Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rawrbomb posted:

Is bell still doing crappy massive bandwidth shaping? I remember being in the Mississauga area, and regardless of the connection with bell or the package, some stuff just wouldn't go faster than 80KB/s.
Yeah I thought there was a big deal about their throttling, or is that one of the things the CRTC told them they can't do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Bell has loving 50/50? What the gently caress is Telus Cityplace doing offering 100/5/$100?
Yeah, and 175/175. The cap is laughable, so you'd pretty much have to expect to spend almost $200 a month to make it viable.

RE: Throttling: I did read that Bell stopped doing all kind of shaping or throttling some time ago when Rogers was nailed for throttling P2P (which also affected all those World of Warcraft neckbeards).
I'm still skeptical about their business practices, too. Their mobility division is where I hear most of the horror stories come from, however. Not sure about their Internet provider. This is all stuff to look into via DSLreports/Broadbandreports, I guess.

Having a VPN is no problem as well, but services out there might rarely be able to handle something as much as 50mbits if you wanted to fully utilize your connection (say, for usenet).
Also at 50Mbit and up, you could start to see some destination resources being slower than what your residential pipe can handle. I've heard of that for some lucky ducks using 100Mbit lines.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

For those of you that haven't received the email, Teksavvy is doing some system upgrades in the wee hours over the next few days so your connection may go down.

Teksavvy posted:

Dear TekSavvy Customer,

TekSavvy is growing its network! As a result of significant network upgrades please be aware of the following maintenence windows.
Monday, April 8th 1AM to 6AM
Tuesday, April 9th 1AM to 6AM
Wednesday, April 10th 1AM to 6AM
Thursday, April 11th 1AM to 6AM

After the times shown above you will be able to use the Internet as normal. For more information please read the FAQ's below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will this change affect the speed of my connection?
The speed of your connection will remain the same.

Will I now be able to get a faster package?
The improvements and investments we are making in our network are making way for many of the new packages, speeds and areas we have announced.

What do I do if I cannot access the Internet after 6AM on the above dates?
If your service is not active, please unplug your modem from the power source for approximately 5 minutes and then plug it back in. Once this is completed, your service will function as it always has.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I don't see 50/50 on Fibe at all, just 50/10 and then 175/175.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Maybe inquire with them; there might not actually be availability for it in your area. Here's the product page: http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Products/Fibe_Internet_50_50.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

slidebite posted:

For those of you that haven't received the email, Teksavvy is doing some system upgrades in the wee hours over the next few days so your connection may go down.

This only applies to those people who receive the email. It's not for every single Teksavvy customer. I recevied an email like this a few weeks ago for upgrades in my area, which had downtime in March.

edit: vvvv No worries. For reference, in my experience the internet was not down for 100% of the times they listed.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 8, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I was under the impression it was system wide from the freakouts I read on DSLR. Apologies!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

New job offers home internet reimbursement if you need to work from home sometimes (I do). :yotj: Switching out my old TSI cable 28 for TSI unlimited 25/10 DSL. I won't miss that extra downstream but going from 1MB to 10MB upstream will be fantastic. Hopefully they'll be able to offer 50/something here soon, too.

I'm not terribly impressed with how Bell is handling the modem, though. Rather than sending it out with the tech who is (purportedly) coming on friday, they couriered it out with some service that left it lying on my front porch all day. The modem itself is a behemoth, a Sagemcom "F@st 2864" which appears to double as a router and WAP; hopefully it's not too difficult to turn off the wireless and put it into bridge mode, but I'm not optimistic after the last two modems.

