Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah it took me a couple tries to but when I figured out the binds and how arcanist circles work, it got a lot easier. Likewise, I was around 25 with Wufan's 28, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ahh, I was maybe level 20-21 when I tried to fight her. :downs: Maybe that's why I didn't do so well...

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I don't even know how people are reaching that point at level 20. By the time I cleared the caves in the Scarlet Pillars, I was around 24-25 just from putting up with the random encounters.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
I'm about to fight the Titan and I'm skeered.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rangpur posted:

I don't even know how people are reaching that point at level 20. By the time I cleared the caves in the Scarlet Pillars, I was around 24-25 just from putting up with the random encounters.

Well, I've rested a couple times cause my builds sucked poo poo. That's prolly why :shobon:

I should probably do some extra quests, huh :gonk:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So how's farming rare Dream Eaters supposed to go? I try and set up Vanguard+Spotter+Power Break --> Squall Volley, but the fucker gets stronger as the battle goes by. How do I kill it?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hit it harder? There's really no secret other than maybe having some sleep accessories on. I think level 20 is a bit low to be killing Dream Eaters but I've never really tried that early in the game.

In general if you're fighting content higher than your level, a Nightseeker and some form of binding are way more useful than any other class. Blind and nerve strike are very good status effects for nullifying damage. Arm bind is a good one too for reducing attack power.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Pollyanna posted:

So how's farming rare Dream Eaters supposed to go? I try and set up Vanguard+Spotter+Power Break --> Squall Volley, but the fucker gets stronger as the battle goes by. How do I kill it?

Always attack from behind so you get a preemptive attack. Setting up is usually a bad idea on gold FOEs, especially ones with status attacks, because they always go first. If you can't kill it in 2 rounds (one being the surprise round), you're probably better off farming the non-rare version.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, is that how Rare Breeds work?

Dream Eaters are quite mean. If you've got something that can bind heads, that's helpful.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Hit it harder? There's really no secret other than maybe having some sleep accessories on. I think level 20 is a bit low to be killing Dream Eaters but I've never really tried that early in the game.

In general if you're fighting content higher than your level, a Nightseeker and some form of binding are way more useful than any other class. Blind and nerve strike are very good status effects for nullifying damage. Arm bind is a good one too for reducing attack power.

Thats a bit disingenuous since things higher level than you will resist those kinds of things more. For those things in particular, the food that gives sleep resistance is invaluable, especially since it gives a bunch of TEC.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I do Vanguard and Improved Link for my Landsknecht, Eagle Eye and Lock On for my Sniper, and Volt Rune and Runic Gleam on my Runemaster for the first two turns while my Fortress Taunts and Strike Guards. On the third turn I hit them with Electric Link, Squall Volley, and Storm Rune (Lightning when I was first doing it). That combination puts enough hurt on them to make up for the low damage in the first two turns.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Truspeaker posted:

Thats a bit disingenuous since things higher level than you will resist those kinds of things more. For those things in particular, the food that gives sleep resistance is invaluable, especially since it gives a bunch of TEC.
The actual Level parameter only factors into breaking out of status effects. That's why bosses break out so fast. In EO3, status effect chance is basically the sum of the differences between your luck and tec and the target's luck and tec, with a floor of your abilities' base rate and a ceiling 2*base rate. Luck has a hefty bonus of 2x though. The floor/ceiling is basically why some status effects are much easier to land: blind > nerve > everything else (I can't remember the rest).

You can never see enemies' stats afaik so it's hard to say if it's really that much harder on bosses/FOEs/higher level stuff, but the cute thing is that nothing can ever drop below the base accuracy of an ability. I don't know where ailment boost falls in the calculation, but this formula change was massive when they did in EO3 and what made status effects a lot nicer to use.

Not entirely sure if any of this changed going to EO4. A lot of the formulas have been the same so far, but I saw some mixed data over at GFaqs that looks like they may have messed with the base chance to hit, so they may have since EO4 is so much more debuff heavy. I'd be really surprised if they changed the status effect range though, since I've pulled off blind/nerve on stuff way above my guest levels on bosses.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So how do stats/levels matter in EO4? Is an upgrade of 2-3 attack a huge thing, or is there a major difference between fighting a boss at level 26 and level 27?

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

The actual Level parameter only factors into breaking out of status effects. That's why bosses break out so fast. In EO3, status effect chance is basically the sum of the differences between your luck and tec and the target's luck and tec, with a floor of your abilities' base rate and a ceiling 2*base rate. Luck has a hefty bonus of 2x though. The floor/ceiling is basically why some status effects are much easier to land: blind > nerve > everything else (I can't remember the rest).

