Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

1st AD posted:

On PC the display configuration is hosed up and 1080p isn't a default resolution in that game, you have to go to some other 16:9 resolution and then 1080p will be available. On XBox, good luck as I think that game is locked at 720p or standard def.

Huh. I played it on PC with a 32" HDTV serving as the monitor, and pretty much gave up on the configuration because I am at times a lazy gently caress. It's good to know there are some options for my next playthrough, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Honestly the PC port is pretty bad and the textures are so low res that you won't see much of a difference anyways.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
ME1 in PC is kind of weird like that, IIRC you also have to restart the game after setting some of the quality parameters to their maximum value for them to become effective or set them to a high value, then restart for the maximum possible setting to become even available or something like that.

And even then some textures will still look like poo poo! :I

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008

Burning Mustache posted:

For good reason!

Honestly it did feel like a fly in an otherwise perfectly good bowl of soup... How I look at it, the whole drat thing was just perfect. They managed to defy the odds, much like one of the themes of the game, to get this solid rear end trilogy that's packed with all the good stuff that interests a person like me who's just a sucker for a decent sci-fi movies or games.

I mean three heavy, heavy games connected to each other like nothing else ever seen in the gaming industry (far as I know), that's packed to the brim with concepts that deal with space-faring technology, aliens, future weaponry (many of them a bit far-fetched but cool nevertheless), and ideas inevitable to the relationships between intergalactic civilizations. And each of them were just impressive as gently caress to me. And classic too! I figure this will be one of those games I'll just pop into my console when I feel like I want to play a goddamn game. Kinda like your favorite music album or a movie that you'll leave playing in the background when you have nothing to do and you gotta do the chores around the house.

And I just expected an ending that's all. A simple ending would've been sufficient. An ending simple and barebone enough that I can go "you know what? that Mass Effect franchise? classic." and it would've been done and done. It wouldn't give me a feeling of withdrawal from replaying the entire trilogy again, with a different Shepherd each time because I would've figured "hey, at the end of yet another of these replays will be a clean and simple ending. I'm gonna enjoy this ride again." And for me and what seems to be many others in that spoiler thread, the ending missed the mark :/ And I think all those pages there speak not for how terrible and awful the endings were, it's just that it was just bad enough to ruin what seems like once in a lifetime gaming experience, the so-close-to-being-perfect trilogy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Craig Spradlin posted:

My Shepard didn't sleep with anyone, so I can't speak to that part, but the rest of it is pretty great and really funny.

1st AD posted:

Overall though it's a very good DLC and you should definitely buy it.

morcant posted:

It really is a great DLC.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Citadel is basically Fanservice: The DLC but it's mostly good, fun fanservice.

This is what I'm talking about. Everyone just says it's really good but never explains why without me rolling my eyes at how cheesy everything sounds.

Maybe I'm just too far gone.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 4, 2013

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's funny, it's well written, it has good gameplay, it provides interesting character interactions with your party members. If you want more details, go ask in the spoiler thread.

It is cheesy and mostly gravitas free, but that's the whole point. Asking for more precise explanations is like asking why a joke is funny - if you are so hostile to the idea that Citadel is good at this point that the overwhelming majority of people who have played it telling you it is, is insufficient... then okay, it's not for you. I'm not sure why you are reading this thread.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 4, 2013

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008

morcant posted:

I know exactly what you mean - I played ME1 and ME2 in two consecutive weekends about a month ago, and went a bit slower on ME3, but still finished it about in two weeks. I thought something was buggy when I first started ME1 and couldn't get it to fit properly on my TV-monitor but then I realized - ME1 came out so long ago it wasn't in HD. :stare:

That's strange, I just started my new Femshep right after those months and the game looks... crispy? The menu interface, the Normandy, Navigator Pressly's bald dome. All surprisingly just... crispy. I'm playing this on a PS3 btw.

I would've thought all those fancy lighting effect in ME2 and especially in ME3 would spoil me silly in terms of visual presentation but I actually like the way ME 1 graphics and the menu interface are simple and neat. I also particularly prefer the Codex voice of ME1 ; so much LOUDER than ME 2 and ME3 (?!) and just, I don't know, fuckin fantastic.

