Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Up to the second season of Barney Miller, and it's gone from good, to absoltuely fantastic. It's just steeped in that mid-70s American atmosphere of malaise and decline, with tired, working-class characters finding solace in camaraderie, and small victories. It's shows as good as this that make me bristle when someone talks about how they can't stand single-cam shows; I really dig the theatrical, staged look of the production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I've been on Lie to Me for two seasons and enjoying it quite a bit. Tim Roth sells the character so well, I love his body language.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Khorne Flakes posted:

I've been on Lie to Me for two seasons and enjoying it quite a bit. Tim Roth sells the character so well, I love his body language.

Lie to Me is one of those shows that's easily consumed that I can just turn my brain off and enjoy the hell out of. Tim Roth doesn't hurt either, I love that guy.

Recently I've been going through Nikita which so far is like a step above Lie to Me in terms of depth and I'm liking it a lot. Especially after I reached the halfway point through season 1 today and thought it was the finale, only for netflix to tell me I have a whole 12 episodes left in the season.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Due to Archer rewatching Sealab between Star Trek and due to it ending a rewatch of Spartacus. Three really different shows.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Kyle Hyde posted:

Lie to Me is one of those shows that's easily consumed that I can just turn my brain off and enjoy the hell out of. Tim Roth doesn't hurt either, I love that guy.

Recently I've been going through Nikita which so far is like a step above Lie to Me in terms of depth and I'm liking it a lot. Especially after I reached the halfway point through season 1 today and thought it was the finale, only for netflix to tell me I have a whole 12 episodes left in the season.

Nikita seasons 1 and 2 are so loving awesome, you are in for such a treat. After season one you'll think it can't get any crazier, than season 2 comes in and is like "hey, here's like 20 quality season finale episodes for you".

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Okay, I'd like to get hooked on something new. I'm currently watching Game of Thrones, The Americans, Parks & Recreation, Archer, How I Met Your Mother (mostly out of habit and loyalty), Community (same), and Happy Endings (which I got into late, so I'm catching up with Season 2 at the same time). I'll pick up Venture Bros., Breaking Bad, and Louie whenever they come back, since I love them.

Over the years, I've also seen and loved The Wire, Deadwood, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Veronica Mars, The Shield, LOST, Arrested Development, Childrens Hospital (all except Season 3), Party Down, Homeland, and Justified (all except the current season that just ended, since I just marathoned through Seasons 1-3 for free on Amazon Prime). Rome and Carnivale were solid too, but "loved" would be a strong word for them.

I currently have HBO (including HBO Go) and Amazon Prime, but no Netflix as of now. I'll cancel HBO as soon as Game of Thrones Season 3 is over and resubscribe to Netflix Instant for the new Arrested Development.

So my next options could be Boardwalk Empire or Bored to Death on HBO Go, and Fringe (which I hear has a crappy first season) or Rubicon on Amazon Prime.

Can anyone think of anything else I should try? Hated Mad Men after the first two episodes, couldn't get into Girls, and gave up on The Office, 30 Rock, Scrubs, 24, and Walking Dead (after its short first season) and have no desire to revisit or complete them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 8, 2013

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I personally wasn't the biggest fan of Bored to Death. It was somewhere between OK and Good. If you want a more current HBO comedy to watch, pick up Eastbound and Down. Some other comedies you may like:

Party Down - Short, 20 episodes total- two seasons long, but wraps itself up quite nicely.
Always Sunny In Philadelphia - Gets good around season 2, but the show is a bit of a commitment at 8 seasons+ 2 more.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

CaptainHollywood posted:

Always Sunny In Philadelphia - Gets good around season 2, but the show is a bit of a commitment at 8 seasons+ 2 more.

Counterpoint: funniest show on television.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Can anyone think of anything else I should try? Hated Mad Men after the first two episodes, couldn't get into Girls, and gave up on The Office, 30 Rock, Scrubs, 24, and Walking Dead (after its short first season) and have no desire to revisit or complete them.

Well, if you have HBO on demand, I highly suggest Curb Your Enthusiasm since I didn't see you mention it. Even if you have seen it before, it is just as good the second time. I'm currently re-watching it, along with watching The Shield for the first time.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Definitely start Boardwalk Empire when you can, it's a great show.

Since you like HE, check out New Girl.

I'd also recommend:

The League
Southland
Workaholics
Arrow
Vampire Diaries (you'd be surprised)
Wilfred (UK or US, both are good)
Modern Family
Shameless (US, haven't watched UK version yet)

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Over the years, I've also seen and loved The Wire, Deadwood, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Veronica Mars, The Shield, LOST, Arrested Development, Childrens Hospital (all except Season 3), Party Down, Homeland, and Justified (all except the current season that just ended, since I just marathoned through Seasons 1-3 for free on Amazon Prime). Rome and Carnivale were solid too, but "loved" would be a strong word for them.

For any fans of Buffy and Angel, I would recommend checking out Supernatural as a spiritual successor, with a lot of the same writers.

