Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spring Mint posted:

What's the thread's opinion on Mama? I thought it looked really interesting and the ghost mom in the short was wrong in all the right ways, but I hear the movie itself fails to live up to its potential.

It didn't look that interesting at all to me in the trailers, but then positive word of mouth started building so I went to see it. I rarely found it scary and the ending was loving terrible and kind of invalidated a lot of the movie.

It was a cool concept, I guess, but it definitely fell short of what it could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spring Mint posted:

What's the thread's opinion on Mama? I thought it looked really interesting and the ghost mom in the short was wrong in all the right ways, but I hear the movie itself fails to live up to its potential.

It owns, so far the best horror movie of this year. I mean, I guess I'd call it "dark fantasy" or something, but it's great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It owns, so far the best horror movie of this year.

No sir, that is Evil Dead :colbert:

(Well, if Evil Dead can be considered "horror". It's more like a horror-comedy.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Evil Dead blew in comparison. Mama commits to it's premise, Evil Dead shortchanges itself to serve up generic nastiness.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
How was Evil Dead a horror-comedy? That movie took it self so seriously and I don't think I really saw anything that was supposed to be taken as funny, which is good because I certainly didn't laugh.

Also the best horror film of the year is S-VHS (followed by Stoker, if that counts).

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It didn't look that interesting at all to me in the trailers, but then positive word of mouth started building so I went to see it. I rarely found it scary and the ending was loving terrible and kind of invalidated a lot of the movie.

The ending is great and it is a call back to a previous moment in the film. When Annabel finally manages to make a connection with Victoria they hug beneath a picture of a tree. In the film's last shot Lucas, Annabel and Victoria tearfully embrace each other before a tree resting on the hilltop. You can say that Mama brought them together by taking Lily away from them. So bascially, they are connected in their grief. Like how a tree cannot exist without it's roots, their familial unity don't exist without the loss of Lily. I love this because not only is it executed in a very subtle way, it's where the Guilermo del Toro influence become the most apparant. It strikes that same bittersweet chord as the ending of Pan's Labyrinth.

So yeah, I have to agree with HUNDU. I think it's stupid to criticze a horror film solely on how scary it is when it does so much else right. A dark fairytale is a pretty apt description.

Apes-Ma fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 13, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axleblaze posted:

How was Evil Dead a horror-comedy? That movie took it self so seriously and I don't think I really saw anything that was supposed to be taken as funny, which is good because I certainly didn't laugh.

Also the best horror film of the year is S-VHS (followed by Stoker, if that counts).

If you didn't laugh during Evil Dead, I feel sorry for you :smith:

I can't wait to see S-VHS, though. Where'd you see it? At a festival?

Apes-Ma posted:

A dark fairytale is a pretty apt description.

Guess so, but it didn't have poo poo on a movie like Pan's Labyrinth, another Guillermo Del Toro dark fairytale that blows it out of the water. Mama was just okay at best.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

axleblaze posted:

S-VHS is my most anticipated movie of the year, and every time you mention it I'm filled with so much jealousy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Apes-Ma posted:

The ending is great and it is a call back to a previous moment in the film. When Annabel finally manages to make a connection with Victoria they hug beneath a picture of a tree. In the film's last shot Lucas, Annabel and Victoria tearfully embrace each other behind a tree resting on the hilltop. You can say that Mama brought them together by taking Lily away from them. So bascially, they are connected in their grief. Like how a tree cannot exist without it's roots, their familial unity don't exist without the loss of Lily. I love this because not only is it executed in a very subtle way, it's where the Guilermo del Toro influence become the most apperant. It strikes that same bittersweet chord as the ending of Pan's Labyrinth.

So yeah, I have to agree with HUNDU. I think it's stupid to criticze a horror film solely on how scary it is when it does so much else right. A dark fairytale is a pretty apt description.

Exactly. The two central stories it tells, Victoria coming to love the girls and Mama taking a family for herself is surprisingly strong. I would compare it to Rise of Planet of the Apes or something for it's indifference to incidental characters.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CopywrightMMXI posted:

S-VHS is my most anticipated movie of the year, and every time you mention it I'm filled with so much jealousy.

Even though it's called V/H/S/2, which is a far inferior title.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Coffee And Pie posted:

Could have gone with
code:
V/H/S CH02

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you didn't laugh during Evil Dead, I feel sorry for you :smith:

I can't wait to see S-VHS, though. Where'd you see it? At a festival?

That doesn't answer what part was funny. I just simply don't remember anything in that movie that even seemed like it could have been interpreted as trying to be funny (outside of maybe the kinda goofy "I'll swallow your soul" stuff that seemed to be more of a callback to the other films and one that didn't fit in that well on top of that.