You can never see enemies' stats afaik so it's hard to say if it's really that much harder on bosses/FOEs/higher level stuff, but the cute thing is that nothing can ever drop below the base accuracy of an ability. I don't know where ailment boost falls in the calculation, but this formula change was massive when they did in EO3 and what made status effects a lot nicer to use.

Not entirely sure if any of this changed going to EO4. A lot of the formulas have been the same so far, but I saw some mixed data over at GFaqs that looks like they may have messed with the base chance to hit, so they may have since EO4 is so much more debuff heavy. I'd be really surprised if they changed the status effect range though, since I've pulled off blind/nerve on stuff way above my guest levels on bosses.

I had no idea about the base chance, I was just assuming that since your stats will be lower the chance would go way down. The breakout chance is super noticeable though, and with the diminishing returns on repeat casts its still a huge pain to take on foes higher level than you.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pollyanna posted:

So how do stats/levels matter in EO4? Is an upgrade of 2-3 attack a huge thing, or is there a major difference between fighting a boss at level 26 and level 27?
Yes, they matter.

The status sheet does not lie when it comes to your base stats. The attack and defense values listed on status are meaningless though - those numbers are not used anywhere. They're basically just there to help you eyeball gear upgrades. Contribution from your stats is better than anything in the early game due to bad gear options, lack of skills and little forge slots. But as the game progresses then your gear will be more meaningful and you can pick up ATK/ELM/CRIT forges or gear that raises your HP for noticeable results. But stats will keep contributing and keep going up, so it's not something you dwell on. Levels always matter though. For things not-damage, stats and a few skills are the only ways to boost them (such as landing a status effect) so you don't have much choice there.

And yeah, I'd say even the smallest upgrades matter. Keep in mind your gear/stats decide your base damage and base mitigation. For damage, that value then goes through a series of multipliers for their final result. Armor is slightly less emphasized than damage but it's still pretty important. A character with a helm on vs a character with no helm has a pretty noticeable damage difference. But if you use a fortress, you can generally ignore armor in off-slots as the game progresses. This is basically how a Fortress contributes to party damage: but letting everyone gear for damage (especially via off-hand forges).

That said I don't think a difference of 2 levels is really that noticeable. I never noticed a significant performance drop of 2 levels after resting. Two rests back to back though, is usually noticeable if I'm swapping builds instead of upgrading. But this is all anecdotal.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 2, 2013

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Rascyc posted:

My experience has seen poison being much easier to stick on bosses than blind, but that could be due to blind being from my Nightseeker versus poison from my Arcanist.

Also haven't really played lately because having to go through stratum 3 again really annoyed me. Getting ambushed then TPK didn't help either, but ughhh I hate that spoilered thing so much

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rascyc posted:

Yes, they matter.

The status sheet does not lie when it comes to your base stats. The attack and defense values listed on status are meaningless though - those numbers are not used anywhere. They're basically just there to help you eyeball gear upgrades. Contribution from your stats is better than anything in the early game due to bad gear options, lack of skills and little forge slots. But as the game progresses then your gear will be more meaningful and you can pick up ATK/ELM/CRIT forges or gear that raises your HP for noticeable results. But stats will keep contributing and keep going up, so it's not something you dwell on. Levels always matter though. For things not-damage, stats and a few skills are the only ways to boost them (such as landing a status effect) so you don't have much choice there.

And yeah, I'd say even the smallest upgrades matter. Keep in mind your gear/stats decide your base damage and base mitigation. For damage, that value then goes through a series of multipliers for their final result. Armor is slightly less emphasized than damage but it's still pretty important. A character with a helm on vs a character with no helm has a pretty noticeable damage difference. But if you use a fortress, you can generally ignore armor in off-slots as the game progresses. This is basically how a Fortress contributes to party damage: but letting everyone gear for damage (especially via off-hand forges).

That said I don't think a difference of 2 levels is really that noticeable. I never noticed a significant performance drop of 2 levels after resting. Two rests back to back though, is usually noticeable if I'm swapping builds instead of upgrading. But this is all anecdotal.

So then is giving my Fortress/Land boots a bad idea? Should they be wearing helms instead?

My Fortress has a Mace+Armor+Shield+Boots, and she still takes a lot of damage (Line Shield, Party Shield, etc. don't mitigate much at all). If I give her a helm, will that help? What stat contributes to defense?

And I'm at the 2nd stratum(?) boss, my main problem is that it hits too hard and won't die fast enough, which is why I'm agonizing over stats 'n poo poo. I'm around level 27 so I should be able to beat it, but even with binds and circles I'm getting my rear end kicked soundly.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pollyanna posted:

So then is giving my Fortress/Land boots a bad idea? Should they be wearing helms instead?

My Fortress has a Mace+Armor+Shield+Boots, and she still takes a lot of damage (Line Shield, Party Shield, etc. don't mitigate much at all). If I give her a helm, will that help? What stat contributes to defense?