As for Rubicon, I would recommend giving it at least 4 episodes. The first two are pretty meh, and AMC replaced the showrunner on the the third episode, and quickly improved it. Fair warning though, it got cancelled on a cliffhanger.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I've had about 20 episodes of Tenchi Muyo GXP just sitting on my DVR for the longest time, so I binged those.

I've also got 20 episodes of Eureka 7 that I've been sitting on as well. But I've got to put that on hold since one of the episodes didn't record due to my Cable Company not updating the Guide to reflect a schedule change that put Sym-Bionic Titan on where E7 was supposed to go.

Though I guess this works out since that's another series I've got sitting on my DVR and I had thought that episode hadn't record.

Hopefully once I finish my binging I'll give myself a schedule not to let the backlog grow, my DVR has problems once it starts getting into double digits of back recordings, by which I mean it just up and crashes sometimes and I have to wait a while for it to reconnect and allow me access to my Menu again.

At least I'm enjoying this, binging is more fun than waiting for the next episode every week.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

For any fans of Buffy and Angel, I would recommend checking out Supernatural as a spiritual successor, with a lot of the same writers.

As for Rubicon, I would recommend giving it at least 4 episodes. The first two are pretty meh, and AMC replaced the showrunner on the the third episode, and quickly improved it. Fair warning though, it got cancelled on a cliffhanger.

I don't consider it as much of a cliffhanger as just a real down note without any sort of catharsis. In that context, I actually thought it was a pretty cool ending all things considered.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Since you have listed Firefly but no other sci-fi shows, you should give Farscape a go.
It takes about half a season to find it's footing, but once it gets over that hump, it turns into one of the best sci-fi shows around (and I'm not alone in saying this).

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I finally started watching New Girl and I find it pretty drat funny.
No idea why I waited so long to start the movie but right around episode 4 the show takes off and I can not stop watching it now

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've just started watching Nikita and I'm in the mood for more badass female spies. Is Alias worth the time? Is there a point where I should ditch it? I never really watched it during its original run except for random episodes here and there.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

pahuyuth posted:

Is Alias worth the time?

gently caress no. It's awful from beginning to end, there's not a single redeeming thing about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

pahuyuth posted:

Is Alias worth the time? Is there a point where I should ditch it? I never really watched it during its original run except for random episodes here and there.

Yes teh first two seasosn are pretty great but then the third on are not that great.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

pahuyuth posted:

I've just started watching Nikita and I'm in the mood for more badass female spies. Is Alias worth the time? Is there a point where I should ditch it? I never really watched it during its original run except for random episodes here and there.

The first two seasons are amazing. Ignore any other opinions.

The third season is still solid, but not as good. Still worth watching.

Don't watch seasons 4 or 5. Not worth it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Watch The Americans for Keri Russell as a Soviet spy. I never thought I'd say that but she is excellent.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Four episodes into season two of Twin Peaks and I find myself bored silly by it. It's a lot easier to sustain a weird/hilarious soap opera parody over 13 episodes than 30.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Four episodes into season two of Twin Peaks and I find myself bored silly by it. It's a lot easier to sustain a weird/hilarious soap opera parody over 13 episodes than 30.

At least keep watching until the reveal of Laura Palmer's killer, which is pretty great. I can't remember what episode it is, but you're pretty close if I recall correctly.

Then you can watch Fire Walk With Me, which is awesome.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
^^^ Please post more so I can see your avatar everywhere :allears:

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Well, you're not alone, Twin Peak went from being one of the most popular (almost the most popular) show in 1990 to bottoming out in the ratings during the second season.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

qbert posted:

The first two seasons are amazing. Ignore any other opinions.

The third season is still solid, but not as good. Still worth watching.

Don't watch seasons 4 or 5. Not worth it.

leidend posted:

Watch The Americans for Keri Russell as a Soviet spy. I never thought I'd say that but she is excellent.

I agree with both these thoughts 110%

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

mcbexx posted:

Since you have listed Firefly but no other sci-fi shows, you should give Farscape a go.
It takes about half a season to find it's footing, but once it gets over that hump, it turns into one of the best sci-fi shows around (and I'm not alone in saying this).

Farscape and Doctor Who are my favorite two sci-fi shows ever. I think Farscape takes off in like the first 15 minutes of the first episode, once Cryton is in space, the show is just gold. Also Harvey, the best character ever in history, period.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah Farscape's brilliant.

Just binged through Banshee. It isn't high-brow or anything, but it's strangely very compelling, and a hell of a lot of fun. If you're into the bad guy as main character, hyper-violent genre it's definitely worth checking out. Also, wait till the very end of the credits at the end of each episode for an extra little scene. Sometimes they just build on a character, other times provide actual plot.

I've heard Strike Back is similar, from the thread, so I think I'll check that out next.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've been roaring through QI lately, and have also kept an eye on Have I Got News For You. I kind of want to binge through HIGNFY, except none of it's going to be relevant any more and all the topical stuff's going to go over my head.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

kloa posted:

Definitely start Boardwalk Empire when you can, it's a great show.

Since you like HE, check out New Girl.

