Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I'm new to this thread, and I haven't read much outside of the OP, but what do you guys think of Hub City Stompers? My step sister plays with them :3: and I like their stuff a lot. She also used to play in a long dead band called Professor Plum, if any of you managed to see them. Sorry, if this is a repeat. Haven't had the chance to read the whole thread.

I grew up in central jersey so I was always around ska, but I haven't really grown to appreciate it since being stuck in North Dakota for years now without seeing a ska show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

smertrioslol posted:

I'm new to this thread, and I haven't read much outside of the OP, but what do you guys think of Hub City Stompers? My step sister plays with them :3: and I like their stuff a lot. She also used to play in a long dead band called Professor Plum, if any of you managed to see them.

Haha I saw Professor Plum like a million times in high school. RIP Birch Hill

And yeah, not entirely excited for new Streetlight based on that track. It's not bad but it's just...bland.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Youtube comments are magical. I didn't realize there was this giant, hatefuelled debate on whether or not Streetlight is actually Ska or not :geno:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Quick ask them if Rancid is ska

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Working for a radio station is the best thing.

The Streetlight album is solid. So very solid.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 4, 2013

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

EatinCake posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

I hate you.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

EatinCake posted:

You tease.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

smertrioslol posted:

I'm new to this thread, and I haven't read much outside of the OP, but what do you guys think of Hub City Stompers? My step sister plays with them :3: and I like their stuff a lot. She also used to play in a long dead band called Professor Plum, if any of you managed to see them. Sorry, if this is a repeat. Haven't had the chance to read the whole thread.

I grew up in central jersey so I was always around ska, but I haven't really grown to appreciate it since being stuck in North Dakota for years now without seeing a ska show.

I'll give you my honest report on the Hub City Stompers. Many of few punks/ska fans in my area are really into this band but I just can't get into them. I like their instrumentals quite a bit, but the lyrics just turn me off. Specifically, I always feel like they're forcing the tough guy angle and it just seems phony. Too much "we're skinheads, oi oi oi" going on. I've just always thought 2-tone should be a bit whimsical. Take "Skinhead Girl" by Bad Manners. Loads of skinhead culture references, but it's not a threatening or aggressive song.

That said, America needs more contemporary 2-tone bands so I really appreciate the Stompers for being out there and carrying on the style, even if I disagree with some of their stylistic choices.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I loving love Hub City Stompers, although the last album was pretty weak. The lyrics are the best part, they're just so over the top they're fantastic. They're badass live too.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

EatinCake posted:

I hate you so much. So, so much. Haaaaaaaaaate.

Can you leak it, please? :ohdear:

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

DOOP posted:

I hate you so much. So, so much. Haaaaaaaaaate.

Can you leak it, please? :ohdear:
I don't actually have a copy of it, just had the chance to listen.

It lacks a truly triumphant end like 1234, but makes up for it with 5+ minute songs full of horn. "Broke him down" is probably my favorite. Really fun, and it's always good to see how much this band's developed. Every song still sounds like Streetlight, but at least you can tell in the quieter bits that they're trying out different styles.

Still no official recording of Point Counterpoint/Keasby Nights. :fistwaggle:

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 4, 2013

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Previews of all the new Streetlight songs are up on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Hands-That-Thieve/dp/B00C737REU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365107264&sr=8-3&keywords=the+hands+that+thieve

The Hands That Thieve (the song) sounds AMAZING. Whoa.

Cheesegod fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 4, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
These don't actually sound good to me. I hope I like the full versions better.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...
I just got some tickets to see Streetlight Manifesto. When I mentioned this to the people in the concert booking/promoting committee I'm on, the notion of going to a Streetlight concert was laughed at and mocked. I was totally surprised. Apparently ska is universally hated and I never noticed somehow. :shrug: I've introduced ska to a number of people and have almost always had positive results with lads and ladys of every age. I even got my dad listening to it.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

guppy posted:

These don't actually sound good to me. I hope I like the full versions better.

Really? I think they sound great for the most part. Though I remember hearing samples of SITB and not liking them at first, but it became my favorite album. Also, the quality on Amazon is terrible, so that's not helping.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Between what I've heard on the Amazon sample and the Soundcloud sample, 'They Broke Him Down' is gonna be incredible.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

FoxxorTheRed posted:

I just got some tickets to see Streetlight Manifesto. When I mentioned this to the people in the concert booking/promoting committee I'm on, the notion of going to a Streetlight concert was laughed at and mocked. I was totally surprised. Apparently ska is universally hated and I never noticed somehow. :shrug: I've introduced ska to a number of people and have almost always had positive results with lads and ladys of every age. I even got my dad listening to it.

