Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

LateToTheParty posted:

Hey I know Dangan Ronpa is anime as gently caress but I still can't get over the fact that Kirigiri senior looks like a teenage boy despite the fact that he is probably is in his late-thirties or early forties. Come on Dangan Ronpa Zero artist I know that you can only draw anime high schoolers but can you at least give the guy some facial hair so he actually looks like a fatherly figure.

Well, he technically has to look kind of age ambiguous so it's hard to tell who Monobear is executing in the opening cutscene of DR1 (was that a student? was that someone else? etc.) So really, his boyishly young features have been Dangan Ronpa canon literally longer than anything else in the series.

edit: The first cutscene taken from the first LP for your convenience.

fake edit 2: vvvv Hahaha, that's perfect. :allears:

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

LateToTheParty posted:

Hey I know Dangan Ronpa is anime as gently caress but I still can't get over the fact that Kirigiri senior looks like a teenage boy despite the fact that he is probably is in his late-thirties or early forties. Come on Dangan Ronpa Zero artist I know that you can only draw anime high schoolers but can you at least give the guy some facial hair so he actually looks like a fatherly figure.

This was the rejected version. He posted it in his twitter a few months back.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 2, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm fine with that, as it slightly covers up the fact that this artist is unable to draw legs that aren't like tree trunks.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm fine with that, as it slightly covers up the fact that this artist is unable to draw legs that aren't like tree trunks.

Actually, I think the artist just has a bit of trouble understanding how perspective works. Hence the tree trunk legs.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

This was the rejected version. He posted it in his twitter a few months back.

Why was this rejected. Dude looks like he stepped right out of Super High School Level Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Dean of Swing posted:

Why was this rejected. Dude looks like he stepped right out of Super High School Level Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

School regulations, you can't be Nobunaga and the head master of hope academy at the same time.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

HelloWinter posted:

Actually, I think the artist just has a bit of trouble understanding how perspective works. Hence the tree trunk legs.

I'm not entirely sure about that, since if you check Mahiru's DR2 art it's the exact same issue, just less prominent.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm not entirely sure about that, since if you check Mahiru's DR2 art it's the exact same issue, just less prominent.

I also noticed it with one of the first pictures of Ryouko. It seems like the artist just ignores all anatomy under the skirt.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Kirigiri looks like a T-Rex there with those whacked out proportions.

I've also noticed that a lot of detail goes into the hands, it usually ends up looking a little strange as someone earlier mentioned Komaeda's close up. Either they have really muscular legs, or hands that could tear a phone book in half. (See: Sonia and Saionji's official art on page 1)

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 3, 2013

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
The illustrator and character artist(s) seem to focus on weird parts of their characters, for the women it's thighs, and for the men it's feet.

Throwing hands into that's... very deliberate.

(why it's almost like there's some sort of style or something)

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Waffleman_ posted:

I also noticed it with one of the first pictures of Ryouko. It seems like the artist just ignores all anatomy under the skirt.

I think that's much better than the opposite?

Like, why complain about this.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

curiousCat posted:

I think that's much better than the opposite?

Like, why complain about this.

I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant by "under the skirt"

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant by "under the skirt"

I'm pretty sure you're thinking I'm saying something I'm not? Can we get back to the actual update?

I wonder if we're going to end up getting more chapters from Jynko and Kyouko's PoVs over the entire book. I'm finding them to be a lot clearer to read than Otonashi's for obvious reasons.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

Definitely. I like Otonashi well enough, and I think she's written surprisingly well in terms of portraying her cognitive impairment from her own POV, but her POV has inevitable problems with describing objective events in a comprehensible way. That, and it's nice to see that Kirigiri and her dad did get to interact before the enskullening, even if it's unclear whether they're actually going to reconcile and Kirigiri will forget it even if they do.

It took me some getting used to her but I agree that the way the author dealt with the narrator having anterograde amnesia was pretty creative.

Any scenes with her and Matsuda are absolutely unreadable however.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of the illustrator, apparently there was some sort of April Fools picture on Spike's website with the DR2 cast. Looks like it's gone now but I was wondering what it was if anyone catched it?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

HGH posted:

Speaking of the illustrator, apparently there was some sort of April Fools picture on Spike's website with the DR2 cast. Looks like it's gone now but I was wondering what it was if anyone catched it?
It was a lineup of the cast with different hairstyles. I found a screencap of it, but the quality isn't all that great. I assume it's ok to post since it's just a straight rip from the website and doesn't have spoilers.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
Slim Monobear is... unsettling.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

That's beautiful and you are beautiful

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

Conro101 posted:

Slim Monobear is... unsettling.

Now we know why stretchy monobear was completely and utterly horrifying to think of.

The hairsyles for most of them are really good. I love Akane, Peko, and Sayonji's.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

HangedManArcana posted:

The hairsyles for most of them are really good.

It looks to me like most of them just haven't had a haircut in a while.

Though I do like Sonia with her hair up like that.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

I didn't think that Hajime's hair could get even more ridiculous, but looks like I was wrong.

