Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I can't decide if the medpack CD is too long or too short which probably means it's about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I can't decide if the medpack CD is too long or too short which probably means it's about right.

I think it was needed since more than once last night while playing, I survived multiple 2+ skulk rushes to repair on Mineshaft because of very precise and expert medpak spamming by the commander. Maybe 6 res, but it secured repair for the rest of the game for us. I look forward to the changes on Tram, I know that was a really balanced map, but it was always shite when it was a warehouse/server start. :(

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Garfu posted:

Welp, rline and I are on our way to Germany. I think there are a few other goons on the other team also heading there. Make sure to check out the finals on Friday at 2pm est!

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/nsl

:patriot:

Nooooo who will update the server

GL tho!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

I think it was needed since more than once last night while playing, I survived multiple 2+ skulk rushes to repair on Mineshaft because of very precise and expert medpak spamming by the commander. Maybe 6 res, but it secured repair for the rest of the game for us. I look forward to the changes on Tram, I know that was a really balanced map, but it was always shite when it was a warehouse/server start. :(

I had a similar situation where I was backed into a corner with nothing but my axe, and the commander saw fit to shower me with medkits. The fade that died as a result was very, very confused.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Cowcatcher posted:

Nooooo who will update the server

GL tho!

Ya, terrible timing. I'm at the gate waiting to board.

I set up an account for Zigmidge on the admin panel so hopefully he sees this and can update the server.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Zigmidge posted:

Hear hear!
Besides, silence first is fun as hell and is so rare that it still has novelty value. I don't care if we lose because we're stuck to two hives with no crag, those first ten minutes as a silent skulk and lerk were spectacular. We're here to have fun after all, non? Queue the disagreeing people ignoring how my focus is fun, again. Gotta win those pub games at all costs!

I like how this post assumes that your fun is not only the only fun that matters but also the only fun worth having. You are an idiot.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maximusi posted:

I've been a fan of this game since it came out years and years ago and I can't play NS2 because I have a Mac. :( For chrissakes make the Mac version already!

Are you crazy? This is :pcgaming: PC GAMING :pcgaming:

Now go take your awesome computer and edit some photographs or something!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I have been playing a LOT of Combat lately, and I've fallen in love with the railgun. Feels so good snapping off a shot and vaporizing an alien.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Me in Reverse posted:

gently caress that, they are.

Depends on the mod. They should just make force_random the server default.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Tsurupettan posted:

I have been playing a LOT of Combat lately, and I've fallen in love with the railgun. Feels so good snapping off a shot and vaporizing an alien.

God, the rail is amazing. My aim isn't too hot though, so I should be going mini exo instead. But I just can't resist!

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I'm hoping one day there is a belly slide map similar to the old tribes ski maps, with enough momentum to do loops. I did see a lerk the other night using the glide mechanic along the ground, and it made him move much faster than normal gliding would ever allow, and it definitely reminded me of skiing. We were on our way to losing but this guy held out against 3 exos in one room (didn't kill any, but he picked off a dozen light armours and lived until the game was over - at least 15 minutes).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haha I had a guy start yelling at me for taking out an enemy harvester instead of assaulting a hive alone, then get really sarcastic when I told him his hot strat wasn't so great. Online games own.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Garfu posted:

Ya, terrible timing. I'm at the gate waiting to board.

I set up an account for Zigmidge on the admin panel so hopefully he sees this and can update the server.

Done.

SpiritFox, you're reaching.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Line Feed posted:

God, the rail is amazing. My aim isn't too hot though, so I should be going mini exo instead. But I just can't resist!

I probably wouldn't take a railgun in a normal game. The reason I love combat so much is I can play all this stuff without performance anxiety of 'oh god wasted pres'. :shobon:

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I've been drawn to the railgun exo ever since I went as one on Mineshaft, passed through the Gap, and blasted a mini-base (crags, shift, harvester, hydras) in the NW corner of Central Drilling from across the room in a very efficient manner.