Ska's actually really funny. Think of the most fun you've ever had at a show, and it probably involves you and a bunch of strangers looking like complete fools jumping and throwing your arms around, grinning like idiots, and making horn noises.

It's a genre predicated on ridiculousness, but that at least part of the fun, right?

Also:

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Heres a video of Toh Kay playing Toe to Toe (Toh to Toh?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQd2L0lJ7Xs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Cheesegod posted:

Previews of all the new Streetlight songs are up on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Hands-That-Thieve/dp/B00C737REU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365107264&sr=8-3&keywords=the+hands+that+thieve

The Hands That Thieve (the song) sounds AMAZING. Whoa.

oh my god these all own

April 30th can't come soon enough

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Man, those all sound awesome, but I was really thinking Grandpa would be on this CD. :(

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Gabbleduck posted:

Ska's actually really funny. Think of the most fun you've ever had at a show, and it probably involves you and a bunch of strangers looking like complete fools jumping and throwing your arms around, grinning like idiots, and making horn noises.

It's a genre predicated on ridiculousness, but that at least part of the fun, right?

This is completely true; ska look like madness. But I think more so than the fact that it looks ridiculous, it's that ska isn't a socially acceptable looking ridiculous. For instance, EDM is fairly big here and EDM concert goers look equally silly dancing and glowsticking about, but that's a kind of silly that people are used to seeing and like to participate in.

Arm flailing and horn noises is the best kind of fun.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's insanely cool that Streetlight Manifesto are going to trick thousands of nerds into listening to Mariachi.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FedoraDefender420 posted:

It's insanely cool that Streetlight Manifesto are going to trick thousands of nerds into listening to Mariachi.
The Bronx already kinda did that.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

gently caress poo poo drat this album is amaaaazing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

FedoraDefender420 posted:

You say this like its a bad thing

Mariachi is cool

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

hito posted:

Man, those all sound awesome, but I was really thinking Grandpa would be on this CD. :(

Is there any kind of recording of this somewhere? All I've heard was a Toh Kay clip on youtube of him transitioning from part of Grandpa to Somewhere in the Between, and it sounded like a really great song and I'd like to hear more.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
There was a longer, ska-version fragment on some bootleg recording of a live show. Hell if I remember where to find it now, but it went in to a verse/refrain, and it sounded wonderful. :(

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
The best success I've had at trying to explain ska to someone who doesn't get it is to take them to a show. No one walks out of Reel Big Fish or Streetlight Manifesto without at least a modicum of understanding about why we all like to flail around in a circle to trumpets while a guy yells about being a huge loser (A: because it's really, really fun.)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
i've stopped trying to explain ska to people because if you can't listen to the aquabats and not just have a huge smile on your face, you're a broken human being not worth saving

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is there any kind of recording of this somewhere? All I've heard was a Toh Kay clip on youtube of him transitioning from part of Grandpa to Somewhere in the Between, and it sounded like a really great song and I'd like to hear more.

Here you go:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/665412/10%20New%20Song%202.mp3

I don't think I've heard the Toh Kay version, got a link?

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks Cheesegod, that's indeed the bootleg one I was remembering.

Here's the Toh Kay verison, although be warned it's just a very short part before it goes into Sitb.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

hito posted:

Thanks Cheesegod, that's indeed the bootleg one I was remembering.

Here's the Toh Kay verison, although be warned it's just a very short part before it goes into Sitb.

Thanks! I guess I had heard the Toh Kay version before as I apparently commented on the video.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

"Yeah, I have a split personality, he likes ska too though so he can't be all that bad."

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

FIVE IRON FRENZY IN THREE loving DAYS I AM SO JACKED UP

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

uh, yes.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Wait, Westbound Train AREN'T dead?!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

holy mother of what

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

Wait, Westbound Train AREN'T dead?!

Nope. Obi Fernandez was just doing some solo stuff I guess. He put out an album late last year that's pretty drat good. Mix of ska, reggae and soul.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szv3cWprPcQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tGKxkEBZww
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFuSOPd7snE

That show looks amazing though. I wish I could go.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Sandwolf posted:

Wait, Mephiskapheles AREN'T dead?!

Why does this have to be in NYC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

if I wasn't buying a house in a week I would be buying a plane ticket to NYC right the gently caress now.