And I LOVE the control configuration option where it allows you to reverse the shoulder buttons so that you can smoothly transition your control configuration from playing ME2, ME3, and then back to ME 1. :v:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

morcant posted:

I somehow ended up with a dead-eyed FemShep and kept importing her all through the series, and she actually worked really well, I think. I checked out the default FemShep and was put off immediately because, yeah, she looks like she's barely 18. :pedo:

Right, me1 had Default mshep (which was a face you COULD NOT make with the face sliders, because it was a special face (I assume from a specific model). Quickstart had both male and female, and the female one had a default first face, but it clearly *was* made from the face sliders.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

rypakal posted:

Right, me1 had Default mshep (which was a face you COULD NOT make with the face sliders, because it was a special face (I assume from a specific model). Quickstart had both male and female, and the female one had a default first face, but it clearly *was* made from the face sliders.

No, the default Femshep face is as unique as the default Manshep's, it's a unique model.
I mean, it is obviously not such a detailed model as Manshep's but in terms of how the game handles it, it is a unique model that cannot be modified, and as soon as you touch the face editor it becomes a slightly different face.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Burning Mustache posted:

No, the default Femshep face is as unique as the default Manshep's, it's a unique model.
I mean, it is obviously not such a detailed model as Manshep's but in terms of how the game handles it, it is a unique model that cannot be modified, and as soon as you touch the face editor it becomes a slightly different face.

Thanks for the correction. I never noticed this because default femshep is so close to the first face you get in the facemaker, and I could never get anywhere close with the mshep face maker.

Completely unrelated, but is there a name for that weird cut mshep has in his hair?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

sassassin posted:

This is what I'm talking about. Everyone just says it's really good but never explains why without me rolling my eyes at how cheesy everything sounds.

Most people like it because it is cheesy. It brings most of the old characters back from the other games and most of the dialog is everybody palling around and making jokes (with some hits and misses, to be expected). The enemy of the DLC is super ridiculous but it's played for laughs the whole time and not taken seriously at all. The gameplay is pretty decent, the environments are well designed, and it gives a lot of post mission fluff in hanging out with Shepard's friends, minigames, a Pinnacle Station-esque combat arena that is actually good.

I think being "too far gone" might be a part of it. I didn't like what they did with the endings and I thought the Omega DLC was overpriced and not very good but I still like Mass Effect enough and I was satisfied with the DLC. I don't think an entire game of just Citadel DLC style cheese would be that great but I appreciated the final sendoff for Shepard and crew to be something light hearted and character oriented.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

rypakal posted:

Completely unrelated, but is there a name for that weird cut mshep has in his hair?

A scar?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

I used to know a guy who had the exact same cut in his hair. I thought maybe it was something people did when they had that very short buzz cut. But scar works for me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sassassin posted:

The way I see it is like this. If the "Citadel" content was part of the game as it was released it probably would have been just as funny but so completely out of place as to be nonsensical. The things you get up to in Citadel are far more appropriate for the setting in ME2 then during a literal galaxy-ending war.

But along came the endings, both the original and extended. That wasn't how I wanted to leave Shepard's Mass Effect games. I could have left it with something like it, but the execution of both version just left me empty. So BioWare needed to do something pretty upbeat and crazy to get me back on board. In terms of the tone "Citadel" takes it is something that simply does not belong in ME3. The Reapers and Cerberus are barely even mentioned. Not a single one of your companions seem to care that millions of people, possibly even their loved ones, are being vaporized, turned into quasi-living weapons, or broken down into their component parts.

It was exactly what I needed to play. If I had played it before seeing the endings I would have guffawed at the jokes and situations but ultimately written it off as pointless fan service completely at odds with what ME3 was supposed to be or trying to be.

So if you're anything like me, didn't like the endings at all and were emotionally invested in Mass Effect and its characters perhaps slightly too much, "Citadel" may just be the thing you need so you can look back at ME3 and smile. If you didn't mind the endings and felt ME3 concluded to a satisfactory degree, "Citadel" probably won't do much for you.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Kibayasu posted:

But along came the endings, both the original and extended. That wasn't how I wanted to leave Shepard's Mass Effect games. I could have left it with something like it, but the execution of both version just left me empty. So BioWare needed to do something pretty upbeat and crazy to get me back on board. In terms of the tone "Citadel" takes it is something that simply does not belong in ME3. The Reapers and Cerberus are barely even mentioned. Not a single one of your companions seem to care that millions of people, possibly even their loved ones, are being vaporized, turned into quasi-living weapons, or broken down into their component parts.