And I'm at the 2nd stratum(?) boss, my main problem is that it hits too hard and won't die fast enough, which is why I'm agonizing over stats 'n poo poo. I'm around level 27 so I should be able to beat it, but even with binds and circles I'm getting my rear end kicked soundly.
It depends what you want. Boots have the lowest armor value of any piece of armor, but give you the single biggest action speed modifier (allegedly +4 action speed). Action speed determines turn order. As a point of comparison, heavy armor is allegedly -2 action speed. You shouldn't have to worry about speed too much on your fortress early in the game, as the various guard skills have really good speed bonuses. Later in the game though, Fortress action speed does become something of an issue where some non-rare monsters will move before you can even party guard which sucks. Rather than equipping boots though, I just put on caster armor and that put a stop to that.

Your mitigation is basically the sum of all your armor pieces, divided by 3. This value is then subtracted off the enemy's base damage before multipliers. It's great at times, not so good in other times. As a footnote, damage is damage in Etrian Odyssey when it comes to mitigation; you will mitigate magical damage just as well as physical damage.

And yeah, Hollow Queen has that reputation. I'm pretty sure Hollow Queen has negative resistances for all binds, so you really should abuse that. Leg bind when you want to go on the offense, arm bind when you want to stop dimensional cut, head bind for the ice AoE. You should have the Black Mist boost too, conveniently given to you for this boss. So land the bind you want, and then black mist it. Everything else is really dependent on what party you have. NS shines here for offense thanks to Wufan/poison circle, RM is good here for defense (rank 1 ice rune+ice resistance rings from shops means you only have to worry about dimensional cut); stuff like that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I just got the baboon king quest and it was going well until he got out his rollers and oneshot my whole back line.

I guess I need to dps those rollers hard or bind his arms?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hm, I might swap my Sniper out for a Nightseeker then. I guess I'll be grinding her up tho :ohdear:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Hm, I might swap my Sniper out for a Nightseeker then. I guess I'll be grinding her up tho :ohdear:

Sniper is fine for hollow queen because of chase binds and their own binds, really. Also spotter is very good if you don't want to also have to bind legs.

I use spotter with a Squall Volley spec (which is probably bad but im bad too) because I get mad at how much squall volley misses if I don't spotter first. Plus I don't really squall volley until my landsknecht is done setting up her vanguard + link so I have time to use spotter.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 2, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zoness posted:

Sniper is fine for hollow queen because of chase binds and their own binds, really. Also spotter is very good if you don't want to also have to bind legs.

I specced her for Squall Volley :negative: Aaaaaaaa gently caress it I'll rest her.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You pretty much get the chance for one great squall volley on that fight (else it spills onto the spawns), but the damage should be pretty lethal if you somehow maxed it out. You will just need a leg bind in place first, or at least spotter+land hitting the queen once.

Really though, for your Sniper you just need like 1 point in the bind you want for that fight. I mean look at Wufan's lovely build and she's great on that fight.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Get a Nightseeker anyway because they're great, and my probably-not-that-good party was able to beat that boss thanks to the magic of being able to dish out 600+ damage from one action.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Nightseekers and Arcanists work absurdly well together. All you need is one status effect to land and then your nightseeker can be Shadow Biting for triple-quadruple digits.

Edit: Anyone know the percentages on the double weapon proc ability? It feels like 8 points isn't worth that much compared to like 4 points.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Zoness posted:

I just got the baboon king quest and it was going well until he got out his rollers and oneshot my whole back line.

I guess I need to dps those rollers hard or bind his arms?
Uggggh. I hate that guy so goddamned much. No lie, I wiped to him more often than I did any of the storyline bosses so far. If you can get an arm bind to stick, that'll work, but chances are you're fighting him as soon as the quest is available like I did so you probably don't have Ailment Boost, Spectral Cage or the skill that resets resistances. What worked for me was a Runemaster with maxed Runic Gleam launching the Fire Wall burst at the back row whenever they showed up. The rollers are weak to all elements, so scoring the ~700 damage you need to one-shot them both isn't too hard. I imagine the second level ice and fire spells would work too if you max Runic Guidance.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dragongem posted:

Edit: Anyone know the percentages on the double weapon proc ability? It feels like 8 points isn't worth that much compared to like 4 points.

According to this, a 4 pointer is 41% while 8 point is 56%

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

Uggggh. I hate that guy so goddamned much. No lie, I wiped to him more often than I did any of the storyline bosses so far. If you can get an arm bind to stick, that'll work, but chances are you're fighting him as soon as the quest is available like I did so you probably don't have Ailment Boost, Spectral Cage or the skill that resets resistances. What worked for me was a Runemaster with maxed Runic Gleam launching the Fire Wall burst at the back row whenever they showed up. The rollers are weak to all elements, so scoring the ~700 damage you need to one-shot them both isn't too hard. I imagine the second level ice and fire spells would work too if you max Runic Guidance.

