Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

nmfree posted:

IIRC a lot of people in this thread use the free one from Harbor Freight for doing ballpark/"is it hot?" measurements, and it works well enough.

I've butchered up a set of leads to have alligator clips n the ends. You can get the right end connectors if you want too or even some alligator clips have a through screw which you can be sneaky and use to clamp them to a probe. Alligator clips on a multimeter can be a godsend if you need more than two hands to hold it in place and do something else at the same time. It's fairly often that I graft things like bullet or blade connectors on to the multimeter somehow too.
Even the multimeters that can be had for a few $ are fine for a car. It is however really useful to keep an analog and a digital in inventory because both have their own uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anybody know how often the HF racing jacks go on sale? They have the 1.5 ton on now, but I'd like something with bigger capacity.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Uthor posted:

When working in a car, whatever works is probably good enough. You'll want an expensive one when exact and consistent readings matter, but in a car, "is it hooked up" and "is this getting 12-14 V" are generally all you care about.

Get something with a continuity tester, though. Makes life easier.
Cheap digital multimeters are good enough for around-the-house use. They're usually pretty consistent, but might not be perfectly accurate. You can check it against a good quality calibrated multimeter sometime if you suspect it's way off.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

blk posted:

Anybody know how often the HF racing jacks go on sale? They have the 1.5 ton on now, but I'd like something with bigger capacity.
I'm assuming you mean the aluminum ones. Aside from the compact 1.5 ton coupons, occasionally the larger frame 1.5 will be 89 but item specific coupons for the 2 or 3 ton are very few and far between from what I've seen.

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

blk posted:

The May 2013 issue of Super Street (It was free, don't judge me), has coupons for the 1.5 and 3 ton aluminum jacks and the 3 ton and 2.5 ton low profile steel jacks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Any suggestions for a good 5-6" bench vise? I don't see good reviews for the HF ones or any others for less than $100 or so.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

Any suggestions for a good 5-6" bench vise? I don't see good reviews for the HF ones or any others for less than $100 or so.
If you can find the equivalent in the US, I like my Clarke one, because it's made from steel rather than cast iron, so it won't crack when (ab)used:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I have this one. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...s_tnt=39869:4:0 It's a vice alright.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Jesus, don't buy a new vise. Unless you are spending $200+, you'll get an imported piece of crap that will break if you push it.

Buy a used American vise off of Craigslist. I've bought 6 in the past 2 years (I've got a problem with vises, they are my vice), and they outperform anything imported ine very category.

If you don't give a poo poo, or just want something to beat on, buy an import. The cheaper the better... they all suck.

Info: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716

There are groups of people who collect vises, but if you get in touch with one of them and explain your need, they'll sell you a good used vise for reasonable money.

My collection includes a 4.5" Charles Parker, a 3" Athol, a 4" DesmondSimplex, a 3" older Chas. Parker, and a decent Colombian.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
You sure that isn't a jazz music collection you're talking about?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Jesus, don't buy a new vise. Unless you are spending $200+, you'll get an imported piece of crap that will break if you push it.

Buy a used American vise off of Craigslist. I've bought 6 in the past 2 years (I've got a problem with vises, they are my vice), and they outperform anything imported ine very category.

If you don't give a poo poo, or just want something to beat on, buy an import. The cheaper the better... they all suck.

Info: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716

There are groups of people who collect vises, but if you get in touch with one of them and explain your need, they'll sell you a good used vise for reasonable money.

My collection includes a 4.5" Charles Parker, a 3" Athol, a 4" DesmondSimplex, a 3" older Chas. Parker, and a decent Colombian.

Wow, thanks for the response. I kind of was thinking that all the new ones I see were poo poo. I don't see anything on the local craigslist with a blanket search for "vice" so maybe I'll have my dad look for a nice old one at a flea market.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I find that surprising, but check for "vise" as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kastein posted:

That's what I had been searching. Typo. :doh:

This sounds like a good one possibly. Any input?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/3698088123.html

Edit: another Record vise it looks like.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/tls/3727440740.html

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 7, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I am looking at buying the HF $350 rolling toolbox. I think we have a mailer coupon that makes it about $300, am I going to do better scouring the internet for a different coupon or should I just go for it?

The next 'big' HF sale probably what, Memorial Day? I can't wait that long.

The thing that swung me to the HF one was the large number of shallow drawers, it seems like Craftsman will only give me one or two shallows in the whole cabinet on most of them, and there's not much else local to cross-shop against.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 7, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

I don't know, "vice" could bring up quite a few interesting results...

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

InitialDave posted:

If you can find the equivalent in the US, I like my Clarke one, because it's made from steel rather than cast iron, so it won't crack when (ab)used:

I saw a big old heavy duty vise at a garage sale on Saturday. I knew the type and have used them before. Shame I couldn't afford it :(

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

I know you weren't calling that one heavy duty, but that picture isn't of a heavy-duty model. You can tell because of the "T" shaped jaws, there isn't any support under the ends of the jaws. You want "V" Shaped jaws. Concealed screw models are usually stronger than exposed screw. In your case, look for something from England or the US.

In any case, most of the American companies went out of business and were bought by the Chinese (in name only) after they realized that the vises they made were basically a "buy one per family, and pass it down" sort of quality. It'd be like if Ford made cars that never wore out or needed to be replaced...

Those Records look good, although the prices are higher than you'd pay a few years ago. Unluckily, pricing has really come up in the past year. In general, the advice given in that post from GJ is good:

quote:

Q:How can I tell if my vise is a cheap import? (note: I'm not talking about the GOOD vises that have been imported like Records)

A: Taken as a rule, this is the easiest way to tell:

1. The lead screw on an import will be too small for the jaw size.
2. An import will not name the country of origin
3. It was purchased at a home center in recent years
4. If the jaws "T" too much.
5. If it is a funky rotating design with one side being pipe jaws and the other being regular jaws.

quote:

Q: How much is this old vise worth?

A: I will let you know when I come across a well used vise worth over $1/lb unless it is a very rare configuration. This is one man's opinion. If the vise needs work or has been sitting a long time $.60/lb is more reasonable. Neglect is often often better than wear, I value heavily worn vises under $.50/lb usually. When they are restored, then I feel the value roughly doubles if a good job is done, and the vise has been made better in both function and looks.

I should note however, that Wilton's seem to command a premium. I really don't know why. Autopts, who buys a lot of these says that $25 per inch of jaw width for a good used Wilton. I tend to agree that this is a fair price, especially if you plan to re-sell on eBay.

Q: What happened to all of these companies?

A: They simply made a product that was too good. If you bought some of these old vises, you likely never needed another one. As industrial expansion in the USA started to slow, the demand for quality vises declined.

FYI: I paid $60 for both the Simplex and the Athol (which was basically unused)... that was a screaming deal.
I paid $20 for the big Parker, but it has a crack under the dynamic jaw support (couldn't tell because of the rust and paint and dirt). That vise has been restored by me, and I love it, but its really not worth much thanks to the crack.

The smaller Parker I got on eBay for $30, and its been brazed back together. I liked the design, and don't beat on it.

I also have a 4" Monarch that I got at a yard sale for $10... another steal. Its in mint shape.

The saddest thing is that the vise I use the most is an imported Larin that my father gave me when I moved out. Its a complete POS, but it was all I had when I built my bench, and thus, its the only one that's permanently mounted.

An old picture:
Order: lovely Larin, Athol, Torco/Wilton (which I forgot about. $5 garage sale score), Simplex, and big Parker.
And the Monarch:

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 8, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

sharkytm posted:

I know you weren't calling that one heavy duty, but that picture isn't of a heavy-duty model.

God no. I could make short work of that thing in a few minutes. Even the toothed bits on my F clamps are bent like bananas. Pretty sure I'd break the jaws off that vise in about 3 minutes flat.

The one I saw at the garage sale is like none of those. It had serious meat around the jaws etc. It was a lot like the old ones the Dept. of Education used to equip in schools when they still cared about providing equipment. So 1950's vintage maybe? I mean most of the equipment I used in the science labs was WWII era. Wax paper boxes, vacuum tubes, Model T buzzers etc. etc.
Most of the industrial arts stuff was the same vintage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I didn't think of just finding a properly made old vice, do that instead.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I think I'm going to go with the Eastwood 135A MIG Welder. It's only $300 and it has infinite voltage and wire feed settings. It gets very good reviews and it has a 3 year warranty. There is a distributor for Eastwood stuff in Essex so I won't have to worry about having it shipped to Canada.

Eastwood also has a 175A model that includes a spool gun for $500 but it runs on 220. I'd really like to have that one but I am renting my house and I'm not sure how keen the owner would be to upgrade service to the garage.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

bung posted:

I think I'm going to go with the Eastwood 135A MIG Welder. It's only $300 and it has infinite voltage and wire feed settings. It gets very good reviews and it has a 3 year warranty. There is a distributor for Eastwood stuff in Essex so I won't have to worry about having it shipped to Canada.

Eastwood also has a 175A model that includes a spool gun for $500 but it runs on 220. I'd really like to have that one but I am renting my house and I'm not sure how keen the owner would be to upgrade service to the garage.

I was born on the wrong continent.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

I am looking at buying the HF $350 rolling toolbox. I think we have a mailer coupon that makes it about $300, am I going to do better scouring the internet for a different coupon or should I just go for it?

This thread on another forum is pretty good for Harbor Freight coupons and whatnot, but from what I've seen regarding their larger items (compressors, tool storage, etc), you're pretty much stuck with their rarer coupons that pop up very seldomly. What's the item #, and is the coupon a reg, super, or ITC coupon? It rarely gets better than a super coupon for those items :negative:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Splizwarf posted:

The next 'big' HF sale probably what, Memorial Day? I can't wait that long.

The thing that swung me to the HF one was the large number of shallow drawers, it seems like Craftsman will only give me one or two shallows in the whole cabinet on most of them, and there's not much else local to cross-shop against.

Which one do you mean?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The one you can't get as separate top and bottom boxes. Honestly, I'd prefer just a good wide bottom box, but everything seems to have a few massive drawers instead of the thin ones that I want.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

sharkytm posted:

In any case, most of the American companies went out of business and were bought by the Chinese (in name only) after they realized that the vises they made were basically a "buy one per family, and pass it down" sort of quality. It'd be like if Ford made cars that never wore out or needed to be replaced...
I've got a Dunlap 5244 (produced '45-'59) passed down from my father, who got it from my grandfather. Small compared to yours, but indestructible and great for my purposes. It's in super good shape compared to the ones I see online, too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Decided it would be more cost effective to start making my own penetrating fluid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16oz-REUSABLE-REFILLABLE-MULTIPURPOSE-AEROSOL-SPRAY-CANISTER-SPRAY-TIP-SET-/380501608835

This is awesome.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy gently caress, you are my hero. I bet I can cut my brakleen usage by 3/4 with one of those.

... mind updating this thread after putting acetone/atf mix in it? I'm afraid the acetone might dissolve the seals or spray head, it tends to have that effect on a whole lot of synthetics.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
That looks like a fantastic idea. As above can I'd be interested to know if it's ok to run acetone / atf mix through. I've found it generally ruins spray bottles after a fairly short period.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

Holy gently caress, you are my hero. I bet I can cut my brakleen usage by 3/4 with one of those.

... mind updating this thread after putting acetone/atf mix in it? I'm afraid the acetone might dissolve the seals or spray head, it tends to have that effect on a whole lot of synthetics.

Sure. I ordered a can just to see.

I will go heavier on the ATF just to be easy on the heads. I imagine they have to make them relatively robust though. HF used to sell them, if you Google Harbor Freight 1102 the manual pops up but there is no mention on the website.

I also have heard people having good success with hand pumps.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...CFeZFMgodijoAjQ

Ed China off Wheeler Dealers uses one of these very extensively throughout the show. I figured as to how many tips and tricks I have picked up off that show, I imagine that this sprayer will work well. He used it on one episode to clean rotors off, which I am taking a stab that he is using some form of brake cleaner on it.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I should try this with my $10 HVLP harbor freight paint gun

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I use this for 50/50 acetone ATf.

3 bucks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-oz-high-pressure-oiler-66350.html

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I picked up the Eastwood 135 MIG welder today. I also got the "master welding kit" which consists of mig pliers, gloves, angle grinder, 3 flap discs, and an auto darkening hood. The distributor I found here in Canada charged the current US prices plus 4% exchange rate fee and the ridiculously high 13% sales tax. All you see here totalled $516 CAD.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
When I learned how to weld auto-darkening hoods did not exist. I've never used one, are they as amazing as they sound?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Yes, doubly so if you are stick welding.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

revmoo posted:

When I learned how to weld auto-darkening hoods did not exist. I've never used one, are they as amazing as they sound?

They're not astounding or anything (best for stick welding, to be honest), but they're pretty fabulous all around. I certainly don't like welding with a passive hood anymore unless I'm in the field.

Certainly worth picking up one of the cheap ones from Harbor Freight or something.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Auto darkening masks are the poo poo. Mine has darkness, sensitivity and delay controls. If it wasn't for the lovely headband design on mine that broke and resists being patched I'd say it was perfect for me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

revmoo posted:

They are amazing. Get one - a good one.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

The guy at the shop accidentally gave me the wide view hood instead of the normal one from the kit. The wide view makes a huge difference over the standard hood.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So one of the last things in my "portable tool setup" (not air) I need is a good torque wrench. Currently I'm using this fine specimen which has actually gotten me through quite a bit. It's done everything I've thrown at it from suspension to engine rebuilds. Problem is people laugh at it and it's not as accurate (easy to go over). Ideally I'd like a nicer click-style one, although the non-digital Craftsman one (which is on a nice sale) gets much worse reviews than the digital one which seems a little unnecessarily complicated but kind of cool. There's also this option which is maybe made by Snap-on? I like the idea of craftsman, because when it breaks I can take it in and get it replaced for free, rather than sending it out in the mail. That being said I'd rather it not break every month, like some of the reviews seem to indicate. Anyone have some sound advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
What about a $20 clicker wrench from Harbor Freight? People have checked their accuracy and it's quite good, within +/-5% or so of where it should be. I haven't had any problems with mine.