Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Eva, Bebop, SoulTaker and Code Geass all had amazing first episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
The only characters I remotely like in this show are the two skinless titans. The rest are terrible archetypes. Also, the unnatural, freaky design and animation of the Titans has absolutely nothing on Eren. That's a true eldritch horror right there.

Does it get any better? Will the characters evolve into something more than silentstrongcharacter, wimpy nerd, and Frankenstein's shounen experiment? Because I kinda like the rest of the show.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Mercrom posted:

The only characters I remotely like in this show are the two skinless titans. The rest are terrible archetypes. Also, the unnatural, freaky design and animation of the Titans has absolutely nothing on Eren. That's a true eldritch horror right there.

Does it get any better? Will the characters evolve into something more than silentstrongcharacter, wimpy nerd, and Frankenstein's shounen experiment? Because I kinda like the rest of the show.

Yes, keep watching a few of us in the manga thread think they were that generic on the outset to gently caress with the viewers expectations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mercrom posted:

Without spoiling much, the manga has a firm love of making GBS threads all over archetypes and cliches. The characters develop a bit more personality and depth as well, though it looks like the pacing will be different between the anime and the manga going forward, so it'll be interesting for everyone to see how the anime production team handles things.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Wow, this show is great. I think I've decided to save the manga for if/when I need it after I've finished the show, but I can already tell it's going to be hard.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mercrom posted:

If you watch after the credits of episode 2 for 3's preview, you'll notice that episode 3 is about how Eren is actually pretty lovely in basic training. That should more or less set the stage for how the tone progresses.

Also I'm pretty surprised at the pacing so far, I expected for them to skip everything in the second episode, but here we are.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

If you make a Crunkyroll account through your PS3 you get a 30 day trial opposed to the 7 or 10 day off the site. I started watching the J-Drama Random Hero which is so stupid it's awesome!

Can't wait to rewatch episode 1 and watch episode 2 of Titans tomorrow.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
After skimming the second episode I'm not a fan of what they're trying to do with this adaptation, they're slowing things down (one particular event which takes 3 panels in the manga goes to a solid two minutes), messing with the original story's order of events and adding tons of filler scenes on top of that. The end result isn't awful but the pacing is disappointing.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The armored titan unclenching its jaw, letting out a jet of steam. :allears:

I was also amused when I noticed this little cameo:

Next episode: potato!

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Thanks for reassuring me. I'll keep watching in hope that the characters improve.

Giggily posted:

If you watch after the credits of episode 2 for 3's preview, you'll notice that episode 3 is about how Eren is actually pretty lovely in basic training. That should more or less set the stage for how the tone progresses.

Also I'm pretty surprised at the pacing so far, I expected for them to skip everything in the second episode, but here we are.
It didn't make the tone clear to me since I feared the main character sucks at everything just so he can use his protagonist powers and plot armor to show the adults the true meaning of courage and determination. I would have preferred it if he aced every single physical test but then got one of his friends killed/doomed humanity because he's an unthinking fool.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
I don't remember the whole "send most of the refugees back out to wall Maria as titan fodder" part in the manga. poo poo got way darker than I expected. :stare:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Mercrom posted:

Thanks for reassuring me. I'll keep watching in hope that the characters improve.

It didn't make the tone clear to me since I feared the main character sucks at everything just so he can use his protagonist powers and plot armor to show the adults the true meaning of courage and determination. I would have preferred it if he aced every single physical test but then got one of his friends killed/doomed humanity because he's an unthinking fool.

I'm not going to say if anything like what is in your spoiler does or does not happen, but if by the end of this you still think the story is cliche and such then I would really like to know what shows you've been watching.

chami posted:

I don't remember the whole "send most of the refugees back out to wall Maria as titan fodder" part in the manga. poo poo got way darker than I expected. :stare:

Check the manga thread for more details.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Ugh, I guess this probably isn't CR's fault but what are these companies thinking with these region restrictions? The realistic alternative to "watch on CR" isn't "wait for expensive local region DVDs to come out much later", it's "pirate".

edit: I'd consider subscribing to Funimation to watch but I don't know if they have the same region restrictions or not.
edit2: Just asked them on Twitter, if it's available it's probably worth the $2 an ep even if I don't watch anything else on there.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 14, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it's just that licensing in more regions costs more money. And obviously, some region restriction has to be put in place so the Japanese consumer base isn't able to watch it for free and has to buy the blu-rays.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ShardPhoenix posted:

edit: I'd consider subscribing to Funimation to watch but I don't know if they have the same region restrictions or not.

