Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/discordgames/chasm

Procedurally generated action RPG platformer thingy? Yes please! :dance:

Other than this and Risk of Rain, are there any other games like this I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

I just used GOG as a quick and dirty example - since we all know what it is and how it operates. Off memory, I don't believe they ever made any actual promises as to the manner of saleable delivery, you're right. I just use that term like I use Xerox or Google, at this point.

Forgive my unintended misdirection. But I think the criticism is valid for those people who were led to believe there would be a totally standalone product for sale.

While I doubt the terms of the licensing agreement would have meant they would not have been funded or anything dramatic like that, it would have impacted the choice of a certain amount of backers, and we're wrong to just casually dismiss that fact (even if we all think those people're weird :lol:).

It's pretty disengenuous of Hairebrained Schemes, and explains why I have met with so much resistance on getting a refund of my pledge from before the "DRM Free isn't really DRM Free" announcement. They knew what they were saying was inaccurate but didn't change anything about it, which is incredibly dishonest\, and then tried to weasel out of it with a rambling update.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
I also think the Road Redemption KS looks like poo poo. I loved Road Rash on my Genesis but everything about their presentation is putting me off the Kickstarter.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Oh man, Big Blue hasn't even reached $50k out of $660k. I rather wanted this one to happen, but unless there's a miracle it won't even hit half-way.

Yeah, that's disappointing. I really want to play this, but it was never going to raise that amount of cash.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

XenoCrab posted:

I also think the Road Redemption KS looks like poo poo. I loved Road Rash on my Genesis but everything about their presentation is putting me off the Kickstarter.

Yeah. Visually, it's just kind of ugly. But beyond that, there's nothing inherent about it that's particularly appealing to me. I used to play Road Rash for the Genesis. It was a good game. That's about the most anyone can say for it, because it really wasn't anything all that special. Later entries in the series got kind of bad and then the series died a rightful death. I don't see the point in trying to bring it back, and I really doubt there's much nostalgia for it at all. Seems to be the case as they're just getting a slow trickle of funds right now.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

fookolt posted:

Other than this and Risk of Rain, are there any other games like this I should check out?

Is there any good procedural platformers other than Spelunky? I like the concept but it seems to be very difficult to make computer generated content interesting.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah. Visually, it's just kind of ugly. But beyond that, there's nothing inherent about it that's particularly appealing to me. I used to play Road Rash for the Genesis. It was a good game. That's about the most anyone can say for it, because it really wasn't anything all that special. Later entries in the series got kind of bad and then the series died a rightful death. I don't see the point in trying to bring it back, and I really doubt there's much nostalgia for it at all. Seems to be the case as they're just getting a slow trickle of funds right now.
I don't know what everyone's getting all hung up about, I'm pretty much sold. On its core Road Rash was just a bike racing game, but it was its silly over-the-top violence setting and gameplay that really made it unique and hilarious, and they seem to be building up on that.

No other racer led to such absurd situations as an oncoming car suddenly knocking down half the racers, an AI opponent suddenly kicking you off a cliff, or managing to steal a cop's bat and beating him with it. Although my nostalgia comes from the PC version which I hear wasn't as popular because it felt really dated, but I liked its arcadey graphics and silly caricature style.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 13, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

SupSuper posted:

I don't know what everyone's getting all hung up about, I'm pretty much sold. On its core Road Rash was just a bike racing game, but it was its silly over-the-top violence setting and gameplay that really made it unique and hilarious, and they seem to be building up on that.

No other racer led to such absurd situations as an oncoming car suddenly knocking down half the racers, an AI opponent suddenly kicking you off a cliff, or managing to steal a cop's bat and beating him with it. Although my nostalgia comes from the PC version which I hear wasn't as popular because it felt really dated, but I liked its arcadey graphics and silly caricature style.
My only real concern is that half the fun was its simplicity - and trying to aim a gun while also avoiding oncoming traffic doesn't sound all that fun. Well, actually, it sounds potentially fun, but like something REALLY easy to gently caress up.

EDIT: So, this is kinda weird a/o a sign of the times. Starbound just went up for pre-order, and it's not a Kickstarter, but - it has all the trappings of one. You can pay more to have NPCs named after you, your name in the credits, it includes the soundtrack, etc, etc. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they unveil some weird "pre-order stretch goal" thing, too. (they even call the people buying "Backers", and list the current amount raised... which is almost $300k, g'drat :stare:)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 13, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Kennel posted:

Is there any good procedural platformers other than Spelunky? I like the concept but it seems to be very difficult to make computer generated content interesting.