My aim is so bad usually that I can't hit anything aside from a hive even with dual miniguns. I feel like it's worth it for me to go railgun and get a lucky shot off or find a stationary fade for a moment to get that damage concentrated in one burst rather than .2 seconds of hitting a target with miniguns followed by blasting away at the floor until I overheat.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Railgun exos are especially fantastic for backing up big pushes; I've only played with exos less than a dozen times ever, but it's easy to be useful in a rail exo if you hang out at the back of the pack and have somewhat decent aim, since unlike all the other weapons you get a nice targeting reticule and the ability to shoot through your buddies to hit it. Even if you're a bit trigger-happy and don't have optimal damage, you can provide a nice boost to damage output at chokepoints and intimidate the hell out of most aliens, which can swing the momentum in the marine's favor. Two rail exos, a dual mini exo, and a jetpack welder is an assault team par excellence.

As an aside, Zigmidge, I think the main point of contention here is the 'not telling anyone' bit. That is a bit dickish; it's a team game and you should at least try to give your team strategy heads-ups and work out decent strategy compromises when you can. If you're mostly doing poo poo because it amuses you and gently caress everyone else on the server, that's really only a hair's breadth away from recycle/mist-spamming shenanigans. He might be overstating the case, but I suspect that's the bit that's problematic.

I also don't quite understand the 'gently caress you if you don't like commanding' thing. I command almost exclusively, and I do know it's frustrating when no one is interested in doing so, stalling the game, but that doesn't seem like a good reason to lash out at people or intentionally play 'badcom', even though I see that happen frequently. I guess that's not really directed entirely at you guys, sub-optimal play is not exactly the same thing as intentionally loving over your team, but it reminded me of a phenomenon that confused me.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 11, 2013

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I also don't quite understand the 'gently caress you if you don't like commanding' thing. I command almost exclusively, and I do know it's frustrating when no one is interested in doing so, stalling the game, but that doesn't seem like a good reason to lash out at people or intentionally play 'badcom', even though I see that happen frequently.

It breaks down to 2 scenarios basically:

1) game starts and I jump in the hive. ask people what they want first and such. If no one speaks up then I drop whatever I want.

2) game starts and no one will comm. Finally, to start the game I command because obviously no one else is willing. If that's the case then im going to drop whatever I want. I feel like in this situation if someone feels THAT strongly about not going shade first then they should have jumped in the hive themselves.

I dont think thats lashing out at all. It is more like "well ok, I didnt feel like comming this game but since I pretty much have to I guess ill have fun doing it". I dont see what is so wrong with that, it is a public server and Im not trolling or griefing and honestly, if people really dont like it they can vote>eject. Simple as that.

a creepy colon fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 11, 2013

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, sorry, I edited my edit just before you replied because I realized it sounded rather antagonistic. Sorry. What you're talking about is generally fine, though again, it makes more sense to me give the team at least a token chance of participating in their team's over-arching strategy decisions. If they still don't speak up at that point, then, well, yeah, gently caress'em.

I also have lots and LOTS of bad memories of spawning in, wandering off, having someone else jump in the comm chair or hive before I get back, intentionally badcomming, bitching out the server with WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE COMM'D INSTEAD OF MAKING US WAIT (x) SECONDS, and then the server imploding. Again, this is not necessarily directed at you, I doubt you're either that antagonistic or impatient, but it is reminding me of some very unpleasant recurrences.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 11, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Railgun shots passing through things is amazing. It isn't just friendly players, but also enemy players and structures of both teams. Feels good when the aliens line up and you nail three of them.

NarDmw
Mar 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Hah, had one of those old style NS1 losing games last night on Descent that just put a smile on my face. I'm in total zen mood on marines and our commander is just flipping out. Berating people over the mic, calling everyone idiots and generally making it so nobody would listen to him. I had suggested a few basic strategies (like building phase gates to key areas) which were denied but hey it happens. To top it off there was this guy who basically just sat by a node and demanded it be built for half the match, refusing to move until it was. It was really pissing this guy off and the whole thing was hilarious. Naturally the aliens took over almost all of the map because we were running to places instead of phasing. Eventually this guy rages out of the chair and the dude who only wanted a node jumped in, built himself the node and then ran off. I decide to jump in the chair with the old comm sarcastically praising what would no doubt be my great strategy. I look at my little marine who only wants to build nodes, send him down to shuttle bay and ask "Can you build this node for me?". While having some fun with the team on the mic, I set up a few split pushes by ninja phase gates that took down 4 hives until we were overwhelmed. Old comm apologizes and explains he just gets angry sometimes :3:

Yeah I was there for that game, built the first and third ninja phase gates as well. I knew that we were going to lose on that one and usually I'd just call it quits. However since Descent is a massive map and the alien team was not very good I figured that the ninja phase gate strat would be fun to do. We never really stood a chance to take down all the alien buildings but at least it made for a worthwhile match.

