Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

At this rate I would hardly be surprised if someone actually complains that water is horrible.

I know I've already read at least one goon quote about how they couldn't drink water because of the taste so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Kitten Head Ridge posted:

This thread has certainly convinced me to give fresh durian a chance. I've had durian candy (some cheap Chinese brand), and it was one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted. I couldn't get that damned taste out of my mouth for hours.

The durian candy I bought to give to unsuspecting people tastes like onion taffy with a slight hint of garbage. A student of mine brave enough to try it said it was nowhere near as disgusting as he was expecting based on how people describe it, so I'm not a total freak. I actually kind of like it in a strange way.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012

At this rate I would hardly be surprised if someone actually complains that water is horrible.

Well, we are talking about pretty much the most flavorless and uninteresting thing on earth. Although I do like the sparkling kind.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Alouicious posted:

I know I've already read at least one goon quote about how they couldn't drink water because of the taste so

It doesn't taste like Mountain Dew: Code Red, I don't understand!:btroll:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Low-sodium low-carbon mineral water is disgusting (not to mention uncarbonated mineral water).

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Low-sodium low-carbon mineral water is disgusting (not to mention uncarbonated mineral water).

I prefer distilled water.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Radio Help posted:

edit: in looking for the worst tomato image I could find, I found this lil gem:

which led me here.

Pretty much everything about that article makes me want to puke on something so hard I break it.

editedit: "We're McLoving It." How is it even possible to misquote the catchphrase McDonalds had for like ten years?

You forgot the cheese:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

My dad hates water. When I was growing up, the only things I really saw him drink were Pepsi, lemonade, coffee, and beer. He still wouldn't drink water even after he got kidney stones and the doctor told him to. :sigh:

I happen to think water is delicious, and used to drink it just out of spite. :colbert:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

twoday posted:

You forgot the cheese:

Wait, this looks like someone stuck it in an oven. Doesn't that mean that the toppings will have been cooked twice? Wouldn't that make it taste even worse?

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Alouicious posted:

Well it's all wet and poo poo...

davestones
May 7, 2009
Water tastes crap when it's room temperature/warm but when it is ice-cold then it gets almost a sweet flavour to it. Of course, we have proper tap water here that is drinkable and doesn't taste like chlorine/raw sewage/chalk so that might help. We also have squash for when water tastes crap:

It saddens me that you can't get squash to dilute in America, you only get that powdered stuff :smith:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Wait, this looks like someone stuck it in an oven. Doesn't that mean that the toppings will have been cooked twice? Wouldn't that make it taste even worse?
I don't think taste was a consideration in the first place.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

TurboTax posted:

Well, we are talking about pretty much the most flavorless and uninteresting thing on earth. Although I do like the sparkling kind.

Water can have hundreds or different tastes that range from fantastic to disgusting :colbert: Except carbonated water, this poo poo just tastes all the same.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Call Now posted:

Water can have hundreds or different tastes that range from fantastic to disgusting :colbert: Except carbonated water, this poo poo just tastes all the same.

Yes just like all carbonated soft drinks taste all the same.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Wanamingo posted:

The typical meat toppings for pizza are already cooked when you put them on there too. That's disgusting for many reasons but the meat having been cooked isn't one of them.

Probably didn't do the bun any favors though.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

TurboTax posted:

This is like saying air is too bland to breath if isn't filled with smoke or fumes. Could we get back to discussing actually weird food and not poo poo like tomatoes or loving water?

Scorpion pasties anyone?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Kalos posted:

The typical meat toppings for pizza are already cooked when you put them on there too. That's disgusting for many reasons but the meat having been cooked isn't one of them.

Probably didn't do the bun any favors though.

I made something like that with friends and it was delicious. Burgers, chicken nuggets, fries, all definitely taste good in there. Not something I think I'd do again but taste seriously wasn't a problem.

I know, trap sprung, :goonsay: etc, I'll let the thread get back to talking about how gross things like Apple Pie, Poutine, and Tomatoes are.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yes just like all carbonated soft drinks taste all the same.

Yes just like all carbonated drinks are made with the same taste additives.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

All the water I've drunk abroad has been horrible, it tastes like chlorine. That said there's nothing better than take a drink from a waterfall.

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?

Rare Collectable posted:

This is like saying air is too bland to breath if isn't filled with smoke or fumes. Could we get back to discussing actually weird food and not poo poo like tomatoes or loving water?