I think the games I'm thinking of are more action than platformer but yeah, I don't really know that many good procedural platformers.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

fookolt posted:

The interface for this just seems slightly clumsy for some reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SupSuper posted:

I'm not particularly hung up on anything in particular. It just doesn't look even remotely exciting. And this was as a fan of the original games. It just looks bland and uninspired.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I tend to get tired of games with procedurally generated content fairly quickly. Not many exceptions that I can think of.

As for the Road Rash remake, it doesn't feel quite right for it to feature guns when the funniest thing about the original game was the casual, amateurish violence. Like driving up to someone and just kicking them into oncoming traffic.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

fookolt posted:

Note: I think this game looks good and I hope they are successful (and I think they will be). One thing that bugs me:

Procedurally generated. Metroid. These two things just don't mix.

This developers are clearly very talented and it could be a great game, I just wish they wouldn't describe it as 'metroid-like'. Here is a great article showing why metroid is light years away from ever being procedurally generated--the amount of thought and careful crafting that goes into even the most mundane aspects of Metroid requires either a human or an AI system that doesn't exist yet.

Orzo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 13, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Orzo posted:

Procedurally generated. Metroid. These two things just don't mix.

This developers are clearly very talented and it could be a great game, I just wish they wouldn't describe it as 'metroid-like'. Here is a great article showing why metroid is light years away from ever being procedurally generated--the amount of thought and careful crafting that goes into even the most mundane aspects of Metroid requires either a human or an AI system that doesn't exist yet.

I think you're being overly picky. The first thing I thought of when I saw that game was Castlevania. They're not saying 'This is not-Metroid Metroid', they're saying 'This is Metroid-like'. And look at it, it absolutely is. Of course it has some differences, and I would probably have gone with 'Castlevania-like', but yeah, either seems like a totally fair description.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: So, this is kinda weird a/o a sign of the times. Starbound just went up for pre-order, and it's not a Kickstarter, but - it has all the trappings of one. You can pay more to have NPCs named after you, your name in the credits, it includes the soundtrack, etc, etc. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they unveil some weird "pre-order stretch goal" thing, too. (they even call the people buying "Backers", and list the current amount raised... which is almost $300k, g'drat :stare:)

Their stretch goal is the greatest stretch goal. No other stretch goal ever promised me space gas cowboys with ADD.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Kennel posted:

They are different but still manage to hit similar tones for me: Super House of Dead Ninjas and Tower Climb. Super Crate Box is very simplistic but fun in short bursts.

I feel like there is at least one more I'm missing but can't remember right this moment.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

I think you're being overly picky. The first thing I thought of when I saw that game was Castlevania. They're not saying 'This is not-Metroid Metroid', they're saying 'This is Metroid-like'. And look at it, it absolutely is. Of course it has some differences, and I would probably have gone with 'Castlevania-like', but yeah, either seems like a totally fair description.
What do you mean 'look at it, it absolutely is?' That's not much of an argument and I totally disagree that it looks anything like Metroid. And it's not like I'm picking out some lone sentence halfway through their pitch; it is literally the only game they compare it to in their main statement at the top of the page!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Orzo posted:

What do you mean 'look at it, it absolutely is?' That's not much of an argument and I totally disagree that it looks anything like Metroid. And it's not like I'm picking out some lone sentence halfway through their pitch; it is literally the only game they compare it to in their main statement at the top of the page!

Haha. Fair point, I guess I was just expecting people to see what I see when looking at it, what I was specifically talking about was this.

Personally, I can't think of anything but Metroid when I see it. But the fact that the main character uses a sword, damage numbers pop up, and it's on a 2D plane (edit: obviously they're both on a 2D plane) is much more Castlevania feeling.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 13, 2013

Wendell
May 11, 2003

C'mon, having a map does not make something like Metroid. Orzo was absolutely right to say that the carefully planned progression of a Metroid title can't be replicated in a randomly generated world since they're striving for different goals entirely!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I don't know. It definitely still feels Metroid(or Castlevania)-like to me. It seems to have all the hallmarks of those games apart from the planned progression. And I'd say that definitely makes it a Metroidvania, and by proxy, Metroid-like. But ultimately, we're really just arguing about semantics. It is what it is.

And sorry if I came across a bit confrontational, Orzo, I wasn't meaning to be!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

No, I didn't take you as being confrontational. I just disagreed that it was like Metroid, nothing more. Of course, I haven't played the game, so who knows! I also agree with your comparison to Castlevania. It seems that that would be the obvious thing to compare it to for the pitch, since, as you pointed out, the fighting mechanics look very similar.