EDIT:
The guy who was fixated on building the power node before anything else was kind of strange you must admit. It was the power node outside of Fabrication (main base) at the security check-in point that really serves no purpose.

NarDmw fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 11, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Guy signed on to build nodes, not deal with this alien bullshit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I also don't quite understand the 'gently caress you if you don't like commanding' thing. I command almost exclusively, and I do know it's frustrating when no one is interested in doing so, stalling the game, but that doesn't seem like a good reason to lash out at people or intentionally play 'badcom', even though I see that happen frequently. I guess that's not really directed entirely at you guys, sub-optimal play is not exactly the same thing as intentionally loving over your team, but it reminded me of a phenomenon that confused me.
I hopped into the command chair on a server with 6 people in it total just so we'd have something to do while we waited for it to fill. None of the other two marines were interested, we were getting bored, I explicitly stated that I am an awful marine com and would basically just be practising and one of the aliens said he could reset the game when more people showed up.

A couple of minutes into me slowly plowing through the cookie-cutter Sub Sector start procedure we got a rush of people and the Marines filled up with Super Serious German Players.

It. Was. Hilarious. The best part was when they split into two teams and launched two simultaneous assaults resulting in angry, angry german accents screaming contradictory orders at me for continuous medpack drops while we're running off two-and-a-half extractors while I (not having marine commed in at least... three months?) was still trying to remember how to bind keygroups. By the end it was just constant stream of "badcom" in voice and text chat.

Entire match? Two eject votes. Total.

e: Should probably say that I was trying my best, I just don't have good medpack (and, later, beacon) reaction times.
Except for one bit where I deliberately poked the angriest of the german players but seriously the guy was hilarious, otherwise I really was trying

NarDmw posted:

Yeah I was there for that game, built the first and third ninja phase gates as well. I knew that we were going to lose on that one and usually I'd just call it quits. However since Descent is a massive map and the alien team was not very good I figured that the ninja phase gate strat would be fun to do. We never really stood a chance to take down all the alien buildings but at least it made for a worthwhile match.
Different match, different server. I was on the Alien team while a Marine was telling me out-of-game how they were begging and pleading with their commander to build Phase Gates, which he was refusing to do because they were "too expensive".
Next match, myself and the Marine Com are on Aliens. Very first thing he says? "Can we research Gorge tunnels" :psyduck:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 11, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Speaking of exos, I do a thing with dual exos where I'll fire one gun for a second, start firing the second, then let the first cool off while firing the second, and just constantly alternate. It lets me have a continuous stream of fire without worrying overly much about overheating.

Has anyone else done this? It seems like I'm the only one.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

^^ That's good if you want to cover someone or an area to keep aliens out. You can keep a constant stream of scary sounding bullets going. If you're killing poo poo though you should use both at once for max damage output.

Railgun exos are especially fantastic for backing up big pushes; I've only played with exos less than a dozen times ever, but it's easy to be useful in a rail exo if you hang out at the back of the pack and have somewhat decent aim, since unlike all the other weapons you get a nice targeting reticule and the ability to shoot through your buddies to hit it. Even if you're a bit trigger-happy and don't have optimal damage, you can provide a nice boost to damage output at chokepoints and intimidate the hell out of most aliens, which can swing the momentum in the marine's favor. Two rail exos, a dual mini exo, and a jetpack welder is an assault team par excellence.