Also, the instructions from Bell say to "place in an upright position". Two of the edges are curved, one has the LAN and coax ports on it and the last one, the one most likely to serve as a "bottom", has the phone and power ports. :psyduck:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, the instructions from Bell say to "place in an upright position". Two of the edges are curved, one has the LAN and coax ports on it and the last one, the one most likely to serve as a "bottom", has the phone and power ports. :psyduck:

I think I had a similar Sagecom modem from bell. There should be a cutout to leave some space for the cables once you stand it upright. Also, it was an awful router/modem and I had to reset the drat thing regularly when it just stopped working for no apparent reason.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure if this is happening for other ISPs as well, but VideoTron will no longer offer unlimited internet as an upgrade after April 20th. Those who sign up before then can keep it, but they won't allow accounts to acquire it after that date.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Ahahah hoooooly poo poo, what a crap ISP they are. $150 a month for 120/20, but only if you bundle it with cable and they still only give you 170GB of transfer.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Videotron are pretty much terrible across the board. This comes to me as no surprise.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Canceled my TSI DSL account today. 1.5 months without steady Internet is about all the goodwill I have left in me. Signed up for Rogers, who are also my employer. Stuck it out with TSI because I believed in a nice, competitive market, but at the end of the day I need to have quick turn around time when poo poo hits the fan.

Next on the chopping block is Wind and their god loving awful service. Literally the worst cell service I've ever had. Won't be sad to ditch them though.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Stanley Pain posted:

Canceled my TSI DSL account today. 1.5 months without steady Internet is about all the goodwill I have left in me. Signed up for Rogers, who are also my employer. Stuck it out with TSI because I believed in a nice, competitive market, but at the end of the day I need to have quick turn around time when poo poo hits the fan.

Next on the chopping block is Wind and their god loving awful service. Literally the worst cell service I've ever had. Won't be sad to ditch them though.

TSI is just a reseller for Bell and Rogers and other ISP's. There is a good chance they weren't at fault for the issue. I'm not sure what sort of contact you had with them about getting it restored.

I'm surprised they didn't offer to move you to cable instead.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rawrbomb posted:

TSI is just a reseller for Bell and Rogers and other ISP's. There is a good chance they weren't at fault for the issue. I'm not sure what sort of contact you had with them about getting it restored.

I'm surprised they didn't offer to move you to cable instead.

It was 1.5 months of troubleshooting. We're 100% confident it's Bell's issue. They're just dragging their feet. So I guess congrats go out to Bell :/

2 Modems replaced, wiring inside my house re-done, Bell tech said they checked the dry-loop and it's OK and as far as I can tell it is. From my network experience it feels like a flapping interface somewhere on Bells side. Intermittent rolling disconnects that are not Sync related.

I didn't want to move to cable since 50/10 service + unlimited is significantly less on the DSL side.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Do you at least get a good employee discount?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's 50%. TSI Was still cheaper @ that speed + unlimited tier

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Stanley Pain posted:

Weird, we must have the newer HSPA+ towers out here or something because Wind is amazing in the Hamilton/Niagara region. Great coverage, rock solid, awesome speeds, etc. My girlfriend and I have both saved like 3 grand in the past few years by switching to Wind.

Cogeco raised the caps on their business tiers, just a heads up for anyone on them. They didn't talk about enforcing caps on business but such a generous lift (175 to 400GB on Starter alone) from such a stingy company makes me wonder.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Why not try Teksavvy Cable?

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

EngineerJoe posted:

Indeed, I was with TSI DSL for about two years before suddenly experiencing issues similar to Stanley Pain's. Switched to cable and haven't had any issues since. In other news I have officially cancelled all rogers services in my home. Everything I use is now provided by third parties. Not sure what to do about the increasingly expensive Bell landline I have...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, I've looked a bit more at the new modem and it is complete poo poo.

In theory, it shouldn't be too bad - it's a linux machine running openRG. But it's extremely locked down; you can't view line stats, can't configure much of anything except port forwarding, DMZ, and DNS, can't push new firmware to it. But your ISP can, oh yes! This wouldn't bother me so much if it were just a modem, but it's also a router, four-port switch, wireless access point, and NAT firewall.

Oh yeah, and there's no bridge mode, either. And despite being Linux based there's no source code available.