I also want to be clear that I think the game looks excellent, I am not criticizing the game at all, just their choice in description, which may unfortunately just be words to make it more appealing to backers, which I think is a shame. But maybe there are aspects of the game not shown that really capture other Metriod-y things. I should send a note to the developer(s) and see if they can clarify why they didn't choose Castlevania as a comparison. It's not like Castlevania is some sort of unpopular obscure title, nostalgic gamers love Castlevania games (I know I do).

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Orzo posted:

No, I didn't take you as being confrontational. I just disagreed that it was like Metroid, nothing more. Of course, I haven't played the game, so who knows! I also agree with your comparison to Castlevania. It seems that that would be the obvious thing to compare it to for the pitch, since, as you pointed out, the fighting mechanics look very similar.

I also want to be clear that I think the game looks excellent, I am not criticizing the game at all, just their choice in description, which may unfortunately just be words to make it more appealing to backers, which I think is a shame. But maybe there are aspects of the game not shown that really capture other Metriod-y things. I should send a note to the developer(s) and see if they can clarify why they didn't choose Castlevania as a comparison. It's not like Castlevania is some sort of unpopular obscure title, nostalgic gamers love Castlevania games (I know I do).

Maybe Metroid has more of a pull with gamers? I know it does for me even though I also love Castlevania games.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

fookolt posted:

Maybe Metroid has more of a pull with gamers? I know it does for me even though I also love Castlevania games.
Castlevania hasn't really been relevant in a while, excepting as a Metroidvania. The classic Castlevania style of play doesn't really resonate with players these days - if you say "Castlevania," people assume you mean post-SOTN. So, if you're looking for a short-hand, Metroid or Metroidvania is probably your better choice.

... that said, I'm getting a little tired of procedural everything at this point, especially Metroidvanias :( When a game sells itself as explorable, following that up with "procedural" is the quickest way to lose my interest. Exploring procedural worlds almost never feels like exploration so much as maze solving.

EDIT: VV :c00lbert: EDIT2: Hey Starbound guys, if you end up reading this - I would love you forever if the background on your pre-order page parallaxed as you scrolled down. Great pixel art, back there.

EDIT3: And even weirder, now Spellerium, the next game from the Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure guy, is doing a similar not-a-kickstarter pre-order scheme. Did a memo go out, or something?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 14, 2013

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Shalinor posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they unveil some weird "pre-order stretch goal" thing, too.

Look at nostradamus over here! They just announced an entirely new race as a stretch goal.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight

Shovel Knight made its final 300K stretch goal with 3 hours to go. Can't wait for this game!

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I think procedural maps in a Metroidvania-like game can work quite well together, procedural generation doesn't mean everything has to be complete randomness, it could also mean that some elements can occur in different order without ruining the game.

An example slice of an SotN map:

Couldn't the green areas occur in any order and the game would feel the same?

Couldn't the red area be modified slightly and moved without messing with the flow or design of the game? You could also move it directly up. Areas within that red rectangle could be moved around and nobody would know the difference.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns
There's a lot of wiggle room for what "procedural" means in a game. Changing certain layouts around, or small things in specific rooms, still qualifies. I'm guessing that Chasm is just going to have a pool of rooms that they swap around at random, and link to each other in a random layout each floor.

Wow Starbound's backer ploy is INCREDIBLE. Bypass Kickstarter by becoming your own personal Kickstarter. Man, what a great idea. I'm going to have to steal that one later.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kepa posted:

There's a lot of wiggle room for what "procedural" means in a game. Changing certain layouts around, or small things in specific rooms, still qualifies. I'm guessing that Chasm is just going to have a pool of rooms that they swap around at random, and link to each other in a random layout each floor.

Wow Starbound's backer ploy is INCREDIBLE. Bypass Kickstarter by becoming your own personal Kickstarter. Man, what a great idea. I'm going to have to steal that one later.
If you're going to steal it, at least give some credit to games that have been doing it for longer than Starbound, like Prison Architect, Call to Arms and Door Kickers (there are probably other examples too).

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If you're going to steal it, at least give some credit to games that have been doing it for longer than Starbound, like Prison Architect, Call to Arms and Door Kickers (there are probably other examples too).

Is it ok if I steal the idea and give credit to none of those games, because that's my plan right now.