Funimation is contractually restricted to North America 99.9% of the time. Even their trailers and poo poo are usually region locked.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it's just that licensing in more regions costs more money. And obviously, some region restriction has to be put in place so the Japanese consumer base isn't able to watch it for free and has to buy the blu-rays.
They could try to force the whole world to buy the blu-rays but they've obviously decided that won't work for America so I don't know why they apparently think it will work for Australia (or else they just misjudged how much they could charge for this region).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ShardPhoenix posted:

They could try to force the whole world to buy the blu-rays but they've obviously decided that won't work for America so I don't know why they apparently think it will work for Australia (or else they just misjudged how much they could charge for this region).

I think America is prioritized both because these sites are usually based in America and America is one of the biggest markets for anime outside of Japan.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Region Locking is the tool of fools and whilst I will not condone piracy as a course of action against it in this instance (given I'm in the UK and we're getting it though CR) I will state that using a VPN or other such tool to defeat the region locking, in effect the actual act of watching the episode, is just as illegal as getting off BT/IRC so your choice of reasonable legal action (defined by me as "Not being forced to buy BRs (which only MIGHT contain English subs) at two eps a pop for upwards of 70$) is limited.

It's not a nice prospect but, well, that's what we're dealing with.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 14, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Jesus, this show.

You'd think the most frightening thing would be the giant Titan with the exposed muscles/ligaments, or the other giant Titan that ran right through the gate.

But not in my case, I'm most put off by the smaller Titans that have more humanoid features, the ones with hair and deformed ape bodies. They remind me of a picture of a Cyclops I saw when I was younger, the same idea of a giant disproportional monster with human-like features. Then they pick people up like it ain't no thing, reminds me of the way little kids sometimes play with insects. Not to mention the way they look at everything, unfaltering smile and wide-eyed glances, holy god. :stare:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HoneyBoy posted:

Not to mention the way they look at everything, unfaltering smile and wide-eyed glances, holy god. :stare:

Attack On Titan(Shingeki No Kyojin) - Nice To Eat You :D

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Second episode was pretty good, though it does have 2nd episode syndrome where we're done with the whizz-bang first ep introductions but haven't quite gotten to the meat of the story yet. Also was that big titan that smashed the wall supposed to be a robot or something? I kinda didn't like how it seemed to be totally unaffected by anything - I'd rather see a hard but fair fight that one that ends up requiring some sort of gimmick or hidden superweapon

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

ShardPhoenix posted:

Second episode was pretty good, though it does have 2nd episode syndrome where we're done with the whizz-bang first ep introductions but haven't quite gotten to the meat of the story yet. Also was that big titan that smashed the wall supposed to be a robot or something? I kinda didn't like how it seemed to be totally unaffected by anything - I'd rather see a hard but fair fight that one that ends up requiring some sort of gimmick or hidden superweapon

You may develop a strong lave hate relationship with this story.

But enough obfuscation, the best moment in that whole episode was the very short shot of the titan crashing through some masonry or a bridge. No effort or distemper on it's part displayed, just really inhuman movement and an unflinching :downs: expression. That and all the rictus grins are what them so drat terrifying.

Edit: rictus THANKS, ipad autocorrect. :argh:

Not Keyser Soze fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 14, 2013

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Not Keyser Soze posted:

That and all the rectal grins are what them so drat terrifying.

R-Rictus...?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I thought characters "acted logically" in this show and that's one of the reasons why it's appealing, but the first two episodes have been seemingly full of people acting surprised when somewhat weak looking walls didn't stand up against gigantic + powerful titans.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

darkgray posted:

R-Rictus...?
This show is censored from the original manga, you've only just learned how much. You didn't think the Titans really ate people with their mouths, did you?

EDIT: As for the Titans, the normal skin-having ones don't seem especially intelligent or strong enough to smash the walls of the city. It's only the skinless supergiants who've been having any luck at breaking the walls, and they come and go almost randomly. Humans may have never seen them before.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mio Bison posted:

After skimming the second episode I'm not a fan of what they're trying to do with this adaptation, they're slowing things down (one particular event which takes 3 panels in the manga goes to a solid two minutes), messing with the original story's order of events and adding tons of filler scenes on top of that. The end result isn't awful but the pacing is disappointing.

Actually, I think they are making exactly the right call by slowing things down. There's stuff in the manga that's really important (Armored Titan breaking Wall Maria, the campaign to reclaim the wall where a bunch of people died) that some readers didn't catch:

chami posted:

and I think the anime is doing a much better job of underlining their importance. Same goes for the stuff in the next episode preview.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Brett824 posted:

I thought characters "acted logically" in this show and that's one of the reasons why it's appealing, but the first two episodes have been seemingly full of people acting surprised when somewhat weak looking walls didn't stand up against gigantic + powerful titans.