That's why you don't do any Citadel stuff, then finish the game, pick destroy, then go back and do Citadel and just ignore everything about the actual end you didn't like! :haw:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

sassassin posted:

Citadel is a celebration of Shepard and his/her squadmates, and the whole thing is just one continuous feelgood experience - a few bittersweet scenes notwithstanding. It feels like a grandiose farewell to the series and you'd have to be a pretty boring stick-in-the-mud not to enjoy it.

Kibayasu posted:

If you didn't mind the endings and felt ME3 concluded to a satisfactory degree, "Citadel" probably won't do much for you.
I made my peace with ME3's finale when they released the EC, and felt sufficiently satisfied not to hold a lasting grudge or refrain from playing any ME game ever again, yet I'm still very grateful for Citadel. ME3's ending now leaves me content, but Citadel leaves me happy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

That's why you don't do any Citadel stuff, then finish the game, pick destroy, then go back and do Citadel and just ignore everything about the actual end you didn't like! :haw:

Exactly. That's basically what I was getting at (and what I did, just not on purpose since I beat the game... man, nearly a year ago). "Citadel" really isn't something that makes the vanilla game better (beyond some things that help some base mechanics) or helps the story like Leviathan supposedly does (haven't played it myself) but I wouldn't have liked "Citadel" as much as I did without not liking the original endings. Or even without the base of ME3 to go on since for all the end of ME3 got wrong I truly believe it did the characters and all the relationships it managed to include justice.

I don't really know if all of this is a good thing, a bad thing, neither, or if I'm just falling for stupid fan service in a video game where I roleplayed as a character of my opposite gender who sexed up a lizard-bird man thing :v:

Sombrerotron posted:

I made my peace with ME3's finale when they released the EC, and felt sufficiently satisfied not to hold a lasting grudge or refrain from playing any ME game ever again, yet I'm still very grateful for Citadel. ME3's ending now leaves me content, but Citadel leaves me happy.

And on second thought, my "probably" was a bit too general for everybody. There is certainly a lot to like in "Citadel" if you don't mind the complete tonal shift from the main game. I personally just couldn't accept it. Imagine (late main game and "Citadel" spoilers) doing Thessia then having the party or going dancing with Garrus. My literary :spergin: would just hate that.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

There is certainly a lot to like in "Citadel" if you don't mind the complete tonal shift from the main game. I personally just couldn't accept it. Imagine (late main game and "Citadel" spoilers) doing Thessia then having the party or going dancing with Garrus. My literary :spergin: would just hate that.
Certainly, which is why I think Citadel works best as a goodbye to the entire series.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
People keep mentioning that you can do it after Destroy to make your own favourite ending. Are the Reapers mentioned at all? Because if so MY IMMERSION!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Hallowed posted:

People keep mentioning that you can do it after Destroy to make your own favourite ending. Are the Reapers mentioned at all? Because if so MY IMMERSION!
The Reapers and the war are mentioned/alluded to a few times.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Kibayasu posted:

helps the story like Leviathan supposedly does (haven't played it myself)

I had the great fortune to have Leviathan be advised by a friend as a DLC to play before beating the game, and Citadel to be played after. I'm really glad to have followed his suggestions on both of those, particularly with the shift in tone for Citadel several people have mentioned.

Let me just say that if you are into buying DLC at all, Leviathan is the way go, and I definitely recommend playing it before the end of ME3 if at all possible. I can't really imagine going into the ending and having everything about the Intelligence and the origin of the Reapers explained to me by the stupid Starchild. I never liked that kid throughout the game - how many squadmates and loved ones has Shepard seen die, and yet she fixates on this one kid? It felt totally tropey, to coin a dumb word, and I wasn't a fan. Leviathan helped soften that considerably for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, playing Citadel AFTER the proper ending of the game just felt like a nice palate cleanser, it doesn't fit with the tone of the rest of the game but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

I also feel like Shepard's closing lines before the end of the DLC is the perfect :unsmith: ending - it's like saying goodbye to the series, essentially.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.
It went a long way toward redeeming the half-assed ending for me. I just wish that they'd explicitly made it an epilogue instead of "hey let's party down then go kill Reapers", though I know that's not possible given all the ending scenarios. I also wish I could use multiplayer characters in the combat simulator, because I don't have Xbox Live Gold and would like to actually experiment with all the different multiplayer builds.

Still, the missions were fun, and the sequence with Traynor's toothbrush might be the funniest thing in the entire trilogy.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Hallowed posted:

Wait whaaaaaat? Are we talking about finishing the final mission and then doing the reload to pre-Cerberus base to finish Citadel?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Wait whaaaaaat? Are we talking about finishing the final mission and then doing the reload to pre-Cerberus base to finish Citadel?

Yes, but the plot of Citadel is so disconnected from the rest of ME3 you can almost, almost, pretend it happens after the (ending spoiler) best Destroy ending where Shepard lives.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What are the opinions on Omega? Leviathan is highly relevant story-wise, and Citadel is fun overall. All I know about Omega is that it involves a couch.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Elysiume posted:

What are the opinions on Omega? Leviathan is highly relevant story-wise, and Citadel is fun overall. All I know about Omega is that it involves a couch.

Fun combat. New enemies. Good characters. An enjoyable few hours. Not remotely related to story or lore.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Overpriced, decent combat, entirely skippable.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Elysiume posted:

I enjoyed Omega but wouldn't really argue with the most common complaint, that it would have gone over better in general if it was $10 instead of $15.

I felt I got my moneys worth, but can see how some people wouldn't. It's combat heavy which I'm sure makes peoples experiences pretty different - my first play through took around the couple of hours Bioware said it would, but a Vanguard can pretty easily tear their way through it at high speed.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

1st AD posted:

Overpriced, decent combat, entirely skippable.

On the other hand, you get to save the best couch in the universe.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Elysiume posted:

It gives you access to Flare, the most hilariously overpowered ability in the entire series. I thought that the combat was worth the admission price, but it was kind of offset by everything involving Aria.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Nyreen is one of the cooler DLC-only supporting characters in the Mass Effect series, I have to say.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kibayasu posted:

So if you're anything like me, didn't like the endings at all and were emotionally invested in Mass Effect and its characters perhaps slightly too much, "Citadel" may just be the thing you need so you can look back at ME3 and smile. If you didn't mind the endings and felt ME3 concluded to a satisfactory degree, "Citadel" probably won't do much for you.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm actually one of the people who didn't find the endings to be light years worse than the rest of the game (they are bad, though, and no better in the extended). The 'celebration of Shepard and his/her squadmates' is already laid on pretty thick in the base game imo, so Citadel probably isn't gong to entertain me all that much.

I might appreciate more content for a few of the ME2 cast that got overlooked, but the appeal of Garrus/Tali etc. has long been worn away by in-jokes and call-backs (and Wrex is always dead).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hey, look everyone, this guy hates fun!

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Elysiume posted:

It's not terrible but the biggest thing that usually comes up is whether or not it was worth their price point and my opinion is no although a lot of people around here seemed to like it more than I did. 10 bucks would have been better than 15. It's basically another 2.5 hours of Cerberus combat with one new enemy put into the mix that is probably supposed to be harder than it actually is. There's another new enemy that's hyped up as a fearsome opponent before you ever see it but it fails pretty badly at living up to it thanks to appearing only in two sections and also being much easier than it should be to kill. Character wise, Aria suffers from lifeless voice acting but is a suitably powerful combatant. Nyreen is pretty cool but also kind of obviously only exists to provide a contrast to Aria for the sake of Shepard's morality system, and she sits half of the DLC out on the sidelines which is not cool. The villain strangely gets little screen time. There's a pretty bro level batarian minor character too, to the point where I wish he was a squad member. The map design boasts some pretty impressive vistas. It's not bad but it's skippable.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If you have any experience with multiplayer, the supposedly tougher combat in Omega is still a complete pushover.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The_Doctor posted:

Hey, look everyone, this guy hates fun!

Any you like Doctor Who. We've both got our problems.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

UnknownMercenary posted:

If you have any experience with multiplayer, the supposedly tougher combat in Omega is still a complete pushover.

It's a pushover regardless of whether or not you've done multiplayer :haw:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Flare is the best bonus power. It's so powerful, it's hilarious. Omega was worth it for that alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

I thought Omega's actually easier than most of ME3, but the pacing seemed much better to me - much more fighting while moving forward, rather than having to complete one arena-type area after another. Omega's maps are gigantic and chock-full of detail, too, which I found very helpful in alleviating any boredom as well. Lots of gorgeously lit, directed, and animated cutscenes as well.

• Locked thread