Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

You Am I posted:

Since they got rid of frameless doors crazy whistle at highway speeds

Fixed that for you.

I miss my Legacy GT. As a BMW owner (:smuggo:) I never thought I'd say that, but I really do. gently caress characterless execubarges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sofullofhate posted:

Fixed that for you.

I miss my Legacy GT. As a BMW owner (:smuggo:) I never thought I'd say that, but I really do. gently caress characterless execubarges.

You think BMWs are characterless? Try a Mercedes. :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My Outback Sport has a hood scoop and vents. Sorry you guys are poor.

You can actually unbolt the vents to get some more airflow but I don't really see the point.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My Outback Sport has a hood scoop and vents. Sorry you guys are poor.

You can actually unbolt the vents to get some more airflow but I don't really see the point.

They also leak water onto things in the engine bay if you take the covers off.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MrYenko posted:

You think BMWs are characterless? Try a Mercedes. :colbert:

It could be more like a Toyota. Just an appliance with no speed or corning and beige-ness every where.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hey, some budget cars (Toyota Corolla, etc) have more personality than the expensive luxurydouchemobiles do. There's an odd quirkyness that comes from trying to do things excessively well, but on a very tight budget. Quintuple-use armrest/"oh poo poo" handles/door handles/umbrella holders/ashtrays do require a bit of design forethought, and sometimes it's things like that giving cars more personality than a slab of wood or carbon fiber over a designed-by-robots-in-helvetica stereo/nav system button grid.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

Hey, some budget cars (Toyota Corolla, etc) have more personality than the expensive luxurydouchemobiles do. There's an odd quirkyness that comes from trying to do things excessively well, but on a very tight budget. Quintuple-use armrest/"oh poo poo" handles/door handles/umbrella holders/ashtrays do require a bit of design forethought, and sometimes it's things like that giving cars more personality than a slab of wood or carbon fiber over a designed-by-robots-in-helvetica stereo/nav system button grid.

No argument here, but he's talking about Toyota's mass market sedans which are built to be inoffensive to as many people as possible. No risks allowed. It's the definition of automotive appliance, and it sells a lot of cars. But no one's going to get enthusiastic about it...

German luxobarges at least are able to have stupid engines and ridiculous gearboxes in them, sometimes.

edit: By the way, it's been awhile since someone posted a horrible mechanical failure. I'm gonna look for something stupid on my phone. I might still have one or two.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 2, 2013

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Double Posting like a Rebel.

There's one thing I can tell you about EZouts...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It could be more like a Toyota. Just an appliance with no speed or corning and beige-ness every where.

Hey, my Toyota has cornering and no beigeness anywhere! (Not much speed, though.)

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Not entirely sure if this is the right thread for this, but here it is anyway. Something far worse than that other house that shall remain unmentioned...

quote:

I bring you this for your viewing pleasure. Constructikons and do-it-your-selfers may get an extra special kick out of this one.

So, my landlord has taken it upon himself to build a 'toolshed'. For a roto-tiller. At least, that's the entirety of what he told us - there is, however, some inherent communication issues. (He's Korean, and not yet well versed in english (though certainly much better than my Korean)). There's one door so far, and a lawnmower will not even fit through it. (I don't think he knows that yet though)

So, this is the 'project' thus far. For one, the ground it's being built is mushy moist marshland - your feet sink with every step. Which is always ideal for a good foundation - or complete lack thereof.

It may not be immediately obvious, but I don't think this man has a background in construction.
It appears he owns a hammer and saw, perhaps a measuring tape, perhaps not. Certainly nothing like a square, straightedge, or level.
I guestimate that he has seen no more than 3 episodes of various home improvement shows, and maybe at best he's driven by a construction site atleast once in his life. After all, "how hard could it be?"

Indeed.

Now, I'm fairly certain this violates several bylaws. But I have no intention of stopping this beautiful process. I want to see this abortion come to term, and will keep this thread updated as this eyesore... evolves.
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/s...l=1#post1732703
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/s...l=1#post1733445
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/s...l=1#post1733713
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/s...l=1#post1734063
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/s...l=1#post1734534
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/s...l=1#post1735835

Highlights include:

The horror...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think that goes here but goddamn! That's some uh... skilled framing work.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

kastein posted:

I think that goes here but goddamn! That's some uh... skilled framing work.

Since I don't wander over to that forum much, I'm glad it popped up here. It makes me feel better about myself, in a way that I never knew possible.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Looks better than most of the B-Huts in Afghanistan.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:stare:

Well, that certainly is something. What'd it come off of?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Legacy GT the customer said started making funny noises.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
People have a strange definition of "funny." Maybe one person's "funny" is my "horrifying."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

The engine wasn't sobbing and pleading to be put out of its misery?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Far as I know the Subaru drove here under its own power. Also,

"put it back together the customer doesn't want to do anything" :catstare:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
stuck caliper slide?
That's not too far from vane-y goodness.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Banjo bolt filter kills again. The engine won't be far behind :(

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
A 2000-ish Infiniti G35x gets towed in. The front end makes a loud and horrendous clunking noise on every turn and shook pretty hard on acceleration. I didn't have the time for any more pictures, but the both the front yoke as well as the drive shaft itself were battered into uselessness by what was left of the worn joint and had to be replaced entirely:

Common sense would indicate that there was plenty of advance warning before it got this bad, more proof that turning up the radio doesn't fix the odd noises coming from your front end.
Some people insist on learning the hard way :ughh:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 4, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Far as I know the Subaru drove here under its own power. Also,

"put it back together the customer doesn't want to do anything" :catstare:

gently caress super duties.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VidBHSEWbgA

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wish I'd gotten a shot of the other side, but..

Mechanical failure waiting to happen. Both rear wheels were / /

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Holy gently caress. "Yeah, it leans into the next lane when there's a bend in the road."

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.
The result of a tire blow out going down the drag strip, in my buddy's car:

Lost a tire at almost 130. Hit the wall, did a 540 and ended up running a 10.3 @ 113 mph while crossing the finish line with two flat tires, missing body panels, a missing wheel and facing the wrong way.

Never entered the other lane and he walked out without a scratch on him, though his back is hurting today (happened on Wednesday).

Dizman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 6, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Does the time count if he never entered the other lane?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I've always wondered that. If on the strip you hit ludicrous speed and some how end up going over the line backwards, yet traveling at plaid do the bits and pieces of your car that are maintaining momentum qualify as a full run?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I've always wondered that. If on the strip you hit ludicrous speed and some how end up going over the line backwards, yet traveling at plaid do the bits and pieces of your car that are maintaining momentum qualify as a full run?

yeah, same as a run where you lift mid-track to avoid needing a cage counts as a full run :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dizman posted:

The result of a tire blow out going down the drag strip, in my buddy's car:

Lost a tire at almost 130. Hit the wall, did a 540 and ended up running a 10.3 @ 113 mph while crossing the finish line with two flat tires, missing body panels, a missing wheel and facing the wrong way.

Never entered the other lane and he walked out without a scratch on him, though his back is hurting today (happened on Wednesday).

:stonk:

That.. really doesn't look bad at all for 130. Or 100. Or hell, 70. I'm sure it's good and hosed, but the fact that he walked out of that with nothing more than whiplash is just amazing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

some texas redneck posted:

:stonk:

That.. really doesn't look bad at all for 130. Or 100. Or hell, 70. I'm sure it's good and hosed, but the fact that he walked out of that with nothing more than whiplash is just amazing.

That car doesn't look all that hosed. Sure it looks awful because it has lost the fender and door skin, but that's purely cosmetic

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I thought the chassis was rather difficult to repair on them?

Admittedly, I really don't know poo poo about frame/chassis work. :downs: I'd just think that kind of hit would have done some :20bux: damage to the chassis.

Still looks incredible for what it went through.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

I thought the chassis was rather difficult to repair on them?

Admittedly, I really don't know poo poo about frame/chassis work. :downs: I'd just think that kind of hit would have done some :20bux: damage to the chassis.

Remember though that the shell is fiberglass; doesn't take as severe a hit to tear stuff off. Plus the whole body lifts off, so any chassis repair work would be easy access and thus somewhat cheaper... relatively speaking.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Isn't the shell bonded onto the 'frame' in a really difficult to remove way in the new cars? I know on the old ones (at least C3 and prior) it was basically a bolt on body on frame affair like a Vic.

I don't see how they could make a true unibody with a fiberglass body, so it's probably still the same, I just don't know how you separate and rebond the parts as J. Random Bodyshop.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 6, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There is a steel unibody (aluminum in the case of the C6 Z06 and ZR1). On a normal car the weight of the car sits on the suspension which goes to the springs and shock towers and the body. Corvettes don't have normal springs or shock towers though, they have a transverse leaf spring which becomes the stressed member instead of the body, so the weight of the car isn't resting on the body in the same way. So when the car gets hit in the wheel (I guess) the force is going into the leaf springs instead of the unibody.

I guess you could call the leaf springs and the drivetrain tunnel running down the middle attached to the engine and rear end the "frame".

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 6, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Isn't the shell bonded onto the 'frame' in a really difficult to remove way in the new cars? I know on the old ones (at least C3 and prior) it was basically a bolt on body on frame affair like a Vic.

I don't see how they could make a true unibody with a fiberglass body, so it's probably still the same, I just don't know how you separate and rebond the parts as J. Random Bodyshop.

Pretty sure it still is "body on frame", just nowadays the frame looks like this:

I know most Chevy dealerships can do it. Lift the car on a special low-profile lift, unbolt the body, use the lift to raise the body up, roll the chassis out and set the body down on a special cart made for the purpose.

E: See, it's even got frame rails!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
No, that's called a unibody.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Roomies FZR. He flushed the cooling system and now we get to put a new HG on it. weeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

No, that's called a unibody.
It's more like a spaceframe or a chassis with an integral cage, if it were a unibody/monocoque, it would have at least some of the outer panelwork as an integral part of the structure, and it doesn't, the body proper is non-structural.