Fortunately, some enterprising people over at DSLreports are figuring out how to unfuck it, at least slightly - enabling telnet (which Bell disabled with their last firmware push) and line stats and even unlocking the Bell-only version of the web interface. So, I'll at least be able to get line stats out of it for troubleshooting when Bell inevitably fucks something up, but it'll be a while, if ever, before bridge mode or custom firmware are possible on it. :sigh:

I wonder if TSI would let me buy my own modem and use that instead...

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

ToxicFrog posted:

Well, I've looked a bit more at the new modem and it is complete poo poo.

In theory, it shouldn't be too bad - it's a linux machine running openRG. But it's extremely locked down; you can't view line stats, can't configure much of anything except port forwarding, DMZ, and DNS, can't push new firmware to it. But your ISP can, oh yes! This wouldn't bother me so much if it were just a modem, but it's also a router, four-port switch, wireless access point, and NAT firewall.

Oh yeah, and there's no bridge mode, either. And despite being Linux based there's no source code available.

Fortunately, some enterprising people over at DSLreports are figuring out how to unfuck it, at least slightly - enabling telnet (which Bell disabled with their last firmware push) and line stats and even unlocking the Bell-only version of the web interface. So, I'll at least be able to get line stats out of it for troubleshooting when Bell inevitably fucks something up, but it'll be a while, if ever, before bridge mode or custom firmware are possible on it. :sigh:

I wonder if TSI would let me buy my own modem and use that instead...

They do let you use your own if its on their supported list of modems

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sprawl posted:

They do let you use your own if its on their supported list of modems

This is true for ADSL/ADSL2, but for all VDSL speeds, you are required to use (buy or pay rental on) a Bell modem, either a Sagemcom if you are on a 7330 based line, or a Cellpipe if you are on a Stinger based line.

If you are on a 7330 based line, you can use other VDSL modems with some success, but you *still* need to rent (or buy) the modem from Bell as part of the activation process.

This probably will get knocked over via the CRTC or courts eventually, but that's at least 2 years away. Teksavvy is also trying to work with Bell about getting a less locked down firmware for the modems, but there is no timeline on that.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

EngineerJoe posted:

He's employed by Rogers, and wants to use a reseller of Rogers' cable service for home internet use? You can bet that THAT would mysteriously make its way into a performance review later on.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, unfucking the modem went surprisingly smoothly!
- install and run bootpd and atftpd
- feed atftpd a firmware file for an older version
- plug in the modem and reboot while holding down reset; it'll load the older firmware over TFTP
...and now, with the older firmware running, you can use this technique to edit the configuration file, enable telnet, enable the port 50001 "bell mode" web interface with line stats, and prevent Bell (or anyone else) from accessing it remotely. Then just reboot and it's running the latest firmware, but the configuration changes are still in effect.

And now my net connection looks like this:

Which is pretty much exactly what I'm paying for :toot:

The line stats tool thinks that the line is capable of 75 down/25 up, though. Hopefully I can actually get that someday.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Nice. Did you by any chance have weird speeds before unfucking the modem? Your reasons for doing it were already justified, but I was curious about whether or not it affected your rates too.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Septimus posted:

Indeed, I was with TSI DSL for about two years before suddenly experiencing issues similar to Stanley Pain's. Switched to cable and haven't had any issues since. In other news I have officially cancelled all rogers services in my home. Everything I use is now provided by third parties. Not sure what to do about the increasingly expensive Bell landline I have...

If you don't need 100% reliability (and you probably don't if you all have cell phones) you should try voip.ms. Super cheap and pretty reliable (not as reliable as a land line). The only downside is that it's a DIY type of thing and getting the ATA adapter set up can be a bit challenging. My household has been virtually big telecom free since I cancelled my Shaw Direct service last month. The only service I have from Robellus is my Rogers cell phone provided by my employer.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kachunkachunk posted:

Nice. Did you by any chance have weird speeds before unfucking the modem? Your reasons for doing it were already justified, but I was curious about whether or not it affected your rates too.

Yes, but I also tested it before the connection was set to be officially activated, so it probably just hadn't been profiled yet. I mainly just wanted to make sure the modem was working and that I'd hooked up everything in the phone closet properly, and that's when I found out how much the modem sucked and decided I might as well make it suck less before reconnecting it.

By the time I finished doing that, it was past the official activation time, so I figure the difference is just that things hadn't been configured at their end yet.

E: everything has now been moved over to the new modem - setup is now wall -> modem -> router -> everything else. Adding the router doesn't seem to have affected speed or latency and none of my computers even noticed that anything had changed.

:toot:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 14, 2013

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Well Start is wonderful - called me to confirm everything was working, and it's faster than anything I've had before. Paying for 30/2 with a 200gb cap, and:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I am also pleased with my Start Communication cable internet:

Speedboost had a hand in those results but the boost lasts almost the entire test now. When its boosting it does upwards of 150mbit/s then drops to exactly 45mbit. Couldn't be happier.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DMZ and port forwarding don't actually work on the Sagemcom. :suicide:

E: and remote_access(0) doesn't actually do anything, this fucker is exposing the admin interface to the entire internet :gonk:

E: these commands successfully put the modem in bridge mode and everything is much better now.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 14, 2013

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

DMZ and port forwarding don't actually work on the Sagemcom. :suicide:

E: and remote_access(0) doesn't actually do anything, this fucker is exposing the admin interface to the entire internet :gonk:

E: these commands successfully put the modem in bridge mode and everything is much better now.

Any combined router platforms have always been and will always be dogshit. Use a single port modem-only solution, and whatever you want as your router.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ToxicFrog posted:

You're welcome.

That was a weeks worth of mucking through the firmware source and every foreign language forum that dealt with similar modems to figure out. Luckly I've been home with a wicked cold and nothing much else to do.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Are there any good options for someone living in Calgary? Right now my roommates and I have broadband 50 and due to horrific saturation usually don't get more then 20. I will be getting my own place next month and would definitely be open to switching away from shaw or Telus.

kes
Jan 4, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

Are there any good options for someone living in Calgary? Right now my roommates and I have broadband 50 and due to horrific saturation usually don't get more then 20. I will be getting my own place next month and would definitely be open to switching away from shaw or Telus.

Telus has a 6-month discount for new subscribers which for some reason no longer comes with a required contract, so you can get 25mbit for $30/month and then switch providers when it runs out. It's a pretty good deal and Telus' DSL service is still good (but who knows how long that'll last).

Just be sure to demand an Alcatel.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

titaniumone posted:

Any combined router platforms have always been and will always be dogshit. Use a single port modem-only solution, and whatever you want as your router.

You are correct but Bell mandates these turds for anyone using the higher speed dsl, even the third parties.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

8ender posted:

You are correct but Bell mandates these turds for anyone using the higher speed dsl, even the third parties.

Unfortunately some of Bell's FTTN nodes are pre-final VDSL spec, they use some custom firmware hacks to get a decent sync rate out of the modems. If you're on a "stinger" DSLAM you have to use Bell's Cellpipe or Sagemcom modems to get the proper sync rates for the VDSL profiles. The newer 7330 DSLAMs don't have this issue and any VDSL2 capable modem can be used.

Of course the stinger units were the first wave of Bell's fibe roll out so they're still relatively new, odds are they won't be replaced anytime soon.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

infernal machines posted:

Of course the stinger units were the first wave of Bell's fibe roll out so they're still relatively new, odds are they won't be replaced anytime soon.

Given that Bell still operates its pre-WiMax network in many areas i'd say thats a fair assessment.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

kes posted:

Telus has a 6-month discount for new subscribers which for some reason no longer comes with a required contract, so you can get 25mbit for $30/month and then switch providers when it runs out. It's a pretty good deal and Telus' DSL service is still good (but who knows how long that'll last).

Just be sure to demand an Alcatel.

That looks like you need to sign up for more then one service to get it, and all I want is internet. Guess I will just have to cross my fingers and hope that my new area isn't as saturated. :(

God I miss SaskTel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

8ender posted:

Another great reason to avoid Bell entirely.

(My condolences to those who have no other options).