Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Board 1 is complete! (minus power source and switches)

The other two boards will connect to that board via the 10 pin connector. Then I have to figure out how in the hell I'm going to put that in a box.

I also made a mistake and didn't put enough screw holes on the board so I have to figure out how to mount it without the boards bending in the middle.

This entire venture has made me realize why no one does massive input AV switches: way too expensive and complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

After: Very clean, minus the sticker on the sticker :argh:

I've had success with getting stickers off the sticker on my SNES carts with a hairdryer. Put it on full heat and pick it off very slowly/carefully. You should also be careful with those Magic Erasers, overuse can remove the texture from the carts and make them smooth. I guess this is a good time to link Cart Cleaning 101 on the Goon retro wiki.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

HKR posted:

way too expensive and complicated.
I thought that was the mantra of this thread :retrogames:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

flyboi posted:

So framemeister owners: does SNES/NES always have black bars on the top/bottom? I'm currently using s-video/composite because my scart cables aren't in but on both there are borders on all 4 sides while my duo-r scales the entire screen vertically. I'm in meister mode, normal scaling and had set the horizontal offset to +2 to compensate for a gray line that showed up on my twin famicom but I tried every setting and could not get rid of the bars at the top/bottom.

Xik posted:

I just got mine yesterday and I'm using SCART with my SNES. I also have borders on all 4 sides. If you go to VISUAL_SET and then COLOR_INVERT in the menu, you can see it clearly.

The pic shows 1080_50p (50 because PAL) but it's the same in all output modes.

This would be the part where you start tweaking with the H and V scaler options and adjust the image to your liking.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

superh posted:

Yuck, I think I've got my first totally bum cart :(

A grimy copy of Mike Tyson's Punch Out.
The case only had two of the three screws and it had that chunk taken out of it - my guess is someone got mad and chucked it. The contacts are scrubbed clean and I'm just getting a gray screen. Is it beyond hope or is there some arcane art to repairing traces?

Didn't see anyone reply to this...

It IS possible to repair traces, though it's not easy if you're a beginner to electronics. The trick is to very carefully scrape off the solder mask on the trace on either side of the break, so you get some clean copper, and clean it off with alcohol. Then you can solder on a fine gauge magnet wire (30ga is good, you can find it in small spools on eBay) to bridge the gap. Be careful not to cut the trace as you're removing the solder mask, and be careful not to remove the solder mask between traces, because it can cause a solder bridge. Repairing broken traces, or even reworking the circuit is fairly common in prototyping, so it's certainly worth a shot.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Now I've had time to sober up and actually have a look at what I was gifted, I'm kinda bummed. No AV cables were included for the Cube or the SFC and the PSX seems to have a dead laser. Hopefully the cables will be included with the rest of the consoles and Toruneko will run on the PS2. Can't complain when it's all for free though.

Keyboard Kid posted:

If you ever feel like getting rid of the Twilight Princess, let me know~

I may take you up on this in the future...

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Xik posted:

I've had success with getting stickers off the sticker on my SNES carts with a hairdryer. Put it on full heat and pick it off very slowly/carefully.
To add to this, peel it from the top right corner going towards the bottom left unless you really hate warning stickers.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

YESSS the guy that sent me Pokemon Pearl accidentally put FireRed in there too... and it had GOLDUCK AND DRAGONITE on it. He messaged me about paying me to send it back, I told him I'd pay him for it, got him down to $15 since he wouldn't have to pay shipping again

Now I can give my Chinese bootleg copy to my little brother :)

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

HKR posted:

Board 1 is complete! (minus power source and switches)

The other two boards will connect to that board via the 10 pin connector. Then I have to figure out how in the hell I'm going to put that in a box.

I also made a mistake and didn't put enough screw holes on the board so I have to figure out how to mount it without the boards bending in the middle.

This entire venture has made me realize why no one does massive input AV switches: way too expensive and complicated.

Those Lemonade Rockstars are hosed up man.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

8-bit Miniboss posted:

This would be the part where you start tweaking with the H and V scaler options and adjust the image to your liking.

I've already looked at that, those sliders are faded and can't be adjusted?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

Those Lemonade Rockstars are hosed up man.

I've had four; I'm trying to see what will happen first, me completing the soldering work or my heart exploding.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Xik posted:

I've already looked at that, those sliders are faded and can't be adjusted?

You have to use another mode, I forget which though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

This week I'll be hitting up the local shop of amazing finds that has shitloads of N64, PS1, Dreamcast, and NES/SNES titles available (since apparently everyone in beautiful Detroit sold their youth away in favour of eating or something :v:). Last time I went there (a week or two ago), there was a massive stack of oldschool systems in the corner and it only just occurred to me that there are probably not many old school game collectors around here since this is literally the only store I've seen carry them and they also carry records, comics, drug paraphernalia, and everything else which means that they probably have an awesome selection of typically hard to find things for decent prices.

LONG STORY SHORT: does anyone want me to keep an eye out for anything in particular?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Tusen Takk posted:

This week I'll be hitting up the local shop of amazing finds that has shitloads of N64, PS1, Dreamcast, and NES/SNES titles available (since apparently everyone in beautiful Detroit sold their youth away in favour of eating or something :v:). Last time I went there (a week or two ago), there was a massive stack of oldschool systems in the corner and it only just occurred to me that there are probably not many old school game collectors around here since this is literally the only store I've seen carry them and they also carry records, comics, drug paraphernalia, and everything else which means that they probably have an awesome selection of typically hard to find things for decent prices.

LONG STORY SHORT: does anyone want me to keep an eye out for anything in particular?

Both the Mystical Ninja/Goemon 64 games
Capcom Disney games (Magical Quest, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, and Rescue Rangers in particular)
Yoshi's Island
Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut
Uniracers
GI Joe (NES) (the white label one)
A bunch of other stuff I can ill afford at the moment, space or moneywise. But those would be nice and not too crazy :) (EDIT: well, except Clayfighter but man as long as you're asking...)

Looking forward to the trip report at any rate!

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 6, 2013

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You have to use another mode, I forget which though.

If I go SCREEN_SET then set it to LB, it fits perfect. The ability to manually set the scale still isn't enabled though and scanlines look terrible when it's set this way.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is there an affordable middle ground between RGB with Framemiester and default composite ugly? Uglier upscaling or something? The cost of making retro games look decent on the real hardware and a modern TV is mind bending but it's the real hardware. I know I can get an emulator box or system on a chip thing like a RetroN but as soon as that idea makes sense it's not the real thing and it isn't enough! So then maybe making just one system all RGBed out seems feasible until I remember the cost and it's too much.

I'll even browse Trinitrons and then remember I live in a tiny apartment and I'm moving at some point in the near future so getting a heavy TV wouldn't be all great.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 6, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Heran Bago posted:

Is there an affordable middle ground between RGB with Framemiester and default composite ugly? Uglier upscaling or something? The cost of making retro games look decent on the real hardware and a modern TV is mind bending but it's the real hardware. I know I can get an emulator box or system on a chip thing like a RetroN but as soon as that idea makes sense it's not the real thing and it isn't enough! So then maybe making just one system all RGBed out seems feasible until I remember the cost and it's too much.

I'll even browse Trinitrons and then remember I live in a tiny apartment and I'm moving at some point in the near future so getting a heavy TV wouldn't be all great.

Collect handhelds instead.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Heran Bago posted:

Use s-video and a Trinitron that's smaller than 15" or find a PVM and use s-video or RGB.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Read This Guide about scaling and de-interlacing. While it heavily recommends the XRGB Mini, it does have alternatives that are cheaper and pretty good. The XRGB Mini is usually picked because of it's heavy feature set and that it supports absolutely everything.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Heran Bago posted:

Is there an affordable middle ground between RGB with Framemiester and default composite ugly?

You can go S-Video with a cheap/low-end upscaler. Before I got the XRGB I had one and it was a decent step up from composite, I made a post about it a while ago. Even just plain old S-Video without an upscaler would be a decent improvement over composite.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My local used games place has a Super Mario 64 cart that has the Not For Resale mark on it. These were originally supposed to be returned to Nintendo after they were done being used as demo units.

They want $20, is it worth picking that cart up, or are NFR N64 carts no big deal?

Are you sure this is the actual demo cart kind of "Not for resale", and not the kind of cart that says "Not for resale" just because it was bundled previously with a console?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

As far as I know, bundled cartridges themselves never carry that mark, it's usually on the boxes (where the barcode would be), so if it's on the cartridge it's a demo. I had a ton of these carts in my hands back at gamestop (usually Pokémon distribution) and you're right, we had to send each and everyone back. :sigh:

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 6, 2013

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

As far as I know, bundled cartridges themselves never carry that mark, it's usually on the boxes (where the barcode would be), so if it's on the cartridge it's a demo. I had a ton of these carts in my hands back at gamestop (usually Pokémon distribution) and you're right, we had to send each and everyone back. :sigh:

I have a pack in copy of Sonic the Hedgehog that has Not For Resale on both the box and the cartridge. As far as I can tell, pack in games for the N64 didn't even come in boxes, they were just a cartridge in the box with the system. That's definitely the way it was for Pokemon Stadium, so I would guess Super Mario 64 was the same way. However, if Super Mario 64 pack in carts did say Not For Resale on them, they would be a hell of a lot more commonly seen, like the Sonic the Hedgehog carts are.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

^^^ Sonic 1, 2 and 3 all have a common version with the sticker. Want a hard to distinguish game version, try Sonic 2 Revision 00. The very first batch with limited US release, not a not-for-resale version.

Xik posted:

The Super Metroid Map Screen:

HKR posted:

Read This Guide about scaling and de-interlacing. While it heavily recommends the XRGB Mini, it does have alternatives that are cheaper and pretty good. The XRGB Mini is usually picked because of it's heavy feature set and that it supports absolutely everything.

Thanks so much. That page is so helpfully detailed and I would be happy with results of the cheaper boxes. I didn't even know there were sub $100 options. The OP here is really well done just scary. :shobon:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 6, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

BoutrosBoutros posted:

I have a pack in copy of Sonic the Hedgehog that has Not For Resale on both the box and the cartridge. As far as I can tell, pack in games for the N64 didn't even come in boxes, they were just a cartridge in the box with the system. That's definitely the way it was for Pokemon Stadium, so I would guess Super Mario 64 was the same way. However, if Super Mario 64 pack in carts did say Not For Resale on them, they would be a hell of a lot more commonly seen, like the Sonic the Hedgehog carts are.

Oh what the hell, I thought he was talking about Super Mario 64 DS. That said, I have never seen a Nintendo packin that had "not for resale" on it, not on NES, SNES, GameBoy (so that covers Super Mario Bros, that 3-in-1 NES game, Super Mario World, Tetris, Zelda - A Link to the Past, Super Mario Land and about a million more). All of the packins were just regular cartridges, even if they came without a box.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Oh what the hell, I thought he was talking about Super Mario 64 DS. That said, I have never seen a Nintendo packin that had "not for resale" on it, not on NES, SNES, GameBoy (so that covers Super Mario Bros, that 3-in-1 NES game, Super Mario World, Tetris, Zelda - A Link to the Past, Super Mario Land and about a million more). All of the packins were just regular cartridges, even if they came without a box.

Yeah I've been looking into it some more and Not For Resale on an N64 cart means demo version 100% of the time. It usually means a pre-release demo version too, but a lot of them (including Mario 64) are exactly the same as the release version.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Well, after a few months and an all nighter, The boards of my AV switch are almost fully assembled:

I say almost because I still haven't wired up permanently the power supply or the switches. The switches are panel mount and have to go on the case which I have yet to even gather materials to build.

I did however hook it up via breadboard to test if it even worked, and it does:

The twin isn't the best test unit but it's the only console not fully assimilated into my setup. No ghosting on the image, and only some slight artifiacts on the very top right input; the furthest input signal wise from output. Jiggling the cables to the breadboard seemed to fix this so it probably has to do with that more then anything.

I'm super tired. In the morning when I start testing S-Video and component I'll post a video of it. Then it's off to the computer recycling center to see if I can find something suitable as a case.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"AAAA". Classic.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

You know, for some reason it didn't click with me before, but holy dicks that's a lot of inputs.

the_FERRET
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm trying to track down a game I fondly remember from my childhood, so far without luck.

The games was either played on C64 or 386, surprisingly I can't remember exactly. The premise of the game was that you were stranded on a deserted island, and the objective of the game was to build a ship and escape the island before a great storm hits. The challenge came from balancing the time spent building the boat, as well as collecting water from a well, and gathering gold from a nearby mine to take with you when you escape for additional points.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone here? Help is greatly appreciated!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

the_FERRET posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm trying to track down a game I fondly remember from my childhood, so far without luck.

The games was either played on C64 or 386, surprisingly I can't remember exactly. The premise of the game was that you were stranded on a deserted island, and the objective of the game was to build a ship and escape the island before a great storm hits. The challenge came from balancing the time spent building the boat, as well as collecting water from a well, and gathering gold from a nearby mine to take with you when you escape for additional points.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone here? Help is greatly appreciated!

I can't really help with the name of the game, but there actually is a thread for this very topic if no-one here can help. It does seem to wander amongst the pages elusively, though - Help us remember the name of a game!!!!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Katana Gomai posted:

I may or may not still have some of those DS not for resale carts.

I have looked around and they don't seem to be worth anything which is a shame. I have a feeling anything that has came out fairly recently is just never going to be worth any money. Just too much product was produced and it is all far too available. Not that making money is a reason to collect anything. But if someone is thinking they are going to get rich off of just about anything made after 1996, I got some magic beans I'd like to sell them...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

OSI bean dip posted:

You guessed right.

Discount Viscount posted:

Seaman with a Santa hat.

There's a litany of LE Dreamcasts in Japan, many of them in terribly garish colors like those above. Here are some more:

(this one has color shifting paint)

That said, the clear Seaman LE is objectively the best.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Silver Alicorn posted:

Didn't see anyone reply to this...

It IS possible to repair traces, though it's not easy if you're a beginner to electronics. The trick is to very carefully scrape off the solder mask on the trace on either side of the break, so you get some clean copper, and clean it off with alcohol. Then you can solder on a fine gauge magnet wire (30ga is good, you can find it in small spools on eBay) to bridge the gap. Be careful not to cut the trace as you're removing the solder mask, and be careful not to remove the solder mask between traces, because it can cause a solder bridge. Repairing broken traces, or even reworking the circuit is fairly common in prototyping, so it's certainly worth a shot.

Cool, thanks very much! It's not super clear in the picture but based on my reading I might have to do some epoxy filling since the hole is a little deep too. This leads me to another question though -

Could any kind Goon provide me with a photograph of an intact Mike Tyson's Punch Out board? Specifically the right side of the chip side of the board, right above the 72 pin contacts. I want to be sure I'm soldering the right connections back in...

Worst case scenario, the game stays broken, ha!

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

So, a while ago I remember it being said that the last resort for saving a game cart with bad contacts(after trying multiple tries of cleaning) was to try sandpaper on them. Or was I mishearing things? I assume it'd have to be a pretty fine grain.

I have a copy of Cybernator here that I picked up secondhand, and while it didn't really look all that bad, for some reason it seems to only start up about 1/20th of the time inexplicably. So I'm definitely willing to research options on how to get it back on it's feet.

Djarum posted:

I may or may not still have some of those DS not for resale carts.

I have looked around and they don't seem to be worth anything which is a shame. I have a feeling anything that has came out fairly recently is just never going to be worth any money. Just too much product was produced and it is all far too available. Not that making money is a reason to collect anything. But if someone is thinking they are going to get rich off of just about anything made after 1996, I got some magic beans I'd like to sell them...

Wasn't there some complaint lately about Xenoblade/The Last Story/Whatever Wii RPG being made in low quantities and basically shooting up in price immediately? I recall similar complaints about one of the Wii Anniversary collections of Mario or Zelda or something.

Which the days of rare prototypes and specialties like rental-only games that get rare may be over, I wouldn't be surprised if we still see the occasional "beloved game made in less-than-staggering quantities that gets really pricy somehow" still come around from time to time.

zenintrude posted:

There's a litany of LE Dreamcasts in Japan, many of them in terribly garish colors like those above. Here are some more:

I'd love one of these, or maybe some kind of similarly-decorated Gamecube. Somehow the more compact systems seem to really lend themselves the best towards tacky collectible designs.

And I use the word tacky in only the most affectionate way.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Oh god my life... Im drinking with guys who are like "yeah the fds etc etc"...

"so, about those comboys in your shop..."

Anyway, sorry hamburglar my cousin hasnt sent you that fc yet. I guess he brought it with him to michigan and it's his thing atm. He's... Kinda attached.

Edit: my friends think its funny that comboys are valuable? What should I pay for one.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Xik posted:

If I go SCREEN_SET then set it to LB, it fits perfect. The ability to manually set the scale still isn't enabled though and scanlines look terrible when it's set this way.

You should post your problem on the xrgbmini thread on shmups forum, they should have a better answer

Midnight Raider posted:

So, a while ago I remember it being said that the last resort for saving a game cart with bad contacts(after trying multiple tries of cleaning) was to try sandpaper on them. Or was I mishearing things? I assume it'd have to be a pretty fine grain.

Theres also a tiny metal brush meant for heavy duty contact cleaning available on dremels, if you have one of those.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Midnight Raider posted:

Wasn't there some complaint lately about Xenoblade/The Last Story/Whatever Wii RPG being made in low quantities and basically shooting up in price immediately? I recall similar complaints about one of the Wii Anniversary collections of Mario or Zelda or something.

Which the days of rare prototypes and specialties like rental-only games that get rare may be over, I wouldn't be surprised if we still see the occasional "beloved game made in less-than-staggering quantities that gets really pricy somehow" still come around from time to time.

Those are the obvious ones, as well as basically every limited edition handheld color insprired by Mario/Zelda. A lot of retro poo poo is "expensive", even if it's just a few years old, but hardly any of it manages to reach its own retail value or higher again. If a game like Dragon Quest IV (NES) goes for $80 that's a loving lot for an ancient game but it retailed not much below that.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Then explain why Earthbound goes for insane prices. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Figured out my SNES problems! First, go to visual set and go to V_POS. Change this so that the bottom of the screen is lined up with the bottom of your tv. For my tv V_POS was set to 24. Then change V_WIDTH until it stretches to the top of your tv. For mine it was 50.

• Locked thread