Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bawk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

How can a white chicken be so very colorful? Tim, you are magic.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

See that big rear end white egg? That's from Baba, my tiny bald leghorn. the pinkish looking ones above and below the green ones are from Pancake, the buff brahma. Such tiny eggs for a big pullet :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Chido posted:

See that big rear end white egg? That's from Baba, my tiny bald leghorn. the pinkish looking ones above and below the green ones are from Pancake, the buff brahma. Such tiny eggs for a big pullet :3:

Chido, which hen(s) lay the green eggs? Nice assortment of eggs!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

That's Waffle :D.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

I see no blue on this chicken. :colbert:

Chido don't worry, those Brahma eggs will get bigger. And Baba is clearly an overachiever.
Bash, sometime in the future I want to hatch some geese--Sebastopol (frizzled!!!) or African.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Oh my. a Frizzle goose would be so adorable! Could geese be friendly? All the geese I've ever met were jerks!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So this new Rhode Island Red, her name is Strawberry, won't shut the hell up. My rabbit is getting sick of her already and as soon as she gets really loud she thumps, which quiets her down a bit for a few minutes. So this is my house now.

cheep cheep cheep cheep CHEEP CHEEP CHEEEEEEP CHEEEEEEP!!!!CHEEEEEEEP! THUMP!!.............. Cheep cheep cheep and so on in an endless circle.

It's 95 degrees under the lamp so I know she isn't cold. She has a friend, the white Australorp we named Sunshine, but still won't shut up unless I am in there and my hand is in the brooder. Then she runs up and rubs against me like a cat.

Definitely different then my Cuckoo Marans.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So this new Rhode Island Red, her name is Strawberry, won't shut the hell up. My rabbit is getting sick of her already and as soon as she gets really loud she thumps, which quiets her down a bit for a few minutes. So this is my house now.

cheep cheep cheep cheep CHEEP CHEEP CHEEEEEEP CHEEEEEEP!!!!CHEEEEEEEP! THUMP!!.............. Cheep cheep cheep and so on in an endless circle.

It's 95 degrees under the lamp so I know she isn't cold. She has a friend, the white Australorp we named Sunshine, but still won't shut up unless I am in there and my hand is in the brooder. Then she runs up and rubs against me like a cat.

AHAHA.....maybe put a plush animal in there for more company or a mirror...?

Or, you are doomed, this girl knows. VVVVVVV

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 30, 2013

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They already see you as their momma hen, you are doomed to spending a few weeks making sure you are always withing 10-15 feet from the brooder or they'll cheep and cheep until you can't take it anymore. then you'll end up stuffing them inside your blouse between your boobs so they calm down and sleep for a bit while you play World of Warcraft/do homework/watch TV. :shepicide:

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Red hens in general are pretty loud. Every red hen I've ever had would constantly cackle and bwak to themselves.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

My birthday was in February and my nieces wanted to give me a present. I ha mentioned once that I thought build-a-bears are cute and sometimes I felt like buying one for me... and see what the girls got me yesterday. A bit late but it's adorable :kimchi:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

My birthday was in February and my nieces wanted to give me a present. I ha mentioned once that I thought build-a-bears are cute and sometimes I felt like buying one for me... and see what the girls got me yesterday. A bit late but it's adorable :kimchi:

Awww. That outfit is sewn onto the doll! Now none of your chickens can try it on!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Inveigle posted:

Awww. That outfit is sewn onto the doll! Now none of your chickens can try it on!

I can remove the outfit :haw:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido posted:

If I don't see a pic of Roo wearing this, complete with snappy hat, on Easter morning I'm driving 400 miles to repossess him.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

If I don't see a pic of Roo wearing this, complete with snappy hat, on Easter morning I'm driving 400 miles to repossess him.

NOOOOOO! I'll try! I'll try my best to get him in it! :O!!!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

...I've got 40 eggs labeled and ready to go into the incubator tomorrow for hatch on April 20th! Because it's been a year since my floor was covered in chicken poop. :suicide:

When's the camera and Chikam thread going live? :3:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Inveigle posted:

Oh my. a Frizzle goose would be so adorable! Could geese be friendly? All the geese I've ever met were jerks!