I'd also recommend:

The League
Southland
Workaholics
Arrow
Vampire Diaries (you'd be surprised)
Wilfred (UK or US, both are good)
Modern Family
Shameless (US, haven't watched UK version yet)

They did a UK version of Wilfred too?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

No, Wilfred was originally an Australian show before it was remade in the states.

And yes, both are amazing in completely different ways.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
For anybody who is interested, Fringe is streaming on Netflix now. This makes me so happy. The Science channel canned it in the middle of the third season in favor of re-runs of How It's Made. Assholes. Once I'm done with The Shield, I'm going to pick it back up again.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I've been watching a lot of Spartacus lately. I initially thought it would be some mindless tv show, but it's actually pretty decent. Even though the actor was replaced in the second series (:() the new one isn't so bad, though just looks a bit too young.

I've been really pleasantly surprised by some of the actors - the British guy from the Mummy and Lucy Lawless are much better actors than I thought.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Greyish Orange posted:

I've been watching a lot of Spartacus lately. I initially thought it would be some mindless tv show, but it's actually pretty decent. Even though the actor was replaced in the second series (:() the new one isn't so bad, though just looks a bit too young.

I've been really pleasantly surprised by some of the actors - the British guy from the Mummy and Lucy Lawless are much better actors than I thought.

Spartacus is loving fantastic. The series finale is this week, and I'll be drat sad to see it go. :(

Please tell me you didn't forget to watch the prequel after watching the first season?

Edit: and yeah, we all still miss Andy Whitfield. I normally really don't get invested in the actors from my favourite shows, but his story is so drat heartbreaking. I actually choked up when I read about it. Liam McIntyre does grow into the part though.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 10, 2013

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I've been watching a lot of How I Met Your Mother lately. It's not the best show, but it's easy to watch and pretty funny. Not a bad way to kill a few hours at work.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Coffee And Pie posted:

I've been watching a lot of How I Met Your Mother lately. It's not the best show, but it's easy to watch and pretty funny. Not a bad way to kill a few hours at work.

What are these jobs where one can just watch tv shows for a few hours? I need to get me one of those.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Coffee And Pie posted:

It definitely has it's highs and lows. The most recent season starts off awful, but it's really hit a stride the less 7 or so episodes. The last episode was one of the most depressing in the entire series though.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

richardfun posted:

What are these jobs where one can just watch tv shows for a few hours? I need to get me one of those.

I work at my school's library, but it's a very small branch of an unpopular commuter school, so there's not much to do. It's minimum wage, but I get paid to watch Netflix and do my homework, so I'm okay with it.

CaptainHollywood posted:

It definitely has it's highs and lows. The most recent season starts off awful, but it's really hit a stride the less 7 or so episodes. The last episode was one of the most depressing in the entire series though.

Yeah, it's surprised me how depressing it can be at times.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Burnt through Jericho which was actually pleasantly surprising of a series, it really is a shame it only had about one and a half seasons. I liked the stories and the circumstances behind the plot points. I can see why it wasn't renewed but there are a lot worst shows still being aired, so its a shame to see that this one with so much potential got axed.

I also finished up House of Cards. I won't post any spoilers but I can honestly say it was one of the better political dramas I've seen though parts were fairly unrealistic which hurt the "willing suspension of disbelief" you are expected to put yourself into when watching a show or movie.

I'm looking forward to Season 2 but I'm not sure it going to Netflix and all being released at once was a good idea, but then again I work for a cable channel so I clearly have a different perspective than most other people regarding that.

I'm looking for more political dramas, I've already done West Wing and outside House of Cards I can't really think of many that really grab my attention. Would watching the BBC version of House of Cards be a good launching point?

richardfun posted:

I worked customer service at college for the school and because we did everything over the internet/email we just played shows and movies during our hours. Worked out pretty nice since you could watch Battle Star Galactica while answering a ticket about why someone can't use their Xbox with the schools internet security settings.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uba Stij posted:

I'm looking for more political dramas, I've already done West Wing and outside House of Cards I can't really think of many that really grab my attention. Would watching the BBC version of House of Cards be a good launching point?

It partly depends on how much you know about the British political system and the climate just after Thatcher left office. It's a very good miniseries (or the first is, haven't watched the others) and the late Ian Richardson is great as Urquhart but the pacing is a bit languid. On the other hand, it does share some of the same DNA as the American version, with both protagonists fond of talking to the camera, soliloquying their thoughts and schemes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaz-L posted:

It partly depends on how much you know about the British political system and the climate just after Thatcher left office. It's a very good miniseries (or the first is, haven't watched the others) and the late Ian Richardson is great as Urquhart but the pacing is a bit languid. On the other hand, it does share some of the same DNA as the American version, with both protagonists fond of talking to the camera, soliloquying their thoughts and schemes.

I'm fairly familiar with the British political system though there are certain aspects that stump me from time to time.

I'm also pretty familiar with Thatcher and her role in the British government and have read essays/books on her and others around that time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Uba Stij posted:

I'm looking for more political dramas, I've already done West Wing and outside House of Cards I can't really think of many that really grab my attention.
Boss is the best show in the genre.