Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Me in Reverse posted:

I got yelled at a bunch for loving around drunk last night:

I was skulk, hiding in the Cargo rafters, spamming Parasite, because it gives you +1 PRes for each hit. Then I got an Onos.

It was hilariously fun.

I lost it because my gorge decided to bile bomb instead of healspray but whatever

Yeah, wait, you get resources for parasite hits? Was there some kind of mod doing this? I mean, good on you for flagging creatures but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Me in Reverse posted:

I'll chalk it up to drunk goggles. I thought it was a great strategy at the time!

Don't worry about it, this is one of those little nuances that you only learn about later. It took me a while to figure out why people could go lerk before I could. It is a pretty good incentive to not play a suicidal skulk.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, wait, you get resources for parasite hits? Was there some kind of mod doing this? I mean, good on you for flagging creatures but still.

He thought score == res, but it doesn't

It's a widespread misconception

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Cowcatcher posted:

He thought score == res, but it doesn't

It's a widespread misconception

I know the difference but was confused by the high pres count.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

TheSpiritFox posted:

New patch I can't even load a game. Screen goes black after 100% precache. Tried several times, can't exit without process killing.

Anyone know what the problem might be? I ran through steam to check for more updates and I verified the cache and it's fine.

I would try deleting my cache folder next. C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\cache

Delete the whole cache folder, or if you want to go all out, you can delete the whole Natural Selection 2 folder (contains game settings and keybinds). Either will be rebuilt next time you run NS2.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fred Dawes posted:

Disabling steam overlay seems to help my framerate a bit. You can do this by unchecking "Enable Steam Community In-Game" in the NS2 properties in your Steam library. This game is CPU-bottlenecked for the most part; I have a C2Q @ 3.0GHz and a GTX 460, and I have to play at 1024x768 minimal everything for an FPS I can tolerate (60+ ready room, drops sub 40 during mid-game firefights and later, gets worse on 20+ player servers)

I read this earlier but wanted to make sure and test it myself but I have almost the same specs as you and my fps never dips below 45 on max settings at 1600x900. I have an amd phenom at 3.0 ghz, 8 gb ram, and an evga gtx 460. Maybe there is something wrong with your pc?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Addict posted:

Don't worry about it, this is one of those little nuances that you only learn about later. It took me a while to figure out why people could go lerk before I could. It is a pretty good incentive to not play a suicidal skulk.

Still going to swarm people at the start of the match.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Addict posted:

Haha but where's the fun in that 30/17 KDR all day every day!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People playing skulks too conservatively is the worst.

There's a nice balance to be struck between ambushing and rolling the hell in with your bros. Too often I see someone hang back from a group of 3 or 4 skulks.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Opinionated posted:

I would try deleting my cache folder next. C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\cache

Delete the whole cache folder, or if you want to go all out, you can delete the whole Natural Selection 2 folder (contains game settings and keybinds). Either will be rebuilt next time you run NS2.

Ok. I did this. Now it goes black after it says load finishes forever before it drops me in the waiting room. Like 10-15 seconds black screen before it loads the team choose area. And then it disconnects. Tried 4 different servers with sub 80 pings showing in the browser, connect to server and then timeout from lack of contact. I can play StarCraft and TF2 without any problems. It's only since this last patch that I've ever had a problem with this game. Don't know what the gently caress.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallom posted:

People playing skulks too conservatively is the worst.

No, the constant team stack and 'too elite' clan dudes who just berate new players are the worst. I recommended shift first today and got told it was a 'pub noob strat' among other things. Some of the people who play this game are a serious turn off for me. Sometimes the community is great and people help new players, communicate well and are chill, but other times I play and just want to smoke and play a few rounds and it is totally ruined by really rude and tempemental players. ~online gaming~ in a nut shell but still.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Edit: Just play more on goon servers.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 8, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Elitism has seriously ramped up over the past month or so, I don't know what's happening. :sigh: This game had such a great community when it launched.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Speaking of which NS2Goons hasn't been updated for the new patch yet. :(

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Limastock posted:

I read this earlier but wanted to make sure and test it myself but I have almost the same specs as you and my fps never dips below 45 on max settings at 1600x900. I have an amd phenom at 3.0 ghz, 8 gb ram, and an evga gtx 460. Maybe there is something wrong with your pc?

So I upped my resolution to monitor native (1680x1050) and I got similar frame rates. A month ago, this would have been unplayable, but I guess the optimizations recently boosted my performance more than I realized. I have 4GB RAM, my GTX 460 is the lower-end 768MB model, and my gaming HDD makes ominous clicking noises due to it's age; Looking forward to better performance in future patches still.

VVV I sent this to tech-support@unknownworlds.com per their hacker reporting policies:

quote:

I was playing a late-night game (Midnight CST 4/3/2013) and a player named "inv. Joe!" joined (NS2ID = 148532) and ended up with 44 kills and 4 deaths before the aliens quit. His aim would snap to targets and not waver, which looked very suspicious versus stationary targets like the skulks he would spawncamp. It made for very unenjoyable gameplay, so I checked and found the real Joe's NS2Stats profile and it had a different NS2ID. He later admitted to hacking and belittled anyone who called him out on it for implying UWE would take any action against hackers.