And yeah I saw S-VHS as Sundance. I wrote a little bit about it here.

Coffee And Pie posted:

When I saw it, it was still called S-VHS, so that's what I'm gonna keep calling it :colbert:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
S-V/H/S is the better title, and I wasn't even aware that it had been changed until I saw Coffee and Pie's post.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What do people think about the Scream movies? I really liked number one. two and three just felt kind of forced and bland after that however I thought number four recaptured what the first one got so perfect. That blend of self awarness with out being smug and yet still original and fun.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Tall Man was pretty mediocre. Good bits, but not consistent enough for a great horror film.

The most horror bit recently of any note was the ending of Dark Shadows.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Or at least the last bit.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Volume posted:

What do people think about the Scream movies? I really liked number one. two and three just felt kind of forced and bland after that however I thought number four recaptured what the first one got so perfect. That blend of self awarness with out being smug and yet still original and fun.

I think a lot of the backlash against the Scream movies has more to do with the phenomenon they created, mostly all the copycats, the 'Scary Movie' franchise and the franchises that spun from it, as well as the too self-aware horror movies that plagued the market for years after that.

The original Scream was an absolutely brilliant slasher, at the top of its game and frankly very few movies in that genre are even close. That opening scene is one of the most iconic in horror cinema for a reason.

Now the sequels were not as good, and some of the twists about who the killer were in 2 & 3 were simply ridiculous, but they still had a pretty decent amount of scares. I thought 4 was a great return to form and, although not as good as the original, certainly the best one since the original and if they can keep on making sequels that good, they should go for it.

Anyway, it's not like Neve Campbell's got anything better to do.

In conclusion: 1 > 4 > 2 > 3

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

Volume posted:

The original is still one of the most brilliant slasher movies ever, in my opinion. I haven't rewatched it since before 4 came out, but from what I remember, it totally held up. 2 and 3 I've only seen once or twice each, and not for a while, but I seem to remember 2 being a pretty enjoyable sequel (absolutely love the cold open in the movie theater), and 3 being kind of a mess. 4, as has been said, was a total return to form. I loved it, and my first reaction was that I was so happy Scream 3 is no longer the last in the series. I wouldn't mind a fifth movie, but at the same time, I'd kind of rather they go out on a high note, rather than risking another 3.

Twee as gently caress posted:

In conclusion: 1 > 4 > 2 > 3

The correct order, definitely.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

osietra posted:

Tall Man was pretty mediocre. Good bits, but not consistent enough for a great horror film.

The most horror bit recently of any note was the ending of Dark Shadows.

Tall Man isn't a horror movie, IMO.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Mr. Boogie posted:

The original is still one of the most brilliant slasher movies ever, in my opinion. I haven't rewatched it since before 4 came out, but from what I remember, it totally held up. 2 and 3 I've only seen once or twice each, and not for a while, but I seem to remember 2 being a pretty enjoyable sequel (absolutely love the cold open in the movie theater), and 3 being kind of a mess. 4, as has been said, was a total return to form. I loved it, and my first reaction was that I was so happy Scream 3 is no longer the last in the series. I wouldn't mind a fifth movie, but at the same time, I'd kind of rather they go out on a high note, rather than risking another 3.

The correct order, definitely.

Wait people loved the 4th? I thought it was the worst one, it had some innovative and fresh parts, but ultimately rushed and up its own rear end. Personally the ranking is 1>2>3>4.

2 was actually pretty good until well a certain someone dies and then goes downhill.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Death By The Blues posted:

Wait people loved the 4th? I thought it was the worst one, it had some innovative and fresh parts, but ultimately rushed and up its own rear end. Personally the ranking is 1>2>3>4.

2 was actually pretty good until well a certain someone dies and then goes downhill.

That is the correct things to think about Scream, yes.

Scream: Good movie, bad series.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I genuinely like all the Scream movies, but the first one is the only one that's essential viewing. The only one that I think is really an outright bad movie is the third one (partly because it had a different writer) but there's still a few scenes I like from it. The second is really good, and the fourth one is just a strange phenomenon that it's strange actually got made but I'm glad I did because as a fan of the series it was a real treat.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The first and second films are pretty great, but ultimately the original works as a great slasher/mystery as well as a comment on the genre. The second still has some stuff to say (And has a killer opening) but generally isn't as good. The third should never had seen release in the Cinema seeing as it's basically the DTV entry in the series, and the fourth had the potential to be great but the Weinstein's insisted on re-shoots and re-writes from someone that wasn't Kevin Williamson (Here's a hint though - it was the writer of 3). Hell even Craven was saying before release that it wasn't all that good.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

The first and second films are pretty great, but ultimately the original works as a great slasher/mystery as well as a comment on the genre. The second still has some stuff to say (And has a killer opening) but generally isn't as good. The third should never had seen release in the Cinema seeing as it's basically the DTV entry in the series, and the fourth had the potential to be great but the Weinstein's insisted on re-shoots and re-writes from someone that wasn't Kevin Williamson (Here's a hint though - it was the writer of 3). Hell even Craven was saying before release that it wasn't all that good.

Well if we let Craven decide what should be included in movies nowadays, we'd get poo poo like My Soul To Take so it's probably not a bad idea to have the studio stay behind him and have final word nowadays.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Twee as gently caress posted:

Well if we let Craven decide what should be included in movies nowadays, we'd get poo poo like My Soul To Take so it's probably not a bad idea to have the studio stay behind him and have final word nowadays.

Yeah but when it's the Weinstein's doing the saying we get Scream 4 and Cursed so...it evens out.

The worst thing is that it's supposedly a pretty good script too, or at least it was.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah but when it's the Weinstein's doing the saying we get Scream 4 and Cursed so...it evens out.

The worst thing is that it's supposedly a pretty good script too, or at least it was.

Hey I really liked 4 :shrug:. No excuse for cursed though that was just poo poo

Then again I judge it against other slashers/Scream sequels, so maybe the bar is lowered

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I just finished off watching Lake Mungo and I was thoroughly impressed by the whole enterprise. One thing that really ended up getting to me was the movie's sole jumpscare. I had already read in this thread that the movie had exactly one of them, but I never would have expected them to pull it on me at a point where there was already a scary ghost face on the screen. Good stuff.

The eventual conclusion the family got to still confuses me a bit because of how subdued the whole movie is. Did the ghost of Alice go back into the past and haunt herself into burrying the cellphone, so that in the future her parents would find out why Alice drowned herself? I feel the movie wasn't entirely clear on that whole issue because of how 'real' it tried to present itself. I also wasn't a big fan of the way they showed all the videos and pictures during the credits to reveal that "ALICE WAS ACTUALLY IN THE PICTURES ALL ALONG! :supaburn:" But other than those two minor points I really enjoyed the film, so thanks for recommending it all the time, Horror thread goons! :)

Spring Mint
Apr 12, 2013

JordanKai posted:

The eventual conclusion the family got to still confuses me a bit because of how subdued the whole movie is. Did the ghost of Alice go back into the past and haunt herself into burrying the cellphone, so that in the future her parents would find out why Alice drowned herself? I feel the movie wasn't entirely clear on that whole issue because of how 'real' it tried to present itself. I also wasn't a big fan of the way they showed all the videos and pictures during the credits to reveal that "ALICE WAS ACTUALLY IN THE PICTURES ALL ALONG! :supaburn:" But other than those two minor points I really enjoyed the film, so thanks for recommending it all the time, Horror thread goons! :)

This was the only thing that I didn't like about Lake Mungo. Awww, shoot, if only we'd looked a couple of inches to the side! I get what they were going for but it was kind of unintentionally funny.

Aside from that, this was really the perfect "horror" movie for me.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

JordanKai posted:

I just finished off watching Lake Mungo and I was thoroughly impressed by the whole enterprise. One thing that really ended up getting to me was the movie's sole jumpscare. I had already read in this thread that the movie had exactly one of them, but I never would have expected them to pull it on me at a point where there was already a scary ghost face on the screen. Good stuff.

Lake Mungo wrecked my poo poo!!! I have to agree with you about the end. While I thought it was super awesome that the ghost of herself was haunting her the purpose alluded me. I guess I ignored it because I was so freaked out, but now that you bring it up I have the same questions.

I love the Scream movies. The first one is so clever, and still stands up to this day. The fashion also provides a good laugh. I actually enjoyed the 4th despite my apprehension. I think the third is the weakest was the third. I would actually go so far as to say 1>4>2>3.

I got Ti West's Innkeepers from Best Buy for 9$ and I really enjoyed it. Especially the last frames where you see the main character's ghost.

I also got to see Drag me to Hell today and I did enjoy it. Especially the ending where her face was disintegrating as she was DRAGGED TO HELL. It was cool to see Sam Raimi working on horror again, although I thought some of the effects would have been better if they weren't CGI.

RebBrownies fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 14, 2013

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don't understand what you guys are saying about Lake Mungo. Are you asking about the motivations of a character's presentiment of her own death? There is no motivation. It's not that kind of horror movie. The ghost isn't even really a ghost. She just becomes aware, in a literal, fantasy movie sense, of her own mortality. The film is about how no one else has that awareness, either for her or for themselves.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RebBrownies posted:

Drag me to Hell

The CGI is a weak point of that movie but the movie is still so drat fun that it's easy to look past.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Scream 2 is interesting because it feels like it should be a reaction to post-Columbine fear mongering in the same way that Starship Troopers feels like it should be a reaction to post-9/11 politics, but it's not. It's sad that the sequel was then neutered by post-Columbine fear mongering.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
Why is it that trailers for horror movies are so loving bad?

I just got back from seeing Evil Dead a second time (loved it even more, by the way), and all I could think about was how crappy a lot of the trailers were. And yeah, in general trailers tend to be pretty bad these days, but I can't think of another genre other than horror where nearly every single ad that comes out for a new release makes it look like dog poo poo. And I don't mean that in a "every horror movie that comes out is awful" way. Even horror films that I love have the shittiest trailers imaginable.

Why? Why is it that movies like Prometheus and Star Trek Into Darkness can have trailers that give me chills, but there's rarely ever an equivalent in horror? The only semi-decent ones I can think of recently are Sinister and the Evil Dead redband trailer...but those kind of suck in a different way for spoiling so many of the great scares.

I guess it's good in a way, though, because a lot of times with big blockbuster movies, the trailer is awesome but the movie is a disappointment. With a horror, the trailer makes it look so loving bad that the movie itself ends up being pleasantly surprising.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

I don't understand what you guys are saying about Lake Mungo. Are you asking about the motivations of a character's presentiment of her own death? There is no motivation. It's not that kind of horror movie. The ghost isn't even really a ghost. She just becomes aware, in a literal, fantasy movie sense, of her own mortality. The film is about how no one else has that awareness, either for her or for themselves.

I guess I wasn't looking at the film that way, but now I think it makes a bit more sense. I was looking at it as she was being haunted by her own ghost/or a being that drove her to her own death, as opposed to her awareness of her own mortality. Like when she saw her future dead self on the phone I assumed it was an outside malicious force as opposed to a representation of her own mortality. I guess I thought it was more of a ghost story because of the photos in the credits where you see her ghost, since if it was her awareness of her own mortality personified I'm not sure others would be able to see it (but now I'm just confused).
I guess this is one of those movies that isn't supposed to be taken literally.

Speaking of which someone wrote a huge article about their interpretation of the Evil Dead remake and how it is , in their eyes, a piece of feminist film making.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Mr. Boogie posted:

I just got back from seeing Evil Dead a second time (loved it even more, by the way), and all I could think about was how crappy a lot of the trailers were. And yeah, in general trailers tend to be pretty bad these days, but I can't think of another genre other than horror where nearly every single ad that comes out for a new release makes it look like dog poo poo. And I don't mean that in a "every horror movie that comes out is awful" way. Even horror films that I love have the shittiest trailers imaginable.

Why? Why is it that movies like Prometheus and Star Trek Into Darkness can have trailers that give me chills, but there's rarely ever an equivalent in horror? The only semi-decent ones I can think of recently are Sinister and the Evil Dead redband trailer...but those kind of suck in a different way for spoiling so many of the great scares.

I guess it's good in a way, though, because a lot of times with big blockbuster movies, the trailer is awesome but the movie is a disappointment. With a horror, the trailer makes it look so loving bad that the movie itself ends up being pleasantly surprising.

I don't think I'd be alone in saying at least 95% of horror films that come out are poo poo on ice when you include direct to video ones.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

E the Shaggy posted:

I don't think I'd be alone in saying at least 95% of horror films that come out are poo poo on ice when you include direct to video ones.

Horror is honestly the worst film genre to be a fan of. For every genuinely good horror movie there are 50 awful steaming piles of dog poo poo.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Mr. Boogie posted:

I agree with you. If I try to think of an exception, the Platinum Dunes remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre had an amazing trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mra_Z3cpGCM

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I kind of enjoy bad horror more than I enjoy bad movies in any other genre though, so it all works out.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I just saw The Awakening. It is a Ghost Story set in England in the 20s. Despite a really strong first half, and some really great scares ( The Doll House :gonk: ) it had some hilariously bad CGI and a really weak ending! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

axleblaze posted:

I kind of enjoy bad horror more than I enjoy bad movies in any other genre though, so it all works out.

Seems to be pretty common really, bad horror is almost its own entire classification and plenty of people love it. Nobody loves bad comedy.