failure to thrive.

This was at about 6 months:

Just a forewarning: your pediatrician likely won't diagnose anything. They may refer you to your LC which was what mine did.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 27, 2013

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hi everyone. I'm currently at the 5 week mark and I already feel like my hormones are going absolutely berserk. I seem to be rapidly switching between fits of rage and feeling teary, and I get frustrated ridiculously easy at the moment. Is this something that may stabilise or get worse as things progress?

I am feeling sorry for my partner, despite him telling me that he thinks it's amusing and that he isn't offended.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 22, 2017

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lullabee posted:

I called and left a message for my ped and am expecting a call tomorrow. We're on Medicaid so I don't know if they'll cover it if an lc 'recommends it'. Hopefully the ped will do it or give me a recommendation for an ent. Cause I seriously don't want to fight with insurance over this.

But his lip tie is bad enough he's got an indent in his gum from it. I can't get to his tongue enough to see, but he looks like he's got an indent on it as well (they often go hand in hand). I can't tell you about him gaining or not, cause he hasn't seen the doc since he was 2 weeks old.

Did he gain in the first 2 weeks? That's usually when it's caught.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 22, 2017

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

bee posted:

Is this something that may stabilise or get worse as things progress?

I can't speak for everyone, but for me the emotional hormonal side effects tapered off conciderably after the first trimester.
Everything is out of whack at first, but it seems once your body gets used to the new hormonal normal, those wild mood swings stabilise.

Bubble Babble posted:

The one thing that really surprised me was that I'm not immune to rubella (I think - my online records for that seem to have vanished). I've had all my vaccines!

Whatup, neg toxo but lovely rubella vaccine-buddy! :hfive:

Also, I'm apparently awesome for not peeing myself on a regular basis :smugdog:

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

bee posted:

Hi everyone. I'm currently at the 5 week mark and I already feel like my hormones are going absolutely berserk. I seem to be rapidly switching between fits of rage and feeling teary, and I get frustrated ridiculously easy at the moment. Is this something that may stabilise or get worse as things progress?

I am feeling sorry for my partner, despite him telling me that he thinks it's amusing and that he isn't offended.

Yeah, this part gets better. 5-8 were a teary mess. I'm 13 now and it's much better.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lullabee posted:

Yes. I'm hoping hell get seen soon and see what the doctor says. This is what it looks like:

If he's gaining and his lips are able to flare open properly (which it looks like it is based on how you're pushing on it) I don't think there's really cause for concern. Can you see your hospital's LC or go to a breastfeeding support group (which are free) where you can address the issue and see what they say? Have you looked in to visiting your local La Leche League? Honestly, they'll be able to help you out more in regards to this situation than your pediatrician.

It was cause for concern in our situation because my son was nursing fine, but didn't gain at all in those first two weeks. He was not able to pull any of the foremilk.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Tomorrow is the day, assuming nothing happens today. Scheduled to go in for induction at 9:30, and I am super, super scared :( I don't even know what of.. I guess just things going pear shaped. I am both excited and terrified to meet this boy, and I really hope I don't gently caress him up.

Pregnancy is surreal.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Dandy Shrew posted:

Tomorrow is the day, assuming nothing happens today. Scheduled to go in for induction at 9:30, and I am super, super scared :( I don't even know what of.. I guess just things going pear shaped. I am both excited and terrified to meet this boy, and I really hope I don't gently caress him up.

Pregnancy is surreal.

Good luck Dandy Shrew, I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your baby.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance, I think having some previous brain problems has probably made me feel a bit hypersensitive to any perceived behaviour or emotional changes. It's calming to know that it's probably just my body trying to adjust to some big changes.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama

Dandy Shrew posted:

Pregnancy is surreal.

Sending good thoughts your way!

My due date is tomorrow and as of my last check up on Tuesday, baby hasn't dropped yet. This is my first pregnancy and the doctor said it was unusual he hasn't dropped yet. I'm walking and bouncing on my yoga ball as much as I can, but I'm a bit concerned. If I haven't delivered by Tuesday I will go in for a membrane sweep and the next step after that will be to schedule an induction. My hospital will usually let you go two weeks after your due date before they induce, baring any complicating factors. I guess I'll find out Tuesday how long they will let me go over my due date, but I hope this little guy decides to make his way down before then.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

An Cat Dubh posted:

My due date is tomorrow and as of my last check up on Tuesday, baby hasn't dropped yet. This is my first pregnancy and the doctor said it was unusual he hasn't dropped yet. I'm walking and bouncing on my yoga ball as much as I can, but I'm a bit concerned. If I haven't delivered by Tuesday I will go in for a membrane sweep and the next step after that will be to schedule an induction. My hospital will usually let you go two weeks after your due date before they induce, baring any complicating factors. I guess I'll find out Tuesday how long they will let me go over my due date, but I hope this little guy decides to make his way down before then.

I hope he drops, mine was only at 2 when I went into labor and didn't go any further, I pushed him (for 2.5 hours) to 0 and he was delivered with forceps and me pushing. Forceps hurt like a motherfucker and I tore from pushing so long.

Professor Bananas
Feb 16, 2011

An Cat Dubh posted:

My little boy hadn't dropped by my due date and the midwives made me really worried that I'd need an induction if I didn't get him to move down (and I was keeping really active, doing all the right things, he just wasn't going!) In fact I was rescanned at 37 and 40 weeks because he was so high 2 of them thought he was breach, he was wedged right up in my ribcage. I should've saved myself the worry though, I went into labour at 40+6 and he hadn't budged at all before then, I guess he dropped when he had to. So don't be too worried about it, I remember working myself right up! I had 2 membrane sweeps and the second did the trick, I was in early labour that evening.

Edit: On the subject of being unnecessarily concerned by health professionals, one of the midwifes also wrote in my notes "possible narrow pubic arch??" and I spent the remaining week of my pregnancy terrified the baby would get stuck. He was 8lb 6oz and still came out just fine. Worried myself sick for nothing!

Professor Bananas fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 28, 2013

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

My three hour glucose test results came back, and I don't have GD. :woop:
My Dr. told me my numbers were still a little on the high side though, so I'm making an effort to reduce some of the sugars in my diet.

Also, I'm fortunate enough not to have any pee leaking issues at this point in my pregnancy (28 weeks tomorrow!) but I am having hemorrhoid issues, and I've had bowel issues since the first trimester. I honestly rather have the pee leakage.
rear end issues = not OK. :sigh:

My Dr wasn't able to give much helpful advice. She pretty much just said "After delivery, the hemorrhoids will get much worse!" Thanks doc. :(

Sorry for sharing so much information. It just sucks being so uncomfortable all the time.

UltraGrey fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 28, 2013

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Awesome on the no GD, Grey! But I'm sorry about the butt issues. :(

And Dandy, sending some calming thoughts your way, hope tomorrow is a breeze for you.

Had my first childbirth prep class last night, and it was good. The hospital I'll deliver at is specifically an OB hospital which is great, and they have a whole education center there. I'm taking the childbirth prep, breastfeeding, and infant care classes, my parents signed up for the grandparent classes, which is adorable. There were about 20 women in the class last night, from around 27-32 weeks and it's crazy how different women at the same point in their pregnancy can look so different and how different every pregnancy is. I also was very impressed with how inclusive the class was--they never referred to the mom's partner/coach as "the father" or dad, it was also gender neutral. My partner isn't the baby's father, and I was a little nervous I or he would be uncomfortable because they'd be referring to dad, etc. but I was really pleased with how well it was done.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Greycious posted:

My Dr. told me my numbers were still a little on the high side though, so I'm making an effort to reduce some of the sugars in my diet.

Also, I'm fortunate enough not to have any pee leaking issues at this point in my pregnancy (28 weeks tomorrow!) but I am having hemorrhoid issues, and I've had bowel issues since the first trimester. I honestly rather have the pee leakage.

My Dr wasn't able to give much helpful advice. She pretty much just said "After delivery, the hemorrhoids will get much worse!" Thanks doc. :(

Sorry for sharing so much information. It just sucks being so uncomfortable all the time.