Dude, that's because those walls have stood for hundreds of years, and no one has ever seen titans like those gigantic + powerful ones before. I thought that was kind of clear? But yea the "holy poo poo these characters are smart" stuff comes once the characters stop being nine years old.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Brett824 posted:

Those walls have stood up to the titans for a century, so you're dealing with a population that hasn't had any breaks for several generations. Even the exceptionally old people have only heard about it in stories from their parents or grandparents, so yeah, people are likely to be surprised when something they've been taking for granted (arguably justifiably so, I haven't read the manga but the red titans seem to be unprecedented) is proven to be false. Remember, the walls were high enough for the regular titans when suddenly there's a big rear end red dude calmly looking over it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brett824 posted:

The very first episode features one of the guards talking about how there's no way the Titans can break the walls and that it hasn't happened before. Also multiple characters scream about how it's impossible that a Titan could be so huge. So it's pretty reasonable to extrapolate "all of this poo poo that is happening is outside of the rulebook" and as we saw (again in the first episode), even the well-trained dudes who literally go out to meet the Titans come back with their poo poo wrecked when they're prepared to fight Titans instead of an unexpected incursion.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I felt like Haneth honestly telling Eren that he ran away while carrying them instead of fighting because he lacked the courage to fight was a really great scene and a very logical and believable action that would've been tossed aside for heroic sacrifice in most any other series. It strikes a similar chord to how actual soldiers oftentimes deserted the field of battle; facing down nightmare fuel giants practically requires insane levels of hatred or indifference and Haneth doesn't show those sorts of motivations to us; he's just a guy doing his job. He wasn't expecting to probably ever have to fight titans up close, and the reality of the situation wasn't something he had the personal strength to face. Him being able to admit that to Eren means he isn't deluding himself either, no matter how much he hates it. Contrast this to Eren (who is unwilling to admit he lacks the strength to challenge the titans right now) that we see later on in the episode, and you get a fairly good example between the two of how the events impact them differently.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 14, 2013

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Brett824 posted:

Did you sleep through the first episode or something? They've never seen a 50m tall Titan before, the idea that one was that big never even occured to them. The walls have stood for 100 years against regular sized titans so there was no reason to think they'd ever be able to get through.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, taking a wild, wild guess (i don't know anything, just WMGing) MC's father created the redgiants!

Although, how are they starving with 1.25m people in such a big area? Medioeval farming methods?
(Were they starving before losing the Maria wall? since they lost 20% of the population and like half the area, it would make sense)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Titans are evil. But humans are loving assholes, too. :(

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Aureon posted:

So, taking a wild, wild guess (i don't know anything, just WMGing) MC's father created the redgiants!

Although, how are they starving with 1.25m people in such a big area? Medioeval farming methods?
(Were they starving before losing the Maria wall? since they lost 20% of the population and like half the area, it would make sense)

You add a quarter of a million more people with a net loss of an entire area of farm-able land and its not hard to see that there would be problems :v:.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDHCLjuOzXY

I love Japan sometimes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aureon posted:

If you look at the eye catches in the middle, it looks like most of the best farming land was probably between the first and second wall. The interior seems like it is used to produce industrial materials while the exterior was agricultural. It also makes sense to assume a somewhat agricultural base sense all the refugees were put to work farming. If all that was living in the huge area between walls Maria and Rose was 1.25 million people that's a lot of food production that's now gone. Especially since it appears that even before the wall fell food wasn't over abundant.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Titans are evil. But humans are loving assholes, too. :(

That's a main theme here.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Actually, I think they are making exactly the right call by slowing things down.
Yeah, I kind of agree. Honestly, the manga starts so fast and crazy that I only even noticed the armored titan reading the story for the second time.

Aureon posted:

Because as far as I can tell the eyecatch in the first episode was wrong. Nothing in the manga indicates the walls are that massive. And yeah, they said there were food shortages even before losing Maria.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Eiba posted:

Honestly, the manga starts so fast and crazy that I only even noticed the armored titan reading the story for the second time.
Same. I thought the colossal titan had kicked it open with his foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Eiba posted:

Because as far as I can tell the eyecatch in the first episode was wrong. Nothing in the manga indicates the walls are that massive. And yeah, they said there were food shortages even before losing Maria.

That was lifted directly from the manga. It's one of the extras included in the volume releases.

e: Here's one of the images.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 14, 2013

• Locked thread