Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I think marines were slightly favored. I guess we'll see! I'm really happy for the gorge changes; tunnels were useless at 30 res. Now, it's something to research after your first upgrade and while waiting for the second hive to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The nano changes I can *kinda* understand if they didn't like the comm nanoing buildings, but what was wrong with the price of IPs and upgrades?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bhodi posted:

I think marines were slightly favored. I guess we'll see! I'm really happy for the gorge changes; tunnels were useless at 30 res. Now, it's something to research after your first upgrade and while waiting for the second hive to finish.
It makes notshift game starts way more viable. I was really hoping they'd do this. Their ghetto-celerity/shift will make leaving shift to third hive much more viable.

Dyz posted:

The nano changes I can *kinda* understand if they didn't like the comm nanoing buildings, but what was wrong with the price of IPs and upgrades?
Yeah that seems like a needless kick in the teeth.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 6, 2013

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

quote:

Distress beacon sound has no longer a distance restriction.

I'm assuming the word "Has" played leapfrog here and there is no distance restriction?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
So you can hear beacons from across the map?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
And from your AFK bio-break.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just finished a game, and of all aliens, Onos manages to be the absolute worst for me to use - although I had a reason this time with the Onos stuck in runaway mode, where it was constantly charging, and I could not get the drat thing to stand still. Is this a bug anyone else has encountered?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

M. Propagandalf posted:

Just finished a game, and of all aliens, Onos manages to be the absolute worst for me to use - although I had a reason this time with the Onos stuck in runaway mode, where it was constantly charging, and I could not get the drat thing to stand still. Is this a bug anyone else has encountered?
Stuck shift key? Had you recently shift-tabbed to steam overlay and back? Not heard it as a problem for NS2 but I've seen it happen in other games.

As an aside, does anyone know why ctrl is crouch/sneak and shift special movement for everything in the game EXCEPT skulks, where it's reversed? This has always bugged me.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Nooooo bar music noooooo

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did they finally get rid of the Bar music? If so, this is the best patch ever.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Ahh I loved the bar music.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Limastock posted:

Did they finally get rid of the Bar music? If so, this is the best patch ever.

Bar music was the best part of the map :colbert:

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hated it. I either play with a headset or my speakers and the muddy bass from the music after a few minutes gets to be annoying, specifically with the speakers because I have a small subwoofer and frankly it isnt the best so it made it even worse. Couldnt hear a drat thing in there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I go gorge and gorge up the bar so I can chill and listen to the music while Marines die to my hydras in droves. The bar music is the best thing about that map.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Splicer posted:

I go gorge and gorge up the bar so I can chill and listen to the music while Marines die to my hydras in droves. The bar music is the best thing about that map.

I bet the ***pro*** players didn't like it :jerkbag:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Am I missing something? Tt sounds like the club music on descent was removed, not the bar music on docking. And the "temporary" and "due to a bug" parts make me think it will be back.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

M. Propagandalf posted:

Haven't seen it happen with the shift key, but two or three times I've had something go wrong where the game would think my mouse was held down and I couldn't stop shooting. Randomly clicking and mashing some other keys has fixed it in the past though.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Haven't seen it happen with the shift key, but two or three times I've had something go wrong where the game would think my mouse was held down and I couldn't stop shooting. Randomly clicking and mashing some other keys has fixed it in the past though.

I've experienced this too with this patch. I've also had my crosshair disappear.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What if the music was conditional to a power node? Would that make it fair compromise? (or you end up getting marines secretly hoping the the node is trashed/aliens preserving the node for morale.)

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What if the music was changed to metal? That might be the closest we could get to pleasing everyone.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
Or they made it that NS1 music that was made with sounds from the game.

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo
I just realized that the NS1 aliens hud had the hive status on the upper right corner and you could see the status of hives and the ability that each one was used for. Any reason why that was removed?

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M. Propagandalf posted:

What if the music was conditional to a power node? Would that make it fair compromise? (or you end up getting marines secretly hoping the the node is trashed/aliens preserving the node for morale.)

Thatd be fair I think, but it would also make the aliens less 'funky' since they wouldnt be able to enjoy the music when they control the area or something I guess.

bvlah posted:

I just realized that the NS1 aliens hud had the hive status on the upper right corner and you could see the status of hives and the ability that each one was used for. Any reason why that was removed?

Well you know what type of hive you have by just hitting the evolve key and whenever the hive is taking damage or has taken damage recently you see the health status on the bottom of your hud. Same info but less cluttered hud I guess that is the reason why it was removed.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

AgentF posted:

What if the music was changed to metal? That might be the closest we could get to pleasing everyone.

Eugh, I hate metal with a passion unimaginable to mortal man. This would pretty much be the worst thing ever.

What happened to being able to change the music on the jukebox? I swear I saw something about that on one of the patch note videos. It'd be nice if you, the player, could toggle it on/off or cycle through tracks.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Line Feed posted:

Eugh, I hate metal with a passion unimaginable to mortal man. This would pretty much be the worst thing ever.

What happened to being able to change the music on the jukebox? I swear I saw something about that on one of the patch note videos. It'd be nice if you, the player, could toggle it on/off or cycle through tracks.

All that would lead to is aliens and marines fighting over who gets to pick the next track.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
So it turns out my FPS is around 16-20 most of the time. No wonder I'm so poo poo at this game. I sorta figured my GT240 would be up to the job. Are there any ways to improve performance beyond what I've already tried (lowered to 800x600, disabled VSync, executed with high priority, restricted physics to CPU)?

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

AgentF posted:

So it turns out my FPS is around 16-20 most of the time. No wonder I'm so poo poo at this game. I sorta figured my GT240 would be up to the job. Are there any ways to improve performance beyond what I've already tried (lowered to 800x600, disabled VSync, executed with high priority, restricted physics to CPU)?

Disabling steam overlay seems to help my framerate a bit. You can do this by unchecking "Enable Steam Community In-Game" in the NS2 properties in your Steam library. This game is CPU-bottlenecked for the most part; I have a C2Q @ 3.0GHz and a GTX 460, and I have to play at 1024x768 minimal everything for an FPS I can tolerate (60+ ready room, drops sub 40 during mid-game firefights and later, gets worse on 20+ player servers)

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

The server list is looking really tragic lately. What sucks is I don't think UW is doing anything wrong that would be driving people away. The only complaint I ever hear is that the game is too hard, but all newbies ever had to do was join marines and try to shoot aliens while they learn how it works.

The game needs something more than a content patch to boost counts, but I am not sure what that would be.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It needs to run well on more computers.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
I don't know if Reddit links are discouraged or not, but I just had the most incredible game of NS2 and have to share it with somebody. None of my friends play, so I posted it on reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ns2/comments/1budel/these_are_the_games_ns2_is_all_about/

Really wish I would have recorded it, that was a hell of a PUG.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Major optimisations are the main part of the next big patch I believe.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

New patch I can't even load a game. Screen goes black after 100% precache. Tried several times, can't exit without process killing.

Anyone know what the problem might be? I ran through steam to check for more updates and I verified the cache and it's fine.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I don't know what it is that has all these pubhero khammanders going crag first and telling their teams its the new meta they should adopt, but they get very indignant about the "cheap" tactic of egglocking.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Senethro posted:

I don't know what it is that has all these pubhero khammanders going crag first and telling their teams its the new meta they should adopt, but they get very indignant about the "cheap" tactic of egglocking.

I saw some person a couple weeks ago start ranting at our commander for starting with shift, saying things like "please never ever go shift first again, it's a terrible first hive." I said something along the lines of "nah shift is really nice early on" and he mumbled something about how he could show me statistics but it wasn't worth it. I was pretty baffled.

I've seen several other rounds where someone dogmatically asserts something that completely goes against common strategies and then acts like everyone is doing it. I don't know where that attitude comes from.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I got yelled at a bunch for loving around drunk last night:

I was skulk, hiding in the Cargo rafters, spamming Parasite, because it gives you +1 PRes for each hit. Then I got an Onos.

It was hilariously fun.

I lost it because my gorge decided to bile bomb instead of healspray but whatever

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Score isn't PRes

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Fallom posted:

Score isn't PRes

Oh man if you could get PRes for parasiting. That would be a pretty interesting but game breaking mechanic. Skulks would actually bother to parasite before chomping down.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Then how did I end up with 75pres very quickly doing nothing but parasiting?

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Me in Reverse posted:

Then how did I end up with 75pres very quickly doing nothing but parasiting?

Probably by not dying. When you are dead you miss the res cycle, if you hide up in the rafters, you get one on every tick possible.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'll chalk it up to drunk goggles. I thought it was a great strategy at the time!

• Locked thread