I'm nearly 6 weeks out, and my rear end issues are just about my only lingering problem from giving birth. Colace will be your friend, as will warm water from the peri bottle they'll give you in the hospital. Hemorrhoids loving suck so bad, you have my sympathies.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My daughter is 2 and I still get hemorrhoids sometimes. :suicide:

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Greycious posted:

It's great you passed the 3 hour and don't have to deal with GD! Sounds like reducing your sugar intake is probably good though.

Hemorrhoids suck. I'm having that issue even though things have mostly been good for me since ~22 weeks when the morning sickness mostly resolved. Keep wet wipes (the toddler oriented flushable sort) by the toilet and use them every time. Even when you just pee. I find that helps reduce how irritated they get by quite a bit. And stay on top of the constipation. I let things go for 2-3 days a few times early in the pregnancy (loving Zofran) and it was bad news. Now I take a half dose of Milk of Magnesia if I skip even one day so things can't get out of control and it seems to work a lot better. Also, if things get really bad, liquid glycerin suppositories are *way* better than the solid ones (though they also cost substantially more).

No pee issues here, but if my baby could stay the hell away from my ribs I would really love it. I've had pretty substantial rib pain on my left side with sitting for at least the last 10 weeks (I'm 35 weeks now) and it's getting old. And now instead of just keeping her body pressed there, which was bad enough, she also kicks me in the ribs full force. Still, it could be a lot worse and I'm honestly much happier and more comfortable than I expected to be at this point in the pregnancy. Maybe I just had really terrible expectations for pregnancy going in? It's definitely never been something I looked forward to.

It's starting to hit home that my due date is only about a month away now. I've got everything washed and ready and have packed my hospital bag and all that but it all still feels a bit like some sort of game I'm playing. It's still hard to believe there's going to be an actual baby at the end of this.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ceridwen posted:

It's starting to hit home that my due date is only about a month away now. I've got everything washed and ready and have packed my hospital bag and all that but it all still feels a bit like some sort of game I'm playing. It's still hard to believe there's going to be an actual baby at the end of this.

100% this! It feels like playing house when I was a kid.

I keep meaning to ask my dumb question. (I know, I know, there are no dumb questions...) Is it weird that I worry that my baby moves too much? It doesn't bother or annoy me, it's not painful, other than the bladder discomfort and the occasional cervix jab... Of all the silly things to worry about, I know! I have nothing to compare it to, it's a hard thing to quantify when talking to other women. But just now, there was a period of about 15 minutes where I could feel him wriggling around almost nonstop that made me think of my question. Totally projecting my own anxieties, but I think "What if he's like, panicking? Is he in distress?" because it feels pretty flail-y. I'll bring it up with my midwife when I see her on the 3rd to ease my mind a bit.

Oh, and the hot topic at childbirth class last night that was funny: "Is it true you might OH MY GOD POOP when pushing?" (This was not news to most of us.) This one woman, who was hilarious, asked about it. Most of the women were nodding like, "Yeah, I heard that/makes sense/ew" and the men were making this face: :gonk: The woman was like, "Will the doctors and nurses laugh at you afterwards?!" and the nurse running the class said, "Actually, we make an announcement over the loudspeaker when it happens, 'We have a number two in delivery room three...'" Haha!

Edit: Forgot to touch on hemmhroids. (Ew.) I have a small one that I've had for ages that flares up sometimes, and I'm worried about it getting worse, ugh. I know my mom got 'em bad and they more or less never went away. But I have to say, the prenatal I've been taking is AWESOME as far as not making me feel sick or have that iron taste or make me constipated. I don't want to sound like a shill or recommend anything, but I've been taking Rainbow Light Prenatal One one a day. It has ginger and something else in it to "protect" your stomach and I dunno, it seems to help me. I forget the other brand I tried first but oof. Iron is rough, these hippie pills seem to make it tolerable for me!

sudont fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 28, 2013

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

sudont posted:

I keep meaning to ask my dumb question. (I know, I know, there are no dumb questions...) Is it weird that I worry that my baby moves too much? It doesn't bother or annoy me, it's not painful, other than the bladder discomfort and the occasional cervix jab... Of all the silly things to worry about, I know! I have nothing to compare it to, it's a hard thing to quantify when talking to other women. But just now, there was a period of about 15 minutes where I could feel him wriggling around almost nonstop that made me think of my question. Totally projecting my own anxieties, but I think "What if he's like, panicking? Is he in distress?" because it feels pretty flail-y. I'll bring it up with my midwife when I see her on the 3rd to ease my mind a bit.

