Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

You can crash through barrels with the roll. It's tons of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

rabidsquid posted:

So I've finally gotten around to trying out Demon's Souls, and I have to ask. Is there any point at all in destroying the destructible barrels and stuff like that? Does it lower your weapon durability?
There's a whole thread for Demon's Souls, but sometimes they can hide shiny prizes. Also sometimes they can blow the gently caress up, which may work for or against you. Otherwise, no, it's just smashing things because you can/it's fun/you have some kind of hatred for barrels and wooden furniture.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't trust anyone that needs a reason to smash barrels in video games. They're smashable, therefore you should smash them. That's the way this works. I seriously gave up on Fable pretty quickly after finding out that they discouraged smashing barrels. I'm sorry Fable that you don't know how video games are supposed to work but if you let me smash barrels, I will smash them :colbert:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Welp, finally played through MGS4. It was less confusing then I expected it to be given I had previously read some synopsis and holy poo poo the cut scene lengths but overall I enjoyed the game a lot. I loved a lot of the references to prior games, especially the opening to Act 4 (Act 4 in general is just an overall blast to play).

Curious what the initial reaction was when it came out. I found an old Let's Play topic from YCS and everyone just loving hates it but it seems like now people like it a lot more. Would love to see the original topic if anyone can link it.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I like MGS4. It has very fun gameplay thanks to all of the Westernized changes they added to the mix. They then took that fun gameplay and made it even better in PeaceWalker. I hated the story at first, but as time went on I began to enjoy it more. I do wish the balance between gameplay and cutscenes was more reasonable, but that doesn't ruin the game. Also, it's the game that made Raiden a badass, so it has that going for it too.

gently caress. Just reminded myself that David Hayter isn't Naked Snake in MGS5/Phantom Pain. I think they got Big Boss/The Fury's VA to take the reins? Hopefully this means it will only be a matter of time before Solid Snake and Big Boss meet up. I have a difficult time thinking of MGS without David Hayter.

RichterIX posted:

I doubt we'll ever see another IGA Metroidvania game

Oh God don't say this. :( I love IGA-Vanias so much... even Harmony of Dissonance. God, I love playing Harmony of Despair, even. To me, these games and the pre-IGA classics are Castlevania.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 12, 2013

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Liar Lyre posted:

You can crash through barrels with the roll. It's tons of fun.

Eagerly awaiting the inevitable first patch of barrels in Dark Souls 2 actually hiding a spiked pit underneath.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Revitalized posted:

Eagerly awaiting the inevitable first patch of barrels in Dark Souls 2 actually hiding a spiked pit underneath.

The King's Field equivalent of smashing barrels is mashing X on every single wall looking for a hidden door(like Doom!), and there were totally spikes on the other side of some of those walls. I also remember 1(JP) and 4 having instant death pits where the ground collapses. In KF4 such a pit is literally two steps from where you start the game.

So what I'm saying is that you're correct.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Snake isn't in MGS5 that's big boss. That's why he's not voicing him this time.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

DangerKat posted:

Welp, finally played through MGS4. It was less confusing then I expected it to be given I had previously read some synopsis and holy poo poo the cut scene lengths but overall I enjoyed the game a lot. I loved a lot of the references to prior games, especially the opening to Act 4 (Act 4 in general is just an overall blast to play).

Curious what the initial reaction was when it came out. I found an old Let's Play topic from YCS and everyone just loving hates it but it seems like now people like it a lot more. Would love to see the original topic if anyone can link it.

MGS4 was very well received when it came out except for some purists who thought the improved controls turned it into Gears of War. These days the reaction is more lukewarm because of all those horrendously long cutscenes, bad retcons/plot points (even for MGS) and the poor pacing.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

RBX posted:

Snake isn't in MGS5 that's big boss. That's why he's not voicing him this time.

He has voiced Big Boss at least twice before. It's just in that one section of MGS4 he had a different voice, he was old as gently caress and they'd have to have Hayter talking to himself.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm at the near the end of Guacamelee. This game is so fun and challenging. The combat is really well thought out and has a great feel to it, and some of the platforming is really creative and interesting. Definitely not easy stuff, either. In all honesty, I'm not sure what type of person you'd have to be to not enjoy this game. Its pretty much the best small scale downloadable game I've played in a long time.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Neon Knight posted:

He has voiced Big Boss at least twice before. It's just in that one section of MGS4 he had a different voice, he was old as gently caress and they'd have to have Hayter talking to himself.

So was Snake. And he's literally a clone, so that would have made sense...

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm at the near the end of Guacamelee. This game is so fun and challenging. The combat is really well thought out and has a great feel to it, and some of the platforming is really creative and interesting. Definitely not easy stuff, either. In all honesty, I'm not sure what type of person you'd have to be to not enjoy this game. Its pretty much the best small scale downloadable game I've played in a long time.