If you're shy this is the best way to come to grips with the rail gun. Be support, don't push out and shoot your teammates feet because there are three skulks swarming that dualexo he can't hit. Time your exo purchases too, if your team puts down a couple of Onos, buy one asap! They'll be stuck with life forms that you can one or two shot for a while and you'll be a bigger terror than an actual dual exo.

quote:

As an aside, Zigmidge, I think the main point of contention here is the 'not telling anyone' bit. That is a bit dickish; it's a team game and you should at least try to give your team strategy heads-ups and work out decent strategy compromises when you can. If you're mostly doing poo poo because it amuses you and gently caress everyone else on the server, that's really only a hair's breadth away from recycle/mist-spamming shenanigans. He might be overstating the case, but I suspect that's the bit that's problematic.

Well that is certainly eye opening. Thanks for showing me the other perspective. I was just saying that shade first ain't so bad and it can be super fun. I didn't realize that by not addressing the not telling people part I was condoning it. And I'm pretty sure I wasn't promoting any kind of comm trolling.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

Volmarias posted:

Speaking of exos, I do a thing with dual exos where I'll fire one gun for a second, start firing the second, then let the first cool off while firing the second, and just constantly alternate. It lets me have a continuous stream of fire without worrying overly much about overheating.

I do this for suppressing fire, but when the onos comes in, you're boned if you don't have two fully cooled minis.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volmarias posted:

Nah, I do the same thing, but sometimes you need both going at once so I dont do it 100% of the time.

Mendasp
Oct 20, 2004

Mad paperclip

Garfu posted:

Welp, rline and I are on our way to Germany. I think there are a few other goons on the other team also heading there. Make sure to check out the finals on Friday at 2pm est!

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/nsl

:patriot:

You mean RUNE, right?

har har

But GL and all that ;)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Well that is certainly eye opening. Thanks for showing me the other perspective. I was just saying that shade first ain't so bad and it can be super fun. I didn't realize that by not addressing the not telling people part I was condoning it. And I'm pretty sure I wasn't promoting any kind of comm trolling.

It's cool, I think that's just where some misunderstanding occurred. No worries, I think you guys are cool, I just noticed that there might have been some communication trouble there.

I also totally agree with you on Rail Exos. As an added bonus, the railgun is metal as gently caress and makes a hella sweet noise, so there's that.

As an aside, you can totally pull off a no phase-gate midgame on some maps with the recent skulk change if you have an organized team, but in my opinion it's generally far less rewarding than simply taking phasegates and holding one or two extra res points a little longer to put yourself in a better long-term position than the no-phase-gates build. Aliens become more mobile over time, with gorge tunnels, celerity, adrenaline, lerks, and fades, so the marines need a way to counter that in the midgame.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Do you think they'll ever fix that poster saying "hazarderous" on ns2_docking?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Fallom posted:

That is how "hazardous" is spelled in the future.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fallom posted:

Do you think they'll ever fix that

Nope!

There are probably a lot of things higher on the totem pole at this point.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That is how "hazardous" is spelled in the future.

It's the horrifying combination of "hazardous" and "murderous". It's the highest level of warning that can be communicated.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Fallom posted:

Its actually an advertisement for the newest hit TV show "The Gorges of Hazarder."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AgentF posted:

It's the horrifying combination of "hazardous" and "murderous". It's the highest level of warning that can be communicated.
As far as I'm concerned this is now canon.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
Is anybody else having trouble connecting to the NS2 goons server? I get stuck at "authenticating connection" and then it kicks me back to the main menu saying I can't connect. This is the only server I'm having this issue with.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Ryen Deckard posted:

Is anybody else having trouble connecting to the NS2 goons server? I get stuck at "authenticating connection" and then it kicks me back to the main menu saying I can't connect. This is the only server I'm having this issue with.

E: VVVV Zidgemidge is a wizard

Lucky Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 12, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

That's weird. Server query showed it full of regular players but I couldn't connect either.

It's up now.

huze
Jan 15, 2008
NSL Grand Finals happening in 1 Hour 30 Minutes. Our very own ~*Garfu*~ will be competing!
http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Goodluck Garfu!

Pretty excited for this.

edit: Stream is Live

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Ok I got beer and a can of Ben & Jerry's let's do this.

• Locked thread