Unfortunately I did not have Fraps running so I cannot submit any proof. If any other plays come forward with proof about this player, please consider it thoroughly.

I also linked them my forum profile and ns2stats page. You can view a player's NS2ID via the sv_status command. You can use this to find their ns2stats page via Google. Their NS2Stats page links to their steam profile. UWE doesn't like name-and-shame on the forums, so send them an e-mail with any proof you have. Be ever vigilant! Every hacker banned is another 25$ until they can play NS2 again.

Fred Dawes fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 8, 2013

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Motherfucking troll commanders recycling everything everywhere tonight. I've also been called a friend of the family in two different servers. WOOO!!!

e: Just jumped to another server, this guy is everywhere. Avoid inv. Joe! like the plague. Wish I knew how to get a SteamID on him.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 8, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I joined a game yesterday to find a fade camping the Marine IPs spawn-killing the all-green three man Marine team. When I destroyed the IPs he gave out to me for being a "spoilsport". What's the thread policy on naming and shaming? Because gently caress that guy.

Koramei posted:

Elitism has seriously ramped up over the past month or so, I don't know what's happening. :sigh: This game had such a great community when it launched.
When the game hit launch the only people playing the game were people who desperately wanted to see it succeed, and as such had a lot invested in not being cockbags to new players (and due to the big lead-in, long Beta etc there was a much larger established community than usual for a newly released game). The population has drastically increased since launch, a decent portion of whom were always going to be complete dickholes (as with all online games). One cause of the recent surge in elitism is due to the first big wave of new players reaching a level of experience with the game that they feel superior enough to those real noobs to let their jerk flag fly. So now the game is in that delightful stage of flux all newly expanded communities go through where we see if the portion of not-quite-new-anymore members who are elitist douchebags remains a minority (and ideally gets driven away due to ending up on blacklists/ignore-on-sight), or if the reverse happens and the toxic players end up driving away the new blood that are actually fun to play with.

e: Obviously there were elitist douchebags in the original community but it's harder to be a dick when everyone else on the server has no idea what they are doing or is telling you to shut the hell up; when there's other people more than happy to join in the pile-on it becomes much easier.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 8, 2013

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Visual Sneeze posted:

Motherfucking troll commanders recycling everything everywhere tonight. I've also been called a friend of the family in two different servers. WOOO!!!

e: Just jumped to another server, this guy is everywhere. Avoid inv. Joe! like the plague. Wish I knew how to get a SteamID on him.

Fred Dawes posted:

I also linked them my forum profile and ns2stats page. You can view a player's NS2ID via the sv_status command. You can use this to find their ns2stats page via Google. Their NS2Stats page links to their steam profile. UWE doesn't like name-and-shame on the forums, so send them an e-mail with any proof you have. Be ever vigilant! Every hacker banned is another 25$ until they can play NS2 again.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198088004280/

That's his steam profile page.

That is from his steam profile if anyone can't see it.

His ID for NS2 is 127738552

I had him on Knife the Hippo and got his info while he was still connected.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Lol someone is impersonating Joe and hacking with his name? That's terrible! Joe is a good guy.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Do you know it's not actually him?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
In my experience, Joe is normally really quiet in pubs. The faker joe has been all over voice and text this weekend.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198073658889/ is one of his buddies that rolls with him. Didn't appear to be aimbotting like the fake joe but they were both jumping into the chair/hive and spamming medpacks/mists all Saturday night.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Garfu posted:

Lol someone is impersonating Joe and hacking with his name? That's terrible! Joe is a good guy.

He also impersonates ADHD and Jewbear from what I've heard

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Also woops I'll update NS2Goons when I get home.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Splicer posted:

When the game hit launch the only people playing the game were people who desperately wanted to see it succeed, and as such had a lot invested in not being cockbags to new players (and due to the big lead-in, long Beta etc there was a much larger established community than usual for a newly released game). The population has drastically increased since launch, a decent portion of whom were always going to be complete dickholes (as with all online games). One cause of the recent surge in elitism is due to the first big wave of new players reaching a level of experience with the game that they feel superior enough to those real noobs to let their jerk flag fly. So now the game is in that delightful stage of flux all newly expanded communities go through where we see if the portion of not-quite-new-anymore members who are elitist douchebags remains a minority (and ideally gets driven away due to ending up on blacklists/ignore-on-sight), or if the reverse happens and the toxic players end up driving away the new blood that are actually fun to play with.

e: Obviously there were elitist douchebags in the original community but it's harder to be a dick when everyone else on the server has no idea what they are doing or is telling you to shut the hell up; when there's other people more than happy to join in the pile-on it becomes much easier.
I half-agree: you're right about the new assholes, probably, but in terms of why people were so nice at first, part of it might be that they wanted the game to succeed, but I think a much much larger part is that the NS community has always been preternaturally nice.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bhodi posted:

I check it everytime a play it's empty unless it is a weekend night or something.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I half-agree: you're right about the new assholes, probably, but in terms of why people were so nice at first, part of it might be that they wanted the game to succeed, but I think a much much larger part is that the NS community has always been preternaturally nice.