Yeah, I love this game, and I really like the crazy precise platforming that shows up. I will say that I don't like the swapping between dimensions in combat though, I find it annoying that enemies can always hurt you, even if you can't hurt them since they're in the opposite dimension. It seems like it would make sense if they just couldn't touch you.

Other than that though, it's pretty amazing.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Kaleidoscope posted:

So was Snake. And he's literally a clone, so that would have made sense...

He's wants Big Boss and Snake to sound different now. Especially since they did in MGS4.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

RBX posted:

He's wants Big Boss and Snake to sound different now. Especially since they did in MGS4.

Yeah, and I'm saying it was silly they sounded different in 4 too.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing Kojima does will ever make sense.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
durrr wrong thread

HotCheetoChallenge fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 12, 2013

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The PS3 version is 9 bucks.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Started playing Mass Effect 3, what DLC should I be getting? From what I've read, 'From Ashes' and 'Leviathan' are a must. What about the other ones?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Started playing Mass Effect 3, what DLC should I be getting? From what I've read, 'From Ashes' and 'Leviathan' are a must. What about the other ones?

The Aria dlc is probably the weakest one. I liked it but it was overall kinda bland. You do get a realyl good movie out of it though.

The Citadel dlc is pretty great. It's really silly and so fan servicey that it kind gets annoying at times, but it has a bunch of really cool parts and is worth it for the arena alone.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Citadel is probably the biggest must play if you want some sort of catharsis from the series as it's a bunch of hanging out as space bros one last time.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Harlock posted:

Citadel is probably the biggest must play if you want some sort of catharsis from the series as it's a bunch of hanging out as space bros one last time.

That actually sounds awesome. I think I have something to do this weekend...

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
I just recently played through MGS4 for the first time as well. The gameplay itself, especially the combat, was great and definitely improved over any previous MGS game. The plot was loving retarded and Kojima is about as subtle as a nuclear explosion when it comes to writing allegories. He also must think we are all idiots because they repeated the same things over and over and over (how many times did they use the phrase "war economy?"). It's definitely worth playing, but I wish I had just cut to the chase and skipped all the cutscenes instead of trying to make sense of them.

lazer_chicken fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 12, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lazer_chicken posted:

I just recently played through MGS4 for the first time as well. The gameplay itself, especially the combat, was great and definitely improved over any previous MGS game. The plot was loving retarded and Kojima is about as subtle as a nuclear explosion when it comes to writing allegories. He also must think we are all idiots because they repeated the same things over and over and over ((how many times did they use the phrase "war economy?"). It's definitely worth playing, but I wish I had just cut to the chase and skipped all the cutscenes instead of trying to make sense of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNrIn8H32c

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's amazing about Metal Gear Rising is that they get almost the entire game without saying "nanomachines" once.

And then finally at the end there's a giant NANOMACHINES!!??!?! moment that makes up for it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's amazing about Metal Gear Rising is that they get almost the entire game without saying "nanomachines" once.

And then finally at the end there's a giant NANOMACHINES!!??!?! moment that makes up for it.

Great, now I know what I have to play after I finish my ME3 run.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish MGS4 just had a chapter select or chapter skip after you complete the game. The stalking part of Act 3 breaks up the flow so badly.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Harlock posted:

I wish MGS4 just had a chapter select or chapter skip after you complete the game. The stalking part of Act 3 breaks up the flow so badly.

The stalking part can be completed in 15 minutes once you know what you're doing, and if you have completed the game you can just wear one of the beauty masks and the guards won't pay attention to you, or you can use the invisibility suit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ineffiable posted:

Great, now I know what I have to play after I finish my ME3 run.
Well, there are other reasons you should play MGRR too, like it being almost pure awesome. It's just too short, and the camera is a bitch sometimes, that's about all that is wrong with it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, there are other reasons you should play MGRR too, like it being almost pure awesome. It's just too short, and the camera is a bitch sometimes, that's about all that is wrong with it.

Oh I'm already partway through it (fought octopus lady) and it's a cool game with cool bosses, I just needed to get back to it.

I know finishing it will be hard because I'm gonna want to go back and play MGS1-4, Bayonetta and probably try to do MGRR on Hard.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Forgive the redundancy of praise, but I'm (what I assume is) near the end of Guacamelee and boy howdy this game is just, entertaining. It pleases you on deep down levels.

At first I found the combat a little stiff but once you figure out / discover combos (nothing weird, all makes sense... like punch punch pop-up, jump, dash punch, punch, punch, grab-slam, slam.) the flow just becomes stellar and you feel like a badass.

The Metroidy "abilities" have great uses in combat as well as traversal, unlocking new areas, and even just less obvious things like traversing huge gaps in ways you wouldn't think.

