Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Crustashio posted:

He said it should be a profile shot for online dating...

He's wrong. Pictures of guys with their cars is basically #1 on the do-not-do list. Right next to shirtless photos in bathroom mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BoostCreep posted:

He's wrong. Pictures of guys with their cars is basically #1 on the do-not-do list. Right next to shirtless photos in bathroom mirrors.

How about motorcycles? :ohdear:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BANNED USER posted:

I don't normally post, but I figured I might as well for my ride.

Nice, specs?

Tintop is the best option, well over here where I laugh at all the t-bar owners for having soaking wet interiors :newlol:

One day i'll manage to take a pic of my car that isnt a crappy cameraphone one.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Ganon posted:

But you love wagons :smith:

Is there a difference between this one and the blue one?

I still love wagons, but Audi doesn't want to bring over any more fast wagons, and the A4 just wasn't cutting it. The 2.0T is underpowered in such a large car, even with a tune. And I missed driving a manual, which the new car is. The blue S4 was a DSG, which although fun when you're banging through gears in anger, can be somewhat boring in everyday driving. It also didn't have nav, which itself isn't such a big deal, but Audi bundles nav with other features that I wished it had. Plus, I'm just not a blue car guy. This is the car I should have gotten after selling the black wagon and not messed around with the blue S4 and the white wagon in between.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DropShadow posted:

I still love wagons, but Audi doesn't want to bring over any more fast wagons, and the A4 just wasn't cutting it. The 2.0T is underpowered in such a large car, even with a tune.

200hp (and an easy 250hp with a tune) is underpowered? Geez, man. Rub it in, will ya?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

200hp (and an easy 250hp with a tune) is underpowered? Geez, man. Rub it in, will ya?

Going from a 3.0T to a 2.0T will have that effect. The 2.0T works beautifully in the B7, but the B8 with the auto is just a bit much for it. A manual transmission would have made all the difference in the white wagon, and I would have kept it, and probably gone K04 at some point.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

Generally yes, but he might be able to get away with this. He and the car are so small, with the emphasis on the landscape and receding road - the shot says to me "hey, I like having adventures"

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

DropShadow posted:

Bought this on Thursday and can't leave well enough alone.

Nice Audi stuff.jpg

God I love those wheels. I feel like if I lived in a front plate province I'd have to move if I bought something that nice and had to bolt that to the front of it though.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

blk posted:

Generally yes, but he might be able to get away with this. He and the car are so small, with the emphasis on the landscape and receding road - the shot says to me "hey, I like having adventures"

No. Do not do this.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

blk posted:

But still its a BMW in the photo. 99.9% of women don't know the difference between an E36 and an F30, so you know.... money and poo poo.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But still its a BMW in the photo. 99.9% of women don't know the difference between an E36 and an F30, so you know.... money and poo poo.

Most women I know that are impressed by BMW's are exactly the kind of woman I'd have no interest in dating, unless of course they knew the difference between an E36 and an E30.

BANNED USER
May 18, 2010

I have this real nasty habit of punching faces

anime and cars posted:

Nice, specs?

Tintop is the best option, well over here where I laugh at all the t-bar owners for having soaking wet interiors :newlol:

One day i'll manage to take a pic of my car that isnt a crappy cameraphone one.

It's a 91' and the sunroof has a new seal for it, so I'm dry all the time, besides, the Falken tires aren't really that hot in the rain so I try to keep it inside when its coming down. Engine is freshly rebuilt, previous owner had an open vaccuum line since he didn't know how to finish installing a boost gauge. It was originally an NA but the turbo conversion was already done, so I just went from there. 4 blocks and 2 MR2 pulls later, the engine is fixed and good to go, wiseco pistons, eagle rods, etc. For 500 miles she's pretty good, but then when my ct26 turbo blows, I've got to source another turbo, again. Now I've got a ct20b thrown in there, so since my last dyno I'm probably pushing about 225 to the wheels. Torque is right around 205-206, and when I get my boost controller I could easily get it up to 300. It's got a bit of a ways to go, but at least she isn't going to be crushed any time soon.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BANNED USER posted:

It's a 91' and the sunroof has a new seal for it, so I'm dry all the time, besides, the Falken tires aren't really that hot in the rain so I try to keep it inside when its coming down. Engine is freshly rebuilt, previous owner had an open vaccuum line since he didn't know how to finish installing a boost gauge. It was originally an NA but the turbo conversion was already done, so I just went from there. 4 blocks and 2 MR2 pulls later, the engine is fixed and good to go, wiseco pistons, eagle rods, etc. For 500 miles she's pretty good, but then when my ct26 turbo blows, I've got to source another turbo, again. Now I've got a ct20b thrown in there, so since my last dyno I'm probably pushing about 225 to the wheels. Torque is right around 205-206, and when I get my boost controller I could easily get it up to 300. It's got a bit of a ways to go, but at least she isn't going to be crushed any time soon.

Ahh I couldnt see the sunroof, my old '96 was a sunroof but it was so tatty cosmetically that it was cheaper to break it and buy a better condition one than get it up to scratch.

Is it a gen2 or 3 motor? Either way the CT20b is way better than a ct26 on either gen. I was gonna say that ct20bs are a bit flakey with their ceramic turbines but then i've had 3 ct20s that have been fine and one modified ct26 that had an exhaust blade shatter and took the motor with it.

If it was the na did the po upgrade to turbo calipers? I know the usdm na cars have a realy weedy brake setup compared to everywhere else.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

"I know this isn't gonna end well, but the middle part is gonna be awesome!"

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

cchhrriiss1982 posted:

I like this.

Nicer then a Trailblazer SS. My friend got a 5.3 Envoy Denali its a nice ride.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ I'd imagine its your standard GMT360 truck Saabified.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 2, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009

cchhrriiss1982 posted:

As a Saabaru owner I'm interested in what you think

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't know what it is but I absolutely love those wheels.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
They are the same wheels that the TrailBLAZER gets. They do look great:

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
For all intents and purposes it is a Trailblazer SS with SAAAAB body panels and a few SAAAAB interior pieces. I've had it for one day now, so I will reserve any analysis other than to say it drives nicer than any other american suv I have driven and it goes like stink. And the transmission will most likely blow up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

More like Trollblazer :v:

For an SUV, it doesn't look half-bad, compared to all the boxy-box body-on-frame offerings and all the blobby crossovers flooding the market. And with a 390hp LS2, isn't it the most powerful Saab ever made? (Thanks to GM V8 power)

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

cchhrriiss1982 posted:

For all intents and purposes it is a Trailblazer SS with SAAAAB body panels and a few SAAAAB interior pieces. I've had it for one day now, so I will reserve any analysis other than to say it drives nicer than any other american suv I have driven and it goes like stink. And the transmission will most likely blow up.

The Trollblazer came with your bog standard 4 speed auto. If I'm not getting the year wrong, that sucker has an LS2 in it. :unsmigghh: Enjoy your new buddies, blk.

BANNED USER
May 18, 2010

I have this real nasty habit of punching faces

anime and cars posted:

Ahh I couldnt see the sunroof, my old '96 was a sunroof but it was so tatty cosmetically that it was cheaper to break it and buy a better condition one than get it up to scratch.

Is it a gen2 or 3 motor? Either way the CT20b is way better than a ct26 on either gen. I was gonna say that ct20bs are a bit flakey with their ceramic turbines but then i've had 3 ct20s that have been fine and one modified ct26 that had an exhaust blade shatter and took the motor with it.

If it was the na did the po upgrade to turbo calipers? I know the usdm na cars have a realy weedy brake setup compared to everywhere else.

Everything is still gen 2, when I can find a gen 3 to butcher up I'll definitely do so. The engine has fresh built internals and apart from maybe needing an ecu rom flash, not much else needs to be done to it any time soon in the bay. Brakes and suspension are on the top of my to-do list.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I was joking about the profile pic, I guess it wasn't obvious. Back when I had 4 of them I held off even saying I had more than one until the second date. I haven't met a girl that has given a poo poo about what I do with cars. Usually the first response when I say motorsports is "Oh, like NASCAR?"

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Say hello to Flynn's old stang :)

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Say hello to Flynn's old stang :)

Not yours yet!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I dunno if I ever posted the finished product of my project:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

JaySB posted:

I dunno if I ever posted the finished product of my project:

I guess it looks okay (??) but that's gotta be the worst photograph man. Take again with something that isn't a camera phone and in the dark.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Octopus Magic posted:

I guess it looks okay (??) but that's gotta be the worst photograph man. Take again with something that isn't a camera phone and in the dark.

Seriously, with that old truck in the back it looks like something from the Internet K Hole.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

Seriously, with that old truck in the back it looks like something from the Internet K Hole.