My baby moves a crazy amount, though I'm very skinny and quite sensitive to her movements, so apparently part of it is just that I feel every little thing she does (according to the doc). I wasn't sure if there was anything to worry about with her moving so much but he assured me that if anything it was a good thing and only to worry if she slows down substantially.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Thanks, Ceridwen. It always feels better just to hear someone say, "I had the same weird fear/symptom!" I too am very thin, or, at least, I was till I put on this 30 lbs. and I felt movement very early (I want to say 14 weeks). I picture my little dude doing the dance that Elaine from Seinfeld does in there.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My baby is pretty active, and he has days where there will be 15+ minutes up to an hour where he just parties/flails nonstop-- yesterday was one of those days. I get the same "oh man is everything ok" feeling but then I remember that a moving baby is generally a happy baby.

And then on days when he isn't flailing 24/7 I think "oh no is he moving enough?!?" I swear I'm always worried about something.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My son was VERY active in the womb. There were times when I'd feel very rapid movements - almost seizure like. Well, once he was born he would stretch and he'd rapidly shake his hand or foot during the stretch. So, that's what it was. I never experienced it with my daughter so I was super paranoid he was having seizures in the womb when in fact it was just him stretching and having that reflexive reaction :)

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

sudont posted:

I picture my little dude doing the dance that Elaine from Seinfeld does in there.

Hahaha that's great, I usually say mine is practicing his ninja moves. Mine goes through periods of moving a lot, mostly right after I have breakfast and then again after dinner, and often just before I fall asleep. There have been times were I was worried he was going to hurt me or himself- or yes, wondering if maybe he's panicked because something is wrong.

The other day I was talking with my husband remarking about how much he was twitching around in there, and said something like "what if he actually has some disorder that just makes him twitch uncontrollably??"

On the hemorrhoid topic, I have been taking miralax(well the non-brand name since its so much cheaper) since my first trimester. I had horrible constipation then, and ended up with a fissure :cry: But my assdoc told me about miralax, and I just take a small amount every day and that keeps things from getting too crazy. Definitely recommend miralax, especially because you can adjust the dosage to whatever suits your body's needs.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

Greycious posted:

I have my glucose test in two weeks and I'm irrationally worried about it. I eat pretty darn clean, but I'm like blah, vegetarian, gluten-free, AND carb-free? I'll be down to salad, tofu, Greek yogurt, and nuts. Which are delicious, but seriously now.

Have you tried probiotics? I had soooo many issues with my insides before I quit wheat, and then when I started taking probiotics (too much information) everything was great and smooth. My poop has been awesome in every way so far, except when I eat wheat by accident, and I really think it's from the probiotics.

I had to take Miralax before I figured out the gluten thing, and that stuff is horrific. I'd get all teary and stressed before I had to take it. I actually preferred the cramping with other laxatives than choking down that thick liquid.

Here's another weird question. Baby likes to spazz out in there too, but as soon as I or my husband put a hand on my belly, it stops. This thing has been kicking for weeks and weeks, hard enough I can see my belly move, but it feels like every single time stops when there is pressure. It's sad because I want my husband to feel it too and he's only felt it two or three times.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I've had two kids and I still have hemorrhoid problems. Miralax is definitely your friend if you're constipated. I take a fiber supplement every single day, per my obstetrician and then my primary care doctor. That is on top of eating a healthy diet with lots of veggies. It's the best preventative measure I've found, and I haven't had a flare-up in ages.

During a flare-up, what worked best for me was sitz baths with baking soda and witch hazel wipes. If you don't want to spend the money on Tucks or whatever, you can get those cotton pads that are used to remove makeup and soak them in witch hazel. You can also make what a friend of mine referred to as "happy taint pads" for after childbirth by soaking humongous post birth maxi pads in witch hazel and freezing them.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Bubble Babble posted:

Here's another weird question. Baby likes to spazz out in there too, but as soon as I or my husband put a hand on my belly, it stops. This thing has been kicking for weeks and weeks, hard enough I can see my belly move, but it feels like every single time stops when there is pressure. It's sad because I want my husband to feel it too and he's only felt it two or three times.

Same thing for me-- I could put my hand on, he would continue kicking, husband would put his hand on, instantly the kicking would cease.

I'm 28 weeks now and for the past couple he has been much more obliging to kicking when my husband is feeling. :)

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

sudont posted:

I have this too, I brought it up with my OB last week because I never had this problem with Chris, and he said it could be muscle spasms as well. So it's not the baby freaking out, it's your abdominal muscles. I get it a lot when I lie on my left side, which I know is supposed to make the kiddo more active but it was more of a fluttering than kicking.

Although she is way more active than I remember Chris being. I'm going to have a feisty baby.

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006
I had my anatomy scan on Tuesday (currently 21 weeks) and a regular OB appointment. The anatomy scan was awesome! I loved seeing all the bits and pieces as an almost complet baby. Got to see the chambers of the heart, the spine, even th vertebrae of the spine. And the tech measured everything!

So it turns out I'm having a boy. Which is funny since I sort of thought it was a girl, so I mostly have girl names. Time to look at the other half of the book. And everything looks good and healthy, all the genetic testing came back negative.

Only one problem: I was told at my 16 week appointment that I should expect to gain a pound a week, but I gained 7 lbs which means I gained too much. The OB isn't super worried, just told me to focus on eating more protein and less carbs (I really love my pasta) and I need to try to only gain 2-3 lbs by my next appointment. I actually thought I was pretty on track, but it turns out my scale at home is off by 2 lbs, so I have to remember that.

I think I know where most of it came from. Three weeks ago I had a bad week at work which resulted in working later into dinner time, so I was eating dinner at work a lot, and there's only fast food available after 5pm. Also by the end of that week I was completely wiped and started experiencing back pain that made me feel really nauseous, as well as trouble sleeping. The way I managed the back pain was to cut back on my activity levels. So my husband took over the morning dog walk so I could do the afternoon (which can be shorter, and on nice days I can toss the ball for him). I also tried to not walk around as much at work (I normally walk a lot between buildings, but I rearranged my schedule). It really helped the pain, but I also was getting less exercise.

So my plan is to work really hard at eating more protein, more vegetables and maybe now that the back pain is mostly gone I can slowly work up to longer dog walks and maybe add some yoga into my day.

I'm a little worried, I've never worried about my weight before this, but I really want to do right by this baby. I guess I don't have a question but just need to talk about it.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Don't sweat the weight gain too much. I somehow gained 7 pounds between 16 and 20 weeks as well and I have no idea how. So long as you are eating healthily, staying active, and taking care if yourself I wouldn't worry about the weight. I've stopped looking when being weighed and don't ask to know and I just figure if they are concerned they will talk with me about it.

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006

sheri posted:

Don't sweat the weight gain too much. I somehow gained 7 pounds between 16 and 20 weeks as well and I have no idea how. So long as you are eating healthily, staying active, and taking care if yourself I wouldn't worry about the weight. I've stopped looking when being weighed and don't ask to know and I just figure if they are concerned they will talk with me about it.

Thanks. I know it's not a huge deal. And I'm still reasonably active and eating healthy. So I'll just try to keep everything copacetic.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Twenty pounds of my 25 pound pregnancy weight gain occurred before the third trimester despite consistently healthy eating habits. It doesn't have to necessarily be a steady curve.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Same. I would gain a lot, then stay the same weight, then suddenly gain again etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sheri posted:

Same thing for me-- I could put my hand on, he would continue kicking, husband would put his hand on, instantly the kicking would cease.

I've actually been taking advantage of this - if she's kicking up a storm when I'm really tired and just want to sleep, I ask my husband to come feel the kicks, and she stops right away. I have no idea why (he's party Gypsy, I'm blaming that), but I hope his soothing miracle hands continue to work when she comes out.