Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

If someone wants to trade me something for my extra Oracle of Seasons

I'll trade you a bunch of random GBA and GBC games for that one game!

flyboi posted:

Oh god xrgb mini get here asap :saddowns:

Don't count on a composite system looking too good on the XRGB though. :\

All your other systems will look glorious, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Consider it yours... pm me to remind me of your shipping info.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Yeah, I'm aware. All my other systems are s-video so I can't hook them up at this point in time :saddowns:

Buuuuuut I have MonHun and Ni No Kuni so I'll keep myself busy

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Rescued a few things from my parent's house this weekend. This is the setup in the basement. Their house has seen better days. :smith:

If you look closely there are two NES's on the right of the TV. The black one is the one I'd left behind when I moved out. The ordinary grey one my aunt dropped off a few days prior, since it'd just been gathering dust in her closet.

Yeesh, this closet is a huge mess. Time to rescue some of this stuff. I spent a few hours on Friday night counting and cataloging the contents of the cabinet, and took home anything with a lot of monetary or sentimental value, or that would likely never see use at my folks' house. Grand total was 139 NES games and 53 SNES games So what did I take home?

Well, a bunch of controllers to begin with.

Not much to say about the Advantage or the Super Game Boy. I actually had two of the latter, so I left one there. The Sansui Joycard in the upper left is a bit of an odd duck: a controller with a headphone jack. Other than that it's a pretty typical controller with a couple of turbo switches. The banana shaped thing? I forget it's actual name but it was manufactured by Quickshot, presumably for flight sim games. It's awkward to handle and I've probably only ever used it twice at most. Then there's the Turbo Touch 360. The d-pad is touch sensitive. Not a bad idea but it's a bitch trying to press down on just one direction at a time, and the pad is sensitive enough that if some part of your thumb hovers over an area, that area activates. Bleah.

Dad and I went out to breakfast on Saturday and did a little shopping. I got the following bunch of games at Savers, along with a copy of NHL 95 for the Genesis.

Now, I didn't technically need the zapper. It turned out that there were two in the cabinet; the one I'd already been using and the one pictured below.

I don't even remember buying this. It's still in the original plastic and has definitely never been used. Couldn't bear to take it out of the box, so that one at Savers was a godsend.

As for games...

The holy quadrology. For some reason DW4 has two manuals. I also have a spare manual for Ghost Lion if anyone wants it. The catch is that you have to admit to owning Ghost Lion.

A heap of RPGs and DK3.

Lots of good stuff. The prices that Chubby Cherub and Metal Storm are going for on Amazon surprised me. Chubby is a pretty mediocre side scroller, and while Metal Storm is a pretty nifty game for introducing a new play mechanic (the gravity switcheroo) and had some pretty impressive graphics, I never remember hearing much hype surrounding it. It's also pretty hard. IIRC I've never made it past the 5th stage.

Everything that was still in the original box, including three two Color Dreams turds and Crystal Mines, and two copies of Impossible Mission II with different artwork and different companies stamped on the cover. :shrug:

The Motherload. This is just about everything that was still in its original box. Run Saber is another one that I didn't expect to be going for the prices it is, though I think I can understand why. It's easy to pick up and is a pretty awesome game with loads of fun bosses. It's short and kind of easy but a blast to play. Now I need to buy a SNES for my house.

In other news I just cannot get the cigarette stink out of the roadside TV I picked up, even after wiping it down with grill cleaner, so that's going out next trash day. On the plus side even the highest end CRTs are going for dirt cheap these days so my wife gave me the go ahead to just buy one. :frogc00l:

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Ugh I play Dark Souls for one stinkin' hour and miss out on Stone Age Gamers getting SD2SNES's back in stock. :saddowns:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Chubby cherbus main cost comes from the box or manual, i forget which. Cosmicjim was talking about it.

Amazing collection for "free" though.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
I picked up an original Xbox a few days ago for 30 bucks while I was out, I'm guessing a 1.4. Does anyone know what the best connection for it would be? I've heard the Xbox has VGA support, but I'm not really sure how that would work.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Vprisoner posted:

I picked up an original Xbox a few days ago for 30 bucks while I was out, I'm guessing a 1.4. Does anyone know what the best connection for it would be? I've heard the Xbox has VGA support, but I'm not really sure how that would work.

Component.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Thanks, time to go grab a D Terminal adapter then.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ahhh, I forgot I got the comb filter and AC adapter like 2 weeks ago. I was gonna see how well it'll work with the XRGB mini. I'll see if I can do something tonight, going to be out most of the night.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/vgm/3719565558.html

Little Samson and Flintstones Dino Peak in the same lot? If I believed it for a second, I'd be chompin at the bit

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Worth a shot, ask for pictures. Wouldn't be surprised if it was someone selling their kid's old stuff or something similar.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Thinking of grabbing this TV but it looks alot different than what the rest of you Trinitron club members have. It is the perfect fit for my entertainment center and has decent inputs (my current TV only has RF in)

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/3652379343.html

Anyone know if it's a decent TV?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

StellarX posted:

Thinking of grabbing this TV but it looks alot different than what the rest of you Trinitron club members have. It is the perfect fit for my entertainment center and has decent inputs (my current TV only has RF in)

I was looking at the same model (or a very similar one) last week at a consignment shop. $25 but decided against it because I just don't have room for a giant TV :(

I can't really speak for picture quality, but it was certainly built well. I'd say go for it as long as you can test it and nothing seems wrong.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

StellarX posted:

It's a trinitron, but an older model with curved screen and no component inputs (only 1 s-vid too).

In short, you can wait out a better TV for free.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

is there anyone in the US who sells the EverDrive 64?

I dont particularly feel like waiting for 20 days for it to ship from the Ukraine.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

is there anyone in the US who sells the EverDrive 64?

I dont particularly feel like waiting for 20 days for it to ship from the Ukraine.

Here:

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/everdrive-64

Gotta supply your own shell though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Is there an easy way of testing whether my Trinitron is 100hz or 60hz (for using light guns) without actually testing a lightgun?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

What's special about the Trinitron? Everyone here seems to have one, but I googled and can't tell what makes them different from any other 90s CRT.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I shouldn't have bought this (I don't own a Master System) but...

Almost all of this games don't seem to be played, and some of them have a little seal on the side. Fantasy Zone, Alex Kidd, Columns and R-type still have their original plastic wrap. It's there even a market for Master System games?

Lencho fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 3, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

BrainDance posted:

What's special about the Trinitron? Everyone here seems to have one, but I googled and can't tell what makes them different from any other 90s CRT.
I think it's supposed to be a higher quality picture compared to most other CRTs for it's time.

I don't have one since my retro gaming TV (a small Sanyo CRT) works just fine, so I don't plan on switching it out until I start seeing smoke coming out of the back. :shobon:

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

BrainDance posted:

As mentioned they have very good picture quality, however they're also known for their longevity, even under some poor conditions, as long as you don't get an XBR model. (Those ones are prone to having the circuitry die very easily.)

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

BrainDance posted:

I posted it before but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSPlEBbgP-A

Also I keep filling my cart on Rakuten as soon as I send off an order. :cry: at least I've got steady income.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Lencho posted:

It's there even a market for Master System games?

Not much of one and that's why it's awesome. You've already got the most expensive game on the system (Golden Axe Warrior) aside from some weird ones like Sonic USA. It's one of the cheapest systems out there to collect for.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I somehow ended up with a pretty complete collection of Michael Jackson related videogames.

I've been on a real Sega binge lately. Previously, my collection leaned heavily towards Nintendo, but I recently picked up a Sega Master System and it's been a lot of fun to collect for. I didn't own a master system as a kid and only know one person who did, but since my first console was a Game Gear, it's bringing back some memories. I've been enjoying Alex Kidd, Shinobi, R-Type, Fantasy Zone II and Time Soldiers and am currently awaiting copies of Sonic 1 and 2 to arrive from the UK, which cost me practically nothing even though they are uncommon in the US. Admittedly, there don't seem to be all that many standout games for the master system; it's home to a lot of ports that can be better played on other hardware now. I'll probably pick up Phantasy Star at some point because it's pretty much THE game the console is famous for, but so far I can't find it for a price I want to pay.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Ah, my AV scart cable for the NES finally arrived. Now I can be crap at Mega Man while actually seeing what is going on! :neckbeard:

It's composite of course, but that's still a million times better than the lovely old RF connector I had.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Lencho posted:

Almost all of this games don't seem to be played, and some of them have a little seal on the side. Fantasy Zone, Alex Kidd, Columns and R-type still have their original plastic wrap. It's there even a market for Master System games?

I'm jealous. Where'd you get all of this?

As far as the market for the SMS goes, yep, pretty much what JJJJJS said. It's at this sort of odd sweet spot because they only sold about 2 million consoles, so there aren't a whole lot of people getting nostalgic for one, but games are fairly cheap and easy to find. It's a great system if you put the original controller aside and plug in a Genesis one.

Looking back, I wonder if the lacking artwork on Master System games and cases has contributed to nobody remembering it. Nintendo's boxes and labels were often colorful and eye-catching. Sega went with this blah "pictures on top of graph paper" design and had no game label artwork, so even though the games are generally good there's nothing to display.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Looking back, I wonder if the lacking artwork on Master System games and cases has contributed to nobody remembering it. Nintendo's boxes and labels were often colorful and eye-catching. Sega went with this blah "pictures on top of graph paper" design and had no game label artwork, so even though the games are generally good there's nothing to display.

That wasn't Sega's decision. That was Tonka's, the company responsible for those steel toy dump trucks. They had the rights to handle the distribution of the Master System in the US and that hideous packaging is what they came up with.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Lencho posted:

Are you interested in selling? I've been trying to find a complete Golden Axe Warrior for a while now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Space Harrier posted:

I somehow ended up with a pretty complete collection of Michael Jackson related videogames.
You're missing Sonic the Hedgehog 3!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Space Harrier posted:

Missing Ready 2 Rumble: Round 2

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

BrainDance posted:

Trintron picture quality is very high compared to other televisions and they also have a very good comb filter setup which helps with composite video on things such as Nintendo.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

flyboi posted:

Trintron picture quality is very high compared to other televisions and they also have a very good comb filter setup which helps with composite video on things such as Nintendo.

I love my Trinitron but it's forever turned me into a Trintron guy. Was at my wife's grandpa's place for Easter this weekend and couldn't help but notice he had a 40,000in Trinitron sitting in his living room. I could fit about...an infinite amount of my 13" ones in there.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm jealous. Where'd you get all of this?

A friend got it for me from a mexican supermarket ancient surplus.

Mobius posted:

Are you interested in selling? I've been trying to find a complete Golden Axe Warrior for a while now.

Sure, every game in those pics is for sale. Gonna make a SA-MART thread soon with other stuff I got (the same friend gifted me an SNES with both International Superstar Soccer games and a shrinkwrapped FFVII).

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Today's grabs:

$2, $8 and $15 respectively.

That Dragon Quest game looks a little funny. Especially in that case. I did get an obviously pirated Tetris DS game in a similar case.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

trunkwontopen posted:

That Dragon Quest game looks a little funny. Especially in that case. I did get an obviously pirated Tetris DS game in a similar case.

Euro (and I assume Aus) DS games come in neat, clear cases.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Lencho posted:

A friend got it for me from a mexican supermarket ancient surplus.

Sure, every game in those pics is for sale. Gonna make a SA-MART thread soon with other stuff I got (the same friend gifted me an SNES with both International Superstar Soccer games and a shrinkwrapped FFVII).

Cool! Doesn't look like you have PMs, though. How can I contact you to work something out? Would prefer to do so before everything goes up on SA Mart. Those people are like vultures and beat me to the punch on everything!

Edit: I'm also interested in Summer Games.

Mobius fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 3, 2013

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Lencho posted:

I'd be very interested in buying a couple of badass looking SMS games from you. Let me know how much you'd need for these 2 shipped to 62411 and feel free to PM me anything:

Ace of Aces
Line of Fire

(I'm looking forward to the sa-mart thread, thanks! I'm very likely to buy more when the thread comes to be. drat you SMS for being so awesome)

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Space Harrier posted:

It's not retro, but you could probably add Rhythm Thief on the 3DS to that collection.

Smooth Criminal :ssh:

trunkwontopen posted:

UK DS games comes in those fat transparent cases, and a few Aussie releases get them simply because they're UK versions with a different cover in the case sleeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up a retro-bit svideo cable for the dreamcast. I've only tried it with jet grind radio but it looks really good. Definitely worth the 5 bucks

• Locked thread