Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Thank you VS for the Bloop photo Thank you Errant Gin Monks for the adorable chick photo! Happy Easter folks!

VS - question, do roosters always try to find a nesting spot for their hens? I guess what I'm asking is Bloop's behavior normal. Do all your roosters behave the same way, finding nest spots, etc.

CHIDO does Roostroyer engage in this type of behavior also?

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

He does :3:. Sometimes he squeezes into the rabbit crate to call the hoes and show them what a nice nesting spot it is... except that he's so big the hoes can't get inside with him :keke:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido posted:

He does :3:. Sometimes he squeezes into the rabbit crate to call the hoes and show them what a nice nesting spot it is... except that he's so big the hoes can't get inside with him :keke:

Picturing that in my mind :roflolmao: only because he is so HUGE! I can't believe you've had Roostroyer for almost 2 years already! WOW!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chido posted:

Ditto with Weedcat, although the hens just jam in there anyway and they all sit together all squished up and looking confused until someone struggles violently and squeezes back out like toothpaste shot from a tube.

I call it chicken telephone booth stuffing.

All my roos (especially come Spring, God help us) of all ages have found THE silliest placest to go into and call hens like mad...trash cans, the half-built rabbit hutch, cardboard boxes, the flower beds, INSIDE MY HOUSE--! And the girls always follow enthusiastically right along, 'Well, OK, herp derp!'

I'm about to place some marked eggs in the nest boxes to leave as broody hen bait, no doubt we'll see an upswing in this type of ninny-hammer behavior all around.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Ditto with Weedcat, although the hens just jam in there anyway and they all sit together all squished up and looking confused until someone struggles violently and squeezes back out like toothpaste shot from a tube.

I call it chicken telephone booth stuffing.

All my roos (especially come Spring, God help us) of all ages have found THE silliest placest to go into and call hens like mad...trash cans, the half-built rabbit hutch, cardboard boxes, the flower beds, INSIDE MY HOUSE--! And the girls always follow enthusiastically right along, 'Well, OK, herp derp!'

I'm about to place some marked eggs in the nest boxes to leave as broody hen bait, no doubt we'll see an upswing in this type of ninny-hammer behavior all around.

VS and Chido, you both have me laughing so hard I have tears rolling down my face. This is nuts, I've only met these characters on line from hatching to adulthood but I feel I know them so intimately. :h:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

A couple of pictures I took a few weeks ago at a show.

Brown Red Old English

Lemon Blue Old English

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Brown Red Old English

Lemon Blue Old English

Woah! Those are a couple of very handsome fellows. Love their ridiculously enormous tail feathers! :D

VS and Errant Gin Monks: thanks for the cute Easter chicken photos!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those are some fancy-rear end chickens. :allears:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Brown Red Old English

Lemon Blue Old English

Safe to say these aren't yard birds, then....wow, so pretty! :)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
A fascinating Easter tale for all!

I was heading to the paddock to lock up Kali and Alecto as normal just as it was getting dark. At around this time they've seen themselves into their pen and are settling down to sleep but are happy to hop out for grain or a bucket o' scraps if it's offered, and are pretty audible between their "sleepy chicken" clucks and their "food inc :D" squawks. The confusing thing was that I could hear chickens to my right, and chickens to my left. Kali and Alecto almost always hang out together, especially at bedtime. My suspicions were further confirmed when I saw to my left two fat black chicken silhouettes, and to my right one very large black chicken silhouette with a curly tail.

Sitting on a drum was one of the grotto roosters!

The grotto chickens belong to a neighbour whose yard adjoins the chicken/pony paddock. They have a large, low run covered in passionfruit vines, and are an interesting mix of breeds - there are puffy heads, feathery feet, gamey chickens, round chickens, brown chickens, black chickens, white chickens, red chickens. They don't get to free range in their yard (the owner has cats), so they're very curious and go crazy if you offer them fresh grass and bugs. Anyway, one of the roosters is a very handsome fellow with big black eyes, giant white earlobes, a big bright red comb and glossy beetle-green black feathers. And somehow he got into our paddock!

Kali and Alecto were suspicious of this intruder, giving him warning burbles and, in Kali's case, puffing up into an angry ball; I put them in their pen so they didn't do anything silly (and so they could sleep). By this time the rooster had hopped onto the fence and into our back garden, where he was definitely not allowed. I shooed him back over the fence and, by the time I'd come back to the paddock, he'd hopped over the other fence into the other neighbours' yard, the ones with the bantams.

The bantam roosters were getting very upset, but the hens were very impressed. The black rooster isn't particularly large but as far as bantams are concerned, he is a very mighty specimen indeed. He strutted up and down the length of their run, looking in vain for a way in. The hens cackled merrily as I called up their owner, who was just settling down to dinner herself. She was pretty sure it wasn't one of theirs (they have big brown hens and gamey bantams) and came out to look.

The rooster settled down in the gap between the bantam rooster pen and the bantam hen pen (some of the hens came over to sleep as close to him as they could) and was almost asleep when the bantam owner came out to have a look at him. She confirmed he didn't belong to her and we shooed him into one of the empty bantam pens. He was much too large for it but didn't seem to mind as there was an army of twitterpated bantam hens on the other side of the wire.

The plan for tomorrow is to let him out and hope he goes back home of his own accord. If he doesn't, contacting his owner is a kind of last resort tactic: she's the resident crazy cat lady and talking to her in person (she has no phone and is not answering her door right now) is an experience no one particularly relishes. As far as I can tell, the fence to her chook pen is secure, though, and the rooster is as safe as he can get, so waiting until the morning should be fine.

I'll try to get some pictures of the wandering rooster in the morning. He is really very handsome!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The plan for tomorrow is to let him out and hope he goes back home of his own accord. If he doesn't, contacting his owner is a kind of last resort tactic: she's the resident crazy cat lady and talking to her in person (she has no phone and is not answering her door right now) is an experience no one particularly relishes. As far as I can tell, the fence to her chook pen is secure, though, and the rooster is as safe as he can get, so waiting until the morning should be fine.

I'll try to get some pictures of the wandering rooster in the morning. He is really very handsome!

Post a photo of this handsome rooster! And why don't you just keep him? Sounds like his owner is crazy and wouldn't care (or even know) he was gone.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

contacting his owner is a kind of last resort tactic: she's the resident crazy cat lady and talking to her in person (she has no phone and is not answering her door right now) is an experience no one particularly relishes.

Unfortunately, you've just described two thirds of the residents in the small Florida town I live in.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Wow! After only ONE day of leaving eggs in as broody bait, we have a broody hen already! :woop:

It's Wiggles, the tiny blue mottled Belgian d'Uccle we hatched last year. :suicide:
Chances are she won't stick with it being so young, and even if she does she'd be a TEENY momma for the giagantic chicks we're planning on. So we'll see if we have the 'slapstick comic relief' option turned on during Chickam...

I'm really hoping one of the Giant Cochin girls will go over to the dark side instead.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I think Roo is broody you guys :ohdear:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido posted:

OH NOOOOO CHIDO! HEE HEEE HEEEE :roflolmao: Must see a picture of broody Roostroyer!

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Chido posted:

This is what happens when you put him into sparkly dresses.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It's Wiggles, the tiny blue mottled Belgian d'Uccle we hatched last year. :suicide:
Chances are she won't stick with it being so young, and even if she does she'd be a TEENY momma for the giagantic chicks we're planning on. So we'll see if we have the 'slapstick comic relief' option turned on during Chickam...

You speak of this as if it were a problem. :D

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I'm so angry right now. I was outside with the chickens and I asked my younger niece to grab Megatron and put her in the crate so I could let Roo out of the run. What does she do? She gets distracted trying to grab another chicken and puts Megatron on the ground. Roo mounted her and ripped off the scab, tearing the wound wide open again and only part of the scab is attached on one edge. I yelled at my niece and she said it was an accident, but for gently caress's sake, how hard is for an 11 year old to do as told before playing? And this is supposedly her chicken.

I put EMT gel on the wound and bandaged it again, and brought the crate back to my room and she'll stay here until the wound scabs over again. I really want to be harsh and tell my niece how thanks to her Megatron's healing is back to square one, and that if she cries so much and whines about tiny scratches, to imagine how Mega feels with a hole on her side, and that if Mega was her size, that hole would be like 10 inches long, and how she would feel if she had a hole that big, and her muscle exposed. I won't do it because I'm not her mom, but I certainly won't let her help me anymore, and that will get through, because she hates being excluded.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hell, I dunno. You sound a lot more patient and nicer to her than I'd have been treated if I'd done something that dumb at 11 even if you included that last bit.