What's a good level for tackling that dude then? Only 33 right now on my highest dudes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
33 is probably the bottom range for it. I did at level 35 without a runemaster, and the only trick I had up my sleeve was the Fire Wall burst+Flank arrow used by my arcanist to clear the backline, or blinding the king so the throw misses. I had like three healing throws but I was able to tank all the damage as long as I kept a defensive buff and an attack debuff up.

I only remember it was 35 because I had just cleared the 3rd stratum and re-rested to 35 to put the bushi sub on my sniper. Blood-surge flank shot was really good too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finally got past HQ. Suck on that :getin:

I'm thinking of retiring my level 30 Medic and replacing him with an Arcanist. Is Arcanist/Medic a good combination?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I run an Arcanist/Medic and just have Revive on the Arcanist since they need all the points they can get.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Beat the third boss. Got the conditional drop even though the normal one would probably have been more helpful. Still, I was presented with the opportunity so I took it. Half the party had fire available, with a rune they were still doing pretty good damage. 20,000 money is pretty helpful.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

I've gotten my party to the 4th stratum and to level 42, but everything is kicking my rear end, largely because my skill point allocation and subjob selection was terrible and most of the bosses require me to have actually useful skills to fight them instead of the terrible zero-binds, non-synergistic mishmash I have. What I'd like to do is retire the party to rebuild them with a few extra points now that I've found the skill calculator and made some not-poo poo builds for them, and I've been told the best way to do that quickly is to drop a couple of them at a time into a party of guests who can quickly obliterate golden sheep in the 2nd stratum.

I was wondering if anyone had some QR codes for 2-3 of adventurers in the low 40s level range who can wipe the gold sheep out in a round or two, so I can get my mans back into the action with minimal fuss.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The japanese site for Shin Etrian Odyssey is up:

http://ssq.atlusnet.jp/

A little barebones right now, but you can find lots of screenshots. And character art. And voice samples.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 3, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pureauthor posted:

The japanese site for Shin Etrian Odyssey is up:

http://ssq.atlusnet.jp/

A little barebones right now, but you can find lots of screenshots. And character art. And voice samples.

Wh

But April Fool's was Monday? :psyduck:

edit wait no, what is this?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 3, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The original EO director went to make his own take of Etrian Odyssey after making EO3, because he wanted to change it up a bit. They continued making EO4 under a new director, which is pretty obvious because EO4 is really not that much different from EO3 in mechanics. Anyway, Millienium Girl is that new take. It's supposed to be a more story oriented Etrian Odyssey. The original story was here: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/26/etrian-odyssey-lady-of-the-millennium-has-a-stronger-story-focus/

Anyway for those who don't want to bother with the Japanese page, Siliconera did a recap of the new stuff, including screenshots of the characters:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/03/introducing-the-explorers-in-new-etrian-odyssey-millenium-girl/

kas posted:

What I'd like to do is retire the party to rebuild them with a few extra points now that I've found the skill calculator and made some not-poo poo builds for them, and I've been told the best way to do that quickly is to drop a couple of them at a time into a party of guests who can quickly obliterate golden sheep in the 2nd stratum.
I honestly wouldn't bother retiring at 40, the gains won't be that noticeable, and retiring doesn't stack anyway so your future retire will wipe out your 40-retire. But if you want to do it, yes killing golden sheep is good. I would just clone your current party with QR codes, using a cell phone camera or something.

How does the cap on guest characters work again? You can't go above your highest level until post-game or something?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Yeah, you're unable to take on guest characters who are higher than the highest level person in your guild. Once you hit the post game, the limit gets removed.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
I must be some kind of dumbass. I'm in the second land now, and I browsed this thread adding some guild cards using QR from people that had different treasure maps than I do. I added about 8 guild cards, and they're all available when I look through my book. However, no treasure maps have been added. How do I get them to show up?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

gameday posted:

I must be some kind of dumbass. I'm in the second land now, and I browsed this thread adding some guild cards using QR from people that had different treasure maps than I do. I added about 8 guild cards, and they're all available when I look through my book. However, no treasure maps have been added. How do I get them to show up?

There should be a "Receive treasure map" option on the second page of the card I think it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Rascyc posted:

Anyway for those who don't want to bother with the Japanese page, Siliconera did a recap of the new stuff, including screenshots of the characters:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/03/introducing-the-explorers-in-new-etrian-odyssey-millenium-girl/

Good on them for branching out, but I would be hard-pressed to come up with more generic JRPG characters if I tried. I guess they're missing a "tempestuous and hot-headed woman, who secretly has the hots for [male character]" option, but probably only because they're up against the 5 character limit.

• Locked thread