So solly

Better? I care not about your tables.

MODNOTE: Well, I do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

JaySB posted:

So solly

Better? I care not about your tables.

That's a beautiful car, man. Is it a real Z28?

Nice house, too.

So, one question, why don't you have a better camera? That seriously looks like the it might have been taken by the first camera phone in existence.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The sad thing is that the car is nice, but the pictures are awful. And larger awful pictures aren't any better than small ones.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cchhrriiss1982 posted:

Its a GM 4L80E (If I recall correctly) which is about indestructible, I wouldn't be to worried.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its a GM 4L80E (If I recall correctly) which is about indestructible, I wouldn't be to worried.

Nah, it's the 4L70E - which is a slightly upgraded version of the 4L65E, which is a slightly upgraded 4L60E, which is a computer-controlled version of the 700R4 introduced in 1982. Ubiquitous, yes, but absolutely not 'indestructible', and not even in the ballpark of the 4L80E. 4L80Es only went in big trucks, it's a really large transmission that doesn't fit easily in tunnels designed around the 4L60.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I finally got my car back!

Got into a small accident before Christmas that required some bodywork. In the process of getting that done, the place the insurance company used managed to not reconnect the door to the gas cap...

Que me noticing this on one of the rare mornings I drive to work, resulting in an annoyed phone call telling them to come trailer it back and fix it (since the car was basically out of gas). Well, between trailering it off and returning it, they managed to destroy my front subframe, steering rack, and a bunch of other things. As expected, Saaburu parts turn out to be quite hard to come by, with the result being I had no car for the last three months.

And the turbo is still smoking, which is worrying me since it's only got 77k miles.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

drgitlin posted:

Well, between trailering it off and returning it, they managed to destroy my front subframe, steering rack, and a bunch of other things.

:what:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nah, it's the 4L70E - which is a slightly upgraded version of the 4L65E, which is a slightly upgraded 4L60E, which is a computer-controlled version of the 700R4 introduced in 1982. Ubiquitous, yes, but absolutely not 'indestructible', and not even in the ballpark of the 4L80E. 4L80Es only went in big trucks, it's a really large transmission that doesn't fit easily in tunnels designed around the 4L60.

I kinda figured the 6.0's all got the 4L80E treatment. Yeah, then if its related to the 4L60E it could be shitted a few times.

I stand corrected!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

drgitlin posted:

I finally got my car back!

Got into a small accident before Christmas that required some bodywork. In the process of getting that done, the place the insurance company used managed to not reconnect the door to the gas cap...

Que me noticing this on one of the rare mornings I drive to work, resulting in an annoyed phone call telling them to come trailer it back and fix it (since the car was basically out of gas). Well, between trailering it off and returning it, they managed to destroy my front subframe, steering rack, and a bunch of other things. As expected, Saaburu parts turn out to be quite hard to come by, with the result being I had no car for the last three months.

And the turbo is still smoking, which is worrying me since it's only got 77k miles.

We did the turbo on my dads WRX at about that mileage. I honestly think it was more oil getting into the intake due to him slightly (sometimes a little more than slightly) overfilling the oil. Used WRX turbos are cheap though.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

IOwnCalculus posted:

If I remember correctly, the 4L70E was right at the limits of it's torque rating in that application. When the Trailblazer SS's were really getting popular, there were always tons of posts on the TBSS forums about the the transmission's failing/exploding. Apparently combining brake stand launches with a LS2 with AWD quickly found the weak spots in the transmission.

I did have a 4L70E in a 2007 Silverado with a 6.0 and it ended up biting the dust. My GM dealership didn't even blink an eye when it was brought in (this was a tuned truck) and explained that they had been seeing alot of failed transmissions lately.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
My 6L80E has handled my 6 liter pretty well. While a bit down on hp, it is about the same torque pushing around a two ton car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

_firehawk posted:

My 6L80E has handled my 6 liter pretty well. While a bit down on hp, it is about the same torque pushing around a two ton car.

Swapping 6L80s into them is apparently a thing.

http://www.tbmsport.com/6l80gm6spdinformation.html

The 4 speeds aren't even up to handling the regular 5.3l Trailblazers with the "part time" switchable 4WD transfer cases, I think they upgraded all the 4WD TBs to 4L70s later on the model run, and the transfer cases all poo poo themselves first when you switch them over to "E4WD" anyway.

The TBSS had the LS2 and a Torsen center differential, so the trans had all the torque, all the time. :v: