Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
Pulled pork - a shoulder will hold hot if he double-wraps it in HD foil and throws it in a small cooler wrapped in old towels. Leave it in the foil / cooler and it will stay hot for a good couple of hours. If you logistically can do it, hold it in the oven around ~200F until you're ready for it, then pull it out of the foil, and it will fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Seconding the wrapping a pork shoulder in tinfoil and blankets and placing it in a cooler. It will stay hot/warm for hours. I've also had good luck doing that with turkeys and chickens as well.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

He did say they're already having a ham and a leg of lamb. A pork shoulder might be overkill.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

GigaFool posted:

He did say they're already having a ham and a leg of lamb. A pork shoulder might be overkill.

A pork shoulder is never overkill

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?
I ended up suggesting the salmon to him, and he loved that idea, so that works. I'm not sure if he's planning to hot smoke it or cold smoke it, but as long as he's happy.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I got bored and decided to disregard the advice about not smoking pork tenderloins. I stuffed one with butter and mashed up garlic and just rubbed the other one with chipotle rib rub as a control. Going to keep them at 275 with some apple and pecan for a couple of hours and see how they turn out.

It might not be the best method, but as with most things on the smoker, the worst case scenario they are only mildly delicious. Oh no!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

CHiMPY posted:

I think both sites want almost $40 in shipping, one of them wanted to charge me twice because some of the items were on back order.
Assuming they do free US shipping (or even just standard rates), add on another maybe $30 to ship the whole lot over and it would work out about significantly cheaper.

It is an idea I was considering, then again I could probably find most of the electronics locally.
I might go check out the local shops after the long weekend and see what I can find then just order the rest from the US.
I'm the jerk that created HeaterMeter and a lot of the parts are off the shelf kinda stuff, easily replaced. The difficult parts are: the rPi connection header, the 4-way switch, the mono headphone jacks, the LCD, and the 5V switching regulator in a TO-220 package. If you can find someone down under that carries those sort of parts but need help picking the right part, I can help. Also I think I have all the parts except the blower motor and PCB in my box of crap so you've got options.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Smoked up some pork butt/shoulder Jamaican jerk style.

Wet rub overnight with lots of spices with the pimento wood ready

And the final product as it came out of the smoker after 6 hours or so - took it to 180f and let it rest for an hour, then gave it a blast of heat of the grill before serving.

Final/served pictures were forgotten in our haste to eat it. But when a Trinidad girl proclaimed it the best she's ever had, you know it's good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Definitely going to need the recipe for that, it looks absolutely amazing.

CHiMPY
Feb 10, 2003

CapnBry posted:

I'm the jerk that created HeaterMeter and a lot of the parts are off the shelf kinda stuff, easily replaced. The difficult parts are: the rPi connection header, the 4-way switch, the mono headphone jacks, the LCD, and the 5V switching regulator in a TO-220 package. If you can find someone down under that carries those sort of parts but need help picking the right part, I can help. Also I think I have all the parts except the blower motor and PCB in my box of crap so you've got options.

Not sure I would call you a jerk, visionary perhaps :)
Went to the local electronics place yesterday and picked up a bunch of the stuff, they didn't have everything and I think some of the stuff the clerk didn't even try to find.

There is a shop down the road from my office so I'll go in there and see what they have on Tuesday when I am back at work.

What I can't source locally I will work out how to get to aus.

unknown posted:

That looks so good I don't mid having to scroll to see it all, please post the recipe for the rub.

Good Friday BBQ at my house was ribs.
Beef and pork.

Beef goes on..

Pork goes on..

The results...

You will have to forgive the crappy cell phone pics, too much good food to waste time finding the camera.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Its not meat, but it should be drat tasty. 3 blocks of Habanero Jack, a Sharp Cheddar, and Mozzarella. Can't wait to try them in about a months time.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
That looks awesome, I've tried to try smoke cheese, but every time it's been awful. What exactly is the process? I noticed you've sealed them inside an airless thing, how long does that actually have to sit in there? Does that matter? The two time's I've tried I ate it right off the grill and it was terrible, and then I put it in a ziplock in the fridge for a week, and it was still awful.

MixxMaster
Sep 15, 2005

McSpankWich posted:

That looks awesome, I've tried to try smoke cheese, but every time it's been awful. What exactly is the process? I noticed you've sealed them inside an airless thing, how long does that actually have to sit in there? Does that matter? The two time's I've tried I ate it right off the grill and it was terrible, and then I put it in a ziplock in the fridge for a week, and it was still awful.

I cold smoke for only 2-3 hrs max, then vacuum sealed for at least a couple weeks. I use this: http://www.macsbbq.com/cold-smokers/product/proq-cold-smoke-generator

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

McSpankWich posted:

When you say awful, did it just taste really bad. Everything I have read says basically let it mellow out for atleast a month after smoking. That is why I vacuum seal it, since it lets me put it right into the fridge for storage without having to worry about having my fridge smell like smoke. I did notice on my last batch the Habanero Jack got way spicier the longer it sat after smoking.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yes, it tasted really bad. They both tasted like I was eating smoked oil, basically. If you could just run me through your process it would be most beneficial, thanks man.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

unknown posted:

Wet rub overnight with lots of spices with the pimento wood ready

And the final product as it came out of the smoker after 6 hours or so - took it to 180f and let it rest for an hour, then gave it a blast of heat of the grill before serving.

Final/served pictures were forgotten in our haste to eat it. But when a Trinidad girl proclaimed it the best she's ever had, you know it's good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Need this recipe please.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

McSpankWich posted:

Yes, it tasted really bad. They both tasted like I was eating smoked oil, basically. If you could just run me through your process it would be most beneficial, thanks man.

I don't really do anything special. In order to keep the temps to a minimum I use an old soup can which I put a bunch of holes in for airflow. I then put a small amount of lit lump charcoal and then pile on wood chips. This time I used maple chips, mostly I stick with Apple wood as I am usually smoking chicken and I think it pairs well together. Once the smoke gets going past that initial burst I'll put the cheese on. I usually let it go for about 2 hours, this time I let it go for close to 3, so we shall see how that alters it when I get to try it out.

I know when I take the cheese off, mainly due to the fact that I am not pure cold smoking it, it is pretty oily. I will pat it down a bit with some paper towels before I go to put it in the vacuum bags. The first time I smoked cheese I of course tried it right away, I thought it was okay, my wife really liked it. I let it rest for a month and it was much much better.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Whoops, I posted that using the betamax app that auto-resized the image to a normal size so I never saw the problem. Sorry about that folks.

And here's the approximate recipe for the Jerk Rub. Note that a lot of this is to personal taste - keep sampling the rub as you make it and adjust. Many spices are of a different potency in your area!

Fresh (this is a must) ingredients:

1/2 bunch scallions
3-4 scotch bonnet peppers seeded. (bonnet peppers give a nice peppery flavor that habaneros don't)
3-4 garlic cloves
2 tbps of fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp fresh ginger

Spices:

2-3 tbps of allspice
2 tsp of cinnamon
2 tsp of grated nutmeg
1 tbsp of black pepper
1 tsp of salt
3-4 tbsp brown sugar

Liquids:

oil (peanut/canola/etc)
soya sauce
cider vinegar
lime

Instructions:

- Chop/mince/whatever all the fresh ingredients together. The scotch bonnets will actually reduce in heat over time, so I find I can error on the high side for that.
- Grind all the spices together and add to the fresh ingredients. Remember to taste and balance flavors if needed!
- Squeeze a lime into it. Maybe a splash of dark rum if you've got some.
- add the oil/soya/vinegar in equal amounts so the rub becomes "wet".

Then cover the pork (I used a ~5 lb butt - but you can use any protein I guess) and bag it up overnight to get some flavor.

Next day smoke it at ~225f with pimento wood (bush where allspice berries come from - so use something fragrant if you don't have it) and remove at 180f internal temp (~6 hours for me). Let it rest for an hour or so in a cooler, and before serving, give it a blast on the bbq for some extra crunch and a bit of that flame burnt flavor.

Then slice and enjoy with some fried plantains and "rice and peas".

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
Thank you for the recipe. Those pictures had me drooling.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I just got a leg of lamb on sale and I am considering doing two things:

1. Cutting up the leg to grill shashlik (basically shishkabobs) or
2. Not cutting the leg up, but marinating overnight in olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and then slow cooking it.

Anyone have experience with lamb and have any good ideas for me?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
So my fellow goons I have a ponderous question for you. Is free ever bad? I have a buddy that is getting out of the military and has a Chargriller duo
that he is giving away because he cannot fit it in his U-Haul. Is it worth taking to my house and picking up a Side fire box and attach it to the side for use as a smoker or would my money be better spent saving for a WSM, Egg, or Backwoods smoker?

Melthir fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 8, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

So I just got a leg of lamb on sale and I am considering doing two things:

1. Cutting up the leg to grill shashlik (basically shishkabobs) or
2. Not cutting the leg up, but marinating overnight in olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and then slow cooking it.

Anyone have experience with lamb and have any good ideas for me?

slow cook it! add lots of garlic, herbs, and salt to your marinade overnight. Then throw it in a dutch oven/pot with a little bit of wine and stock, and cook it in your oven at 325 for several hours. you can crank the heat/broil at the end if you want for some browning. awesome with pasta.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Melthir posted:

So my fellow goons I have a ponderous question for you. Is free ever bad? I have a buddy that is getting out of the military and has a Chargriller duo
that he is giving away because he cannot fit it in his U-Haul. Is it worth taking to my house and picking up a Side fire box and attach it to the side for use as a smoker or would my money be better spent saving for a WSM, Egg, or Backwoods smoker?

My recommendation would be to save up for a dedicated smoker. I used a model that looked exactly like that but it was made by Red, I believe. It was last year 4th of July at my inlaws. It was an absolutely horrible experience, and I hated every minute I had to use it. The separate grill areas seemed really small, and the side firebox was so badly put together I had a massive problem with getting it to seal properly. I had to put a cinderblock on the top of the firebox to get it to stay down and seal.

I felt bad for them when my mother-in-law told me how much they had spent on it. They could have done so much more with a weber kettle and spent tons less.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Has anyone used the a-maze-n smokers for hot smoking? It says you can hot smoke but I am having trouble imagining getting to 200-250f. I don't have a smoker, but my building has two gas grills- I was hoping to use the amznps to get my brisket fix.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Has anyone used the a-maze-n smokers for hot smoking? It says you can hot smoke but I am having trouble imagining getting to 200-250f. I don't have a smoker, but my building has two gas grills- I was hoping to use the amznps to get my brisket fix.

The AMNPS is awesome, but doesn't generate heat (okay, only a couple of degrees). It's for smoke generation only - and does an awesome job of that for up to 10 hours. This is why you can use it for cold smoking.

It was originally for using in the masterbuilt electric smoker that requires to be refilled with wood chips every 30 minutes and doesn't always make good smoke. The box did however hold heat nicely.

I'd say get one, give it a try with your gas grill, and if it doesn't work out, sell it on Craigslist or sa mart. There's always a demand for it.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Anyone have any idea how the Napoleon Apollo compares to a WSM in terms of efficiency and how long they last? Those rivets kind of have me wondering how long it will last.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
Working on my first pork shoulder with the Smokenator in my Weber Kettle and figured after lurking in this thread for so long I should contribute a little.

In progress:

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
Smokenator buddy..

My only experience with smoking meat has been with this thing and it has never failed. I've done 3 rounds of pork shoulder and one round of ribs.. All turned out pretty phenomenal. Oddly enough, the first pork shoulder was probably the best. After 6 hours or so on the smoker, feel free to call it a day if you want and throw it in the oven at 250. At that point, the smoking is done anyway and you'll be able to leave it going until it hits 200. For an 8-9 lb shoulder it has taken 18 hours solid each time. I've even bad to foil and turn up the oven to 275 to get it up to 200 internal. A traditional memphis rub did wonders for creating a nice bark.

So, how delicious was it??

diehlr fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 14, 2013

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

diehlr posted:

Smokenator buddy..

So, how delicious was it??

It turned out fantastic. My 8ish lb shoulder was on for right at 18 hours also, foiling at around 150 because the stall was insane. I think next time I'll take your advice and move it to the oven. All in all, not a bad effort for a grill though.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
3 pound shoulder on the 22" Weber kettle. Used RO lump and some apple.

Made a bastardized mop sauce .. equal parts root beer & cola, and I tossed in some papaya juice I had in the fridge. Reduced it by half and mopped with it the last 2 hours or so. The bark was incredible. And I have a bunch leftover for sandwiches for the week.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That looks pretty good. My only comment is:

A 22" weber for a 3lb shoulder? Use that extra room! Get one bone in, throw a party, and take this to the next level

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
So a while back I had lucked out and picked a $50 18.5 WSM off of craigslist. Smoked some badass briskets and pulled pork in that bad boy. I recently moved out to California and the movers put a huge dent in the bottom of the middle barrel section of my WSM. I don't know if it will ever be the same. I'm gonna have to do some hammering before it will even fit back on it's base.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I smoked a pork shoulder once in my smoker and it turned out really bad, like I did not eat it and threw it out. The smoke taste was overpowering with a metallic taste to it. I used sticks of applewood from some random young apple tree my parents are growing in their yard.

Did I smoke it too much perhaps (I had smoke going the whole cooking time), I am wondering if I should have stopped the smoking at 2hrs or so, and maybe wrapped it in foil for the remainder? Or maybe the wood was no good, I don't got any big chunks from aged applewood which I believe would be best, only scrawny sticks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

I smoked a pork shoulder once in my smoker and it turned out really bad, like I did not eat it and threw it out. The smoke taste was overpowering with a metallic taste to it. I used sticks of applewood from some random young apple tree my parents are growing in their yard.

Did I smoke it too much perhaps (I had smoke going the whole cooking time), I am wondering if I should have stopped the smoking at 2hrs or so, and maybe wrapped it in foil for the remainder? Or maybe the wood was no good, I don't got any big chunks from aged applewood which I believe would be best, only scrawny sticks.

Did you use green (not dried) wood? That would be my first guess based on your story

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

His Divine Shadow posted:

What was the smoke like? Was it thin, blue smoke (as seen in sunlight) or was it big thick clouds of grayish white smoke?

Also, bark smoke, which sticks have a lot of, generally don't taste too great. And yea, the wood being quite green probably didn't help either.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah I guess the wood was quite green even if it had dried out (though only for a few weeks or so) and being a buncha sticks it had lots of bark.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Another question, is this piece of meat good for putting in a smoker, it's the one called Sisäpaisti:

My ideal meat piece would be the one called "Rinta", I believe that's the brisket. But every butcher I talked to said they are supplied by the big butcher centers and briskets have zero interest for finnish people, so it's turned into sausage material instead. He couldn't even get me one on special order.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

That's sirloin. Can you get any chuck/shoulder? In your picture it's called etuselka/lapa. That would be your best smoker option imo. You can smoke sirloin, but it's not the sort of cut you want to bring up to a high temp, so it's not ideal.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Anyone have experience/cooking times for smoking chicken wings? I'm having a gathering of folk and have been making baked wings at home with a rub that would taste really good smoked. My only fear is not getting crispy skin which is a bummer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Iron Lung posted:

Anyone have experience/cooking times for smoking chicken wings? I'm having a gathering of folk and have been making baked wings at home with a rub that would taste really good smoked. My only fear is not getting crispy skin which is a bummer!

You should cold smoke then fry or smoke till the wings hit something like 140 and then blast the heat up to 350 or 400 the last few minutes.