Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't really see the energy system as a huge problem. I mean sure, they could re-haul it, but I don't feel it's a top priority considering you get ten billion candy bars for Adam to stuff his fat face with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Actually, I don't think there were all that many candy bars around, certainly not if you wanted to keep your energy topped up rather than staying at 1 bar all the time until you need to spend more.

What I really missed was some equivalent to the recharge bots of DX1 - a way to fill your energy to max at certain places in the game (hello, hub levels!). Something as simple as vending machines that sell you an unlimited supply of energy bars for cash.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I dunno, I definitely remember having 10+ bars at a time. You can hold a bunch of the single ones, but there's also the boxes that give you two bars of energy, and then the tubs that give you three. Energy's not really a problem unless you're like, invisible all the time.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

Actually, I don't think there were all that many candy bars around, certainly not if you wanted to keep your energy topped up rather than staying at 1 bar all the time until you need to spend more.
Staying topped off is just wasteful, though. If you just let the 1st pip recharge when you don't need to use any augs (not even saying to wait for a recharge) just when you're running places, you get all the same aug usage but at way less expense. When you need a pip and don't have one have an energy bar, same as always.

Topping off your energy is inadvisable. The only thing worse is wasting your Praxis kits to buy more battery cells (because filling them is worse than pointless, it's wasteful).
Those extra energy pip aug upgrades are pretty misleading about ideal cell usage since it's a strong player tendency to try to fully upgrade.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 5, 2013

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I never bothered to keep more than 1 pip filled. It was too much trouble to bother with and took up too much inventory to carry a bunch of energy bars around.

I could only do weak takedowns, but I was okay with that.

I really hate the fact that only 1 pip will recharge. It made the extra pips just seem completely pointless to me. I would need to constantly pop energy bars to keep them filled.

And like someone else already said, I'd be constantly wasting them on stupid stuff when I didn't need to waste them.

I hated that feature of the game and thought it was extremely poorly thought out and implemented.

Of course, I also thought that having the only melee options be takedowns was poorly thought out.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
All they would have had to do to balance takedowns was make them only work on unaware enemies and add a delay to being able to use them after leaving cloak.

Aleph Null posted:

Of course, I also thought that having the only melee options be takedowns was poorly thought out.
The stun gun is practically a melee option given its range.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They could make takedowns happen in real time; always thought the fact that they didn't was the oddest thing about them.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
What I hated about takedowns was that the non-lethal ones are faster (tap instead of hold), quieter, AND give more XP. There's all those fancy lethal takedown animations that no one will ever see, because they're completely superfluous.

And yeah, I know that it doesn't make sense to top off your energy, or invest praxis in cell upgrades. If you play conservatively, you can eventually stock up on multiple stacks of energy bars. But that's part of the problem - you only end up with multiple energy bars because they're so limited that you barely ever use them at all, and because increasing your energy pool past the one recharging cell is a bad investment. Not to mention that the larger energy restorers are a waste of inventory space, comparatively.

It's certainly nowhere near the design flaw that the boss battles were, but it still sticks out like a sore thumb.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Hannibal Rex posted:

What I hated about takedowns was that the non-lethal ones are faster (tap instead of hold), quieter, AND give more XP. There's all those fancy lethal takedown animations that no one will ever see, because they're completely superfluous.

Bullshit! Lethal takedowns rule. Not everything about gameplay can be balanced with pure logic, sometimes fun has to be taken into consideration. When some jackass shouts and blows my cover, I want a way to put blades in his face. :unsmigghh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It always bothered me that lethals were all CRAZY noisy, but then again some of them are ridiculously brutal. I think my favorite is the one where you spin them around and stab once in the side and then once in the side of the neck... only because I accidentally got that on that side mission with the girl in Hengsha that was stealing chips... had meant to do a non lethal, but I had just bought a mechanical keyboard and still wasn't used to it, so it registered a long press and I was all shocked and horrified as I brutally murdered the poor girl. :psyduck:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I've decided for fun to try and get all the achievements - I'm just finishing off Doctorate now, so for the next run I need to get Give me Deus Ex, Foxiest of the Hounds, Factory Zero and Pacifist. The only problem is that I'm really, really bad at the stealth in this game. No matter how sneaky I try to be, it seems something always goes wrong and a firefight breaks out.

Any tips, aside from go slow and look for vents?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

OldMemes posted:

I've decided for fun to try and get all the achievements - I'm just finishing off Doctorate now, so for the next run I need to get Give me Deus Ex, Foxiest of the Hounds, Factory Zero and Pacifist. The only problem is that I'm really, really bad at the stealth in this game. No matter how sneaky I try to be, it seems something always goes wrong and a firefight breaks out.

Get stealth, memorize the the quicksave and quickload keys :v:, and just be patient. You are very rarely on a time limit. Also remember that throwing poo poo to make noise is still a tactic.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The sneaky poo poo is helped a lot by using some aug, like radar, hacking and vision augs. There is usually a separate route for sneaky dudes, like vents you mentioned, or paths with mostly electronic surveillance that you can hack. There are some vids online with full walkthroughs that spoil the fun if you are stuck somewhere.
For pacifist: don't forget you cannot kill anyone, even in the prologue.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

OldMemes posted:

The stun gun is really, really good. It's like the DX1 riot prod except it's medium-range and you don't have to be behind them.

Foxiest is lost if an alarm sounds, not if you're seen, you won't lose it if you're seen unless it triggers an alarm.

Enemies can't see through each other.

Shoot walls/floors opposite enemies with a silenced pistol to make them look at the bullet hole instead of you.

Brainamp posted:

Also remember that throwing poo poo to make noise is still a tactic.
Be careful when throwing things, enemies will go to the source of the object if they see it thrown.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 5, 2013

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

OldMemes posted:

Don't always wait for guards to get in the right arrangement for you to be able to take one down by them walking their predefined paths. Pick up objects and toss them into isolated areas to lure guards where you want them.
Drag bodies out of the way.
Hack alarm panels. Hack everything on a stealth run.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't shoot the same guard more than once with the tranq gun, that will kill them.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
In Zhao's penthouse, there is a vent near a couch that will make evading the subsequent ambush much easier.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Something very special happened to me today. I was walking down the main street in my college town when this guy turns around and shouts at this gay rights activist: "JUST KNOW THAT THE ILLUMINATI CONTROL ALL WHITES AND THAT NO ONE HAS ANY CONTROL OVER YOUR LIVES [sic]"

I happened to be matching pace and direction with him, and so I decided to bring up MJ12. He ran into a friend about 10 seconds later so I thought, whatever. I round the corner...and he runs up behind me shouting "HEY THERE'S A GUY WITH SOME SERIOUS KNOWLEDGE OVER HERE" and excitedly asked me to divulge what I knew about MJ12 and the Bildebergers. I just gave the Deus Ex version of those organizations to him and it was loving blowing his mind.

I'm not sure if I've done a bad thing.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Did you tell him about the underground base in Hell's Kitchen?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
You did a good thing and you should start attending their meetings to expound on the complete story and how we end up there via HR. Ignore IW though, even they won't go along with that.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Give them the hobo from Detroit's speech verbatim.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AXE COP posted:

Give them the hobo from Detroit's speech verbatim.

You have to do this. Now.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I had to keep moving, but I was able to talk to him a bit about Black Helicopters.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red Crown posted:

I had to keep moving, but I was able to talk to him a bit about Black Helicopters.

What was his reaction?

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Fuzz posted:

It always bothered me that lethals were all CRAZY noisy, but then again some of them are ridiculously brutal. I think my favorite is the one where you spin them around and stab once in the side and then once in the side of the neck...

I think my favorite is the one where Jensen lifts a dude, shoves his body into another guy, and then stabs them both on the ground. It's so needlessly violent.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Poppleganger posted:

I think my favorite is the one where Jensen lifts a dude, shoves his body into another guy, and then stabs them both on the ground. It's so needlessly violent.

Why do you think Sarif gave Adam retractable arm blades?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

gfanikf posted:

What was his reaction?

It was like...you know that look you get on your face when someone tells you about a restaurant in town you'd really like that you didn't know existed? Like, "Holy crap, we have good sushi here?" It was that look.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Here's a version of Icarus I never thought I'd hear. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXc5TX-4tic

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red Crown posted:

It was like...you know that look you get on your face when someone tells you about a restaurant in town you'd really like that you didn't know existed? Like, "Holy crap, we have good sushi here?" It was that look.

Yep, I know that look and man that must have been hard not to start laughing.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

AXE COP posted:

Eidos just put up a link to a new OC Remix album of remixed Deus Ex tunes, available for free to download whenever. They'll be releasing a pair of songs every week until the whole album is out. Check it out: http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Sonic-Augmentation

This is awesome. There a couple tracks here that don't really capture the greatness of the originals but the rest are great.

This remix in particular is my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CdQt5KdARI

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
The Director’s Cut of Deus Ex: Human Revolution behind the scenes trailer released
( http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2013/04/17/the-directors-cut-of-deus-ex-human-revolution-behind-the-scenes-trailer-released/ )

Check out the new behind the scenes trailer for Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut released today by Eidos Montreal.

Hear about some of the exciting new changes to the Director’s Cut from key developers David Anfossi, Antoine Thisdale, Steve Szczepkowski, Jean-Francois Dugas, and Émile Pedneault. Get a first look at the game in action and an inside look at the philosophy behind the development of Human Revolution – Director’s Cut.

In addition to an abundance of new features, the Director’s Cut also offers approximately 8 hours of developer commentary and a 45 minute “making of” video that that reveals secrets and background info on the creation and production of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJJCDgKAltA

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Tecman posted:

The Director’s Cut of Deus Ex: Human Revolution behind the scenes trailer released
( http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2013/04/17/the-directors-cut-of-deus-ex-human-revolution-behind-the-scenes-trailer-released/ )

Check out the new behind the scenes trailer for Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut released today by Eidos Montreal.

Hear about some of the exciting new changes to the Director’s Cut from key developers David Anfossi, Antoine Thisdale, Steve Szczepkowski, Jean-Francois Dugas, and Émile Pedneault. Get a first look at the game in action and an inside look at the philosophy behind the development of Human Revolution – Director’s Cut.

In addition to an abundance of new features, the Director’s Cut also offers approximately 8 hours of developer commentary and a 45 minute “making of” video that that reveals secrets and background info on the creation and production of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJJCDgKAltA

And again, gently caress Eidos for not releasing it on PC. Ugh... so bummed about this, this is one of my favorite games of the last decade, and I'll never get to play the best version of it because gently caress buying a WiiU just for this game and Monster Hunter.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Bummed as well. I never got around to playing DX:HR because of the talk of poorly executed boss fights, but started following this thread after hearing of the WiiU version's improvement to find out when I would be able to get it on PC.

Dammit Eidos! Why do you hate selling stuff to me?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The boss fights are really not much of an issue in the grand scheme(well, aside from Namir) of things. It's just that in the older games you could run away entirely whereas in DX:HR you have to spend a minute chucking explosives at them (or just Typhooning them) if you want to do it easily/quickly.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Slashrat posted:

Bummed as well. I never got around to playing DX:HR because of the talk of poorly executed boss fights, but started following this thread after hearing of the WiiU version's improvement to find out when I would be able to get it on PC.

Dammit Eidos! Why do you hate selling stuff to me?

The boss fights are bad, but not that bad that you should just skip the whole game.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Party Plane Jones posted:

(well, aside from Namir)

When he lands from jumping over a wall you can use a takedown to kill him instantly.

I consider this a feature because of the aforementioned. Though, to be fair, that fight takes place in a pretty neat setting and is kind of interesting if you were dumb and got the upgrade, like me.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I consider this a feature because of the aforementioned. Though, to be fair, that fight takes place in a pretty neat setting and is kind of interesting if you were dumb and got the upgrade, like me.

I did that my first runthrough and died a heap of times.

Side note, gas grenades? Never not funny. That entire squad at TYM only took one grenade to put to sleep.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I saw it coming, shrugged, and then headshot him repeatedly with a fully upgraded pistol and won stupidly fast.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Side note, gas grenades? Never not funny. That entire squad at TYM only took one grenade to put to sleep.

Yeah, I had laid down a gas mine on my first game because I had figured an ambush was coming.

Hilarity ensued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I'd be willing to bet that at some point between the Wii U release and the eventual sequel that some sort of DLC or ultimate edition will come out for the PC.

• Locked thread