HangedManArcana posted:

The hairsyles for most of them are really good. I love Akane, Peko, and Sayonji's.

I like Chiaki and Mikan's new hairstyles, as well as Gundam's pompadore and the stupidly long version of Hanamura's hair. However, does anyone know what happened to Nidai's, because it looks the same to me.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Nidai's hair's been slicked back, and yeah, Chiaki looks really nice with long hair.

Kuzuryuu's also clearly trying to steal Togami's old hairstyle, in order to establish himself as the new Togami even more.

Did they do anything with the DR1 cast, either this year or last? It'd be a shame if they missed out on the fun too.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

lotus circle posted:

It was a lineup of the cast with different hairstyles. I found a screencap of it, but the quality isn't all that great. I assume it's ok to post since it's just a straight rip from the website and doesn't have spoilers.

I think I would have rolled with these haircuts just fine, specially Hinata's. That thing could work as a lightning rod.

BigDB
Mar 21, 2013

lotus circle posted:

Nagitos and Owaris hair here is basically them after they step out of a shower or pool or something. Nanamis, Mikans, and Kuzuryuus hair really fits them. I actually wouldn't mind that being their permanent hairstyle. Hanamuras hair made me laugh though, love it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

mateo360 posted:

It looks to me like most of them just haven't had a haircut in a while.

Though I do like Sonia with her hair up like that.

Mikan's looks way better cared for then it is in the game.

BigDB posted:

Nagitos and Owaris hair here is basically them after they step out of a shower or pool or something. Nanamis, Mikans, and Kuzuryuus hair really fits them. I actually wouldn't mind that being their permanent hairstyle. Hanamuras hair made me laugh though, love it.

I like Nanami having long hair because it really fits the idea of someone obsessed with video games, which her current appearence.. Doesn't. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

lotus circle posted:

Bigger version:

Slim Monobear may be unsettling, but it's even worse when you notice that Monomi is also slim.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Bigger version:

Slim Monobear may be unsettling, but it's even worse when you notice that Monomi is also slim.

It never occured to me how green the cast's clothing tends to be; I don't think we've seen a proper school uniform have we? If we did, was it green? :v:

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
The uniform was seen last game, and it was brown, not green.

Edit:

Here it is.

RefinedUndefined fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 3, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Is it just me, or is that Nanami's hair pin in Togami's hair?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Is it just me, or is that Nanami's hair pin in Togami's hair?

It's probably just a regular hair clip. Kuzuryuu looks like a delinquent version of Naegi, by the way.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Akane projects am entirely different aura with shoulder-length hair compared to her default in game appearance.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

Akane projects am entirely different aura with shoulder-length hair compared to her default in game appearance.

The same could be said for straight-haired Nagito. (as well as Naegi-Kuzuryuu!)

Also that picture is spoilers for the bad ending where everyone lives on the island peacefully growing out/experimenting on their hair. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also looking at that image Kuzuryuu is really short being just a bit taller then Saionji and Hanamura. That along with his face probably does not help his badass image.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 3, 2013

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
He's really short at 5' 2" but Saionji and Hanamura are practically dwarfen at 4' 3" and 4' 4" respectively. Also, Nidai's chest is almost as big as Saionji is tall.

Iamyourking fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 3, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RefinedUndefined posted:

The uniform was seen last game, and it was brown, not green.

Edit:

Here it is.

Huh, guess it was just a coincidence then.

Iamyourking posted:

He's really short at 5' 2" but Saionji and Hanamura are practically dwarfen at 4' 3" and 4' 4" respectively. Also, Nidai's chest is almost as big as Saionji is tall.

Edit: For some reason I thought you meant Gundam never mind.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Haifisch posted:

Bigger version:

I wouldn't say Monomi is slim so much as pear-shaped. She'd look just like slim Monobear if not for that beer belly-like gut she's sporting there. Or is that supposed to be some insane rendition of Monomi with hips?

I also can't help but notice that Nidai's hair has Phoenix Wright written all over it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Rui Komatsuzaki (DR character designer and artist for all of that artwork) was trained as a sculptor rather than in anime/manga style art, which may explain why he draws bodies the way he does. That said, the man definitely has a thing for thighs, and was personally blamed in several interviews for the increased bust size of a large portion of the DR2 female cast.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Any chance of seeing those interviews later in the thread? The creator interview and early character designs were really interesting last thread.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The real tragedy of DR2 is that Hanamura's efforts to turn his hair into a beard will never be fully realised. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

orenronen posted:

Rui Komatsuzaki (DR character designer and artist for all of that artwork) was trained as a sculptor rather than in anime/manga style art, which may explain why he draws bodies the way he does. That said, the man definitely has a thing for thighs, and was personally blamed in several interviews for the increased bust size of a large portion of the DR2 female cast.
Makes perfect sense, considering that Asahina was pretty much the only one in DR with a noticeable bust, but for DR2, practically all the characters have a noticeable bust (sans Saionji and Koizumi) and Owari's is just... outrageous, really.

• Locked thread