Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

zari-gani posted:

There's a series on Youtube called "You Can Play This" that's all about that. They cover all consoles, but there's a lot of Famicom.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2623B0CF29C34A33

Thanks for this, I'm going to check into some of this stuff.

So, after a month or so of pleading, and finally getting my grubby mitts on an AV Famicom, my wife has given me permission to order an Everdrive N8. Unfortunately, she's frugal and confident in my ability to repurpose a Famicom shell, so the hyper-fancy SAG "Deluxe Edition" is off the table. Unfortunately it appears that both places I know of to purchase it are out-of-stock. This is going to be my first flash cart for something other than a portable system. I'm sort of psyched, but also stupidly impatient.

Does anyone who reads other forums know if/when SAG plans on getting more boards in (that aren't for Deluxe orders), or am I better off just ordering direct despite the "BACK ORDERED" status?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

shymog posted:

Thanks for this, I'm going to check into some of this stuff.

So, after a month or so of pleading, and finally getting my grubby mitts on an AV Famicom, my wife has given me permission to order an Everdrive N8. Unfortunately, she's frugal and confident in my ability to repurpose a Famicom shell, so the hyper-fancy SAG "Deluxe Edition" is off the table. Unfortunately it appears that both places I know of to purchase it are out-of-stock. This is going to be my first flash cart for something other than a portable system. I'm sort of psyched, but also stupidly impatient.

Does anyone who reads other forums know if/when SAG plans on getting more boards in (that aren't for Deluxe orders), or am I better off just ordering direct despite the "BACK ORDERED" status?

Get it from Retrogate. SAG's gonna be designating boards for deluxe editions for a bit and KRIKzz usually fulfills backorders in a week or two, which is faster than it'd be waiting on stock from somewhere else. If he doesn't expect to be able to fulfill orders for something soon, it gets marked as being out of stock (like the Super Everdrive is right now).

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Kreeblah posted:

Get it from Retrogate. SAG's gonna be designating boards for deluxe editions for a bit and KRIKzz usually fulfills backorders in a week or two, which is faster than it'd be waiting on stock from somewhere else. If he doesn't expect to be able to fulfill orders for something soon, it gets marked as being out of stock (like the Super Everdrive is right now).

Ordered. Now I need a safe method of inducing a coma for approximately 6-8 weeks. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

My Saturn is here. :neckbeard:

None of the games have arrived yet, though, so all I could do to test it right now was to try out the amazing 90s-tastic CD player (should probably have dug up my mid-90s CD collection for that to get the full effect :v:). Everything seems to be in working order, the only thing that kinda sucks is the cheap and plastic-y third party controller.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
My Japanese based retro collection just got a little bigger. A patron at a pub I frequent is moving to American and wanted their consoles to go to a good home.

And what's inside the PSX?

Random generated dungeon fun!

There's also a PS2 and N64 + games for all systems coming my way next week. I have no clue what though.

Not the first time something like this has happened either. Goes to show if you let people around you know you have a problem hobby, good things can come your way.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

MediumWellDone posted:

And what's inside the PSX?

Random generated dungeon fun!

Nice! I have the American version and it's a lot of fun. I stopped playing after accidentally putting an elemental enchantment on my sword, which made it utterly worthless against a bunch of different types of monsters. Kinda curious to start it up again from scratch now.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Oh okay. I just remember the Everdrive used a different type of flash than the Mega Everdrive or something. The better one loads faster and isn't supposed to have limited writes or something, I forget.

That was actually the change of the controller - the Everdrive MD has a slower FPGA the Altera Max 2 and slower flash memory.

Both the Mega Everdrive and the N8 use the Altera Cyclone 2 which is a faster and larger FPGA which allows for the os to operate much higher for quicker loading and the flash memory is much quicker for writing.

Also the earlier flash carts used DRAM due to the cheapness of it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_random-access_memory

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Hi, here's my current game collection. The SAG products may be pricy but I'll be damned if they aren't beautiful.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The sticker matching for your drawers is a nice touch.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know the best way to determine what a large collection of old games is worth? I have somewhere between 160-180 NES games in the original boxes (most with manuals, some without) in a range of conditions from "falling apart" to "I never played this game". Ebay is difficult because 99% of the auctions I see are just the cartridges, but I guess that sets a lower limit. Unfortunately I don't have any of the super-rare 10000 dollar games, but I have some uncommon ones like final fantasy with all the manuals, complete set of the megaman games, bubble bobble, etc, with the majority of the rest being fairly common and popular. I also have some non-game stuff like the top loader NES and some wireless controllers that were/are so terrible we used them once and put them back in the box where they still sit collecting dust. Also a giant bag full of nintendo power magazines, but I doubt they have much value. I think selling all of it at once would be the best (I assume the fact the collection is fairly large adds some value to it beyond just the sum of the individual prices, but I could be wrong), but documenting the condition of everything for ebay would be a nightmare. Part of me wants to hang onto it for nostalgia, but I doubt the value of it is going to go up much in the future and it takes up so much space. Any suggestions?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So I found something at Goodwill today.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

iastudent posted:

Early 3D is adorable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzLrYw4dowA

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask

There is no "best way". Pricecharting does an OK job of listing old auctions for you to take a look through. Like any other hobby based around collecting values can change and you basically get a feel for value/worth over time.

"I assume the fact the collection is fairly large adds some value to it beyond just the sum of the individual prices" - Dead wrong. You would typically get more money from people hunting for specific games. Common games should be bundled to sell to new collectors; rarer titles should be listed separately.

That said, get ready for the deluge of PM's. If I was you I'd get hold of a rarity guide from DigitPress (although they are a little out of date, it's a good benchmark) and throw up an SA-Mart thread. I know I'd be interested in some.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Murphy Brownback posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know the best way to determine what a large collection of old games is worth? I have somewhere between 160-180 NES games in the original boxes (most with manuals, some without) in a range of conditions from "falling apart" to "I never played this game". Ebay is difficult because 99% of the auctions I see are just the cartridges, but I guess that sets a lower limit. Unfortunately I don't have any of the super-rare 10000 dollar games, but I have some uncommon ones like final fantasy with all the manuals, complete set of the megaman games, bubble bobble, etc, with the majority of the rest being fairly common and popular. I also have some non-game stuff like the top loader NES and some wireless controllers that were/are so terrible we used them once and put them back in the box where they still sit collecting dust. Also a giant bag full of nintendo power magazines, but I doubt they have much value. I think selling all of it at once would be the best (I assume the fact the collection is fairly large adds some value to it beyond just the sum of the individual prices, but I could be wrong), but documenting the condition of everything for ebay would be a nightmare. Part of me wants to hang onto it for nostalgia, but I doubt the value of it is going to go up much in the future and it takes up so much space. Any suggestions?

If you're really lazy, just take pictures of the best stuff and we can probably do some estimates. At least give us an better idea of what you have and if you sell in SAmart, most goons like to do big bundles and you won't have to worry about ebay fees/listings.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

I think selling all of it at once would be the best (I assume the fact the collection is fairly large adds some value to it beyond just the sum of the individual prices, but I could be wrong), but documenting the condition of everything for ebay would be a nightmare.

It's actually the opposite. If you try to sell everything in one lot, you'll get less.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

fatpat268 posted:

It's actually the opposite. If you try to sell everything in one lot, you'll get less.

Totally agreed. There's also the common sense/lazy portion of it when it comes to weighing multiple lots vs one or 2 big ones. Sure you'll make more money splitting it all up, but it's light years easier to ship 1 or 2 ginormous boxes vs 75+ teeny tiny ones spread out over the course of a week or 2.

My mouth is already watering over the thought of a massive NES thread on SA-Mart. Looking foward to it!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ineffiable posted:

If you're really lazy, just take pictures of the best stuff and we can probably do some estimates. At least give us an better idea of what you have and if you sell in SAmart, most goons like to do big bundles and you won't have to worry about ebay fees/listings.

Ok, thanks. Next time I go home I'll take some pictures and make a thread at some point. And yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking with the selling as a lot vs individually thing. I'll definitely piece it out, at least for the rarer ones. The Mega Man 1-6 set is probably the most valuable, although the box for the first one is beat to hell - the rest are near mint condition. I'll at least get a list together, but most of the details will have to wait until I can get pictures and go through everything again.

e: I went through a list of all the NES games and made a list of the ones I know for sure I have. I didn't list the ones I wasn't too sure about - it's hard to remember how many parts of a series I have, etc, so for those I just put the first one in the series. http://pastebin.com/96bpB18a So, a total of 177 games (+1 aladdin game, 1 game genie) that I can remember, probably close to 200 once I get back and see the ones I forgot about, all in the boxes+dust jacket thing, estimate 2/3 with manuals.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 5, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I currently own a PAL SNES (1-Chip, whatever the good video one is), unfortunately those can't be modded to run 60Hz. Since I'm going to Japan next month, I plan on buying an SFC there. Do they come in 1-Chip variants as well? If so, what should I look for? And am I assuming correctly that they will take US cartridges if I change the cartridge slot (or just use one of those adapter things)? I speak Japanese but not well enough to get through RPGs etc. yet, so I'd like to be able to play US games as well.

Secondly, I'm going to get an AV Famicom, a Disk System (as well as a regular Famicom for display purposes). Do those take US games with that pin adapter as well?

Thirdly, PYF thing-you-would-love-to-buy-in-Japan, I need inspriration. :haw:

Last, if you don't follow international news, Japan has decided to pump a lot more money into their economy to combat the deflation of the Yen, which means it will get cheaper. This has happened a few months ago already and took 1€ from 102 Yen to 124. It's currently at 126 Yen for a Euro so if you have any purchases planned, wait a few days and see where it goes. The fact that my vacation money has risen in value by something like 25% in the last months is ridiculous.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 5, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fatpat268 posted:

I downloaded the inserts off thecoverproject.com and printed them myself using a photo printer and photo paper. Alternatively, if you don't have a good printer, you may be able to get the covers printed at Staples, but I'm not sure what kind of paper they'd use.

The cases, I bought them here: http://www.genesysdtp.com/index.htm?nintendodscasedetails.htm

One caveat with those cases though, you have to cut a little plastic on the top portion of the gba slot. You just have to cut it down so it's mostly flush with the rest of the case. A decent pair of diagonal cutters can do each case in 1 minute or less.

Good stuff! Right after I asked that I googled it and found that Nintendo sells them for 10/$7, though I'm not sure if they have the GBA slot in the top. I work at Walgreens so the print should be p easy :)

edit:

iastudent posted:

I found this at the Salvation Army for $3 :3:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 5, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

I currently own a PAL SNES (1-Chip, whatever the good video one is), unfortunately those can't be modded to run 60Hz. Since I'm going to Japan next month, I plan on buying an SFC there. Do they come in 1-Chip variants as well? If so, what should I look for? And am I assuming correctly that they will take US cartridges if I change the cartridge slot (or just use one of those adapter things)? I speak Japanese but not well enough to get through RPGs etc. yet, so I'd like to be able to play US games as well.

Secondly, I'm going to get an AV Famicom, a Disk System (as well as a regular Famicom for display purposes). Do those take US games with that pin adapter as well?

There are 2-chip and 1-chip Super Famicoms and they're kind of the same as every other model; you're guaranteed to get one if you buy a Super Famicom Jr., you need a third-generation "classic" model to get a 1chip.

The pin-outs on all Super Famicom/SNESes are the same, what changes is the plastic slot. Unfortunately, the Japanese/European cartridge slot isn't wide enough to accomodate North American games and there isn't a good way to mod it, but I think some passthrough cartridges exist which is all you would need.

The Famicoms require a pin converter and 72-to-60-pin ones are hard to come by (but do exist). This is all you need for that, but the only consistently available one is one sold on Stone Age Gamer that apparently only works on classic Famicoms for some reason.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
^^ S-video looks better on the old 2-chips to me (slightly, mostly due to being brighter). If there's any way to tell a 2-chip from a 1-chip on the outside of the SFC I'd like to know.

MediumWellDone posted:

My Japanese based retro collection just got a little bigger. A patron at a pub I frequent is moving to American and wanted their consoles to go to a good home.

If you ever feel like getting rid of the Twilight Princess, let me know~

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

univbee posted:

There are 2-chip and 1-chip Super Famicoms and they're kind of the same as every other model; you're guaranteed to get one if you buy a Super Famicom Jr., you need a third-generation "classic" model to get a 1chip.

SNES Jr. is out because you need to mod those for RGB output (:effort:/:retrogames:) whereas the reglar SFCs support it out of the box. You can distinguish 1-CHIP and 2-CHIP PAL SNES by the stickers on their back so I thought maybe that's the case for SFCs as well.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Actually it is, 1chips apparently say "SVHC-JPN-1" in small in the corner, and have a slightly different sticker design.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Tusen Takk posted:

Good stuff! Right after I asked that I googled it and found that Nintendo sells them for 10/$7, though I'm not sure if they have the GBA slot in the top. I work at Walgreens so the print should be p easy :)

Nintendo only sells their eco cases now. They removed the gba slot in that variant.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

univbee posted:

Actually it is, 1chips apparently say "SVHC-JPN-1" in small in the corner, and have a slightly different sticker design.

You just saved me a huge headache, thanks man. There's no way to have a 1-CHIP PAL SNES that runs on 60Hz, so getting one of those SVHC-JPN-1 means I have one for jp/us games and keep my SNES for EU games. :toot:

vvv Just noticed it should be deflation, not inflation. And Yen/$ parity seems to be a matter of days right now. vvv

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

Last, if you don't follow international news, Japan has decided to pump a lot more money into their economy to combat the inflation of the Yen, which means it will get cheaper. This has happened a few months ago already and took 1€ from 102 Yen to 124. It's currently at 126 Yen for a Euro so if you have any purchases planned, wait a few days and see where it goes. The fact that my vacation money has risen in value by something like 25% in the last months is ridiculous.

C'mon $1 = 100 yen, you're so close...

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

So, I went to go see the Protomen last night. The opening act was a group called Mail Order Monsters, and it was quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen. They somehow wired up modified Commodore 64s through the keyboards and put on a really awesome, fun show using nothing but the sound processing hardware of the C64 and a vocoder.

I kind of want to see if I can get my fiancé to let me hire them for our wedding.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
I can't remember the last time I tested out the N64, but it looks like I've got some checkerboarding:

In any normal case, I would've just gotten better cables and that would've been the end of it. But this one's an RGB mod from a couple years ago, and it apparently just didn't like the scart cable I use for my SNES. Has anyone else had this problem with an RGB mod? I'm not really sure what kind of scart cables would be best in this case.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I could have sworn that was how N64 is meant to look.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Due to lovely financial circumstances I'm going to be selling my EVO Search for Eden cart. I'd rather avoid ebay so I figured I would post in here first to see if there is any interest.

Cart and labels are in excellent shape. The shell was recently disassembled so I could clean the contacts and the battery still works. My snes is currently packed away so I can't grab a screenshot right this minute but I would be willing to do so to verify that the battery functions for any potential buyer.

As much as I love you guys I can't afford to let this go cheap but I'm definitely willing to entertain offers! PM me or use my gmail: internetwhat

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 6, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
That is an accurate representation of a RGB modded N64 in my experience. Anything clearer would obviously be an emulator.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Katana Gomai posted:

Satellaview. Pick me one up while you're there, thx

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
It's possible to get rid of checkerboarding with the right kind of cable in the case of S-video (normally S-video/RCA only without additional composite out), so I assumed it could be solved in the same sort of way with RGB.

If there's really nothing that can be done about that then it's fine. I generally just emulate N64 since I definitely remember the console itself giving me a hard time.

At least the SNES/Genesis on the XRGB mini look fantastic.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Murphy Brownback posted:

e: I went through a list of all the NES games and made a list of the ones I know for sure I have. I didn't list the ones I wasn't too sure about - it's hard to remember how many parts of a series I have, etc, so for those I just put the first one in the series. http://pastebin.com/96bpB18a So, a total of 177 games (+1 aladdin game, 1 game genie) that I can remember, probably close to 200 once I get back and see the ones I forgot about, all in the boxes+dust jacket thing, estimate 2/3 with manuals.

If you'd like to help me fill in some gaps in my collection I'd love to buy these off you:

Adventures of Lolo 2
Double Dare
Raid on Bungeling Bay
WURM

I probably won't check thread or pms until I get home from work tonight.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Murphy Brownback posted:

Ok, thanks. Next time I go home I'll take some pictures and make a thread at some point. And yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking with the selling as a lot vs individually thing. I'll definitely piece it out, at least for the rarer ones. The Mega Man 1-6 set is probably the most valuable, although the box for the first one is beat to hell - the rest are near mint condition. I'll at least get a list together, but most of the details will have to wait until I can get pictures and go through everything again.

I'd be happy to take this to SA Mart, but I'd be interested in:

Blaster Master
Bionic Commando
Bad Dudes
Faxanadu
Shatterhand
Maybe Battletoads too?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Katana Gomai posted:

They do, but I've found that the 1CHIP-03 SFC I have doesn't output RGB for some reason, whereas my 1CHIP-01 does. It may be specific to my specific unit, but I haven't looked into it yet. Dunno whether this is something that's important to you, but it's something to keep in mind.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Murphy Brownback posted:

I might be interested in the following.

1943: The Battle of Midway
Burgertime
Commando
Gotcha!
Spelunker

I have PMs if you'd prefer to contact me through there. Either way, you got quite the collection and judging from the last couple responses, you won't have problems with finding prospective buyers.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I'm looking for a mega man 1-6 set but I'm not interested in boxes so if anyone buys these I will be up for your non-boxed ones.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Katana Gomai posted:

Gimme a famicom titler tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug