Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nikolai Volkoff is the Baltimore County Code Enforcement Officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Cavenagh posted:

I know about Linda McMahon and Jesse Ventura's ventures in politics, but have there been any other notables from the wrestling world to enter the political arena?

Big Boss Man ran for a county commissioner position in Georgia a couple of years before his death.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I sure hope he promised HARD TIMES for anybody who opposed him.

Exasperated Badger
Jun 9, 2009

"Come," he says. "Let me tell you a story. Once, there were four stalwart heroes..."
When did WWE begin using the term "WWE Universe"?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

since late 2008 when they tried having their own social network called WWE Universe.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Lawler and Backlund have ran for office but I don't know if they won. I think Lawler for mayor and Backlund for Congress.

I can verify that Lawler ran for mayor and was not elected.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cardboard Box posted:

since late 2008 when they tried having their own social network called WWE Universe.

Wasn't it originally WWE Fan Nation?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah, it was called that earlier in that year, then in November it changed to WWE Universe.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah, it was called that earlier in that year, then in November it changed to WWE Universe.

Was this when they introduced a message board that 4chan raided? It was flooded with FYAD like Benoit posts.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
Who's got the most five star matches ever?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

budreck posted:

Was this when they introduced a message board that 4chan raided? It was flooded with FYAD like Benoit posts.

Yes.

'HAVE YOU SEEN MY SON?'

I don't have archives, but we had a thread here with screen caps. Every poster was a gimmick - it was loving hilarious.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Puseklepp posted:

Who's got the most five star matches ever?

Pretty sure it's Misawa. It's gonna either be him or Kobashi anyway.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

It's Misawa. I'm pretty sure Kobashi is 2 and Kawada might be 3

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Ludvig Borga served in Finland's parliament I think
He did, for the right-wing nationalist True Finns and for several years, too.

Sidenote: with the ridiculous number of cross-referencing categories his wikipedia entry has ("Finnish sportsperson-politicians", "Professional wrestlers who committed suicide") you'd think there was one for wrestlers that became politicians. But maybe that sportsperson-politician one leads somewhere.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Besides doing commentary and being the final boss of NXT, does William Regal do any other work for WWE in a backstage capacity?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I would assume that he's a road agent as well, but I don't know. Easiest way to find out would probably be to ask him on twitter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VogeGandire posted:

Its Misawa. He has 24 to Kobashi's 23

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Its Misawa. He has 24 to Kobashi's 23

Was there ever consideration for a Joe-Kobashi rematch, either in the US or in Japan?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Was there ever consideration for a Joe-Kobashi rematch, either in the US or in Japan?

I think that's kinda recognized that they had the best match you could hope for the first time. Anything after that would kinda be tarnishing it.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

budreck posted:

What I love is the WWE games still have Michael Cole saying "head up to wwe.com where you'll find updates and blogs from all your favorite WWE superstars!" Liar.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Rarity posted:

Besides doing commentary and being the final boss of NXT, does William Regal do any other work for WWE in a backstage capacity?

They've had him evaluating talent. I remember a bunch of guys were having tryout matches some time last year and he gave a speech and evaluated them. I think he's still doing that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

They've had him evaluating talent. I remember a bunch of guys were having tryout matches some time last year and he gave a speech and evaluated them. I think he's still doing that.

He should just weed people out by making part of their training just having to stare down William Regal dead in the eye for 30 seconds.

The rates of people joining developmental would decline SHARPLY.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
When do Wrestlemania tickets go on sale usually? I'm planning on going to WM 30 if I can get some

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Irritated Goat posted:

When do Wrestlemania tickets go on sale usually? I'm planning on going to WM 30 if I can get some

Tickets for this years went on sale in early November, so expect the same for the next one.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm also visiting my girlfriend and her family in June and wanted to show her some ROH stuff. She just watches WWE. I thought I'd show off Punk, Joe, Claudio and the Briscoes and maybe Jimmy Jacobs. Is there an ROH show that has them all or do I have to edit something together or does ROH offer a VOD for individual matches?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Irritated Goat posted:

November

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Punk/Taker ruled

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm also visiting my girlfriend and her family in June and wanted to show her some ROH stuff. She just watches WWE. I thought I'd show off Punk, Joe, Claudio and the Briscoes and maybe Jimmy Jacobs. Is there an ROH show that has them all or do I have to edit something together or does ROH offer a VOD for individual matches?

The website has a pretty great selection.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Red posted:

The one from... Unforgiven 1998? Taker/Kane matches are usually boring as hell, but that had its moments.

Then again, I don't know that I've watched it in the last decade, so...

I watched it for that Attitude Era thing. It's garbage.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Weirdly, the only Kane vs UT match I've ever enjoyed is the first one they had at WM.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Irritated Goat posted:

Somebody's gonna have to help me out here but long ago during Samoa Joe's ROH title run, there was a tag match. It was during the Aries/Joe feud. I think Aries/Joe got into a fight before or after it. Anyways, I remember feeling like that tag match was just a perfect introduction to the whole ROH thing. Back when I would make VHS compilations, I was going to put it on a compilation that was geared as an introduction into pro wrestling for the person who isn't a pro wrestling fan yet. Just...can't remember which tag match it was other than it had Joe in it..

In another discussion, if you guys made a introduction to pro wrestling compilation that was geared into making a new fan, what would you put on there? Off the top of my head:

Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania)
AJ Styles vs. Chris Sabin vs. Petey Williams (Ultimate X)
Hollywood Hogan vs. The Rock (Wrestlemania X8)
Austin Aries vs. Low-Ki vs. Zema Ion vs. Jack Evans (Destination X)
Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Chris Daniels (Original 3 Way, TNA)
Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania 26)
CM Punk vs. John Cena (Money in the Bank)
Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania)
Blitzkrieg vs. Juventud Guerrera (Spring Stampede 99)
Super Crazy vs. Taijiri vs. Jerry Lynn (insert one here)
Eddie Guerrero vs. Brock Lesnar (No Way Out)
The entire segment of Taz vs. Sabu that goes from that to a WWF invasion to Shane Douglas talking poo poo to Taz challenging and defeating him for the TV title after he wrestled a full match. One of the more brilliant multilayered segment to segment booked section of a show I've ever seen.

89 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 8, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Show the Joe vs Kobashi match or the Joe vs Punk match. The cage match between Jimmy and BJ. Then for the Briscoes show them Ladder War 1

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

89 posted:

Somebody's gonna have to help me out here but long ago during Samoa Joe's ROH title run, there was a tag match. It was during the Aries/Joe feud. I think Aries/Joe got into a fight before or after it. Anyways, I remember feeling like that tag match was just a perfect introduction to the whole ROH thing. Back when I would make VHS compilations, I was going to put it on a compilation that was geared as an introduction into pro wrestling for the person who isn't a pro wrestling fan yet. Just...can't remember which tag match it was other than it had Joe in it..

I am guessing you are thinking of Joe/Danielson vs Aries/Evans from Third Anniversary Part 2.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Show the Joe vs Kobashi match or the Joe vs Punk match. The cage match between Jimmy and BJ. Then for the Briscoes show them Ladder War 1

I don't think Joe/Kobashi is really a good intro to wrestling because context is what makes a lot of that match great and a first time watcher probably couldn't give a poo poo about the dream match aspect of it all.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

89 posted:

In another discussion, if you guys made a introduction to pro wrestling compilation that was geared into making a new fan, what would you put on there? Off the top of my head:

The entire segment of Taz vs. Sabu that goes from that to a WWF invasion to Shane Douglas talking poo poo to Taz challenging and defeating him for the TV title after he wrestled a full match. One of the more brilliant multilayered segment to segment booked section of a show I've ever seen.

I think you gotta include one of these three Austin WM matches (or all of them).

Austin vs. Bret Hart (WM13) -- The Double Turn match
Austin vs. Shawn Michaels (WM14) -- Austin's first championship, seen as the official start to the Attitude Era
Austin vs. The Rock (WM17) -- Austin's heel turn and the end of the Attitude Era

And I tend to think that Michaels-Taker 1 at WM25 was a better match than the sequel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

89 posted:

The Michaels/Flair and HBK/Taker matches mean nothing if you don't have the context for the 3 guys involved.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would include TLC II and probably avoid anything over 30 minutes. And I agree with Taker-HBK I over Taker-HBK II.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

Austin vs. The Rock (WM17) -- Austin's heel turn and the end of the Attitude Era

Surely has to be this. This is one of those huge milestone matches that every wrestling fan is expected to know straight away.

I'd say RR2000 HHH/Cactus too, considering that was basically HHH's star-making moment.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

VogeGandire posted:

Surely has to be this. This is one of those huge milestone matches that every wrestling fan is expected to know straight away.

I'd say RR2000 HHH/Cactus too, considering that was basically HHH's star-making moment.

I was going to say either the Street Fight at Royal Rumble or the Hell in a Cell match a month later at No Way Out.

I think you should include one Hell in a Cell match. The generic choice would be Mankind v. Undertaker at King of the Ring 1996, but that's only famous because of the huge spots in the match and it's really not that good a match. I think HHH vs. Cactus Jack at No Way Out 2000 is probably the best HIAC ever and also one of those moments that gave HHH the rub he needed to cement himself at the main event level.

The Street Fight is loving ridiculous though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Professor Funk posted:

I was going to say either the Street Fight at Royal Rumble or the Hell in a Cell match a month later at No Way Out.

I think you should include one Hell in a Cell match. The generic choice would be Mankind v. Undertaker at King of the Ring 1996, but that's only famous because of the huge spots in the match and it's really not that good a match. I think HHH vs. Cactus Jack at No Way Out 2000 is probably the best HIAC ever and also one of those moments that gave HHH the rub he needed to cement himself at the main event level.

The Street Fight is loving ridiculous though.

The best Hell in the Cell is and will forever be Undertaker vs HBK Badd Blood.