Can you put stitches in a chicken? Would that help her if a vet did that?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Wow! After only ONE day of leaving eggs in as broody bait, we have a broody hen already! :woop:

Hahaha! I would love to see Wiggles trying to control 20 baby chicks! :D

Chido: So sorry to hear about Megatron. Just do what you did before and I'm sure she'll heal up again just fine. You're a good chicken mom.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I used a bit of that white tape used for wounds and bandages. I made a butterfly with it and pulled the skin closer in the middle. Because there's still some pieces of scab attached, I didn't wanna hurt her more so I didn't pull it off. The EMT gel feels sticky like honey, and I filled in the open gap with it and put more around the scab, then a nonstick gauze on top, and a wide bandage around her body to hold it in place. It's the first time i use this gel so I think I'll have to keep it bandaged until it scabs over, or else the feathers may stick to it.

Also I told her older sister to tell her I'm pretty angry right now so she can't come check on "her baby," and she hid in her room when I went downstairs to take some trash to the recycle bin. Good, at least she's aware she hosed up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So the cheeps are now about a month old and are showing some new behavior. They run around for a bit and then one will turn and fly at another one claws forward and just smash into them, knocking them down to slide a few inches across the enclosure. The knocked down one will pop up and promptly do it right back. This then turns into a frenzy of flapping and then they are all snuggled together in a big chicken feather ball.

Is this normal chicken behavior?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So the creeps are now about a month old and are showing some new behavior. They run around for a bit and then one will turn and fly at another one claws forward and just smash into them, knocking them down to slide a few inches across the enclosure. The knocked down one will pop up and promptly do it right back. This then turns into a frenzy of flapping and then they are all snuggled together in a big chicken feather ball.

Is this normal chicken behavior?

Yep, they are sparring. Chickens do that to establish the pecking order and see who's going to be the top chicken and who's gonnaa be at the bottom. Once they sort it out they'll calm down :).

It looks like this right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYB0XAKBuE

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chido posted:

Yep, they are sparring. Chickens do that to establish the pecking order and see who's going to be the top chicken and who's gonnaa be at the bottom. Once they sort it out they'll calm down :).

It looks like this right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYB0XAKBuE

Yep. A bit more flapping since their house is smaller than that room but that's about it. I hope they don't hurt the new two too much since there is a 3 week age difference, they won't be mixed together for at least 2 more weeks.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yep. A bit more flapping since their house is smaller than that room but that's about it. I hope they don't hurt the new two too much since there is a 3 week age difference, they won't be mixed together for at least 2 more weeks.

Yeah, normal. :) Wait till they start climbing up on things, lying in wait and then LEAPING onto their sister's heads while their victim screams bloody murder.

Big time chick fun.

Chido, sorry you are back to square one, dammit. Hopefully it's a learning experience for the 11 year old. Also, video of broody Roo if you can, please!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Also, video of broody Roo if you can, please!

Happy April Fools day!:)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido posted:

Happy April Fools day!:)

Awwww...I was hoping he'd stuffed into a nest box and was sweet talkin' the girlies for Spring. :saddowns: Phoenix used to do that every year....

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Awwww...I was hoping he'd stuffed into a nest box and was sweet talkin' the girlies for Spring. :saddowns: Phoenix used to do that every year....

Phoenix was such a sweet and fine roo!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Roo is too dumb to do that :downs:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

...although truly broody roos are not unheard of: http://www.chickencrossing.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3669
http://pinterest.com/pin/264938390550102492/

But usually they mother the babies more than eggs. :)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

...although truly broody roos are not unheard of: http://www.chickencrossing.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3669
http://pinterest.com/pin/264938390550102492/

But usually they mother the babies more than eggs. :)

If only I could test if Roo has brooderly instincts... :(

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I found the market report for my county sale barn auction. Look how ridiculously cheap stuff goes for.

quote:

MARKET REPORT

MARCH 30, 2013

RABBITS (206)
1.00 TO 23.00

CHICKENS (317)
.50 TO 5.25

PIGEONS (17)
3.00 TO 5.25

GUINEA (24)
10.25 TO 11.25

TURKEYS (10)
11.00 TO 16.00

DUCKS (34)
4.50 TO 13.00
GEESE (8)
10.50 TO 21.00

FEEDER PIGS (10)
34.00 TO4 5.00

GOATS

BILLY (14)
25.00 TO 75.00

NANNY (16)
22.50 TO 75.00

WETHER (3)
15.00 TO 55.00

EWE (4 - 50 TO 65LB)
1.20 TO 1.30 A LB

RAM (3 - 25 TO 55LB)
1.25 TO 2.75 A LB

LAMB (1 - 40LB)
1.40 A LB

SHEEP (3 - 85 TO 230 LB)
.10 TO .60 A LB

There was a full size royal palm tom there that went for $16! Most of the poultry being sold was already mature!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I checked Megatron's wound today... holy poo poo that EMT gel is awesome, it's already formed a thin scab and the wound looks pretty dry :neckbeard:

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

Chido posted:

I'm so angry right now. I was outside with the chickens and I asked my younger niece to grab Megatron and put her in the crate so I could let Roo out of the run. What does she do? She gets distracted trying to grab another chicken and puts Megatron on the ground. Roo mounted her and ripped off the scab, tearing the wound wide open again and only part of the scab is attached on one edge. I yelled at my niece and she said it was an accident, but for gently caress's sake, how hard is for an 11 year old to do as told before playing? And this is supposedly her chicken.

I put EMT gel on the wound and bandaged it again, and brought the crate back to my room and she'll stay here until the wound scabs over again. I really want to be harsh and tell my niece how thanks to her Megatron's healing is back to square one, and that if she cries so much and whines about tiny scratches, to imagine how Mega feels with a hole on her side, and that if Mega was her size, that hole would be like 10 inches long, and how she would feel if she had a hole that big, and her muscle exposed. I won't do it because I'm not her mom, but I certainly won't let her help me anymore, and that will get through, because she hates being excluded.

Holy poo poo don't get so mad at an 11-year-old

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

Holy poo poo don't get so mad at an 11-year-old

11 is old enough to know better than to mess around when it comes to injured animals, and it's reasonable to be upset when it resulted in Mega's wound being torn open again. She'll learn from the experience.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Serella posted:

11 is old enough to know better than to mess around when it comes to injured animals, and it's reasonable to be upset when it resulted in Mega's wound being torn open again. She'll learn from the experience.

Just ignore him, he's trying to troll. I checked his rap sheet when I read his post, so he's just trying to provoke me :).

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

Chido posted:

Just ignore him, he's trying to troll. I checked his rap sheet when I read his post, so he's just trying to provoke me :).

*she

Anyway, I'm being dead serious. Eleven years old is not actually old enough for most kids to be able to predict the consequences of their actions, especially when they're excited. Hell, most adults aren't capable of much foresight either. It's reasonable to be upset but it's definitely not reasonable to be overcome with a vicious urge to tell them how much they suck and then tell everybody how much they suck on the Internet.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

*she

Anyway, I'm being dead serious. Eleven years old is not actually old enough for most kids to be able to predict the consequences of their actions, especially when they're excited. Hell, most adults aren't capable of much foresight either. It's reasonable to be upset but it's definitely not reasonable to be overcome with a vicious urge to tell them how much they suck and then tell everybody how much they suck on the Internet.

Eight bans in the last three months. 'Nuff said.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Have I fallen into some kind of crazy universe? Is it really the act of a seasoned troll to attempt to defend an 11-year-old against being vilified by her own aunt for making a child's mistake, the mistake of a literal child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
How about this chicken thread, eh?

My girls have been outside for almost a full week now! They're finally figuring out that they're chickens, and have destroyed the grass in their run. My husband and I moved the coop (it's small and light) yesterday over a few feet so they've got fresh greens.

I started a sprout garden thinger, so I'm hoping I can give them sprouts now. I tried a few weeks ago and they were so not interested. Now that they've discovered how delightful the grass and dandelions and clover are, maybe it'll work.

So here's my question - my girls are about 7-8 weeks old now and are mostly feathered. When do I stop feeding them chick food? Do I wait until they start laying or...?