It's just a swell game and I hope to GOD there is a sequel.

The Goat Dude is the best dude ever.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

El Hefe posted:

The stalking part can be completed in 15 minutes once you know what you're doing, and if you have completed the game you can just wear one of the beauty masks and the guards won't pay attention to you, or you can use the invisibility suit.

Actually, pretty sure it's any Face Camo other than Young Snake that lets you do that. And even if you cause enough trouble somehow to get that Face Camo blacklisted, just switch to another and it'll work just as well.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

This is potentially a dumb question, but it's a dumb question I'm curious about. So in Guacamelee, I see there's a separate character for player 2. Can this character be played in single player, or do they only exist in a two player game?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I haven't played it but I'm guessing they only exist in two-player mode.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Anyone else here receive an email like the one below from thevoice@euro.confirmit.com inviting them to join "Playstation Voice"? Seems fishy (or should that be phishy?) and google turns up nothing but could be legit I guess. The registration link points to a page at http://survey.euro.confirmit.com/ which I'm too chicken to visit just in case.

quote:

Hi [my real first name]

PlayStation® would like you to join an exciting new online community about gaming and the future of entertainment!

Sound interesting? Find out more…
We’re calling the community website “PlayStation Voice” and you’ll be joining a select few hundred people to share their opinions on a variety of different subjects, such as:

What you think of new developments in software and hardware from PlayStation®
What you and your family want from a gaming entertainment system
What you think of new game ideas/developments
What games you love to play – whether on a console or on the go

Spaces are strictly limited and if you’re one of the lucky few selected you will receive access to exclusive news and content and PlayStation® goodies. All we’re asking for is 5-10 minutes each time we chat about a topic on site.

How do I join?
We’re looking for all types of people to join – so why not find out if you’re eligible by clicking on the link below. The registration survey only takes 5 minutes to complete and if successful you can become a member and access the site immediately. So why don’t you find out if it’s for you?

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

Thanks in advance for your interest – you’ll be making a real difference to the products and services PlayStation® create and how they communicate them to the world.

Owen, Josh and Sally
The PlayStation Voice community team

If you want to know more about the community (which is run by Join the Dots) before you decide, you can click here to see some FAQs. Or you can always drop us an email at: community@playstationvoice.co.uk

© Join the Dots, Faulkner House, Faulkner Street, Manchester, M1 4DY.

Taratang fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 12, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is in regards to a discussion from a few pages back, but I really think the lack of B-tier video games is holding back games as a whole. Right now, we pretty much have 2 options. The indie game and the AAA game. The AAA game will never progress in it's current state because publishers don't want to take any chances with massive budgets, and indie games will always be limited due to lack of budget and manpower. I refuse to believe there isn't a middle ground between these games made on a shoestring budget and games that cost 50 million+ to make. Also, B-tier is kind of a bad term because it suggests an inferior product. I you look at the movie industry it's pretty obvious that a bigger budget doesn't usually mean it's better movie.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 12, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think that's true. I'd classify popular games like Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, Just Cause 2, the Lego games, and tons of others as B. Or at least something less than AAA.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

This is in regards to a discussion from a few pages back, but I really think the lack of B-tier video games is holding back games as a whole. Right now, we pretty much have 2 options. The indie game and the AAA game. The AAA game will never progress in it's current state because publishers don't want to take any chances with massive budgets, and indie games will always be limited due to lack of budget and manpower. I refuse to believe there isn't a middle ground between these games made on a shoestring budget and games that cost 50 million+ to make.
I still don't understand why it hasn't fallen into the pattern of the book or music industry, where the megahits help finance a whole range of other products at different funding levels.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still don't understand why it hasn't fallen into the pattern of the book or music industry, where the megahits help finance a whole range of other products at different funding levels.

If I had to attribute it to anything, I'd guess that the people who make those calls in the book/music industry are much more passionate about their mediums than the people in the games industry. AAA budgets have also just gotten so ridiculous in development + marketing that it seems there's almost never any funds left to do that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think that's true. I'd classify popular games like Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, Just Cause 2, the Lego games, and tons of others as B. Or at least something less than AAA.

Wasn't Dragons Dogma the most expensive game Capcom has ever released? Either way those games are in the minority. Usually games you would call B tier are AAA games that got flubbed somewhere along the line and ended up sucking like Homefront.

Dark Souls is a good example though. It was done for 25 million I believe (demon's Souls was like a 5th of that) , which is less than half of the budget of your average AAA game. They were able to experiment and make a really unique game and take some risk since there was less money at stake, and it ended up being a hit that made them a lot of money. I think the industry needs to use that business model more, because AAA games are so loving stale that I can barely stand playing most of them at this point. Even the ones that do it really well like Bioshock infinite aren't changing the formula enough to keep it fresh imo.

• Locked thread