Goose friendly and chicken friendly are different. Goose friendly is following you around. Chicken friendly is downs-syndrome-children-hugs.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Stopped at sale barn this morning. Didn't pick anything up, but there were definitely a lot of birds I wanted. Somebody was selling their Royal Palm turkey, there were a few pairs of seabrights, white silkies, fluer d'uccles, some neat fluffy pigeons, lots of different types of duck, and a fair number of peacocks and peahens! I didn't have enough time to stay for the poultry auction due to easter plans, but I should be to next weekend! Anybody in michigan interested in cheap birds/goats/farm animals needs to come to Hillsdale on saturday mornings.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

Stopped at sale barn this morning. Didn't pick anything up, but there were definitely a lot of birds I wanted. Somebody was selling their Royal Palm turkey, there were a few pairs of seabrights, white silkies, fluer d'uccles, some neat fluffy pigeons, lots of different types of duck, and a fair number of peacocks and peahens! I didn't have enough time to stay for the poultry auction due to easter plans, but I should be to next weekend! Anybody in michigan interested in cheap birds/goats/farm animals needs to come to Hillsdale on saturday mornings.

Ooooh! Peacocks! I wish I had land out in the country. I love them! And yes, I know how loud they are. A friend's mother used to care for a flock of wild peacocks that hung out on their land. Oddly, I didn't mind the noises they made. I still have a big bunch of peacock feathers that my friend gave to me. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Geese make awesome watchdogs for your property!

SynthOrange posted:

When's the camera and Chikam thread going live? :3:

...and we're off!

A total of 40 eggs were started in our new ReptiPro 6000 incubator this morning, if all goes well they should hatch Saturday, April 20th. There are 15 that I got from a local family in a fertile hatching egg trade, these breeds include light Brahma, Golden Polish and some mixed breed Polish, Buttercup, Silver Laced Wyandotte and Leghorn birds. The remaining 25 eggs are from our hens. The gray stuff along the front of each rack is some weatherstripping to keep eggs from rolling out. I got a new hygrometer, in the back, top left. The purple thing is the water weasel which holds the temp probe, it simulates what the temp is inside an egg which is what you want. Dud eggs will be removed as incuabtion progresses.

All of the eggs have been numbered and look good. The weird round tracing on the large end of the eggs are the outline of the air cell--I'm changing my incubating technique radically and in addition to turning the eggs by hand 5 times a day (I have no life for the next 18 days :suicide:) and candling them on days 7, 14 and 18 to make sure that they are losing the proper amount of weight (which is moisture--13% over 21 days) and will trace the new outline of the air cells on the eggs at that time--it'll end up looking a bit like the rings of a cut section of tree trunk. In addition I'll be weighing each rack of eggs every 3-4 days to make sure they are losing the correct percentage of weight. Between weighing the eggs and candling, you get a very good indication of how the eggs are doing--if the air cell is looking too large, the humidity is too low, if it is to small, the humidity too high.

So the hatch SHOULD be Saturday, April 20th. But given past years, the little buggers may well be a bit early or late according to Mother Nature's whim. If you go to the UStream Chickam page and see EGGS, it means the hatch is on!

The plan is for the ReptiPro to hatch the chicks, which will then immediately be removed to our old forced air styrofoam incubator to dry out & get strong. I'm going to try and get at least one of our girls to go broody so that she can take over the chicks once they are in the brooder box.

We will be testing the cam for a few minutes a couple of days prior to hatch just to make sure everything's working. We may also put the cam out in the yard with the adult chickens, our back yard is nearing completion and we may be allowing the chickens out of the run and into it for the first time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You know as soon as those chicks are old enough to fend for themselves, all of the girls will go broody and not a minute sooner. Are you starting naming submissions on the chickam thread? And is it just me or are some of those eggs enormous?

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

The Chickam thread doesn't start until a we get pipping normally. I hope I finally get my name used this year.

I will make sure someone is called Charizard eventually :3:

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Inveigle posted:

Just a few weekends ago, I held one of these geese on my lap and gave it scritches until it fell asleep. It was the most adorable thing ever. Probably the friendliest goose I have ever met.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Geese make awesome watchdogs for your property!

...and we're off!

Congrats!
My replacement Reptipro arrived today. We can't wait to put it to use!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Zaran posted:

The Chickam thread doesn't start until a we get pipping normally. I hope I finally get my name used this year.

This name sounds so familiar to me. Is it because you have offered this name up for several years? Sounds like an excellent chicken/dino name to me!

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

piscesbobbie posted:

This name sounds so familiar to me. Is it because you have offered this name up for several years? Sounds like an excellent chicken/dino name to me!

... It's a pokemon? One of the original ones.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Charizard is a pokemon.

^^:OUT NERDED noooo.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Kerfuffle posted:

Charizard is a pokemon.

^^:OUT NERDED noooo.

Heh. I was worried that the same thing would happen to me.

More on topic, a friend of mine (and fellow Goon, hi Jeremy) is getting chickens, and I spent some of this morning helping prep his shed for conversion to a coop. also we went to a Tractor Supply Co. yesterday and looked at the chicks and duckling. :3:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
There's this Denis Leary thing where he talks about how marijuana doesn't lead to other drugs, it leads to carpentry.

I think chickens do, too.

We bought a pre-made/not assembled chicken coop. We put the girls in it for the first time on Thursday afternoon. They are digging it. I shooed them out with a broom so they'd know they could leave and go into the run. Then they got the hang of being chickens! Pecking around, eating some grass, pecking at dandelions, etc.

Then my husband decided we needed a waterer that was better than what we're using (the quart-jar style one). So we went to Orange Hell and bought PVC and all sorts of plumbing things, and I ordered chicken nipples (tee hee) and now we have this snazzy setup!

I will post a picture when it's light outside again - but basically, a 2-gallon food safe bucket with a spigot on the side that connects to a food safe garden/RV hose that connects to the PVC with the chicken nipples on the inside of the coop (drilled through a hole in the side).

Now he wants to figure out a feeder. He is having a lot of fun with this.

The bucket (we're going to mount it on the post soon, just didn't have the hardware handy yesterday)

The side view - you can see how the bucket connects to the piece on the outside of the coop.

The inside - sorry about the blurriness. On the bottom of the pipe are the chicken nipples (we used 2).

Lynza fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 31, 2013

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Megatron seems to be healing well, I think. does this look ok? I let her out for a bit and the sneaky bird ran to the dirt when I got distracted with the other chickens and took a dust bath :mad:. I rinsed the area once she was done, that's why it looks wet (also the fluffy part of her feathers is gray, so it looks darker when wet).

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
These new chicks are poo poo machines. Immediately, I mean 2 seconds after I pick them up one of them inevitably shits on me. It's amazing.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Megatron seems to be healing well, I think. does this look ok? I let her out for a bit and the sneaky bird ran to the dirt when I got distracted with the other chickens and took a dust bath :mad:. I rinsed the area once she was done, that's why it looks wet (also the fluffy part of her feathers is gray, so it looks darker when wet).

Chido, looks like it's healing nicely. Even with her wallowing in the dirt! Silly bird!

Edit: Is that on her back? Or under a wing? :(

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

These new chicks are poo poo machines. Immediately, I mean 2 seconds after I pick them up one of them inevitably shits on me. It's amazing.

lol you get used to it :D. Good thing is that as they get older, they tend to stop making GBS threads on you when you hold them.

I'm glad it's healing well, :3: Megatron is probably the cutest of my hens because she's always making this adorable chirping noise when you hold her and she tilts her head when she looks at you. The wound is under her wing, and you can't see it unless you lift it.

Chido fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 31, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chido posted:

lol you get used to it :D. Good thing is that as they get older, they tend to stop making GBS threads on you when you hold them..

yeah my other 3 never did it but they were a week old when we got them, these are day olds.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

yeah my other 3 never did it but they were a week old when we got them, these are day olds.

When they are little they eat more often, poop more often, everything!

Chido, that looks like it's healing very nicely! :)

The ReptiPro is purring right along with no problems, and I took the shot glass of water I had in there for humidity out because just the eggs are holding it at 45-50% humidity just by themselves. I'm opening the thing and turning eggs 5x a day, and I'll weigh the eggs & check air cell size on Monday to see how things are progressing. The first candling will be on day 7.

I will say that you have to be careful of turning the eggs on the lower rack--I find that I have to actually remove half of the eggs on that shelf, turn the ones in the back and then replace the ones I took out because there isn't room between the top shelf & bottom shelf to stick my hand back there when they are loaded with eggs. I hate to think if I was a guy with big hands instead of a female! So Bantaras, be careful--I'm a gonna be a nervous wreck by the time this is over from worrying about dropping eggs.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Zaran posted:

Kinda like how there needs to be a Queen Elizabeak. And a Kriemhild Gretchen. :black101:

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I got a free electric fence generator (?) from a friend, and bought some poultry netting to go with it. Now I can rotate my chickens around our field a bit and not get the fence trampled by the visiting sheep. Does anyone else use electric fencing for chickens?

In other news, they finally roosted last night, after 5 months! I made a movable roost from a 2x4. I guess the other ones were too close to the wall, no idea...

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Happy Easter!

Bloop wasn't really impressed with the colored eggs. Although he DID react to a neon, two-tone, iridescent plastic egg by running over and finding a cool nest spot next to the table and calling like mad. :keke:

Silly rooboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Happy Easter Goons! Here are two new baby chick photos.

Strawberry

Sunshine