Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've heard several things why the fleet hasn't gotten those engines. Most of them tie back to money. The CFM56 isn't a huge difference in power vs the TF-33A's we run. What you get is improved fuel burn to the tune of saving ~3k an hour. Basically the USAF has a massive inventory of TF-33's so when the motors go bad, it's not a problem pulling one out. You're also talking about that if the fleet ever does get re-engined, performance data needs to be re-accomplished which is a huge expense. Us getting electronic data programs took years plus millions of dollars. Not to mention that the airframe hasn't been stressed for the engine as well in terms of its power output and such. Common sense says that if an utterly similar airframe like the KC-135R can operate it well, so can we.

I guess how the USAF sees is that the upgrade isn't worth the cost when there's other poo poo that needs cash thrown at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

DrCuntmuffins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQLrbfxeiQ

If you haven't seen it already.

Good lord these guys are awful at shooting. I mean holy poo poo.

Well it's not like they have any ammo to train with,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NBUiA3Tjs

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
^^^^ I want to believe that's dubbed over, but I see their mouths moving with the pewpewpewpewpew. Please tell me I'm wrong or it's satire.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I had to do that poo poo in MCT because during the FEX at the end our MG had a broken bolt carrier so the guy I was sharing a hole with was screaming BANG BANG BANG in his thick rear end South Jersey accent at one dude with an M16 and a smoke grenade.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bolow posted:

I had to do that poo poo in MCT because during the FEX at the end our MG had a broken bolt carrier so the guy I was sharing a hole with was screaming BANG BANG BANG in his thick rear end South Jersey accent at one dude with an M16 and a smoke grenade.

I hate that poo poo so much. God forbid we loving practice a weapon malfunctioning in combat, or something.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Bolow posted:

I had to do this for an entire defensive ex when my C9(M249) basically broke and was NS for the next week.

I had to shout "BRAAAAAP! BRAAAAAAAAAP! BRAAAAAP!" and would get yelled at when my BRAAAAP was too long, as I was not doing a proper burst.

:canada:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That is how 9/10ths of sub / antisubmarine training is conducted.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MA-Horus posted:

I had to do this for an entire defensive ex when my C9(M249) basically broke and was NS for the next week.

I had to shout "BRAAAAAP! BRAAAAAAAAAP! BRAAAAAP!" and would get yelled at when my BRAAAAP was too long, as I was not doing a proper burst.

:canada:

I didn't realize this was an international phenomenon.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
It's all about doing either "SAW, SAAAAAWWWWWWW!!!" (length depends on rate of fire) or "Bu-Bu-Bu-Budget Cuts!". I will admit I'm also partial to "Peanut Peanut Butter Jelly!" for gun teams practicing talking M240s. Granted we do that whenever we are in our company area practicing or we aren't allocated nearly enough blanks.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
We had a guy during a drill who was supposed to be simulating a close-in torpedo detonation (that would set off flooding, loss of steering hydraulics, several other minor casualties). When it came time for the torp to "hit", he keyed up the 1MC and unintentionally let loose with the most San Fransisco sissy stereotype "bewwwwmmm!" squeal you can possibly imagine. Instead of taking their immediate actions, people were dying laughing, and for a while there were running jokes about the special actions required when your hull was penetrated by the Gay Torpedo.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

BaconAndBullets posted:

Granted we do that whenever we are in our company area practicing or we aren't allocated nearly enough blanks.

You say that like its a bad thing. Blanks are dirty and have minimal training value.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

God I hate notional shooting and "butta butta jam" at least give us bfas and blanks. Once we hiked with all that fancy laser tag poo poo and didn't use it because we would have to police call the brass at night.

So we ambushed a position at night, walked into their defense, yelled bang bang bang/butta butta jam. And then walked out.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Veins McGee posted:

You say that like its a bad thing. Blanks are dirty and have minimal training value.

(click through for huge)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

iyaayas01 posted:

(click through for huge)

This AF train have something to do with nukes?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

This AF train have something to do with nukes?

Nope, coal train up at the Eielson power plant (also transporting other random poo poo around Eielson because the base is so big/dispersed).

Since you mentioned the (aborted, never deployed) Peacekeeper railway garrison car, though:

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

BaconAndBullets posted:

It's all about doing either "SAW, SAAAAAWWWWWWW!!!" (length depends on rate of fire) or "Bu-Bu-Bu-Budget Cuts!". I will admit I'm also partial to "Peanut Peanut Butter Jelly!" for gun teams practicing talking M240s. Granted we do that whenever we are in our company area practicing or we aren't allocated nearly enough blanks.

They made us do the "die mother fucker die" for our burst lengths.

Look at this poor bastard.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So colorful :swoon:

Is that a refueling, uh, thingy (drogue?) that the one in front is dragging? Didn't think they could buddy-tank or something.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

movax posted:

So colorful :swoon:

Is that a refueling, uh, thingy (drogue?) that the one in front is dragging? Didn't think they could buddy-tank or something.

Yeah, the Russians pretty much rely on buddy tanking for cross country flights since they really don't have too many dedicated tankers

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Syrian rebels built a new toy, which I've written about here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2i_RaYLjk

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Had to look up Peacekeeper missles after seeing that rail car, and ended up find this sexy rear end missle: Pershing II

Click for big

Fallows fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 11, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

Someone's learned their IRA lesson.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Val Kilmer on the left should probably start sticking to light beer.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Brown Moses posted:

Hahahaha, did anyone else get an ad that started with a screen advising you "When operating power tools, be sure to take appropriate safety precautions"?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've spent the last two months trying to figure out what kind of warhead this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ScHMZMHfo4

I've given up trying, and blogged about it, so if anyone knows that would help ease my arms ID OCD.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Is that a Shahab-3 NRV?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

grover posted:

Is that a Shahab-3 NRV?

The problem is they match a few different missile and rockets Assad has, but the only way to be sure is getting a photo or diagram of what's inside. There's a great close-up of what's inside in the video I posted, so any reference images could probably be easily matched.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
It could be a re-purposed Dong Fen 15 or 31 judging by the size and shape.

Edit: Coworker who's a bit of a missile nerd says it looks like an Indian Agni series rocket

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 12, 2013

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The little Bradley( or CV90?) that could?

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 12, 2013

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

GyverMac posted:

The little Bradley( or CV90?) that could?

"I think I can I think I can I think I can I think I can..."

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

loving privates on the grass again.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wasabi the J posted:

I didn't realize this was an international phenomenon.

The last ex I had in the CF we were suffering such a shortage of 105 rounds for the guns, that they had us firing blanks.

Howitzer blanks

Ceremonial howitzer blanks.

Some rear end in a top hat officer planning this poo poo thought having the guns farting out a bunch of cordite and fouling them all to hell was a great idea

The rest of us were right pissed that we had to use up ALL our TP to clean the barrels out after every goddamn fire mission.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Whats the context on this? Also I want to know if he ruined the magazine.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
His magazine wasn't fully seated so that dude offered his face to be used as part of the immediate action drill.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
What a helpful guy.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Anyone have any idea why there appear to be weights in this Voodoo's nosewheel well? Ballast? They don't seem to be there in the other F-101B I've looked up into.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I would assume they're to balance out the plane, as the nose is generally where you add weights for that. It probably had some equipment removed or added in a place where other ones didn't; or maybe the other planes you looked at had their weights in a different spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Richard Bong posted:

Whats the context on this? Also I want to know if he ruined the magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbNSXJ55HE

• Locked thread