I saw Prison Architect before, but didn't know they did the tiered pre-order rewards.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

SupSuper posted:

I'm nostalgic about the PC version of Road Rash too, but I didn't get the same vibe from their teaser video. What I remember being so fun about Road Rash was the cartoonishness of it all - your biker could get kicked into an oncoming truck, fly a mile high in the air, crash down, dust themselves off, run back to their bike and get back in the race. But the teaser video of Road Redemption, bikes that hit trucks explode and katanas slice necks. It's a whole different tone from the Road Rash I remember.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shalinor posted:

However, unlike actual kickstarters, you don't have the ability to go and change your "pledge" (pre-order in this case) level if they reveal a stretch goal or something.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

SatelliteCore posted:

I would normally be super excited about this but gently caress the direction they are taking the game in. I really hope this doesn't turn other studios away from trying to re-capture what was so great about the series. I don't care that the original creator is on the team; it looks like they lost sight. Guns? That level of violence really doesn't belong in this series. What also bothers me is that in the video they are pandering to 'hardcore gamers' and trying to turn it into something the series never was. The statements "With the resources we currently have from our private investors we can't really make the Road Redemption game we really want" and "Publishers will never let us make a game like this." are insulting to my intelligence. I feel like they are just reading this crap off of the 'gently caress the industry, help us' indie script. :jerkbag:

They're bringing back Skill Based gameplay! How could you not be frothing?

It's almost like a parody these days, just write some rant talking about the evil publishers watering down games for the casual audience. Somehow, this just happens to be the exact game you want to play, something something classic-style gameplay updated for a new generation but with no compromises! Fight those clueless suits!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Kennel posted:

Yes! They're not all RPG heavy, but Spelunky-like is a growing subgenre. There's a bunch on Greenlight, since that's where new-edge experimental games go: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94166786

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I just watched the Road Redemption trailer and I think it looks pretty fun actually. There's nothing like Road Rash nowadays and best of luck waiting around for EA to revive it. And even if they did, it would be killed instantly with micro-transactions and they will be left scratching their heads as to why it failed when people don't buy it because of that.

And since this a spiritual successor, they can take a few liberties like adding guns to it. The core gameplay still seems to be there, but it could be early game footage for all we know. If they make the goal, I will definitely check it out.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The last good Road Rash like game was Downhill Domination and that was a longass time ago.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Divinity: Original Sin has a new update out (including gameplay footage with minor spoilers). It's interesting how there is now a sort of Kickstarter formula for cRPGs:

quote:

The lair of this nightmarish beast is a labyrinth riddled with death, puzzles and mystery. It's up to you however, to decide just how extensive this lair will be. For every thousand extra backers that pledge from here on out, a new level full of pitfalls, threats and riddles will be added!

Also, for all you Kirill lovers, they will be streaming a live concert of his on Thursday.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

C-Wars looks pretty promising. Don't be put off by zombies, post-apocalypse, anime and hipster pixel glasses because the game looks polished as hell with an interesting combat system. I'm not sure where they get the roguelike part from but it has a branching story with different events based on your dialogue and captain choices. The art looks fantastic as well as the kickstarter pitch. The video and text gives a great breakdown of the game including how far along they are in certain aspects and a graph that shows where all the money is going. $10 is also pretty cheap for an entry tier so I jumped on it. My only concern is that developing for so many systems means that one or more will suffer from console port syndrome.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
A person I run in the same circles as put up a pretty interesting Kickstarter for a documentary called GTFO. It basically deals with the harassment that female gamers often face from online gaming communities. It's a topic that I would be inherently interested in, but I'm intrigued by how she is really approaching this from an outsider's perspective. I think right now, the pitch feels a bit unfocused, but I'm optimistic that it just means she'll be developing her thesis as she does her research.

If it adds any credibility to the project, she actually works in TV Production, currently on Anthony Bordain's new show.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
While not a game, From Bedrooms to Billions is still relevant to this thread, I believe, as it documents the UK game industry from the early home computers up until today.

As someone who wrote his first piece of code on a ZX81, subscribed to Crash and Zzap!64 for the latest news on the ZX Spectrum and C64 games front and hardware modded his Amiga 500 so a switch decided which Kickstart ROM to use, I feel right at home watching the Kickstarter movie and the clips in the updates.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

A person I run in the same circles as put up a pretty interesting Kickstarter for a documentary called GTFO. It basically deals with the harassment that female gamers often face from online gaming communities. It's a topic that I would be inherently interested in, but I'm intrigued by how she is really approaching this from an outsider's perspective. I think right now, the pitch feels a bit unfocused, but I'm optimistic that it just means she'll be developing her thesis as she does her research.

If it adds any credibility to the project, she actually works in TV Production, currently on Anthony Bordain's new show.

If Anita Sarkeesian's kickstarter is anything to go by, you should advertise this on the MRA reddit.