Scorpion pasties anyone?

Those look like scorpion-stuffed mushrooms. I wonder if that's like, maggot and cream cheese puree.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Zombie Pirate posted:

Those look like scorpion-stuffed mushrooms. I wonder if that's like, maggot and cream cheese puree.

Well if it's not chevre and maggot puree I'm not eating it :colbert:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

davestones posted:

Water tastes crap when it's room temperature/warm but when it is ice-cold then it gets almost a sweet flavour to it. Of course, we have proper tap water here that is drinkable and doesn't taste like chlorine/raw sewage/chalk so that might help. We also have squash for when water tastes crap:

It saddens me that you can't get squash to dilute in America, you only get that powdered stuff :smith:

Powder? Well you can gently caress me ever moving to the States

All this talk of Durian - I had some fresh a few years back in Singapore (I think). It tasted like off cheese

Anyways, a guy I know in work took some time off for his birthday, and he made and ate the meal in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9FRSghXhDM

He survived

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Alhazred posted:

All the water I've drunk abroad has been horrible, it tastes like chlorine. That said there's nothing better than take a drink from a waterfall.

Be very careful of drinking from streams and waterfalls. Unless you are drinking from a confirmed uncontaminated source, chances are someone or something took a poo poo upstream and you are drinking the VERY diluted bacterial parfait.

Stupid river water ruined a day of vacation when I was 14. I remember drinking a single glass of river water, that had no taste, no smell and was refreshingly cool. That night, I learned that my vomiting spasms transform me into a hydralisk. You haven't vomited until you have projected a stream of puke from the door in the bathroom.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I've drunk pure mountain spring water directly from the source and it's pretty much everything all those bottled waters try to convince you they are.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010
I've had mineral spring water at the historic spa in WV that has "George Washington's Bathtub" and it tasted like rear end. Like George Washington's assy, farty, lukewarm bathwater transported through time and coming out of a tap. The taste is apparently due to sulfur content.

The locals seemed to like it, though.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

PlantRobot posted:

I've had mineral spring water at the historic spa in WV that has "George Washington's Bathtub" and it tasted like rear end. Like George Washington's assy, farty, lukewarm bathwater transported through time and coming out of a tap. The taste is apparently due to sulfur content.

The locals seemed to like it, though.
You mean at Berkeley Springs? Drinking that water sure isn't the first thing that pops in my head when I go there.

...Though it doesn't surprise me that the locals seem to like it. Most of the people in this region have lovely tastes in food and drinks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't like water from the kitchen tap 'raw' but after it's been through the filter it's fine, provided the filter has been cleaned (I always have to clean it).
However I actually prefer to drink it straight out the tap from the upstairs sink (Flowing water, Just like my cat does :3:), I can't stand when its been sitting in a glass for a while a goes stagnant.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

OnlyJuanMon posted:

^ Wutup new best friends.

Kraft mac n Cheese, ketchup, and cut up hot dogs is my jam.

I know this was from over 20 pages ago, but this has to be the worst thing in this thread, EVERYONE knows that you make Kraft Mac n Cheese and cut up hot dogs with MUSTARD, not ketchup!

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't like water from the kitchen tap 'raw' but after it's been through the filter it's fine, provided the filter has been cleaned (I always have to clean it).
However I actually prefer to drink it straight out the tap from the upstairs sink (Flowing water, Just like my cat does :3:), I can't stand when its been sitting in a glass for a while a goes stagnant.

I hate the taste of water unless it's ice cold. If it doesn't give me a headache as I drink it from being so cold, I just can't stand the taste for some reason.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

deathbagel posted:

I know this was from over 20 pages ago, but this has to be the worst thing in this thread, EVERYONE knows that you make Kraft Mac n Cheese and cut up hot dogs with MUSTARD, not ketchup!

No, you make mac n' cheese and throw a packet of tuna (or can :colbert:) in that bitch and serve it like that!

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?

kloa posted:

No, you make mac n' cheese and throw a packet of tuna (or can :colbert:) in that bitch and serve it like that!

Don't forget about the frozen peas, you godless heathen.

Have we seen these yet? Escamoles.

They're the larvae of giant ants.

Zombie Pirate has a new favorite as of 09:27 on Apr 13, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Zombie Pirate posted:

Don't forget about the frozen peas, you godless heathen.

I thought I was the only one that did this.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Tuna? Peas? How can you put that crazy poo poo into Mac & Cheese and completely forget to mention sautéed onions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyGXPt0Hzg

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

davestones posted:

That's a canny restauranteur, marketing scrapings and leftovers as a full meal. This, on the other hand, is from a café that serves proper food:

Now is this just coincidence or what? I thought I recognized that heaping dish:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3519503&perpage=40&pagenumber=47#post414387952

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TerryLennox posted:

Be very careful of drinking from streams and waterfalls. Unless you are drinking from a confirmed uncontaminated source, chances are someone or something took a poo poo upstream and you are drinking the VERY diluted bacterial parfait.

Stupid river water ruined a day of vacation when I was 14. I remember drinking a single glass of river water, that had no taste, no smell and was refreshingly cool. That night, I learned that my vomiting spasms transform me into a hydralisk. You haven't vomited until you have projected a stream of puke from the door in the bathroom.

Do you live in a third world country or something? When I'm at the family cabin pretty much our only source of fresh water is rivers and waterfalls and I have never gotten sick.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

^^^ You're either lucky or your gut is adjusted. "Beaver Fever" is the Canadian version of Montezumo's Revenge and I know people who have gotten horrible, painful, debilitating diarrhea while hiking and backpacking in the mountains here because they drank from streams below treeline, where water is contaminated with animal fecal matter. I'm more than happy to drink water fresh out a glacier as long as it's in the high alpine though. Nothing lives up there to poo poo in the water,and it's super clean, and also full of minerals from the ice-scoured rock (glacial flour).

deathbagel posted:

No way. Never heard of this. Where are you from?

I don't understand how people can eat invertebrates. I know it's just something in my brain that makes me a weirdo, but any time I try to eat shrimp, lobster, escargot, octopus, squid, what have you, I instantly gag. There's just something about them that says to me INEDIBLE. I guess it's similar to the anti-tomato guy a couple pages back. I sometimes eat a single shrimp to be polite when it's offered to me, but I have to close my eyes and try to pretend I'm eating a cooked vegetable or something when I bite into the texture in order to not spit it out or visibly gag. I then completely lose my appetite. I ought to lie and claim I have a shellfish allergy to avoid the misery altogether, but I hate lying even more :smith:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You know how before people understood the germ theory of disease and boiled their drinking water basically half the people at any one point in time died of dysentery and cholera? Jesus Christ you loving guys.

I don't have a picture but you already know what raw pork looks like, it's a thing in certain parts of Yunnan province in China to have basically pork sashimi, with the meat and the fat consumed separately. I was assured that the pigs were specially selected and grass fed (or whatever the pig equivalent is) and I didn't die of Trichinosis, but it wasn't particularly appetizing.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't have a picture but you already know what raw pork looks like, it's a thing in certain parts of Yunnan province in China to have basically pork sashimi, with the meat and the fat consumed separately. I was assured that the pigs were specially selected and grass fed (or whatever the pig equivalent is) and I didn't die of Trichinosis, but it wasn't particularly appetizing.

There was this travel/food show with Mario Batali and Gwyneth Paltrow and in one episode, they're in the italian village and the local chef is making some kind of chicken/fowl dish that is basically very rare chicken breast. She didn't want to eat it and Mario was like "this is how you're supposed to eat it, the meat is grown and raised here and is absolutely safe" and basically guilted her into trying it and you can tell it was disgusting by the look on her face. Cut to the next day and both of them are sicker than poo poo. It was amazing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

You know how before people understood the germ theory of disease and boiled their drinking water basically half the people at any one point in time died of dysentery and cholera? Jesus Christ you loving guys.

Its not like every river is a disease ridden sludge. As long as it's not filled with poo poo, dead animals, is discolored or smells bad it should be reasonably safe to drink it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I didn't know I issued a challenge for goons to be as goony as to bitch about water but well there we go.

Alhazred posted:

Its not like every river is a disease ridden sludge. As long as it's not filled with poo poo, dead animals, is discolored or smells bad it should be reasonably safe to drink it.

Personally I like to think that, somewhere out there, there is a person who believes that rivers and natural sources of water are all made out of rainbow jellies and alcohol sanitizers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AircraftNoise
May 9, 2008

Alhazred posted:

You should never drink from a water source such as this unless you are prepared to be sick at some point. Once you get sick once, you will realize why sane people boil their water and why mass numbers of people died from this before humankind found out about microbes.

• Locked thread