Except towards new commanders, in my experience. Every once and a while I would find a team that's OK with a newbie to the chair/station/hive, but the overwhelming majority of the games I've been in with a new guy commanding haven't ended well for said commander.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

apostateCourier posted:

Except towards new commanders, in my experience. Every once and a while I would find a team that's OK with a newbie to the chair/station/hive, but the overwhelming majority of the games I've been in with a new guy commanding haven't ended well for said commander.
If the commander says "I'm new at commanding!" first thing, has some kind of clue how the game actually works, and listens when half the team says "Oh god no don't do that!", in my experience it's usually a pretty fun experience all around.

If they do two of the three, with at least one of them being the last one, it'll probably go well pretty well. It's like upgrades, with "listening" being the Crag of the triad (knowing how the game works is Shade Hive).

Fake Edit: Also have a mic. Having a mic isn't an upgrade, having a mic is, I don't know, harvesters.

If you jump in the command chair, spam turrets, ignore your team, and ragequit five minutes in with a final "gently caress YUO IM NEW" into alltalk, well that's sad but what did you think was going to happen.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

OK NS2Goons is up and updated, sorry about that. Need more admins, just PM me your ns2id (it shows up in the console when you first start the game) and I'll add you. More people that can force random the better.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Adorable/heartfelt video from Hugh/NS2HD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa_LLs9XD_w

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

The real inv. Joe! is in NS2Goons right now!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
So stay the gently caress out if you don't want to get rolled!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

quote:

GenericOverusedName killed poopquaker with Xenocide
NuclearShadow killed f0urt3 with Spikes
GenericOverusedName killed Buck Nasty with Xenocide
GenericOverusedName killed The Phantom Derpsto with Xenocide
Chat Team 0 - Combat: GenericOver: !! Level UP !! New Lvl: Rampager (6)
GenericOverusedName killed TOMB RAIDER with Xenocide
GenericOverusedName killed furious fellah with Xenocide
killed GenericOverusedName with None
Chat All - poopquaker: WTF
Rufio killed kingstrider with Spit
Chat All - The Phantom Derpsto: =[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
Chat All - GenericOverusedName: ahahahahahahaahahha
Chat All - The Phantom Derpsto: YOU'RE A HARLOT.
Chat All - NuclearShadow: Uninstall

I need to stop playing combat, but it is so hilarious at times :allears:

Yes that was all with one skulk explosion.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.

GenericOverusedName posted:

I need to stop playing combat, but it is so hilarious at times :allears:

Yes that was all with one skulk explosion.

Oh man, I was there, that was loving hilarious.

I just went fast xeno on another combat server, this poo poo is overpowered and hilarious.

Edit : this server needs better moderation, holy poo poo some terrible people join this server that I usually don't see on other servers. I really feel like it's the Reddit server sometimes.

Ryen Deckard fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 9, 2013

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Was nice to see ns2goons going again. I have lost my rhythm as commander though, how early should I grab gorge tunnels? I am guessing after leap but before blink and stomp and possibly spores.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Addict posted:

Was nice to see ns2goons going again. I have lost my rhythm as commander though, how early should I grab gorge tunnels? I am guessing after leap but before blink and stomp and possibly spores.

I usually see it getting researched while the second hive is being built.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

Addict posted:

That one guy called you a "beta male human being." Jesus christ, we need more admins on that server, somebody named All In | Jewbear (probably not the actual jewbear) crashed the server by killing himself over and over.

As for your question, whenever you want dude. It's up to your team's strategy really. I'm more of a shift first commander, but gorge tunnels are really good in certain situations and cheap enough to be the first thing you research now, with the right team.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Ryen Deckard posted:

That one guy called you a "beta male human being."

Ha, I didn't know he was a troll at the time, so I stepped out thinking I was loving up the game. So I guess the troll worked. The round was pretty much over, they had pushed double and were making their way into both sides. I figured I would let some one else take a shot. Never get out of the chair I guess.

Usually that type of poo poo comes from 4chan, so I don't really care what a person from /v/ thinks of me. It is pretty easy to gently caress up an entire round if you jump in the com seat, so I can see why NS2 is a target.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 9, 2013

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

Addict posted:

Ha, I didn't know he was a troll at the time, so I stepped out thinking I was loving up the game. So I guess the troll worked. The round was pretty much over, they had pushed double and were making their way into both sides. I figured I would let some one else take a shot. Never get out of the chair I guess.

Usually that type of poo poo comes from 4chan, so I don't really care what a person from /v/ thinks of me. It is pretty easy to gently caress up an entire round if you jump in the com seat, so I can see why NS2 is a target.

The only thing that surprises me is that I barely see this on official servers or other servers I play on, but it happened pretty constantly on the NS2goons server while I was playing tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yeah, no offense, but I don't really like to play on the goon servers that much. Either there's some idiot trolls ruining everything, or some obscenely good players like Garfu are on and make it hilariously one sided all the time.

• Locked thread