Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Choice of Dragon was kinda cool the first time around, but on the second playthrough it seems like your choices don't affect events much. Are the other games the same way or are they better about branching points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FF5 is small and replayable. Kind of expensive though, $17 or so.

Sometimes like, FF1 goes on sale for $4 or something at this point. Old SE games get cheaper whenever a new one is out.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Boxman posted:

I don't know what you consider "not too much space" or "too expensive", but Lunar: Silver Star Story Touch is a great port of SSSC for $7. Also, if you haven't played it for some dumb reason, The World Ends With You is certainly more expensive than you were hoping at $18, but its literally the best thing Square-Enix has done in, like, a decade, so it really deserves the money.

Square Enix produced it, another company made it. That was it is so amazing. Seriously it is one of the best RPG to come out in a decade. The extra content after you have beaten the game is just so perfect :allears:

Anyways, Other good rpgs would be:

The penny arcade game is pretty great too. I would recommend playing it on hard and treat all battles like a puzzle. Otherwise it gets too easy. It also was just produced by penny-arcade and made by someone else. Which is also why it has its funny moments.

Beastie Bay is a fun little city builder/pokemon game. It is free, with IAP to remove ads, so try it out.

Dragon Island is kinda similar to the Megami Tensei games, but most like the easier Gameboy color version.

Fairune is a fun and 100% free (seriously how is that guy making money?). Very simple, but it has got some decent puzzles.

I have had some good stuff about Eternal Legacy, but I haven't played it.

Edit: Speaking of Final Fantasy 1 does anyone know how to open the world map? K

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 14, 2013

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

El Hefe posted:

Apple would never allow that game to get anywhere near the App Store.

This is true. And I know it from personal experience.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tiramisu posted:

Choice of Dragon was kinda cool the first time around, but on the second playthrough it seems like your choices don't affect events much. Are the other games the same way or are they better about branching points?

Choice of Dragon is their first outting, and their most simple. There is some branches if you really look but largely it's just "success" and "failure" with different methods of going about it. The other games are similar but there's a lot more far reaching choices, and some of them go in completely different directions based on your earlier choices, like Choice of Vampire.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Boxman posted:

I don't know what you consider "not too much space" or "too expensive", but Lunar: Silver Star Story Touch is a great port of SSSC for $7. Also, if you haven't played it for some dumb reason, The World Ends With You is certainly more expensive than you were hoping at $18, but its literally the best thing Square-Enix has done in, like, a decade, so it really deserves the money.

As excellent a game as it is, TWEWY really doesn't meet the space criterion; it takes up around 2.5 gigs (and I think needs about 4GB of empty space to install). TWEWY's awesome, but it is a beast.

e: The App Store says 656 MB. This is a lie.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

As excellent a game as it is, TWEWY really doesn't meet the space criterion; it takes up around 2.5 gigs (and I think needs about 4GB of empty space to install). TWEWY's awesome, but it is a beast.

e: The App Store says 656 MB. This is a lie.

Funny, I was just about to ask that and that is precisely what I was hoping I wouldn't hear.

Does it cheap you out of any game content through the IAP? Very interested in replaying this game sometime soon but really want to know that the £14 is for the whole thing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Maybe they somehow made it smaller in an update? I definitely remember it sitting at 2 gigs when I had it installed, too. And I'm seconding that recommendation-- it's totally worth the pricepoint (and it's, by necessity, had a lot of work done to make it playable on something other than a DS-- not a half added port like FFT where they just added touch controls to the menus) and hopefully the storage requirements won't keep you from playing it.

Edit: when I played it, right when it came out, there wasnt actually any IAP-- that got added in a later update. All it does, though, is basically let you pay to "cheat"-- I don't think the IAP adds any new content and game progression isn't balanced around it in any way whatsoever.

Edit edit: yeah, I doublechecked-- the IAP gives you some extra soundtrack stuff (which is cool I guess), extra money, a stat-boosting food, and extra crafting materials. None of those latter three are new or necessary or give you anything you can't achieve in the game normally, and, again, the game's difficulty and progression was established before IAP ever became an option.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 14, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

goferchan posted:

Maybe they somehow made it smaller in an update? I definitely remember it sitting at 2 gigs when I had it installed, too. And I'm seconding that recommendation-- it's totally worth the pricepoint (and it's, by necessity, had a lot of work done to make it playable on something other than a DS-- not a half added port like FFT where they just added touch controls to the menus) and hopefully the storage requirements won't keep you from playing it.

Edit: when I played it, right when it came out, there wasnt actually any IAP-- that got added in a later update. All it does, though, is basically let you pay to "cheat"-- I don't think the IAP adds any new content and game progression isn't balanced around it in any way whatsoever.

Edit edit: yeah, I doublechecked-- the IAP gives you some extra soundtrack stuff (which is cool I guess), extra money, a stat-boosting food, and extra crafting materials. None of those latter three are new or necessary or give you anything you can't achieve in the game normally, and, again, the game's difficulty and progression was established before IAP ever became an option.

What size is it currently sitting at?
I know I'll have an insane amount of trouble getting it to install anything even close to 2gb right now.

By the way... Why is that? Games are never as small as the store claims they are and they demand a hell of a lot of extra free space before they are willing to install.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Shwqa posted:

Square Enix produced it, another company made it. That was it is so amazing. Seriously it is one of the best RPG to come out in a decade. The extra content after you have beaten the game is just so perfect :allears:

Anyways, Other good rpgs would be:

The penny arcade game is pretty great too. I would recommend playing it on hard and treat all battles like a puzzle. Otherwise it gets too easy. It also was just produced by penny-arcade and made by someone else. Which is also why it has its funny moments.

TWEWY is worth all the pennies. It is such a fantastic game (on the DS).

Make sure you don't buy the Penny Arcade card game. It's a poopy Ascension wannabe. Shwqa is talking about the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness RPG.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sad lions posted:

I know I'll have an insane amount of trouble getting it to install anything even close to 2gb right now.

By the way... Why is that? Games are never as small as the store claims they are and they demand a hell of a lot of extra free space before they are willing to install.

I don't have it installed now so I can't tell you-- I'm not sure why games end up taking up more space, once installed, than the App Store description (barring those that download extra assets as you play or have IAP that actually requires downloading new content) but the reason they take a lot more space to install initially is simple-- the file you're downloading from the App Store is basically an archived installer. Imagine downloading a 400 megabyte ZIP file, when you unzip it you temporarily need the free space for the ZIP file AND its contents available-- afterwards, you can delete the ZIP file, but not until you've extracted it.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

If you're looking for a non rpg time waster check out Cook Serve Delicious. It's a fantastically well made restaurant owner arcade game. Not sure how old it is

Buy new foods, upgrade your current recipes and try not to piss off the health inspector while keeping your restaurants level of buzz as high as you can.

There's no real failure state, if you do bad one day you'll just have less customers the next. The lunch and dinner rush can get pretty hectic though.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone play the new King Cashing 2 chapter?

The boss on page 8 is going to take some serious grinding I think. 1700 HP... :ohdear:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sad lions posted:

On my iPad it's currently 2.4 GB, and the save file is apparently . . . 120 KB :buddy:

And yeah, the App Store says it's so small because that's the size of the installer that they actually host.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Thanks for the advice. TWEWY is definitely something I'm going to look at once I upgrade my iDevice to something that will run it and afford the space. I'll check out the other recommendations later.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
TWEWY is as good as everyone says. I bought it a few hours ago when all the talk about it started, and I haven't put it down since. Sitting at home. Playing an iPhone game.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

TWEWY is as good as everyone says. I bought it a few hours ago when all the talk about it started, and I haven't put it down since. Sitting at home. Playing an iPhone game.

Only downside is that there's practically no way to get the Social Pins, outside of knowing someone else with the game on iOS, with the time to sit down and connect to each other.

Lost my phone when I was about half way through Really wished I'd backed up my saves for that game. Would have continued on no problem.

In fact - Anyone got a couple of saves for it? Would love to get back into it. I was on the 3rd day of the second week. Just after you get access to Tin Pin Slash.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

Vadun posted:

If you're looking for a non rpg time waster check out Cook Serve Delicious. It's a fantastically well made restaurant owner arcade game. Not sure how old it is

Buy new foods, upgrade your current recipes and try not to piss off the health inspector while keeping your restaurants level of buzz as high as you can.

There's no real failure state, if you do bad one day you'll just have less customers the next. The lunch and dinner rush can get pretty hectic though.

Oh man, I wanted CSD on my phone SO BAD. Thanks, JERK.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Trillest Parrot posted:

Good news: it's iPad only!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

Only downside is that there's practically no way to get the Social Pins, outside of knowing someone else with the game on iOS, with the time to sit down and connect to each other.

Lost my phone when I was about half way through Really wished I'd backed up my saves for that game. Would have continued on no problem.

In fact - Anyone got a couple of saves for it? Would love to get back into it. I was on the 3rd day of the second week. Just after you get access to Tin Pin Slash.

According to the update that came out since I completed the game, they've made Mingle PP a lot easier to get and provided alternate ways of obtaining it.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I just bought it and the combat system is awesome but boy howdy the main character is reminding me of why I don't play jRPGs much. Does he ever stop being such a mopey little poo poo?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Vhak lord of hate posted:

I just bought it and the combat system is awesome but boy howdy the main character is reminding me of why I don't play jRPGs much. Does he ever stop being such a mopey little poo poo?

Yep, he's kinda supposed to be a 13 year old rear end in a top hat in the beginning.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Yeah, the whole point of the story is how he goes from an insufferable shithead to someone who actually ~learns~ stuff and isn't an rear end in a top hat all the time.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Vadun posted:

Gunna second this recommendation as well - it's a fantastic game and (I think) completely devoid of IAP! Only downside is that it's iPad-only, but I can't imagine it would control that well on a small phone screen.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Cyberbob posted:

You get Mingle points by playing Tin Pin Slammer on practice, which sounds like a pain, but both shutdown and Mingle PP "count" at I think a 9:1 ratio of what battle PP is, so you only need about a tenth of the Mingle or Shutdown PP to over-ride battle.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

In the post content he gets to be the best jrpg hero of all time. It is worth the build up. Also that is kinda the point of the plot is that he is a mopey piece of poo poo.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 15, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

People who played TWEWY on both DS and iOS - does the iOS version lose something in the switch to 1 screen and clumsier controls?

I'm going through this weird phase where I'm only playing games I've already played through for some reason.

Is it better to go for it on iPad or iPhone?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

You get Mingle points by playing Tin Pin Slammer on practice, which sounds like a pain, but both shutdown and Mingle PP "count" at I think a 9:1 ratio of what battle PP is, so you only need about a tenth of the Mingle or Shutdown PP to over-ride battle.

They do? I also just got this game and it's good to have the bigger res, and I'm okay with the different controls and battle stuff, but gently caress the mingle pp. :psyduck: I've been playing practice matches forever and they only fill up a teensy part of the bar each time, even assuming I win which is like 60% of the time. At least on the DS I could fudge it with the alien encounters and stuff. And my cell, for some reason.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

People who played TWEWY on both DS and iOS - does the iOS version lose something in the switch to 1 screen and clumsier controls?

I'm going through this weird phase where I'm only playing games I've already played through for some reason.

Is it better to go for it on iPad or iPhone?

I didn't play the DS version, but I found the iPad controls to be really quite good. The partner combat system is greatly different, from what I've read. Here's a wiki page detailing the changes in Solo Remix. Sorry if this isn't really pertinent to your question.

Corridor posted:

They do? I also just got this game and it's good to have the bigger res, and I'm okay with the different controls and battle stuff, but gently caress the mingle pp. :psyduck: I've been playing practice matches forever and they only fill up a teensy part of the bar each time, even assuming I win which is like 60% of the time. At least on the DS I could fudge it with the alien encounters and stuff. And my cell, for some reason.

Yeah, you definitely don't have to fill the whole bar with Mingle PP. Tin Pin practice matches only give a pittance per pin, but 1 MPP = 20 BPP (and 1 SPP = 9 BPP). So even though you only get a dozen or so, that handful of MPP outweighs a couple hundred Battle PP.

I'm almost certain that the color stripe in a given pin's menu description reflects the adjusted PP ratios, and can be used to quickly see which PP type is dominant.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I didn't play the DS version, but I found the iPad controls to be really quite good. The partner combat system is greatly different, from what I've read. Here's a wiki page detailing the changes in Solo Remix. Sorry if this isn't really pertinent to your question.

Actually that's a pretty nice summary of how it's been changed, thanks.

I'm tempted to get it on iPad over iPhone but I never actually play the games i buy on the iPad for some reason. My phone is always in my pocket so I'll finish something eventually.

They also never updated the phone version for an iPhone 5 screen right?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Quick note, if it follows the DS version, you do not need to max a pin on a single type of experience to evolve it, you simply need to have the majority of the PP be from that type to get the evolution.

Caveat, I think, battle PP counts the least in this 'majority', so you don't need over half Mingle if the other half is battle.

I could be 100% wrong through, it's been a long time.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Yeah, you definitely don't have to fill the whole bar with Mingle PP. Tin Pin practice matches only give a pittance per pin, but 1 MPP = 20 BPP (and 1 SPP = 9 BPP). So even though you only get a dozen or so, that handful of MPP outweighs a couple hundred Battle PP.

Oh hey, you're right. When I was filling the gauge with only MPP, the red fraction was tiny, but as soon as I started getting BPP, the red bar shot up to fill like half the bar. I guess the bar only shows the PP in relation to one another. :downs:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Trillest Parrot posted:

He was working on a CSD port for the iPhone but he says he kept running into clock speed and memory issues on older phones so he abandoned it because he didn't want to piss people off.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I would go so far as to say the ios one is the definitive version. The basically made partners an extra badge so you can combo without looking at two screens.

Plus multi-touch son.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm on a game purchasing rip and have just picked up Organ Trail, Bastion, Devil's Attorney and then got in on the free action with Angry Bird: Star Wars and Epoch. On the fence about Waking Mars and Horn (looks like ICO?)

Any RPGs out there that have a battle system similar to Grandia II?

Also, any decent simulations along the lines of Rollercoaster Tycoon or Tropico?

89 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 15, 2013

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Corridor posted:

Oh hey, you're right. When I was filling the gauge with only MPP, the red fraction was tiny, but as soon as I started getting BPP, the red bar shot up to fill like half the bar. I guess the bar only shows the PP in relation to one another. :downs:

I think - and it's been a while since I've played - that the amount the bar is colored in is a cue for how much more experience is needed for evolution, and the color is a cue for what PP is dominant. Mingle counts 20 times for dominance, but mingle PP doesn't make a pin evolve 20 times faster.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rigonauts: I want to buy it but I'm not sure whether it would play better on Steam (PC) or iOS. Are there any differences between the two versions, do the controls work better in one?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

PC would probably be better but you can't take your desktop computer to the couch.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Ok, I'm missing something really basic in TWEWY. How do I see what my characters current stats are? When I go to the items menu I can estimate what BRV I'm at by trying different threads, but there has to be a better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

Al! posted:

He was working on a CSD port for the iPhone but he says he kept running into clock speed and memory issues on older phones so he abandoned it because he didn't want to piss people off.

Understandable, I've been trying not to drop $650 to upgrade my iPhone 4 for about 3 weeks now because it's so sluggish. God drat those things are expensive if you don't want to renew your contract.

• Locked thread